FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dale Weighill For Mayor!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Roscoe Van Zandt schreef:
Yah, reduce crime and everything gets better for Flint. NYC hired 30,000 cops, turned around the economy, and bought a computer program that helps find crime hotspots and parks patrol cars there until they go away.

I'm telling you, it's easy to fix Flint's crime problem. If they can do it in a city of about 10 million they can do it in a city of about 100,000.

Unfortunately, thr minute you increase the Police presence in high crime areas, the agitators will be screaming "racism and Police oppression"

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

14,000 days in a GM plant?!!? Man I need to interview you for my film on Flint!! what plant(s)? I just spent a weekend filming Ben Hamper, the Rivethead himself!

Send me a PM if interested or roscoevanzandt@gmail.com
Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:46 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

EXACTLY! Only I believe New York probably didn’t need to hire the officers. Although there were some good arguments for it. The thing is Flint already has more officers per capitia than New York. And we don't have the amount of people coming into flint per capiitia they have either.

On a daily basis I'll bet we have more people leaving flint to work outside of it than we do coming into flint to work!

In New York. While Unemployment doubled, poverty doubled Crime was cut in Half! Then within three years Poverty and Unemployment dropped as Jobs and their economy grew! Because they changed not only their "IMAGE" but the foundation! New York became Safe and was viewed as a safe place to visit BECAUSE IT WAS!! In flint, our Mayor and many o the council and even many running for Mayor believe if we can just change peoples attitudes about Flint. It will get better. (The most ridiculous examples of the power of positive thinking) Because people think it's safe or think its' a good place to be it is! The problem is no one wants to send the message, that we will not accept excuses of Poverty or Unemployment as legitimate reasons for committing crime. And that Criminals should and do need to be put away!

Just because you pave some streets, and make it look nice along the expressway as you enter Flint. That doesn’t change the fact that crime in Flint has risen well over 50 percent in just three years! Breaking an over ten year trend of crime coming down.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Ted, can you publish the Flint police employment and Flint city resident numbers?

In NYC there are 8,143,198 citizens and 37,838 officers, for a ratio of one officers for every 215 citizens. (source: nyc.gov)

Flint has 124,943 residents per 2000 census.

To beat a ratio of 215:1, Flint would have to have at least 570 uniformed Flint officers.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:59 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

285 nearest I can tell from the approved budget. I use the Bidget because that's what Flint's Attorney says is the actual numbers. (sad since I know that those are not correct).

FLint residents 111,948 Survey from 2005 Source: American Community Survey 2005 (actual numbers I've been told by City employees are much less) But I cannot find any good documentation.

Now one thing to remmember about New York. WHile Population may be 8.1 million. It seems to me I remember they almost double in size during business hours. Thus their need for more police. one for every 393.

Flint doesn't increase its population durign th day. If anything. People leave Flint to go to work. Even with the influx from school teachers and county employees.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

There is not 16 million in NYC during business hours. That's Tokyo numbers! I'll find out the commuting numbers; it's high, though, you are right. But NYC has way more police per capita than Flint does. In fact I think its the highest in the world.

You are right that there are likely less than 125,000 in the city limits, and far less than that during business hours when people commute out to jobs in Detroit and other areas; they likely live in the Flint area due to the cheaper real estate.

I was on a NYC bus last summer and some crackhead missed it and smashed the bus door out. The bus stopped, the driver radioed "M14A stopped at 1st ave and 14th street; I got a guy here who just smashed out the door, requesting immediate assistance."

Inside of 40 seconds -- I AM NOT JOKING -- there were 8 NYPD cruisers, 2 undercover vehicles and more blue uniforms and badges flying around than I could count. It was a dazzling, powerful display of police power. 1st and 14th is a major intersection, however.

They made mincemeat outta that crackhead. I mean they knocked him down and piled on top of him like he was a bone thrown to hungry dogs. Not a pretty sight, but it sure sent a message to anyone watching:

"Better wait for the next bus."

ROFL

In all seriousness, Flint needs that kind of safety, that kind of response.
Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:03 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I agree wholeheartedly. Flint needs that type of response. The problem is, in a city with fewer and fewer residents, crime should be going down! Flint continues to hire more officers and crime continues to go up.

WHile just four years ago. Flint had 5 thousand or so more residents and 50 some less officers. AND!! During that time crime was coming down!

This points to directly POOR LEADERSHIP!! However, Flint has always had an underlying problem and our officials ahve been content with an acceptted level of crime being well over the National average. In which they have been unwilling to take action and put these people behind bars.
Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:39 am 
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
I agree wholeheartedly. Flint needs that type of response. The problem is, in a city with fewer and fewer residents, crime should be going down! Flint continues to hire more officers and crime continues to go up.

WHile just four years ago. Flint had 5 thousand or so more residents and 50 some less officers. AND!! During that time crime was coming down!

This points to directly POOR LEADERSHIP!! However, Flint has always had an underlying problem and our officials ahve been content with an acceptted level of crime being well over the National average. In which they have been unwilling to take action and put these people behind bars.

If Dale gets elected I'm sure one of his first priorites will be to name a permanent qualified police chief and beef up the force. Dale will be very tough on crime guys.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:07 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ya Know I like Dale. Him and Neely seem to me to be the best two candidates running. I'm not 100 percent sold yet. I'll be looking forward to digging in and getting some the tuffer questions answered.

I'm sending out a invitation to all the candidates today or tommorrow depending on how much time I have left over (after taping my show tonight.)

I'm curious to see who will respond.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:09 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Unfortunately, thr minute you increase the Police presence in high crime areas, the agitators will be screaming "racism and Police oppression"

Dave,

So What! Who cares if a small group of agitators start crying racism. The racism card doesn't play well anymore. While a few agitators might be trying play the race card, the rest of Flint - including the majority of African Americans would be thankful and praising the reduction in crime. The hard-working, civilized citizens of Flint (black and white) are sick of the thugs that are F%$#ing up this city. Put the hammer down on the criminals..........if 10% of them happen to be black, who cares! If 90% of them happen to be black, who cares!........just get rid of them!

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:20 pm 
philanthropiclady
F L I N T O I D

quote:
JBToolFist schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Dave,

So What! Who cares if a small group of agitators start crying racism. The racism card doesn't play well anymore. While a few agitators might be trying play the race card, the rest of Flint - including the majority of African Americans would be thankful and praising the reduction in crime. The hard-working, civilized citizens of Flint (black and white) are sick of the thugs that are F%$#ing up this city. Put the hammer down on the criminals..........if 10% of them happen to be black, who cares! If 90% of them happen to be black, who cares!........just get rid of them!

I agree we need to put the criminals behind bars. This is not an issue of race but and issue of improving the quality of life for everyone in Flint...Black, White,... all races.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:46 am 
philanthropiclady
F L I N T O I D

Did anyone see the press conference with the candidates on channel 12?
They all did very well I thought. Watch out WILLIAMSON!
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 pm 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

Where is Dale's Headquarters? Someone told me it was at his house, in his bedroom. Most candidates have big campaign headquarters. I am trying to go to them all and talk to the candidates and people working at the headquarters. I called the number on Dales flyers, but never get a call back.

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:29 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Here's the recurring theme about Dale Weighell.

Again and again I hear people say, "he's creepy"

Not sure why they get that impression. I've met the guy and he seems like a decent fella.

But the consensus is that he's odd. I don't think "odd" flies well in the political spectrum.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:04 am 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

So is Dales HEADquarters really at his home and in his bedroom?

quote:
JBToolFist schreef:
Here's the recurring theme about Dale Weighell.

Again and again I hear people say, "he's creepy"

Not sure why they get that impression. I've met the guy and he seems like a decent fella.

But the consensus is that he's odd. I don't think "odd" flies well in the political spectrum.

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:54 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: