FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dr. Cross Daily Log
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

indeed. shame on my spell checker for not being a mind-reader!
Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:10 am 
jackson
F L I N T O I D

I found it interesting that of four incumbents running for election to the Board, ONLY ONE OF THEM -- both submitted the biographical material and bothered to come to the forum. These same incumbents didn't bother to answer the Teacher's Union questionnaire NOR the Great Schools Initiative questionnaire. For public servants to ignore these community organizations is about as arrogant as one can get. Public servants ought to respond to the public; and the League of Women Voters (and the other sponsors of the forum) represent the best of the community in terms of seeking to inform voters on a totally non-partisan way.
Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:34 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Interesting yes, surprising no.

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Just a thought:

We’ve all heard of Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft and one of the wealthiest people in the world. To his credit, he and his wife have started the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/UnitedStates/Education/) which annually awards Billions of dollars to people, cities and educational systems in need.

Whether we like it or not, Flint is on the National “radar” as an impoverished, high crime, low-opportunity city (personally, I don’t agree with the assessment – call me crazy, but I actually enjoy living here.) But anybody from Flint who travels outside the city has experienced the looks of pity and shock when people learn you’re from Flint. The perception of our city to people throughout this country is not positive (a number of factors have contributed to this). I’ve heard people call Flint the “armpit” of the nation (again – to reiterate – I DON”T AGREE – but that’s the perception we’re dealing with.)

So, if that’s our perception throughout the country – then we might as well use it to our benefit: Any organization that truly wants to do a good deed should look to us first. My question is this: why can’t we build a coalition of people to proactively pursue funding from sources such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation? My understanding is that this is not an original idea - other individuals from the city have had this exact idea before, but without much success because they couldn’t get the support/teamwork necessary from Flint School officials (I won’t mention names – but they wouldn’t surprise you)

Ask yourself this question. Of the candidates for the board of education, which ones would you want preparing a proposal, traveling to Seattle, sitting across from Allan Golston (President of the Gates’ U.S. Program) and making the pitch for Flint Schools?

Just a thought.
Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:27 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

If we really wanted a chance to get the money, I'd want Herb Cleaves.

He'd threaten the guy with calling him a racist if they didn't fork it over.

And failing that, he'd verbally assault the guy....

and failing that, he'd be pretty likely to beat the snot out of him to get it......

plus a few extra benjamins for Herbie's car fare home.

its true.

Wink

now if you qualified that by restricting the FCS rep to civilized, non-thugzz behavior, THAT'S a different scenario altogether.

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:15 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Today: back to the most fun part of campaigning – door to door knocking.

My favorite stories:

90 year old Mary Agnes: “You look too young to be a veterinarian” Mary Agnes is my new favorite nonagenarian

Knocked on a door and a lady pulled the blinds aside and looked out at me………I noticed she was in a wheelchair and looked quite debilitated. I made an eye and hand gesture suggesting to ignore me and don’t come to the door………….I started to write her a note on one of my campaign handouts and before I knew it she was opening the door and confronting me for bothering her.

I explained to her who I was and that I’m running for school board and that I’m sorry for troubling her. She recognized my name and immediately warmed up to me and she informed me of the following:

“Young man…………I already voted for you through an absentee ballot………I don’t even have any children, but I’m just sick of hearing about what is going on at that school system……….I’m going to pray for you…….because you’ve got a headache coming!”

These are the kinds of interactions that make walking 10 miles, all worth it.

Had an interview with the Hispanic Caucus tonight at 7pm. I thought it went well- but again, that’s my biased opinion. I get a thrill out of talking to people about my passion for education and ideas for improvement of the school system. They will announce their endorsements early next week.

I notice one of the candidates is trying to get the pot stirred up by denouncing some of the other candidates. Good for him, nothing wrong with a little passionate discourse. I'm not sure what voting records and private family decisions have to do with fiscal management, long-term vision, organizational integrity and a school system's return to greatness.........but hey.....we all need a cause.......give em' heck A.C.

Peace

Mike

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:19 pm 
Nailpro514
F L I N T O I D

Keep pounding the pavement Mike, it's going to pay off! Very Happy
Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:34 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Friday, April 27, 2007

Finished and turned in my campaign finance report that was due today. Felt like I was back in accounting class. Entry after entry after entry - yuck!

Door to door knocking tonight. Connected with a few people. Ran into an old Baseball coach from an opposing team. Didn't recognize him at first without his cap on. He's retired from the district now. You can sense the frustration and discouragement in the retirees from the school district when you talk to them. It kills them to see the state of the FCS now. Didn't recognize him without his cap on.

Talked to a parent who is VERY unhappy with the dress code policy. Explained to her that there is strength in numbers and if enough parents have an issue and voice their opinion then the school board must listen. Personally I like the idea of school uniforms - but my opinion is not as important as the customers opinion. I think the teachers would be the best judge of whether they are effective or not.

However, with any issue, if the majority of the customers (parents) are asking for a policy change, then you MUST listen to them.

Got a call from a reporter at the Journal. Turns out not a single school board candidate has a perfect voting record for school board election/issues.
Shame on us - but I'm not sure that voting records have anything to do with ability to make rational, responsible decisions for the district. But I understand it sends the wrong message when a candidate for office doesn't have a perfect voting record. I didn't bother explaining to him that I was out of state for 3 of the 4 that I missed - but that's no excuse -I could have gotten absentee ballots right! And if you're like me, you HATE excuses.........so I didn't even bother to explain.

Like I tell my employees, mistakes are not as bad as excuses. Mistakes allow us to recognize areas that need improvement. Excuses just frustrate the boss and make them not want to point out mistakes in the future, so the company ultimately suffers. Does that make sense?

Full day of hitting the streets tomorrow. Getting down to crunch time.

Peace,

Mike
Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:08 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Here’s the first thing you learn about door-to-door knocking: It’s a small world! It’s amazing how closely everybody in Flint is connected. You’ve heard how everybody in the world is only six degrees of separation from anybody else? In Flint, it’s 2 people. Take any two citizens of Flint, and there is a common person that they both know.

This SHOULD be a positive thing. It should tell us how closely connected we all are. The frustrating thing is that we still divide ourselves along demographic, geographic and racial lines. The following comment may lose me some votes…..………heck, it might even lose me the election……but I’ll say it anyway…….. I’m disappointed how many white people feel comfortable making racially inappropriate comments to me. It’s frustrating that we’re living in the 21st century and we still have to deal with that crap. Don’t get me wrong……..I know darn well the same type of comments and sentiments are being voiced on the other side of the racial line……so shame on both sides. But until we’re smart enough to recognize that “race” is an arbitrary concept, we’ll never move forward. Let me give you an example: There is more variation in DNA between all the countries of Africa, and between all the countries of Europe, then there is between 21st century Americans.

Put another way, I am more closely related genetically to my friend Fred (an African American Flint citizen) then my friends David from England and Geanne from France are related to each other(even though Dave and Geanne both appear “white.”) Don’t believe it? Ask your friendly neighborhood geneticist to explain it to you.

Do you really want Flint to be a great city? Do you really want Flint to rise from the ashes? Vote for the future leaders that want what is best for the City as a whole, NOT what is best for a particular faction.

If you think this election is about White vs. Black and Black vs. White........then please don't vote for me!.....if you want what is best for the children and future of this city...........then I'm your man.

And now I stop down from my soapbox.

Peace,

Mike

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:51 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"And now I stop down back off my soapbox. "

yow!!! and back to English class for you too Doc!

know what you mean though.

amazing how many people don't understand cause and effect; nor the meaning behind behind Dr King's words, on BOTH sides of the racial line.

oh well.

and that IS a deep subject.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Biggie........you found my weak spot. I DESPISE making a grammatical or vernacular error.......It's the ONLY thing in life I'm anal about.........so I went back and corrected. But thank you for noticing.
Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:30 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
CrossSchoolBoard schreef:
Biggie........you found my weak spot. I DESPISE making a grammatical or vernacular error.......It's the ONLY thing in life I'm anal about.........so I went back and corrected. But thank you for noticing.

ok, but parse that one carefully.

stop or step?

"Truckin, up to buffalo. been thinkin, you got to mellow slow
Takes time, you pick a place to go, and just keep truckin on...."

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:36 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

AAAARGH!

Cut me some slack dude! Smile
Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:43 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Here’s the first thing you learn about door-to-door knocking: It’s a small world! It’s amazing how closely everybody in Flint is connected. You’ve heard how everybody in the world is only six degrees of separation from anybody else? In Flint, it’s 2 people. Take any two citizens of Flint, and there is a common person that they both know.

This SHOULD be a positive thing. It should tell us how closely connected we all are. The frustrating thing is that we still divide ourselves along demographic, geographic and racial lines. The following comment may lose me some votes…..………heck, it might even lose me the election……but I’ll say it anyway…….. I’m disappointed how many white people feel comfortable making racially inappropriate comments to me. It’s frustrating that we’re living in the 21st century and we still have to deal with that crap. Don’t get me wrong……..I know darn well the same type of comments and sentiments are being voiced on the other side of the racial line……so shame on both sides. But until we’re smart enough to recognize that “race” is an arbitrary concept, we’ll never move forward. Let me give you an example: There is more variation in DNA between all the countries of Africa, and between all the countries of Europe, then there is between 21st century Americans.

Put another way, I am more closely related genetically to my friend Fred (an African American Flint citizen) then my friends David from England and Geanne from France are related to each other(even though Dave and Geanne both appear “white.”) Don’t believe it? Ask your friendly neighborhood geneticist to explain it to you.

Do you really want Flint to be a great city? Do you really want Flint to rise from the ashes? Vote for the future leaders that want what is best for the City as a whole, NOT what is best for a particular faction.

If you think this election is about White vs. Black and Black vs. White........then please don't vote for me!.....if you want what is best for the children and future of this city...........then I'm your man.

And now I step down from my soapbox.

Peace,

Mike
Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:44 pm 
Eastsider
F L I N T O I D

Biggie........Give Cross a break, it was a simple typo
Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:21 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: