FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Michigan Historic Preservation Network Conference in Flint!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Hey strangers. Long time no see.

So, next week, the Michigan Historic Preservation Network is holding it's annual conference in downtown Flint, mostly at the Masonic building, but also with other little events in other places.

I go to these things nearly every year, regardless of where in the state they are held, and I have been waiting years for it to be held in Flint. I am actually flying up from Georgia to attend. I would LOVE to have a great turn out to rival the attendance at some of the past conferences. Unfortunately, few, if any, of the media outlets have picked up the information and press releases sent to them yet. (Maybe they are waiting until next week?).

Anyway, if you even think you are at all interested in attending this conference (it's not all about old houses - it's economic recovery, a little heritage tourism, and some awesome tours) please check out the website MHPN.org and learn more about the organization and the conference.

If attending the entire conference seems a bit pricey to some of you, please keep in mind that there are a number of free events open to the public (the Community Open House and Vendors' Showcase and Keynote Address by Terry Schwarz on "Historic Preservation and Urban Regeneration" for example). Also, there are a few seminars and tours that are available to the public by buying a ticket (think of it as conference a la carte, if you will).

Tours and seminars open to the public include:
"The churches and stained glass windows of Downtown Flint" (tour)
"Applewood: Learn to read a historic landscape" (offsite seminar)
"Mid-Century Modern in Flint" (tour)
"Bricks, Bridges, and Buildings: Twilight walking tour of Downtown Flint"
"Restoration and Reuse of the Stockton House" (offsite seminar)
"Incentives for Preservation Projects" (seminar)

I hope to see some of you there. It's going to be a really great conference.

Ciao!

Post Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

So, the ad below my original post is a vinyl windows ad. Seriously, do you know how annoying that is for a preservationist?

Post Thu May 03, 2012 12:38 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I hope some of you had an opportunity to come out to the MHPN Conference this past week. It was fantastic, and yes, we did exceed the registration from last year (despite little or no media coverage)! I heard so many positive comments, not only about how vibrant and diverse Flint's downtown is, but also about how awesome the city's architecture is, particularly its Mid-Century Modern architecture.

While some of the city's negative reputation seems to have preceded it, the attendees that I spoke to all were pleasantly surprised by what Flint had to offer its residents and visitors, and most of them said the same thing: "We will be back!"

Post Sun May 13, 2012 2:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: