FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Chevron profits soar.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

...no....the WORLD is screwed if we don't find and use RENEWABLE sources of energy...

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I do not have the resource in front of me but as I understand it, we have enough oil reserves to last well over 1,000 years. The problem is the use of carbon based energy is bad for the earth and atmosphere and currently we do not even have enough facilities to refine oil to keep up with the demand.
The track we are one is not a good one for anyone. I still do not like the idea of the oil giants ram rodding the public.
Russia limits their oil companies to just $21.00 a barrell but they sell it for world market price so the government takes the rest.
Richard
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:37 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
Oil companies are making 4 times the profit they did just a couple years ago. When is enough enough?

Richard

fyi...according to financials posted on Chevron website:

2004 profit margin 8.81%
2005 profit margin 7.28%
2006 profit margin 8.36%
2007 profit margin 10.00% (through 6/30/07)

Hardly a quadrupling of profit. Even if you look at bottom line profit in dollars:

2004 profit $13.328 billion
2005 profit $14.099 billion
2006 profit $17.138 billion
2007 profit $5.38 billion (through 6/30/07)

That is nowhere near "4 times the profit they did just a couple years ago."
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:09 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

The numbers you are looking are obviously posted by Chevron. I read this article in the Flint Journal about their profits being so high. Now, from how you are defending Chevron you must be an oil man. I for one simply point out what I've read and feel for the little guy.
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:15 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
The numbers you are looking are obviously posted by Chevron. I read this article in the Flint Journal about their profits being so high. Now, from how you are defending Chevron you must be an oil man. I for one simply point out what I've read and feel for the little guy.

That's funny. I am not an oil man.

Rather than point out "what I read" (which you can't seem to supply), I look for the truth.

The numbers I posted are from audited financial statements.

Wake me up when you want to state a fact and back it up rather than
spew your opinions (as fact) which have no basis in reality.
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:35 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:

which proves we must be careful about what we read and where......
the internet is full of BS.

its not always intuitively obvious to the casual observer [which most of us are about such matters] what the truth is and what the fiction is.

its ok to "feel" for the little guys, but lets not act on emotions, they too often betray us. Lets make sure we have a factual basis and that the actions are comensurate with same.

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:19 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: