FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Keith Moon ( late drummer of the Who)

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

Does anyone know anything about the late Who drummer Keith Moon driving a car into the swimming pool at the Holiday inn on Bristol road in Flint? ( I think the Holiday inn is now Days inn). I read this on wlikipedia.

I know that Keith Moon lived a pretty reckless lifestyle, but I never heard about this incident in Flint. Someone says that it didn't happen, but Roger Daltrey insists that it did.Can anyoneone out there elaborate?
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:21 am 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

Oh it happened. The party got way out of hand - what a total blast!!!!
The car did end up in the pool - saw it with my own eyes!
I don't know if the FJ reported it, I'm pretty certain they did?
YUP it happened!
Old hippie has to go now. Some memories to relive. LMAO
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:39 am 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

Geez, wish I was better with dates. The Police came, I'll bet there is an old police report filed somewhere about the incident. A lot of "groupies" were there - but we're all old now.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:43 am 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

Also, it did'nt happen at a Holiday Inn on Bristol Road.
It took place at a hotel near the corner of Court and Center. It used to be a Howard Johnsons but has changed handlers many times through the years. It may still be a hotel, its next door to Courtland Center.

I'll call a few friends I was with and see if they have anything to add. We were a bunch of hippie wild girls - Keith Moon was a wild child, a very cool guy. It was one of the wildest parties I was ever at - and there were a few. I'm pretty sure one of the girls took some pics of the "event". I'll try to dig them up.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:26 am 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

Wow, So it really did happen and you were there ? I'll bet it was a wild party.

Courtland center , was that called Eastland mall a few years back. If so, I remember a Howard Johnsons there. I grew up in Flint, but I was a little bit too young when that would have occured. Someone on this site said that the who played at Atwood stadium. Did this incident occur at the same time ?

Thanks for sharing WHAT!?. Thats prettyt cool. Not many people can say that they partied with Keith Moon.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:45 am 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

Ponycar - a lot of people partied with Keith! Back in the day - there used to be a place called Sherwood Forest - it was out north of Davison, around Richfield, Henderson roads I think. A lot of great bands played there when they were getting a start - Dick Wagner & the Frost, Grand Funk, Bob Seager, Frigid Pink, Alice Cooper are just a few I recall seeing there.

It was some great times - listening to the bands play and talking with the members as they mingled with the crowd. Very laid back - no security in the way. Mark Farner is another whose eye I caught and got to know a bit better - of course that was 4 kids and 60#'s and over 40 years ago. Embarassed

Thanks for taking me back to the good old days!
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:18 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

This was talked about previously at
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=15489#15489

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 pm 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

What!?,thank you for sharing your stories about the good old days. I enjoy reading them.

I remember Sherwood forest. I never went to concert there. I was just a few years too young back then. I do remember when Bob Seger was there. I remember hearing it adverised on the radio ( the old WTAC, AM 600)when he was nothing more than local talent and the rest of the world knew nothing about him. That would have been so cool to talk with the band members while they mingled. I saw that 2 of the former members of Grand Funk are with the silver bullet band now ( Don Brewer, and Craig Frost). I saw them back in December here in Nashville TN.

They claim that Keith Moon wasn't just desructive when he was partying. He tore stuff up all the time and was notorious for trashing hotels and flushing cherry bombs down the toilet, as well as throwing furniture out of the window.
Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:38 am 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Just read Peter C's book, he talks all about it, he was there, it was NOT Keith's actual 21st birthday, Moon was born in 1947, the party was in 1967, do the math.

The hotel was the Holiday Inn on Bristol Road -- I've seen pictures. The car was a Cadillac owned by some guy, it cost the band tens of thousands to replace, Peter C knows the whole story. He also told me the whole thing on camera and its going in my documentary, and he told the Flint Rotary Club. He also recounted this story on VH1.

Book:
http://www.amazon.com/Local-DJ-Rock-Roll-History/dp/1401041639

Peter C's website (note Moon article and photo, shame the link to the Moon story is dead)
http://wildwednesday.com/

As for the drinking age in 1967, I dunno that's a good point and worth asking.
Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:31 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

If you read my previous note in another thread, Keith Moon's ashes are at Golders Green Crematorium in London, England. Keith's marker there gives the final word.
http://tinyurl.com/23mv4g

quote:
KEITH MOON
'WHO' drummer
1946-1978
"There is no substitute"

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:25 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: