FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint is 5th in cities losing people...

Moving to Suburbs or Out of State
Suburbs
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Out of State
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

My Flint Journal subscription runs about 2 weeks late but was not surprised to see that Flint is ranked #5 in cities losing people. New Orleans is on top followed by Detroit.
Cannot blame them can you? But, just exactly where are the people going? Are they moving into the suburbs are leaving the state all together?
Richard
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Where are they going? Didn't have a chance to ask before noticing houses abandoned.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Just where are the people going?
Richard
Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:10 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

we're working on it. in the next 3 weeks, we'll see if we can't get improved to like number 1 or 2.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Michigan population

1950 6,371,766 21.2%
1960 7,823,194 22.8%
1970 8,875,083 13.4%
1980 9,262,078 4.4%
1990 9,295,297 0.4%
2000 9,938,444 6.9%
2006 10,095,643 1.6% (est)

Flint population
1950 163,413 7.8%
1960 196,940 20.5%
1970 193,317 -1.8%
1980 159,611 -17.4%
1990 140,761 -11.8%
2000 124,943 -11.2%
2006 117,068 -6.3% (est)

source: US Census

Looks like its a bit of both moving out of state and just to other parts of the state. Flint is losing about 1% (1000 people) per year. At that rate, we'll drop to less than 100,000 by 2024 or so.

I sure wish Flint was more like Kalamazoo. 1/3 less people but such a nicer place to live and so much more to do. Flint can be that vibrant college town if it just makes a few key decisions in the coming decade.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:53 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

At the rate people are getting killed off in Flint the population will be below 100,000 in a matter of no time.
It breaks my heart to see this and there just seems to be there is nothing anyone, or anything, can do to make it better.
Richard
Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:19 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
2006 117,068 -6.3% (est)

2006 111.972 ACTUAL!
Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

not to be a broken record, because its all been said before, but besides the retirees leaving for warmer weather, a lot of kids who have their college degrees are leaving for cities that have jobs available.

The only place I can get a job around Flint with my degree is Crossroads Village... maybe Sloan, but they don't seem to be hiring...

but I could probably go to Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, or Grand Rapids and find a pretty sweet job actually related to my field, instead of just grabbing at straws...
Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:33 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

And that is true. However, Flint is in a prime location for Business to create jobs. I475, 69, US23. 3 major colleges with a highly educated workforce ready to work.

As you said. They are leaving for better areas. The main thing these places have are Lower Crime rates.
Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
And that is true. However, Flint is in a prime location for Business to create jobs. I475, 69, US23. 3 major colleges with a highly educated workforce ready to work.

As you said. They are leaving for better areas. The main thing these places have are Lower Crime rates.

...and better school systems!
Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:52 pm 
Roln19s
F L I N T O I D

As time goes by I am losing more and more friends due to them leaving the state all together or just gettin gout of Flint.

In two weeks a buddy of mine and his wife are moving to Iowa so she can get a job as a school teacher.

Other friends of mine are just waiting to finish school so they can move out of state.

Pretty soon it will be EMPTY, but why? Why does it have to be this way?

Just on the outskirts of Flint it seems SOO MUCH NICER, Why?

Desired Image Custom Club - Flint MI. - President
Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
and better school systems!

For some reason. When crime goes down education seems to get better. Maybe it's the other way around. But they do go hand in hand.
Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:01 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
I could probably go to Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, or Grand Rapids and find a pretty sweet job actually related to my field, instead of just grabbing at straws...

From what I have heard Grand Rapids used to be in a similar situation to ours but they were able to turn things around. I think once the downtown projects that are moving forward open you will begin to finally begin to see some real results.

Flint also seems not market itself at all. Even if we didn't have the crime problem and better schools we would still probably not do that well because from my understanding we have no marketing budget. That's pretty stupid because we have the infrastructure, colleges, and cheap real estate and cheap housing to compete.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:45 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: