FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Bi-Weekly Garbage Pickup
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Ok, lets see how flint talk trolls can turn bi-weekly garbage pickup now into armageddon. Go!
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:42 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

They could start picking lumber....but those belong to some of the houses that I saw today....my bad.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:44 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i don't see a problem with it.....it would also mean a few extra people could be laid off right??? Cool

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:14 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I thought the folks in Flint was so poor they didnt have food to make garbage with.

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Can't we just drive over to Kensington drive and dump our trash there every other week?
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

From the Journal..... Sounds like Walling & Eason need to get on the same page. maybe Dawn Jones can handle the communications batween them.

Hours after the mayor announced the city will begin picking up garbage every two weeks to save money, the city administrator said the move is still under discussion.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling at a news conference Wednesday said the city will implement reduced garbage pickups along with issuing about 60 layoff notices to non-public safety personnel. The city is working to trim a projected $8-million deficit.

"The city will be implementing a biweekly garbage collection schedule," Walling said.

"For now, our finances dictate that we make a change to keep that fund in balance," Walling said of the garbage fund. "We believe that we can continue to provide a high quality service like some other communities do with a biweekly sanitation pickup."

But at a Flint City Council committee meeting later in the evening, City Administrator Gregory Eason told council members the cuts are just proposals that are still under discussion. The mayor was not at the council meeting.

"There has been no final determination," Eason said.

City Council President Delrico Loyd said it seems like a miscommunication happened somewhere along the line.

"They need to make up their mind. The mayor can't have press conferences and say one thing and have administration say another thing," he said. "We depend on accurate information from the administration."

Eason said the reduced garbage pickup is one of multiple options on the table for cost savings.

"There are still discussions that need to be had," Eason said.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
Can't we just drive over to Kensington drive and dump our trash there every other week?

Paging Dr. Johnny Fever.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:

I don't know; would there be more room in front of city hall?

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hmm lets see global warming with 100 plus degrees along with some old table scraps and a few loaded diapers added to the mix setting by the road for 2 weeks Shocked hope your not downwind. Try a little Vicks under the nose. Shocked Laughing

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

At the very least isn't it illegal to discharge weapons in the city? I guess with no police we wouldn't have to worry about that and could start to take care of our "criters problem".
Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
Ok, lets see how flint talk trolls can turn bi-weekly garbage pickup now into armageddon. Go!

We have twice a weekpick up down my way and honestly, once a week would be just fine. I don't even put garbage out but once a week.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

How do the cuts to trash pickup affect the waste collection millage? I would think that money earmarked for a specific purpose would have to be used exclusively for that purpose. Is Walling exempt from such rules? Is all the millage actually used for waste collection, or is it dumped into the general fund?
How many cronies will be hired with the money "saved" by all the layoffs?

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You have a point Dave. We pay atrash millage. If the millage exceeds expenses, will Walling try to use it elsewhere. I doubt it as homes in my once stable neighborhhd are becoming vacant at an alarming rate.

I also never thought I would see so many vacant homes in Mott park. The sidewalks along some Mott Park streets are worse than any where in the north end.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Walling blames the unions

"He said the primary reason for the reduction in service is because the union contracts prevent the city from reducing the size of sanitation crews or increasing the size of the routes.

So, in order to find savings, the city is reducing the number of crews, he said, and it's going to take the crews twice as long to cover the whole city."
Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

If Walling is telling the truth which shockingly may be the case. Why would we not privatize???
Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:02 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: