FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Digital police scanner

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Anyone on here have a digital scanner? Seeing more State Police around Flint, I'm wondering if it would be worth the money to have one.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

The vast majority of Troopers in the city broadcast their activities on city radio. Buying a digital scanner at this point will allow you to hear the other county agencies, but very little within the city. County dispatch can be listened to on the internet as well.
Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:58 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Good to know. Thanks. Maybe I'll invest the money in security cameras.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Actually,from what I seen Flint cops use cell phones a lot. I have seen them driving down the streets of the city talking on cell phones quite a bit. Some may be critical of this but I think it may be a smart move. Criminals listen to the scanners more than the average citizen. I have seen guys have scanners in their cars (not wired in but those portable ones) . In fact my friends have found portable scanners amongst items stashed by crooks in backyards and other places, along with other tools they used to do B&E's. I think the use of cell phones by cops is a good idea, I just hope that they get a good rate for them. Cops may be using them for personal use but from the amount of use I saw among the cops that many are using them for their jobs.

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:07 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

They use cell phones and the data terminals in the cruisers quite a lot. I listen to keep up on what's going on in my area. When I hear a call for something serious in a neighborhood where I know someone, I'll call them & let them know, so they can keep their heads down.

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:33 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

Unfortunately the computers and associated equipment (modems etc.) in the flint cruisers are archaic and very prone to breakdowns. This is why you hear, "TX radio" often. Sensitive info that should be sent to computers sometimes cannot be received due to computer problems.

FYI- Trooper's call numbers start with 35. 3557 is one you should hear often.
Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:17 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I haven't heard 3557. As far as I know, I have all the frequencies; Dispatch, lien, Tactical, Car to car & special ops. Computer problems could explain why lien info goes over the air rather than direct to the terminals.

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:29 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Dave get out while you can! Move out of Flint
Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Nope. In 96, when my wife was beaten almost to death in our driveway by a young thug, I told her we would move if she wanted to. She said: "I will NOT be driven from my home". She still feels that way & so do I. We're not going anywhere.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: