FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Wasn't gas prices tied to oil prices?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Joe
F L I N T O I D

quote:
JBToolFist schreef:
Hooray for Dan Fleckenstein and his article in the Flint Journal today.

http://www.mlive.com/flint/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1179663619121160.xml&coll=5

A fine explanation of the real reasons we pay so much at the pump.

Don't miss his point that the world's largest monopoly (The United States government) gets more of your money from the price of gas then the producer, distributor or retailer do.

People need to realize that there is a beast called "The Market" and we're all part of it. It's this beast that really determines what we pay for a gallon of gas, a can of pop, an automobile, etc.

To quote the brilliant mind of Maynard James Keenan. "If I'm 'The Man' than your 'The Man' and he's 'The Man' as well - so you can point that f*&%ing finger up your ass."

This mans saying OPEC cannot control the price of gas,but only for short periods?Thats absurd.Opec publicly announces what many barrels of oil they will pump,just announcing it directly affects the market.As OPEC "knows" an makes statements about,they know they control the price for oil per barrel.We will always have a big demand,so the supply affects the world market alot more than hes accounting for.Sure goverments can tap into their reserves,but "thats only temporarily".Opec gradually jacks the price up per barrel by just maintaining oil pumped with India,China continually needing more barrels of oil.So when they reduce oil pumped that has a major affect on the price per barrel.OPEC is the worlds main supplier of oil and they have "alot" more leverage then Fleckenstein accounts for. As for the State of Michigan collecting 13cents per gallon,the state will always have an arguement on that by claiming we need to fix our roads an we do.We are a Northern State an the ice pockets are created in the winter,then thaw with ice expanding then diapearing into water,this creates holes when our traffic runs over these pockets.A big problem is that Michigan does not contract to make the good quality roads that other States do.This State only makes the roads half as thick as other States to save money,so in only a few years,our roads go to hell. Also as I have mentioned before,(Fleckenstein mentions it also)the number of refineries and the amount of gas their producing have a major factor in the price of gas. Velda in her encyclopedia copied post mentions the demand goes up for gas in the summer with people vacationing,ect, but some Northern States are still using oil to heat their homes in the winter,along with the fact
we in winter need to warm our cars up which affects the amount of gas we burn.In otherwords,our price per gallon for gas will be high for along time. Rolling Eyes
Post Sun May 20, 2007 6:45 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

hey..i was just trying to help the guy find an explanation...

I'm not too happy and accepting about it either, as i pay $70 to fill up my vehicle almost twice per week...

Agreed....Maynard James Keenan is GENIUS!!

Joe, no worries, we could care less if you are the 'gay joe' or not...there's nothing wrong with it, dude! Its funny the great lengths you take to make sure we know that you're not the 'gay joe'. Don't sweat it, man!

Post Mon May 21, 2007 11:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I read the article by Dan Fleckenstein and have to say, "Non-Sense." There is not way you can convince me that the current high price of gas is due to the switch over for summer driving. Gas prices have always been tied to oil prices, or at least that is what the oil company big shots have been saying for years. Need I remind you that everytime oil prices went up so did the price of gas. And when oil prices went down, so did the price of gas. Now we're being told a different story. Come on guys. If gas prices is not tied to oil prices then why did we pay over $3 a gallon two summers ago when oil shot to $78 a barrell? Just what do you think we will be paying for gas if we have a repeat of $70 plus per barrell of oil? I'm thinking over $5 a gallon.
Just a couple months ago gas prices were $1.55 and most places under $2 bucks because oil was at $49.
Do not get doped into such misunderstood information. I for one, do not believe a word of it!
richard
Post Mon May 21, 2007 11:34 am 
Joe
F L I N T O I D

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
hey..i was just trying to help the guy find an explanation...

I'm not too happy and accepting about it either, as i pay $70 to fill up my vehicle almost twice per week...

Agreed....Maynard James Keenan is GENIUS!!

Joe, no worries, we could care less if you are the 'gay joe' or not...there's nothing wrong with it, dude! Its funny the great lengths you take to make sure we know that you're not the 'gay joe'. Don't sweat it, man!

I have exposed the fact you copy some of your posts from the encyclopedia an that upset you no doubt.I could careless if half of Flint turned gay,I dont care,LOL,but Im NOT gay an am not sweating nothing.
My half Spanish girlfriend agrees with me on everything Ive written here. Very Happy
Post Tue May 22, 2007 12:37 am 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

oh no...not upset at all...I'm glad to research and share information to those who seek it, rather than make uninformed decisions about everyday life and their place in the world. Although I dont' agree with all of the post, i found it to be a good layman description of the reasons why gas rises...

Sorry buddy, i don't have some sort of fragile ego that is easily crushed by what you say is 'upsetting me'. And...having a 'spanish' girl friend (is that the equivelent of having a 'black friend'?)---does that mean that you are friendly to the hispanics here? The Spanish are from Europe and have little in common with the latin american hispanics, just as Mexicans are vastly different that Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Central and South Americans..The 'Spanish' are nothing like the latin americans that you see around...Or..are you mistaken in the fact that she only speaks spanish and is not really spanish??

Oh yes, you must be right if your european spanish girlfriend agrees with you!!!.

Post Tue May 22, 2007 12:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Joe
F L I N T O I D

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
oh no...not upset at all...I'm glad to research and share information to those who seek it, rather than make uninformed decisions about everyday life and their place in the world. Although I dont' agree with all of the post, i found it to be a good layman description of the reasons why gas rises...

Sorry buddy, i don't have some sort of fragile ego that is easily crushed by what you say is 'upsetting me'. And...having a 'spanish' girl friend (is that the equivelent of having a 'black friend'?)---does that mean that you are friendly to the hispanics here? The Spanish are from Europe and have little in common with the latin american hispanics, just as Mexicans are vastly different that Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Central and South Americans..The 'Spanish' are nothing like the latin americans that you see around...Or..are you mistaken in the fact that she only speaks spanish and is not really spanish??

Oh yes, you must be right if your european spanish girlfriend agrees with you!!!.

The timing says everything.I post you copied that from an encyclopedia,but did take the time to post it an you start attacking me.You also know what I was talking about when I say my girlfriends half Spanish.No doubt you are the same person who backs Chavez who is allied with Fidel Castro.Fidel Castro has suppressed his people for along time thats why so many former Cuban Nationals rallied in the Miami football stadium in the hopes Fidel Castro passed away.So you no doubt "think" the Cubans an former Cubans are not as good as you an are predjudice against them.Oh but I bet you "think" you back the gays ones,LOL. Very Happy
Post Tue May 22, 2007 1:37 am 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
I read the article by Dan Fleckenstein and have to say, "Non-Sense." ..............................................
Do not get doped into such misunderstood information. I for one, do not believe a word of it!
richard

Well Richard, You certainly are entitled to your own opinion. Just keep blaming those evil corporate Oil/Gas barrons. That'll fix the problem for sure..................as you drive to Mackinaw and Florida every year.

Richard, do you own a pension? or 401K? or Roth account? If so, you like seeing your monthly statement that shows an increase don't you? Well you can thank the evil Corporations for that, because they try their damnest to turn a profit in order to keep their share holders happy. Thank god for profits. Aren't they nice!

Or is it that: they're great if they're tied to your retirement, but otherwise it's just evil greedy Corporations trying to screw us!

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Americans are such damned hypocrits. It's sickening.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Tue May 22, 2007 6:27 am 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

Tool F****** ROCKS!

Post Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I do not believe in having my money being used by companies such as the stock market. I feel the entire stock market is a joke. The people invested in this expecting gains are like fleas on a dogs back sucking the blood out. I make my own decisons and do not invest in the stock markets or 401k's.
I do believe what is happening with big company oil profits is ripping the American public off and the everyday guy in the street is hurt the most from it. We as Americans are very stupid and the only thing Americans ever seem to worry about is money. The well-to-do's do not have a problem paying for their gas but when my employees cannot even fill their cars up to go to work due to these high prices, something is wrong.
I work 65 hours a week and have so for years to gain what I have and have done it without investing in some publicly traded wall street company.
And "Yes" we can have our cake and eat it too providing the extremely greedy oil companies would quit making these outrageous profit for their stock holders. When the CEO retires from Mobil and gets a "One-Half Billion" dollar buy out, something is wrong. When the CEO for BP Oil leaves under a cloud of dust and gets a "200 Million" dollar buy out, you have to admit there is something wrong in Denmark guys.
Pay the price they charge at the pumps and smile since it appears as if you can afford it more so than I.
For the record, no Mackinaw trip this year since the cost of fuel would be about $1500. Now think of it this way: No trip due to the high cost of fuel, no hotel rooms, no food along the way, no maintenance on the vehicle being paid out, no State of Michigan tourist money spent, no Mackinaw souviners to take home. It all comes full-circle guys. About $5000 per trip to Michigan (which I usually do 2/3 times per year) and now nobody gets any of my money DUE TO THE HIGH COST OF GAS! and I will not be the only one not travelling this summer!
Post Tue May 22, 2007 10:30 am 
Joe
F L I N T O I D

I agree with most of what Richard says as I have posted before.Its not reasonable for someone to talk this bull about have your cake and eat it to,when Oil companys are making all time record profits when at the same time were being charged all time record prices per gallon of gas.An yes Opec plays important part in the price of gas per gallon.I do believe in stocks an bonds though. Very Happy
Post Tue May 22, 2007 10:51 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Joe schreef:
I agree with most of what Richard says as I have posted before.Its not reasonable for someone to talk this bull about have your cake and eat it to,when Oil companys are making all time record profits when at the same time were being charged all time record prices per gallon of gas.An yes Opec plays important part in the price of gas per gallon.I do believe in stocks an bonds though. Very Happy

huh?

what does this mean: "Its not reasonable for someone to talk this bull about have your cake and eat it to,when Oil companys are making all time record profits when at the same time were being charged all time record prices per gallon of gas"

don't understand what point you are making.

oh and if you believe in stocks, why not buy oil company stocks then and share in their success?

Post Tue May 22, 2007 4:38 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Exxon made record profits last year ($39 billion)

They also paid record taxes to the government ($28 billion)

THANK GOD FOR EXXON!
THANK GOD FOR PROFITS!
THANK GOD FOR CORPORATIONS!

If it weren't for businesses, you- the average american citizen would have to pay about 90% of your income to the government to support this country and it's spoiled rotten citizens.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Tue May 22, 2007 5:57 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Keep buying CITGO gas and you too, can support a dictator like Chavez.
Post Tue May 29, 2007 9:45 am 
Joe
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
Keep buying CITGO gas and you too, can support a dictator like Chavez.

I have not bought Citgo gas in over two years.I have been overseas most of the time.Although I did say unfortunatly,most people will go there anyway
if Citgo is a few pennys cheaper per gallon.I would not make these posts if
I liked Citgo an Chavez.I have agreed with most of what you have said. Smile
Post Tue May 29, 2007 10:57 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Your a really good writer Velda, thanks for your opinion!

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
Even when crude oil prices are stable, gasoline prices normally fluctuate due to factors such as seasonality and local retail station competition. Additionally, gasoline prices can change rapidly due to crude oil supply disruptions stemming from world events, or domestic problems such as refinery or pipeline outages.

Seasonality in the demand for gasoline - When crude oil prices are stable, retail gasoline prices tend to gradually rise before and during the summer, when people drive more, and fall in the winter. Good weather and vacations cause U.S. summer gasoline demand to average about 5 percent higher than during the rest of the year. If crude oil prices remain unchanged, gasoline prices would typically increase by 10-20 cents from January to the summer.

Changes in the cost of crude oil - Events in crude oil markets were a major factor in all but one of the five run-ups in gasoline prices between 1992 and 1997. About 47 barrels of gasoline are produced from every 100 barrels of crude oil processed at U. S. refineries, with other refined products making up the remainder.

Crude oil prices are determined by worldwide supply and demand, with significant influence by OPEC. Since it was organized in 1960, OPEC has tried to keep world oil prices at its target level by setting an upper production limit on its members. OPEC has the potential to influence oil prices worldwide because its members possess such a great portion of the world’s oil supply, accounting for about 40 percent of the world’s production of crude oil and holding more than two-thirds of the world’s estimated crude oil reserves. Additionally, increased demand for gasoline and other refined products in the United States and the rest of the world is also exerting upward pressure on crude oil prices.

Rapid gasoline price increases have occurred in response to crude oil shortages caused by, for example, the Arab oil embargo in 1973, the Iranian revolution in 1978, the Iran/Iraq war in 1980, and the Persian Gulf conflict in 1990. Gasoline price increases in recent years have been due in part to OPEC crude oil production cuts, turmoil in key oil producing countries, and problems with petroleum infrastructure (e.g., refineries and pipelines) within the United States. Additionally, increased demand for gasoline and other petroleum products in the United States and the rest of the world is also exerting upward pressure on prices.

Product supply/demand imbalances - If demand rises quickly or supply declines unexpectedly due to refinery production problems or lagging imports, gasoline inventories (stocks) may decline rapidly. When stocks are low and falling, some wholesalers become concerned that supplies may not be adequate over the short term and bid higher for available product. Such imbalances have occurred when a region has changed from one fuel type to another (e.g., to cleaner-burning gasoline) as refiners and marketers adjust to the new product. Gasoline may be less expensive in one summer when supplies are plentiful vs. another summer when they are not. These are normal price fluctuations, experienced in all commodity markets. However, prices of basic energy (gasoline, electricity, natural gas, heating oil) are generally more volatile than prices of other commodities. One reason is that consumers are limited in their ability to substitute between fuels when the price for gasoline, for example, fluctuates. So, while consumers can substitute readily between food products when relative prices shift, most do not have that option in fueling their vehicles.

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: