FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: PLUTO "Christmas In Action"

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Stephen James
F L I N T O I D

Saturday April 24th Flint, Michigan
The rap, rap, rapping sounds of hammers slapping down onto the heads of roofing nails echoed down the street of Copeman Boulevard as a brand new roof is being put onto the home of a widowed 80yr old Flint resident by the community action group PLUTO and their volunteers. Christmas In Action! Yes, even in April you can give a gift to a needy friend.

While others we’re rallying around city hall exhorting the need for community service PLUTO (Professions Like US Teaching Others) was out there serving. Along with the herculean effort of professional roofers C&L Ward who donated their labor and supplies PLUTO worked shoulder to shoulder with a group of like minded Flintoids that do more than talk.

The morning started with coffee and donuts and by mid-morning you could almost feel the burn of young muscles pulling, ripping and tossing old shingle off the old house, and by afternoon the then tiring group cut, laid and hammered in the new roofing. Even through the light sprinkles of rain they worked till the job was completed. Yet all during the day you could hear the laughing, happy chatter of the volunteer and onlookers.

It was a street wide event. Many of the neighbors, who were informed that this morning would bring the noises of the labor of love, peeked their heads out their front doors taking it all in, watching something good happening to their neighborhood. Something they haven’t seen in a long, long time.

Thank you PLUTO and thank you C&L Ward for reminding me that serving the community is more than lip service. You are what Fortitudinal Flintoids are all about.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

There were a myriad of other venues in Genesee County, just to expound on your post.

I am amazed at the generosity that was prevalent associated with this endeavour. One, donor is a very dear friend of mine....
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:59 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

PLUTO loves the mayor, this group things he can walk on water
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:32 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Sounds like a awesome project, don't let the naysayers get you down!

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Ok, answer me this though. If all we do is give away things and help out people, where is an economic turnaround going to happen? The problem with the Flint area is everyone wants someone to bail them out of hot water ,everyone expects something from someone else. I say charities are actually a source of the problems in the Genesee County area. Never heard of drilling holes in bottom of a boat to make the boat sail better.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: