FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Wasn't gas prices tied to oil prices?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I always thought the cost of gas was directly related to the cost of a barrell of oil. What is the world is going on when oil is at $61 and gas is averaging over $3 bucks a gallon? The last time oil was at $61 we were playing $2.25 a gallon.
The freaking oil companies are just plain SCREWING us and we sit by taking it.
Post Thu May 10, 2007 8:16 am 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

Even when crude oil prices are stable, gasoline prices normally fluctuate due to factors such as seasonality and local retail station competition. Additionally, gasoline prices can change rapidly due to crude oil supply disruptions stemming from world events, or domestic problems such as refinery or pipeline outages.

Seasonality in the demand for gasoline - When crude oil prices are stable, retail gasoline prices tend to gradually rise before and during the summer, when people drive more, and fall in the winter. Good weather and vacations cause U.S. summer gasoline demand to average about 5 percent higher than during the rest of the year. If crude oil prices remain unchanged, gasoline prices would typically increase by 10-20 cents from January to the summer.

Changes in the cost of crude oil - Events in crude oil markets were a major factor in all but one of the five run-ups in gasoline prices between 1992 and 1997. About 47 barrels of gasoline are produced from every 100 barrels of crude oil processed at U. S. refineries, with other refined products making up the remainder.

Crude oil prices are determined by worldwide supply and demand, with significant influence by OPEC. Since it was organized in 1960, OPEC has tried to keep world oil prices at its target level by setting an upper production limit on its members. OPEC has the potential to influence oil prices worldwide because its members possess such a great portion of the world’s oil supply, accounting for about 40 percent of the world’s production of crude oil and holding more than two-thirds of the world’s estimated crude oil reserves. Additionally, increased demand for gasoline and other refined products in the United States and the rest of the world is also exerting upward pressure on crude oil prices.

Rapid gasoline price increases have occurred in response to crude oil shortages caused by, for example, the Arab oil embargo in 1973, the Iranian revolution in 1978, the Iran/Iraq war in 1980, and the Persian Gulf conflict in 1990. Gasoline price increases in recent years have been due in part to OPEC crude oil production cuts, turmoil in key oil producing countries, and problems with petroleum infrastructure (e.g., refineries and pipelines) within the United States. Additionally, increased demand for gasoline and other petroleum products in the United States and the rest of the world is also exerting upward pressure on prices.

Product supply/demand imbalances - If demand rises quickly or supply declines unexpectedly due to refinery production problems or lagging imports, gasoline inventories (stocks) may decline rapidly. When stocks are low and falling, some wholesalers become concerned that supplies may not be adequate over the short term and bid higher for available product. Such imbalances have occurred when a region has changed from one fuel type to another (e.g., to cleaner-burning gasoline) as refiners and marketers adjust to the new product. Gasoline may be less expensive in one summer when supplies are plentiful vs. another summer when they are not. These are normal price fluctuations, experienced in all commodity markets. However, prices of basic energy (gasoline, electricity, natural gas, heating oil) are generally more volatile than prices of other commodities. One reason is that consumers are limited in their ability to substitute between fuels when the price for gasoline, for example, fluctuates. So, while consumers can substitute readily between food products when relative prices shift, most do not have that option in fueling their vehicles.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 2:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Wow! That was a lot of writing to say....America has become dependent on their automobiles and automobiles run on gasoline. Gas companies know that no matter what they charge you HAVE to buy it.
Post Thu May 17, 2007 7:46 am 
Joe
F L I N T O I D

I agree with most of what Velda says.Opec to simply declare they are decreasing oil pumped, jacks the price up per barrel.Our own companys are
a large part of the problem.The number of refineries is very important in deciding the price of gas.There have been no new refineries in the last 10 years,because our oil companys says no communitys want a refinery near them,and why should they invest money in refineries when we are continually searching for alternative fuels.In other words they are making all time record high profits as a result of no new refineries.If you drive accross the United States,you will see the price of gas go down whenever
you drive near a refinery.There are a few community groups lobbying congress against the oil companys,read CNN.Com,foxnews energy section.
Of course tapping into the US reserve is an option.Hopefully something will be done in the near future. Mad
Post Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

I don't understand what people are complaining about.

High gas prices will provide the catalyst for getting away from petroleum and towards alternative fuels.

And seems to be a goal for this country for many reasons, political, economical, security, environment et al.

We should all be chanting $5....$5....$5 per gallon NOW!

Hey Hey, Hey Ho
Cheap-ass gas has got to go
Hey Hey, Hey Ho

This the only way to save the country and the world. So grin and bear it.
If one must some temporary relief, tell the government to reduce the taxes charged as well.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yupp we are getting screwed, and the Bush Administration is allowing it!

quote:
Richard schreef:
I always thought the cost of gas was directly related to the cost of a barrell of oil. What is the world is going on when oil is at $61 and gas is averaging over $3 bucks a gallon? The last time oil was at $61 we were playing $2.25 a gallon.
The freaking oil companies are just plain SCREWING us and we sit by taking it.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Velda!!

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
Even when crude oil prices are stable, gasoline prices normally fluctuate due to factors such as seasonality and local retail station competition. Additionally, gasoline prices can change rapidly due to crude oil supply disruptions stemming from world events, or domestic problems such as refinery or pipeline outages.

Seasonality in the demand for gasoline - When crude oil prices are stable, retail gasoline prices tend to gradually rise before and during the summer, when people drive more, and fall in the winter. Good weather and vacations cause U.S. summer gasoline demand to average about 5 percent higher than during the rest of the year. If crude oil prices remain unchanged, gasoline prices would typically increase by 10-20 cents from January to the summer.

Changes in the cost of crude oil - Events in crude oil markets were a major factor in all but one of the five run-ups in gasoline prices between 1992 and 1997. About 47 barrels of gasoline are produced from every 100 barrels of crude oil processed at U. S. refineries, with other refined products making up the remainder.

Crude oil prices are determined by worldwide supply and demand, with significant influence by OPEC. Since it was organized in 1960, OPEC has tried to keep world oil prices at its target level by setting an upper production limit on its members. OPEC has the potential to influence oil prices worldwide because its members possess such a great portion of the world’s oil supply, accounting for about 40 percent of the world’s production of crude oil and holding more than two-thirds of the world’s estimated crude oil reserves. Additionally, increased demand for gasoline and other refined products in the United States and the rest of the world is also exerting upward pressure on crude oil prices.

Rapid gasoline price increases have occurred in response to crude oil shortages caused by, for example, the Arab oil embargo in 1973, the Iranian revolution in 1978, the Iran/Iraq war in 1980, and the Persian Gulf conflict in 1990. Gasoline price increases in recent years have been due in part to OPEC crude oil production cuts, turmoil in key oil producing countries, and problems with petroleum infrastructure (e.g., refineries and pipelines) within the United States. Additionally, increased demand for gasoline and other petroleum products in the United States and the rest of the world is also exerting upward pressure on prices.

Product supply/demand imbalances - If demand rises quickly or supply declines unexpectedly due to refinery production problems or lagging imports, gasoline inventories (stocks) may decline rapidly. When stocks are low and falling, some wholesalers become concerned that supplies may not be adequate over the short term and bid higher for available product. Such imbalances have occurred when a region has changed from one fuel type to another (e.g., to cleaner-burning gasoline) as refiners and marketers adjust to the new product. Gasoline may be less expensive in one summer when supplies are plentiful vs. another summer when they are not. These are normal price fluctuations, experienced in all commodity markets. However, prices of basic energy (gasoline, electricity, natural gas, heating oil) are generally more volatile than prices of other commodities. One reason is that consumers are limited in their ability to substitute between fuels when the price for gasoline, for example, fluctuates. So, while consumers can substitute readily between food products when relative prices shift, most do not have that option in fueling their vehicles.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 5:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, do you REALLY think Bush controls the price of oil? how about the price of homes? what about the price of corn or milk or cars...does Bush set those too?

have you taken any econ courses in college? I know you don't have to have any higher education to sell things, except specialized courses related to the business, but yikes!!

don't fall into the trap of blaming everything on whatever "party" you don't belong to. Some things transcend any individuals capability, much is just part of the system/process.

usually when emotions and inflamation rise, logic and reason drops correspondingly. What you are seeing is the visceral response of anger and frustration...prices why? because "someone" has it out for us..."someone" is being unfair, someone, someone, well we got to put a face to it....the logical choice someone "up the food chain"...yes a political leader and corporate leaders, and why not make sure they are of the opposite party...yep makes perfect non-sense.

Post Thu May 17, 2007 7:31 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Gas prices have always been tied to oil prices and has been since we began using oil. Did we forget two summers ago when oil prices reached $78 a barrell and gas prices then only reached $3.35 a gallon? Oil is currently hovering around $62 and we are paying $3.50 a gallon for gas? There is something wrong with this picture irredardless of demand this and demand that! What do you think will happen to the price of gas if we have a couple storms hit this summer and oil goes through the roof again like 2005? You will be paying over $6 a gallon, perhaps more! One expert said that the US will never hit the $3 a gallon mark until oil reaches $100 a barrell-guess he got that wrong. This is pure GREED!
As far as having high gas prices to ween us off oil and into more fuel efficent cars, I'm for that except when the oil companies are the ones that are raking in RECORD-RECORD RECORD profits at the expense of the blue collar working man!!!! The man making over $100 grand a year will not feel the gas price as much as the guy making $45 grand or less.
It is time to band together and stop this. If there was a way to just stop buying gas I would do it. But just like everyone in America we cannot due to having to drive to work allowing the one and only thing that matters in America-GREED to run rampant!
Bush and his croonies are oil people and have realized the Demorcrats will be taking over next year so they have to get it while they can because their days are coming to an end.
Once a Republican but now a Democrat! Ho Hillary...
Post Fri May 18, 2007 8:49 am 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

Yep! I agree, Richard...

Post Fri May 18, 2007 4:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"Ho Hillary..."

did you call Hillary a "ho"...?

Bill, yes.....

Hillary, naaaawwww.

Post Sat May 19, 2007 12:16 am 
Joe
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
"Ho Hillary..."

did you call Hillary a "ho"...?

Bill, yes.....

Hillary, naaaawwww.

If there was a woman to be President,I would want Hillary.I wanted Hillary
to be President instead of Bill.She was the better speaker to me.Although I am not a Republican,I like Mitt Romney from our home State Michigan an will give him a good look before I make my final decision.Colin Powel would have been my choice for a black. Here I say I like Hillary to be the Democrat nominie,when any man with common sense an has been in our courts,knows women have every advantage an make up lies frequently.In the Genesee County Court,its not what,or how many lies you can catch a woman in,its when you cannot prove shes lieing,an catching a woman in 20,30 lies means nothing to this court.Its a tunnel vision court where the lie cry rules,regardless of logic.Furthermore men in the system are not a team,but clearly women in the system have tunnel vision an are biased against men in favor of women. Rolling Eyes
Post Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 am 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
I don't understand what people are complaining about.

High gas prices will provide the catalyst for getting away from petroleum and towards alternative fuels.

And seems to be a goal for this country for many reasons, political, economical, security, environment et al.

We should all be chanting $5....$5....$5 per gallon NOW!

Hey Hey, Hey Ho
Cheap-ass gas has got to go
Hey Hey, Hey Ho

This the only way to save the country and the world. So grin and bear it.
If one must some temporary relief, tell the government to reduce the taxes charged as well.

Once again, Biggie hits the nail on the head. " Cry Cry Cry - Boo Hoo, Woe is me, I have to pay $4 for a tank of gas!"- that's all I hear from all the spoiled rotten American consumers. You guys would rather DESTROY your world and let it be your children's problems then make the move to alternative, efficient energy sources.

I say $10 per gallon! bring it on! so the apathetic, fat, lazy Amerian consumer will stop wasting energy and demand alternative sources.

And we wonder why the rest of the world HATES US!

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Sat May 19, 2007 9:31 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I did not call Hillary a "ho' but was saying "Go Hillary." I get excited and type too slow.
I am all for alternative fuels but the world is not ready for them and there is no resource for them. After wathcing a PBS program last evening on fuels and oil, it all falls back to the public demands for bigger vehicles. Even the allmighty Toyota is producing larger vehicles as well as all other imports due to American demands. Ford admitted they can produce a 100 MPG car but the consumer would not be willing to pay for it because techology has not caught up just yet. It would be a Ford Focus with a price tag of $50,00 or more. Are you willing to pay that price, or could you even pay that price!
We have already seen issues with bio-diesel fuels. Additional lands with trees would be demolished to produce this fuel defeating the propose of bio-diesel in teh first place. Hydrogen fuel cells requires as much oil to produce as it does to produce a gallon of gas. Benefit would be no harmful exhaust.
I do not know the answer but when you have 16 million new drivers added to the demands for fuel every year, it will not be long before it all comes crashing down. As far as having $10 a gallon gas, the people hurt here would be the hard working Americans. I make a damn good living but gas at $10 would put a major dent in my pocket.
Hang in there guys, I'm sure the end will be near!
Richard in Florida
(operate a oceanfront hotel and a funeral home)
I fear the hotel would be most impacted by high gas prices and having 65 employees, many would be left without jobs.
Post Sat May 19, 2007 10:41 am 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Hooray for Dan Fleckenstein and his article in the Flint Journal today.

http://www.mlive.com/flint/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1179663619121160.xml&coll=5

A fine explanation of the real reasons we pay so much at the pump.

Don't miss his point that the world's largest monopoly (The United States government) gets more of your money from the price of gas then the producer, distributor or retailer do.

People need to realize that there is a beast called "The Market" and we're all part of it. It's this beast that really determines what we pay for a gallon of gas, a can of pop, an automobile, etc.

To quote the brilliant mind of Maynard James Keenan. "If I'm 'The Man' than your 'The Man' and he's 'The Man' as well - so you can point that f*&%ing finger up your ass."

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Sun May 20, 2007 11:28 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: