FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dr. Cross Daily Log
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Hey Doc, touchy subject. You may be a successful business person and all that, but you could use some help with your diplomacy skills. But I appreciate your candor, and who knows, maybe the voters will too.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:58 pm 
Eastsider
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Cross, you knew exactly what you were doing when you posted your message yesterday ("..this may even lose me the election.") You know darn well that for every one voter who didn't like your message because they're a knuckledheaded bigot, you'll pick up three who appreciate your honesty and conviction. I disagree with you Toolfist. It was a brilliant political move. Plus he knows he'll never be taken seriously by the black community until he's willing to call out his own kind first. I'm onto you Cross Wink
Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:52 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

East and JB. You guys are overanalyzing. I'm just writing how I feel. It is what it is.
Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Spent this morning at the Christ Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church in Flint. Pastor Shelton was kind enough to introduce me to the congregation and I was warmly greeted and welcomed by the members.

On my way back I stopped by University Park Estates to do some door-to-door. This is the first time I’ve been in that neighborhood. The best part was seeing tons of kids riding around on their bikes and playing in the yards. I hate the thought of kids sitting in front of a T.V. and playing video games on a day like today.

Kelly Flynn touched upon the disparity in funding between school districts in her column today in the Flint Journal. She mentioned the organization Citizens for Equity: this is the website: citizensforequity.org
I’m going to learn as much as I can about this organization and if it seems legit (and it certainly does so far)– I’m going to go full speed ahead in support of the organization.

Tomorrow night is the NAACP candidate forum at Hasselbring Community Center on 1002 W. Home Ave. Scheduled for 6pm-8pm.

Peace,

Mike

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:05 pm 
Eastsider
F L I N T O I D

Dr Cross.....don't forget to use your spell check..........since you admit you "DESPISE making grammatical or vernacular errors."

The best part was seeing tons of kids ridding around on their bikes and playing in the yards. I hate the thought of kids sitting in front of a T.V. and playing video games on a day like today.
Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:19 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Sheez! Tough crowd! Smile
Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:35 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Eastsider schreef:
Biggie........Give Cross a break, it was a simple typo

I am NOT trying to bust his chops.

Just friendly continuous improvement advice. The lesson for us all, especially me. We can alswyas imorove our output. I am an admitted hamfisted, single-sausage finger typer. There are about 5-6 key strokes I always foul up, and sometimes don't back and correct. Especially if tired, rushed etc.

BUT.

I am not running for a high profile position in an education-related position. You should strive for 0 defects, that is ZERO.

SO it is done in the spirit of wanting him to put his best foot forward, even when "stepping down" from his soapbox, NOT "stopping down" no pun intended.

We want Doc to look his best always.

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Biggie is write. I must striv two put my best feet forwurd and at all times. their is no exuse for any eror when submiting my thoghts in this vinue. I plegde that I will make no farther typografical erors or miss pelled words or gramaticel erors or colloquiel eror.

Piece,

mike
Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:48 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
CrossSchoolBoard schreef:
Biggie is write. I must striv two put my best feet forwurd and at all times. their is no exuse for any eror when submiting my thoghts in this vinue. I plegde that I will make no farther typografical erors or miss pelled words or gramaticel erors or colloquiel eror.

Piece,

mike

now youse be tawkin' lik' in da hood bro'

Ise sho' be lovin' my 40 of col loq keel.

an a lil vino is be gud toooo

sho' soun lik' Flint to me....

wurd.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Monday, April 30, 2007

Best part of today: ran 6 miles...........Man do I miss exercise! This last two weeks leading up to the election have been non-stop busy.....it feels like forums, interviews and questions 24/7.

Reminds me of being in vet school..........every single waking second was devoted to studying.........and if you weren't studying.......you felt guilty for not:

Every single second not devoted to campaigning makes you feel guilty because you feel like you should be knocking on a door or making a phone call....etc., etc.

Tonight was the NAACP forum. Didn't hit any home-runs, but you can't expect your A game every night. Certainly was fun to watch certain candidates try to rile the audience......my impression: the community has had their fill of the divisive message.

I would like to say this: the last few weeks I have met some wonderful people who are running for the school board..........with the exception of a few candidates.........these are wonderful, dedicated, intellectual people...........people who truly should be leading and giving their expertise and guidance to the community. I look forward to their continued contribution in one way shape or form to the city.

After the forum had to make a 10 pm appt at a studio for the show "meet the candidates." Should air on channel 70 on thursday and sunday. I feel like the interview went well but I have a feeling you'll be able to sense my fatigue.

Tomorrow morning I have a meeting with a parent group at 8am........lecture from 10-12..........take care of Baker business from 12-6 then another forum from 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm.

See you tomorrow.

Peace.

Mike

p.s. Biggie and Eastsider..............no time for spell check.
Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:52 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Busy day:

Stopped by Brownell School this morning to observe the district wide Title 1 Funding Parent Advisory Council. Just so you know, I completely abide by board policies for campaigning on school grounds: I don’t handout literature and I don’t even tell anybody that I’m running for school board unless they inquire first.

I consider myself in the learning/observation phase of being a board member – this means visiting schools, listening to teachers, parents and students and learning as much as possible about the logistics of the school district. It’s amazing what can be learned by just listening to people.

Guess who showed up to address the gym full of parents – Vera Perry. She simply showed up to inform them of the schedule of the hiring of the new superintendent. A simple, kind gesture on her part. A gesture that the parents appreciated. She “gets it” when it comes to understanding that you have to get in the trenches to really understand what is happening within the organization.

Just to remind you………..I plan on spending a ton of time “in the trenches” if elected. I challenge ALL the candidates to do the same.

You’ve heard me say more than once that door to door knocking and campaigning teaches you that it really is a small world…….here’s a good story to reinforce that:

I was sitting at a table with a group of congenial parents. Next to me was a young man. I told him he looked familiar and he said likewise: here’s the review of our conversation:

Me: “You look familiar, did you graduate from Flint Schools?”
Him: “No, I graduated from Saginaw, but you look familiar to, what’s your name”
Me: “Mike Cross, graduated from Southwestern in 1986”

Him: “I graduated from Saginaw in 1986”
Me: “What your name?”
Him: ____ ____
Me: “You played football didn’t you”
Him: “Yes and track”
Me: “That’s how I remember, we were both All Valley in football, and I ran the 1/4 mile against you in track”
Him: “I remember you!”
Me: “You know we beat you in football and I picked your secondary apart that night”
Him: “I remember, but we beat you in the quarter mile relay”
Me: “You beat me by a stride……but you got the baton five strides ahead of me, so I ran a faster time!
Both: “Laughter”

It’s definitely a small world!

Back to Baker to give a lecture to my students on gastrointestinal physiology

Met my staff at Carpenter Road for the Lunch Buddies Mentoring Program.

Back to Baker to address some student issues

On to the University of Michigan African American Student Organization Forum. Maybe you remember me saying I didn’t hit any home runs last night………tonight I was back “on.” At least that was my perception. I hope this forum gets aired on public access. It was a good one with the best questions so far.

Tomorrow…………..evaluate senior student presentations at Central High School during lunch (did this last year at Southwestern and I was thoroughly impressed by the students - great young talented minds)

more door to door and literature drops and mailing.

Thursday ACORN forum for school board candidates at Sylvester Broome Center.

Friday: Committee meeting to plan the last 72 hours of the campaign

Peace,

Mike

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Thu May 03, 2007 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue May 01, 2007 9:46 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Today was eventful.

Took a vacation day from Baker (I say that so that the powers-that-be at Baker know I wasn’t campaigning on company time)

This morning was a first………during my door-to-door knocking I actually met my first resident who wanted absolutely nothing to do with me (or anybody else for that matter).

It went like this:

Walk up the drive way, notice the barbed-wire on the steps leading to the front door (I know what your thinking……..that should have been my first clue) Keep in mind I take this as a challenge though - I’m thinking to myself…… let’s see if I can actually win this person over …………….so I walk around to the side door……….knock, and I hear the back door open and a growling, pirate-like voice comes from around the back of the house and “it” appears………..”What do you want!”…………..me: “ Sorry to bother you…..my name is ,”………”AAAAARGH…..get outta here! I don’t want nothing to do with you”…………me: “ Alrighty then! Have a good day !”

My advice to you…….if you’re ever in the area of W. Court St………….avoid the lady that looks and sounds like a pirate!

At noon I went to Central High School and participated in the Senior Presentations. All graduates of the FCS have to go through an interview/presentation process in which they give a presentation about themselves and their career goals.

I can’t imagine how stressful it must be as a high school senior to stand in front of three complete adult strangers who are solely there to judge your presentations. I graded six students. All were impressive, but five of the six completely blew me away with their success thus far, ambition and professional potential.

Two want to be pediatricians, two want to be nurse anesthetists, one wants to be a veterinarian and one wants to be an orthodontist.

Today confirmed what I already knew. There are many wonderful students and educators within the FCS.

Knocked on more doors after the interviews. Met some good people, interesting stories.

Hit the board meeting at around 8:30 p.m. Ended at 9:00 pm. Relatively uneventful. Which is a good thing considering the turmoil recently.

Tomorrow night at Sylvester Broome Center is the ACORN candidate forum. I think this is the last of the Forums. Looking forward to it – should be fun.

Peace,

Mike
Post Wed May 02, 2007 11:07 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Learned today that I received the Hispanic Caucus endorsement. I was excited to learn this. I really enjoyed the interview process with this group - they asked great/relevant questions. I look forward to working with the Hispanic community....................if you understand long term vision, you recognize that the Hispanic community will continue to be a rapidly expanding, contributing, and powerful voice within the city of Flint. It behooves us to listen to, respect, and welcome their contributions.

Tonight was the ACORN forum (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now.) This was the last of the forums for the school board candidates. The ACORN representatives were very welcoming and congenial………unfortunately we were only able to answer one question. I say unfortunately because I feel like regardless of the venue or audience, the more certain candidates are allowed to speak, the better it is for me.

Like I said previously, most of these candidates are great people, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed getting to meet them and spend so much time with them the last few weeks………..but you can tell we’re all getting fatigued and completely looking forward to Tuesday night when we’ll know the outcome of the election.

I think most of them would have the same sentiment: campaigning is important- and it provides an opportunity and responsibility to get your message out to the public……….but the sooner we get to the election, the sooner we can get to improving the school system – which as you know, is SO desperately in need of improvement…………Yes, there are some great students, parents and teachers associated with the Flint Community Schools……..I see them almost every day…………….but the system is not working……..and we’re losing (hemorrhaging) students and parents at an alarming rate. We’ve got to offer a better product! If we can’t offer a better product to the customers (parents)………..we’re doomed.

Drove through downtown a number of times the last few days: Nice to see so much activity downtown (Semi-Pro movie.) If you’re savvy enough to be reading this, you probably make the connection that how the school district goes – so goes the city. As the city goes, so goes Downtown. If you want a wonderful city…….a vibrant downtown…….you must improve the perception and quality of the school district.

PLEASE! For the sake of the children, the parents, and the city………get out and VOTE on May 8th.

Peace,

Mike

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Thu May 03, 2007 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu May 03, 2007 9:45 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

by "R.R." were you referring to Ronald Reagan?

if so, that person may have meant it as a smear [given the crowd], but I would personally take it as a compliment.

regardless what you think of Ronald Reagan's politics, look at what he accomplished [with a congress that was pro-democrat]....and the challenges faced.

I think most presidential historians have and will continue to rate him highly effective.

he certainly had a leadership style, as did Clinton, that was highly charismatic [vice The Bushes, Carter, etc].

If one examines the presidents in the context of their times [the challenges faced], the relative power [vice congress/judiciary] they had etc. i think we'd have a surprising list of who was most effective, vice who is "remembered" fondly/positively.

for me personally, who did my master's degree leadership training under some very articulate professors in a Jesuit University, I suscribe, personally, to the concept of "servant leadership"

the leader is in fact a servant to those he/she leads. though there are many techniques, methods & styles of "leading", in the end the goal is to provide for the betterment of the people lead.

Post Thu May 03, 2007 11:40 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Biggie9 said: the leader is in fact a servant to those he/she leads. though there are many techniques, methods & styles of "leading", in the end the goal is to provide for the betterment of the people lead

BINGO!
Post Thu May 03, 2007 11:45 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: