FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Downtown Police Presence Will Not Shrink, Actually Growing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

FLINT (WJRT) -- (04/02/10)--Layoffs have shrunk the size of the Flint Police Department, but you won't notice the drop downtown.

The same number of police officers will still patrol the area, and now there will be more eyes on the street.

Typically there will be three officers patrol downtown, and usually one during the day and two at night. That will stay the same, but they won't be the only ones.

But while the number of businesses on the downtown Saginaw strip grows, flint police numbers are dwindling, as 46 officers were cut earlier this month.

The three officers already assigned to downtown are staying put the Mott Foundation is picking up the $150,000 tab to keep the two nighttime officers patrolling.

Now the uptown reinvestment corporation with ties to Wize Guyz Pizza and 501 Bar & Grill is footing the bill for private security to watch the core areas downtown.

The private security will work from 5 p.m. in the evening to 3 a.m. in the morning seven days a week.

The cost around $40,000.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:26 pm 
DELETED

DELETED
Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Hmm something tells me that there also was a south side task force, only care about downtown? oooooook.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:17 pm 
DELETED

DELETED
Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:20 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

at what point did I say that they did? Downtown is easily the most heavily patrolled part of flint. Please Don tell me when I stated that those parts of town got the same coverage?
Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:49 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Do you think that some areas of the city should have more police protection than others?
Our street is the border between 2 wards. Haven't seen a foot patrol officer on either side of the street yet. Not holding my breath.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:47 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Thanks to Don, we got our block cleaned up & we keep it that way.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The grant for the Southside Task Force was written by Prosecutor Leyton in response to years of problems arising from increases in gang activity. Girls as young as 11 years old are being used in prostitution rings in the south side.

The East side and the North end had Weed and Seed programs that each lasted 3 or more years. There has been a Safe Streets Task Force working with the Sheriff, but I believe it ends this year.

Flint has grant paid for officers. Kettering, Hurley and Downtown all pay for officers to assist in their areas,

I just watched Newsmaker and the developer of the Durant Hotel spoke about the need to promote downtown and the growth that would reach out from that growth. This is the New Urabanism concept that is being adopted nationwide. Redevelopment of the city would follow somewhat the manner in which the city grew originally.

This should have been obvious when 3 years ago a summit was held and the foundations, the chamber and other organizations promoted the concept of not spreading resources equally to all parts of the city. They promoted directed targeting of areas most likely to grow and expecting nontargeted ateas to benefit also.

So far directed resources have not produced any positive results in Flint, except downtown, Hurley and Kettering disticts. Even downtown has numerous vacant apartment buildings.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:16 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Wait webs how can you say "So far directed resources have not produced any positive results in Flint." and then go on to list three districts in Flint that it has helped? Its like saying "This hasn't worked anywhere here, except in these three areas where it has." Thats illogical and extremely contradictory. Targeted resources has improved downtown, carriage town, Kettering, along with decreased crime on the south side. You all remember seeing stories about the shootings and constant robberies on fenton rd. area last year? Since this task force was introduced the worst we've gotten was a pellet gun being shot ha ha. But overall, you cant claim that an approach is not working, and then list three areas that are improving because of it. Its making a statement, then disproving yourself.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The task force is new and many major crimes have occurred in the targeted area. Only the day time unit is truly coordinated and 2 officers were never hired as originally anticipated.

Money has been directed to other areas, such as Flint Park Lake, the Northeast Corridor, Smith Village and university park. University park has not sparked the anticipated growth in the area and the other three have no or negligible results. Flint Park Lake has a park area and a boat ramp.

Results began under Kurtz and continued with Williamson. These were the efforts that have produced private investment.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:34 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Webs sadly the results you speak of as failures were governmental investments, not private sector. The government rarely gets results, while business almost always does. Why is downtown improving? Uptown Reinvestment Corp. and the Mott Foundation. Why does the corner of Dort and Lapeer look a little different? Baker College. Why is there now a business incubator on bluff st? Kettering. Why do we have a renovated Berridge, and an ongoing Durant redevelopment? The Land Bank worked with private businesses (Carp & Associates for example). Then your left with places like Raspberry's Rhythm and Hoffman's Deli and the Antique Center, which were simply individuals wanting their own business. Sadly, nothing that the mayor (or any governmental official for that matter) of flint does besides shrink government will help business. Spending dollars never works in the public sector because they treat business like a charity, while the private sector knows the way to get results is all based on profit. The more private dollars Flint gets, the better it will become.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:41 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Results began under Kurtz and continued with Williamson.

Seriously?
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Results began under Kurtz and continued with Williamson.

Seriously?

University Park started under Stanley but phase 2 started later I believe under Kurtz. The Renaissance Zone and Enterprise Zone have had minimal success in Flint. Under Stanley the Chamber of Commerce advertised tax breaks as far away as Canada for companies to relocate to Flint.

Manhattan Place (second time) and OK Industries (Giacalone) started under Stanley and failed. Some of downtown started under Kurtz .

University Avenue was a plan conceived by Riegle that sat on a shelf for many years until it was completed by Williamson. The Chevrolet Avenue Bridge $ was lost more than 3 times and successfully completed by Williamson. Then the Garland street Bridge and the smaller 12 th Street Bridges were done by Williamson.

Pierson Rd $ money was lost once and finally done by Williamson.

Not everything Williamson did was correct , but he did a lot that was good.
His interaction with the unions was faulty, but Wallings is worse.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:43 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Freeman you aren't performing man!
Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:03 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: