FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How High will our water bills go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

When you hace no idea what the hell your doing like Walling and Brown you have two choices. You either hire a consultant or continue to hold meetings to study the problem.If you really want to know the answer,just follow the money. These guys will just keep stalling until the state or Washington comes up with enough cash to get started and they can start lineing their pockets with contractor profits. We have had plenty of time to gather the facts now all we need is someone with balls to make the decision as to the best way to get started and get moving. We either have the money to join pipeline authority or we dont. If we don't then lets stop wasting time and start our own system by using the Flint river. The river had plenty of volume when we had a 100,000 people years ago and GM was dumping all their waste in the river. Now that they have moved on to polute some other country we should be able to supply our own water? Let me make you an offer Dayne /Mike give me the plus and minus list and I,ll give you an answer in 48 hours.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County to pay Flint $1 million to use Flint River as emergency backup source

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County to pay Flint $1 million to use Flint River as emergency backup source

Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 4:22 PM Updated: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 4:22 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com

View full sizeFlint Journal file photoA group kayaks down the Flint River in Flushing.
FLINT, MI -- Genesee County will pay the city of Flint about $1 million a year for the right to use treated Flint River water as its emergency backup water source, officials said.

The communities had an informal understanding for years, but recently put it in writing in a three-year contract, said Genesee County Drain Commissioner Jeff Wright.

"Basically, we formalized an agreement which should have been formalized a long time ago," Wright said. "The way it was, there was no guarantee. In this business, you need guarantees."

For the $1 million from Genesee County, Flint must supply the county up to 10 million gallons a day of treated Flint River water in an emergency situation. If the city can't guarantee that amount, it has to repay the money, Wright said.

The contract was signed by emergency manager Michael Brown, but originated under Flint Mayor Dayne Walling's administration, Wright said. The set rate will be reviewed at the end of the three-year contract.

He said the agreement is just another example of recent collaboration between the city and county.

"This has been an evolution of working together," he said.

Genesee County needs to have a backup source in case its system is incapacitated in an emergency, such as a major water pipeline break, power outage or contamination.

Wright said there's no problem with the quality of treated Flint River water.

"The long-term problem with Flint water is the volume," he said. "There's enough to use in emergencies, but to use it on a long-term basis, there's a question on capacity."

The city also uses the Flint River only as a backup system. Flint buys its water from the Detroit system and sells it to Genesee County.

Wright said the county was already paying about $1 million to $2 million each year to Detroit as a "pass-through" fee. Now, the money will go to Flint instead of Detroit, he said.

"This contract eliminated that (fee to Detroit)," Wright said. "We're trying to keep as much of the money here as possible."

In total, Genesee County pays about $12.5 million for its water. About $500,000 of that is markup for the city's costs, such as energy, chemicals and labor, he said.

Kristin Longley can be reached at 810-429-5333. You can also follow her on Twitter @KristinLongley or subscribe on Facebook.
Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This sounds like an excellent collaboration. I am not sure about the pass through fee, but I am assuming it has to do with Genesee county receiving their water from Flint.

The state has always demanded a secondary water back up system in case of a failure in Detroit's transmission system. It is beneficial to Flint for the use of the river in case of an emergency and definitely cheaper than using Detroit as a backup. The county also has an extensive system of water towers that was developed after failures in water transmission from Detroit.

M-Live had negative comments about the quality of the Flint River, but those comments were more relevant in the past. There have been steady improvements in the water quality of the river for years.
Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:30 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County board chairman: 'Affordable water is the foundation' of the area's future

"The ringing endorsement for building the $600-million pipeline comes as no surprise from Curtis, who has been one of the project's strongest boosters since he became chairman in 2010."
Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:57 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Wells are legal in Flint!!!

Post Sun May 06, 2012 8:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint water rate hikes lead to influx of well drilling inquiries

Published: Sunday, May 06, 2012, 7:50 AM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com

View full size(Flint Journal files)Flint City Hall
FLINT, MI -- The latest in a series of water and sewer rate hikes in Flint has more residents asking about well drilling in the city.

Flint emergency manager Michael Brown announced water and sewer rates would go up an average of 25 percent this summer, on top of two double-digit fee increases last year.

The soaring rates led Flint native Sammie White to investigate the possibility of residential water wells. White announced his findings to a group of outraged citizens earlier this week at Brown's public budget presentation.

For years, White said he has been told that well drilling in the city wasn't allowed -- but that's not really the case.

City ordinance only requires that a residential well be approved and inspected by the Genesee County Health Department.

"Let them keep their water," White told residents Monday, encouraging them to call him with questions. "I'll take care of you."

In the past week, White said he's been flooded with calls about well installation. More than 102 residents have contacted him following the meeting, he said.

"It's awesome," said White, who was born and raised in Flint and lives in Grand Blanc Township. "I want to really concentrate on this because it was an emergency needed in the city of Flint. It's important to me that the people of Flint get restored."

He said he's already contacted two area well drilling companies about the situation. Gary Price, owner of Lyons Well Drilling, said he told White he naturally would be interested in taking on some of the work.

"He (White) said the city was going to raise rates again and people were in an uproar," Price said. "He said people are getting tired of not having a choice."

But whether or not the cost of installing a well is economical for Flint residents remains to be seen.

The average customer would pay $168 a month total for water and sewer under the new rates, according to average figures provided by the city. That adds up to nearly $1,700 a year, depending on the household's water usage.

The typical cost for drilling a well ranges from $4,500 to $5,500 depending on the depth and other circumstances, according to figures from two local companies.

White said he wants to try to arrange a payment plan that would make it easier for residents to afford drilling a well. He said he would not receive any financial benefit from helping Flint residents navigate the system.

"The benefit for me is just that it benefits the community," he said. "The time has come for a change for the Flint area."

The city raised its rates because of a combination of factors, officials said, mainly aging infrastructure and rate increases passed on from the city's primary source of water: the city of Detroit.

Howard Croft, the city's director of infrastructure and development, said it's important for residents to know that any well used for human consumption must be inspected by the health department.

"A resident cannot simply drill a well and use it," he said.

Residents who drill wells for non-consumption must still be hooked up to the city water m or to a properly inspected well, he said. Residents should also inquire at the city's building and inspection department about any plumbing issues that may require a permit.

As for the future, Croft said the city is reviewing its water and sewer issues.

"The city is aggressively looking at all of its options regarding water to help stabilize, if not lower, the water rates," he said. "Much of this is expected to come out in a water forum in the near future."

Brian McKenzie, environmental health supervisor for the county health department, said the agency must inspect the well for environmental issues. The department also requires a site plan for any proposed drill sites in Genesee County.

He said there are existing drinking water wells in the city of Flint.

"If anyone applied, we would simply look at where the well is proposed to be located and look for any potential sources of contamination," he said. "If we could isolate it (any contamination), the health department would be willing to issue the permit."
Post Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

The average customer would pay $168 a month total for water and sewer under the new rates, according to average figures provided by the city. That adds up to nearly $1,700 a year, depending on the household's water usage.

This would be like a mortgate payment for a $25,000 house.

Last edited by Adam on Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Property values continue to decline but the tax assessment continues to climb!
Post Tue May 08, 2012 2:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Brothers will make Genesee County Drain Commissioner Jeff Wright go through two elections to keep job
Post Thu May 24, 2012 1:56 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Flint water forum on Thursday

Post Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry_Bankert

-GOVERNOR SNYDER’S HATCHET MAN ANDY DILLON IS FEARED TO BE DOUBLE CROSSING FLINT BY KILLING ITS PARTICIPATION IN KWA SO DETROIT CAN PROFIT BY RAISING FLINTS WATER RATES AND DILLON WILL CURRY FAVOR FOR HIS PLANNED BID TO BE OAKLAND COUNTY EXECUTIVE AND HAS PLACED EMERGENCY MANAGER MIKE BROWN IN A CONFLICT OF INTEREST BECAUSE BROWN CONTROLS FLINTS DECISION TO JOIN KWA AND WORKS FOR DILLION THROUGH THE GOVERNOR.Source , comments of former State Representative Jack Minore directly and Jeff Wright indirectly at the Genesee County Democratic Party Clubb 225 meeting Wallis Restaurant 06/15/12 where Genesee County Drain Commission Jeff Wright was the speaker.

The Karegnondi Water Authority is led by CEO Genesee County Drain Commissioner Jeff Wright. The Chairperson is Flint Mayor Dayne Walling who attended the luncheon and Treasurer Flint City Council person Delrico Lloyd.

The Karegnondi Water Authority (KWA) project would create a 25 year debt service versus a 30 year contract with Detroit, which would be more expensive. The Flint River does not have enough capacity because of the treatment plants to service Flint as a primary water source.

Once in this fresh water vs treated water costs will make this area a mecca and backbone of expansion and new area jobs for water dependant business.Wright predicted the city will make its decision in 4-6 weeks.

--
BREAKING NEWS By Terry Bankert “ Good Morning Flint” Flint 06/15/2012 -

GOVERNOR SNYDER’S HATCHET MAN ANDY DILLON IS FEARED TO BE DOUBLE CROSSING FLINT BY KILLING ITS PARTICIPATION IN (KWA) KARENGNONDI WATER AUTHORITY .

WHY? SO DETROIT CAN PROFIT BY RAISING FLINTS WATER RATES .

THIS WILL ALLOW ANDY DILLON TO CURRY FAVOR FOR HIS PLANNED BID TO BE OAKLAND COUNTY EXECUTIVE REPLACING L.BROOKS PATTERSON.

DILLONS SELF SERVING MOTIVES HAVE PLACED EMERGENCY MANAGER MIKE BROWN IN A CONFLICT OF INTEREST BECAUSE BROWN CONTROLS FLINTS DECISION TO JOIN KWA AND WORKS FOR DILLION THROUGH THE GOVERNOR.

Source , meeting comments of former State Representative Jack Minore directly and Jeff Wright indirectly at the Genesee County Democratic Party Clubb 225 meeting Wallis Restaurant 06/15/12 where Genesee County Drain Commission Jeff Wright was the speaker.
Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:13 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

shanedr wants to know how much time will pass before Brown makes a decision:

So how long is Mr. Brown going to think about it. He's just been given the go ahead. How long does it take to give the order? Or would he have trouble explaining why he wants to keep the water bill high? I have yet to see any facts and figures to justify the high cost of water to Flint citizens.

Burton and other areas of the county get their water from the same source and are not paying the high rates that Flint does.
Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

$90.74 and I barely used any water!!!

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Adam schreef:

I almost stopped in the street as I was so shocked at how low the river was near the farmer's market and areas north.
Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:27 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: