FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint City Ordinance - PLEASE help

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
IMSilverstar
F L I N T O I D

Hi ~ I just found this forum and am looking for answers. How do I find out about rules and regulations and other such topics... specifically city ordinance codes or rules. I have a problem with a new company/business who moved into the building behind my house - it's run by youngins' and they are mouthy/loud/druggin and just plain obnoxious as late as midnight (just last night) in the parking lot that butts up to my backyard. I can say that (youngins) cuz I am still one of 'em Smile Anyhow, isn't it past "10:30pm" that you have to keep noise down? What can I do? Calling the cops seems like a futile/useless move. One of my neighbors already had a shouting match with them... A friend of mine tried the nice route, only to be duped by the manager himself who LIED lied lied to him, when he tried to advise them about the nightly incidents. It was the manager who ended up being one of the obnoxious late nighters! We've started getting dirty, right back, since they don't seem to give a $hi! about their residential backyard neighbors. I won't go into details, but there are worse dirty tricks up our sleeves, which they will soon find out for themselves. More posts to come. Thanks for any advice.
Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I would not suggest you retaliate with dirty tricks unless you want to become part of a larger problem. You don't state the neighborhood you're in or the type of business you're complaining about. If it's a legitimate business within the city the owner should have a license to do business. Check with the Flint City Clerk to verify, then file a complaint.

Here are some other sources for you:

1. Name and address of business and owner:

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/clerk/index.htm

2. Flint City Ordinances (through 4-25-05). If you have a concern about a later revision, call City Clerk's office for current version of particular ordinance number.:

http://www.amlegal.com/library/mi/flint.shtml

3. Property ownership (On the City rolls, property owner may not reside at subject address so note both; County may be most current as far as deeds are concerned.):

a. http://taxes.cityofflint.com/search.asp
b. http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/rod/

4. Call in nuisance complaints to your local Flint Police Department Mini-Station for referral to appropriate department:

http://www.cityofflint.com/Police/mini_station.htm

Be specific. Give name and address of the complaint subject. State your complaint, i.e., noise, curfew violation by minors, drug house, etc. (Be specific, get description of people, vehicle description and license plate number if possible, time of day/night of occurrence, etc.). In some areas neighbors have become so outraged they've taken pictures or obtained video of the offense being complained about. If there's no one at the mini-station and you're unable to leave a message try calling and leaving a message for your city council representative during normal business hours. There are two phone numbers shown for Council Secretary, 766-3154 and 766-7418. http://www.cityofflint.com/clerk/ccouncil.asp

There are are also community watch and neighborhood groups in the city where you can share your concerns. Say which ward you're in and maybe someone else will pitch in here with more information. The West Flint Community Watch meets second Thursday each month at 7 p.m. in the Zimmerman Center on Corunna Road.
Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:51 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

It sounds like you are getting great advice and agitating them will only make matters worse. Do it legally via the routes advised. In todays world you do not want to end up dead from a confrontation.
Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:11 am 
IMSilverstar
F L I N T O I D

Thank you so much for the input! You're right, of course. But, I did find out yesterday at the city Police headquarters that they do not allow you to file a complaint (actually, they told me there is no complaint to be filed) if I was not physically harmed or threatened. They gave me advice & contact info for community policing, however.

I live in the community near the NE corner of Miller and Ballenger. The business in question used to be a pediatrician's office, but now I am under the belief that they are an office for Kirby vaccuum sales people. The address of this business is 3600 Miller Road. (I checked yesterday on the way home from the police station.)

Thanks again for the helpful input!
Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

You could possibly contact the national headquarters for Kirby and lodge a complaint with them. I'm sure they do not want negative press about them and perhaps they could help in some way.
Good luck!

Richard

My biggest issue currently is having the boyfriends of the girl across the street from parking in the medium even though there is a sign right there not to do that!
Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:25 am 
IMSilverstar
F L I N T O I D

Richard, my biggest problem right now isn't even the business behind me. It's my neighbor of the past 10 yrs. For the past 5 years, he's been harrassing me about the city tree in my front yard. He has it in his head that it's dead (even though there's obvious fresh green growth every year) and before that he swore it was diseased. I believe he's seriously losing his mind, become senile. He walks around the neighborhood in his robe at least once or twice a week. Mind you, he is picking up trash while in his robe. And, he mows the yards on the other side of the street (for those one-roomed schools, turned community classrooms) because "when they mow, they leave clumps". I kid you not. He hauls out all his equipment, trolley, leaf bags, trimmer and blower, and goes to town at least once a week making the neighborhood he looks at every day appear pristine. (Boy does it make him mad each time I've mowed for 10 years, because I don't bag my clippings - my mower mulches... plus, give me a break! I grew up in the country, we didn't bag our clippings! I think he's a man who needs a hobby, but that's my opinion.) But, then he hauls off and screams and yells at me, all awhile cussing me out, when I haven't picked up quick enough for his liking the couple pieces of limbs or scrap wood that the garbage pickup didn't pick up not 10 hrs ago. He waited all day for me to come home on Tuesday to cuss me out for that one. He starts screaming matches with my friend that helps me out with my yard. He stalked me one evening in May, and the whole stupid ordeal became out of control. That's why I was at the police station last night, finally trying to take care of this or at least get a complaint on file. I was raised to respect my elders, which is why it's hard for me to start all this police action. But, he's asking for it. I also found out last night that he threatened to kill the neighbor behind us (not the business, but someone near them). So, I'm going to go ahead and file for a restraining order, something the officer last night advised, and the community policing operator advised me of also, today on the phone. It burns me that his actions towards me are causing this much upset in my life, this much time out of work, etc. The court house is of course only open 8-5 mon-fri. But, maybe he'll get the picture after all of this, or maybe the comm policing will work with him and his doctor to get him some meds. Laughing I just want him to leave me alone.
Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:46 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Silverstar, your first message was asking help, for city ordinance information (possible noise, curfew and drug violations by operators of the business behind you). Now you switch and say your problem is an 80-year-old neighbor who volunteers to cut and bag grass on two properties owned by the Flint School District across the street, because he complains that you haven't picked up fallen limbs on your property and the trash haulers didn't pick up scrap wood (they don't pick up building materials). What a contrast!

Rather than file a PPO against your neighbor for shouting at you wouldn't it just be much easier to keep fallen limbs picked up and set out in bags for trash on pickup day? Save yourself some grief and do what you can personally in a positive way and try to mend the rift. Few have lived so long, and cared so much, that they actually go so far as to do what he has taken upon himself to do. Granted, it's hard to listen to someone who's shouting and not listening themselves. Maybe he's hard of hearing? But if you can just find the patience to listen without shouting back, he may calm down. And if you can keep calm yourself, interject a calm word, tell him he needn't shout, that you can hear just fine without the need for shouting--and mean it. Let him know you appreciate what he does for the neighborhood--just think what it would look like if he didn't cut the grass across the street. He thinks nobody cares about the neighborhood but him and the few other original owners left on the street. [Besides, have you considered this physical activity may well be his hobby, and fully endorsed by his heart doctor?]

If you haven't really given much thought to the appearance of the neighborhood than the street you live on because you're so close to a major intersection and don't see anything else, or because you're from the country and things are different there--take a drive around the side streets between Miller Road and Court Street, and between Ballenger and Pershing (Hammerberg). What you see may shock you, and give you a little more appreciation for an old man who grew up during a time when homeowners took pride in maintaining their property. He is not just picking on you, he is upset by neglect all around us, and takes it out on those closest by. If it were me, I'd rather pick up tree limbs than be shouted at.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out. Smile
Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:37 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: