FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: SURVEY:: HONEST OPINIONS & FEEDBACK: DOWNTOWN FLINT

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Furnitureguy
F L I N T O I D

We are considering a large financial investment in downtown Flint. Without giving too much away, the area is located at 2nd and Martin Luther King Blvd, near the Durant. We have been living out of Flint for about 2 years now, Our company is based in Michigan and we are considering bringning a new concept to this part of town.

Id like to hear your opinions on this area, I have heard about the Durant Project, and the other government projects recently opening such as Wetherbees. I am also encouraged by the private investments made by the Deco Deli and their continuing success. However I do take great pause for the following reasons, and some of you may have a deeper knowledge than myself.

1. Is the Durant rents going to be 850 and up? If so, do you think there are an abundance of people in the Flint economy who are willing to pay these kinds of prices just to rent in this particular neighborhood? We are not talking about the ones who are recieving hefty student loans subsidies. Just regular folks working and living etc.

2. Is this considered a high crime "War Zone", moreso than other parts of the downtown? If so please elaborate why or why not.

3. Are other rents in the area increasing or declining, additionally are property values decreasing or holding steady, declining etc?

4. In your opinion are the government tax credits, loans, and investments the only major investment taking place downtown, obviously not sustainable long term, or is their an abundance of private investment going on as well? In other words, is this Downtown Government USA?

I think I have given enough to chew on for now, Sorry, I tend to be long winded. Any and all info about the goings on in this area will be greatly appreciated.

Also, any information for the neighborhood association president contact info etc. would be appreciated.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:00 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Before you make that move read the crime reports and how many mention MLK blvd. as the sight of the shooting.

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:34 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Downtown Flint is EXTREMELY safe. A few statisics for you:

• The assault rate is about the same, per capita, in downtown Flint as in the Grand Blanc area.
A person is statistically more likely to be the victim of aggravated assault or robbery in Burton or Flint Township than in downtown Flint.
There has not been a homicide in downtown Flint in three years, and there have been only four sexual assaults in that time.

These stats come from an investigation done by the Flint Journal on Downtown crime last year. The area that was calculated was fifth avenue to fifth street and grand traverse to chavez blvd. The location you are considering is well within this low crime area. It's true MLK has homocides, but those occur far, far north of the location you are considering. MLK at 2nd Ave is very low crime.

Here is the Flint Journal Article- http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/05/crime_statistics_in_downtown_f.html

Website for the Durant- http://thedurant.com/

About the Durant, It has apartments that go from the $400s to the $800s, so $850 is the maximum rent, not the minimum. Downtown property values have increased over the last three years as well. Also, the tax credits help investment for sure, but even with those benefits declining, investment has only increased in recent years. I hope you choose to move downtown, you will be welcomed with open arms. Thank you.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:47 am 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

in the durant my sister is paying over $1,000 a month to live there.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:16 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintBeerMan schreef:
What's her connection to Ananich, Walling or Kildee?
Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:21 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Well here is a list of every available and leased apartment in the durant and their prices. No so sure why she is paying such a high amount. Nothing goes above the $800s.

http://www.michiganhousinglocator.rentlinx.com/Property.aspx?PropertyID=94503
Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintBeerMan schreef:

She's living and paying rent in a building that isn't finished and doesn't open until late August/Early September? I think you have buildings confused.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I moved downtown Flint at the age of 18 and can say it has improved 1000%. It has taken the whole village to turn downtown around and I am proud of my fellow Flinttoids.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Stephen James
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ryan Eashoo"][b]
I moved downtown Flint at the age of 18 and can say it has improved 1000%. It has taken the whole village to turn downtown around and I am proud of my fellow Flinttoids.[/b][/quote]

There is so many other good reason to locate in downtown Flint but let me DIDO munnbreslin and Ryan! P.S. Dido, means to "agree" with you munnbreslin and Rayn, nothing more! LOL
Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
JustinZ
F L I N T O I D

I guess my suggestion for deciding to invest downtown would be to consider how much of your business you expect/need to come directly from the surrounding area.

In most cases, if you aren't supplying a necessity you're faced with the fact that there are only a limited number of people in the downtown area (compared to other spots in town) and while that number is growing, many of the newcomers are coming in to somewhat high rent and a varied living situation making it hard to consistently support local business.

I know I find myself not partaking in downtown life as much as I'd like because I know i can get what I need (as opposed to what I want) outside of downtown cheaper. But that's just my budget.

Question: How will locating downtown specifically help your business?

-Justin Z-
Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: