FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Tell me about Mott Park!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
kaypurdue

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so bear with me...

I am thinking of buying my first house this summer, and I am looking at the Mott Park neighborhood. It seems to be pretty safe and the houses are in my price range. Has anyone else lived there, and what's the neighborhood like to live in?

I'm a 26 year old white girl (mostly, I have a little bit of Mexican) and I'm sure you will tell me I am either crazy or utterly stupid for wanting to live in the city... but I do! I'm willing to give it a chance, I have a small shard of hope for the city, and all I really want to do is have my own place that I can care for, paint and keep a dog in (I rent an apartment in Davison right now), live quietly, and behave myself. Flint probably needs more people like that! No politics for me, I'm not into that stuff and I think there are already too many cooks in that kitchen.

I'm well aware of the high rate of crime and lack of city services. I'm not a Davison native, I grew up in Flint (went to Kearsley schools), and spent a number of years dating a guy who lived on the north side. I'm not that naive... or at least I like to think so! Currently I have a steady, decently paying job in Auburn Hills... but I need to live cheaply because I have a LOT of debt I'm trying to pay down. The ideals are there for me too... the city needs more people to live there... and I don't mind bringing the money I earn in Auburn Hills and spending it in the city where it's needed!

I already have a real estate agent... Very Happy

I look forward to your replies. Please be nice. Wink
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 am 
Flinttown John

Mott Park, Carriage Town, College Cultural and south of Miller Rd if you can afford it are alll good places.
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 am 
SL2

quote:
kaypurdue schreef:
I am thinking of buying my first house this summer, and I am looking at the Mott Park neighborhood. It seems to be pretty safe and the houses are in my price range.

I'm a 26 year old (snip) Currently I have a steady, decently paying job in Auburn Hills... but I need to live cheaply because I have a LOT of debt I'm trying to pay down. ... I already have a real estate agent...
I see trouble in Paradise. (1) Home ownership and maintenance are not "cheap" anywhere, especially considering you already have a lot of debt AND work-related travel expenses. (2) Of major concern is the truth in disclosure about buying a house. If you are buying a house where previous owner has claimed 100% homestead exemption on property taxes your property taxes WILL NOT be the same after the sale is reported to the taxing authorities. Once the after-sale adjustments are made, your taxes may jump so high you can no longer afford your house payment. This is one reason many houses are being foreclosed on now--not just because of the ARM (adjustable rate mortgage). Ask your agent to figure what your property tax will be, based on the current market value and sale/purchase price of the property, prior to buying your dream house so you don't get in over your head.

Flint needs homeowners who care, who can and will maintain their property and who won't abandon it for reasons beyond their control due to lack of disclosure prior to sale. You can check licensing for real estate / broker / salesperson here: httpspamfilter://wwwspamfilter.cis.state.mi.us/bcs_freespamfilter/default.asp?profession=realbroke
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:45 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Call Ryan Eashoo @ (810) 243-1234 or check out his website @ http://www.ryaneashoo.com/

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Kay:

My recommendation: look at homes in Flint.
The next 10-20 years will see a turn around in socioeconomic shifts over Genesee County.

Property values will decline fastest in Grand Blanc and Carman Ainsworth over the next 10 years. Flint will see a gradual increase in property values over the next few years and once the foreclosure epidemic settles down in 3 to 4 years, property values will increase in Flint faster than any other municipality.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:20 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

I know quite a few people who live over there. It is a nice city neighborhood and not too expensive. I'm sure they have some problems but I think they have an active neighborhood association and a lot of people who care. You should find out when they meet and attend.
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
kaypurdue

Property taxes... check. I have friends who live in the city now who have already explained that to me, so I take those as well as potentially higher heating/cooling costs and higher insurance into consideration.

I'm looking in a lower price range than what I could "technically" afford based on my gross income (with that, I could buy a house in the suburbs pretty easily, but I'd never get my other bills paid off) so I can do more than just pay the minimums on my other debts, because I would actually like them to be gone someday! And also so I have room in my budget to maintain and even improve my home. I already know what kind of loan I want - 30-year fixed preferably through MSHDA for a lower rate - none of that adjustable or smart-arm stuff or whatever for me, since I've seen those get a lot of people into trouble later on down the road. There really should be more public education out there about predatory lending, subprime lending, etc. Guess we realized that too late.

My commuting expenses aren't too bad... I drive a Honda Civic and spend about $25-$30 on gas per week. I hope I don't get hanged for keeping a Japanese car (that was built in Ohio according to the window sticker!) parked in my driveway in Flint!!
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:03 am 
jackson

Mott Park - and, Glendale Hills (across the River & across the golf course) are two prime areas for great buys in Flint homes. The homes are older, buy very well built -- and the neighborhoods are very good. Mott Park has one of the strongest neighborhood associations in the entire city -- and it works on keeping the area in good shape. Kettering is a good anchor for the city -- and efforts under way to add to Kettering, to upgrade the Hurley area (east of Mott Park) and potential development along the river and along Third Avenue all have great promise for Flint and for Mott Park, specifically. Buying, building up equity, paying less for the house and therfore less in taxes, etc is a smart money move.
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:42 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Also stop by the West Side Police Mini-Station at Bradley and Court Streets (on the north, lower side of the office complex) and ask about the kinds of complaints filed by the neighbors, and in what areas they're reported.
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:50 pm 
omgasmurf

I currently live in Mott Park (rent not own) and I find it to be a grand place to live. But you do get the college parties at night depending where you are at and have drunk girls running down the street.

But I love how the CRIM goes down my street every year and seeing people from the neighborhood come out.

The people who run the Mott Park Association are the friendliest people around. Plus you are a few minutes from anything in the city.
Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:36 am 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

Here's another area that is often overlooked -

As far as I know, it doesn't have a neighborhood name.

The houses are mostly huge. They are also mostly old, so they have a lot of architectual elements and character.

Sorry, but as far as I know, they may also be a little pricey. But, one lady I know is the only one in her family, but she loved the house so much that she figured how to rent rooms to upperclassmen at the local colleges. It pays her mortgage.

But, you never know what a house will go for in this market. So, I wouldn't poo poo the idea before you look at some properties.

And for you other people - It's worth going there just to see 'em!

It's at the Court Street/Miller Road "point."

A couple of the streets in that small neighborhood are Crescent Drive and South Drive. It would be best to check a map before going if you are unfamiliar with Flint. I'm pretty sure there are only two streets that are egresses into the neighborhood. The rest are cul-de-sacs.

And... should you wonder... I have no interest in any of the properties. That neighborhood was on one of my Consumers Energy routes. I just always thought the neighborhood was pretty cool.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Mott Park Neighborhood Association website has a great deal of information that you may find interesting and helpful. It looks like an active group.

http://www.mottpark.org/
Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 pm 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Mott Park Neighborhood Association website has a great deal of information that you may find interesting and helpful. It looks like an active group.

http://www.mottpark.org/

It is a very active group.

I haven't covered it's meetings myself for a few years, but it usually has between 80 and 125 or more people at each meeting (including city, county and sometimes state officials) and interesting guest speakers.

By the way folks,

Its okay to go to neighborhood meetings even if you don't live in the neighborhood or if you don't have an item on the agenda.

Go and listen. Or talk. Give ideas. Get ideas. God, help me for saying it...but, network.

Sometimes the groups have modest refreshments. Usually there are interesting handouts (fliers, etc.).

Who doesn't love a good handout?

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:08 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Also feel free to check out the Mott Park Neighborhood Associations Web Site:

www.MottPark.org

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:31 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: