FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Dialogue on Public Safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

bluecat....thank you for your succinct AND cogent reply....
Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:33 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

bluecat just made the most common sense filled post ever on this subject. The maggots and bangers infesting city streets care nothing about laws and law enforcement regardless of what the apologists who frequent this forum claim. Stay safe.

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Amen, Bluecat. While, thankfully, I don't have to deal with them on a constant basis, after 2 drivebys & 2 gun battles on our street in the past couple years, I have some idea of the mentality today. These thugs today have no conscience whatsoever. Whoever gets assigned to foot patrol may as well be issued jackets with bulls eyes on the back. Perhaps Mr. Walling & chief Lock would like to do a couple night time foot patrols to show everyone how safe it is.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Of course the real problem is that more of the thugs are being conceived as we speak a fresh batch always available.

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

But by this logic, wouldnt cutting cops or for that matter, hiring cops, make no difference. If these people dont fear the police already, than what will having 160 cops do compared to 120? If they dont fear the FPD as is, than how does having more officers prevent their crimes.....? By your logic, no amount of police protection can lower crime.. And again, what is the average salary, benefits included, of an FPD officer, seargent, liutenant, etc?
Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Munnbreslin- This site has done it before and by that I mean they ignore those who refuse to listen to the dialogue of others. You alleged that you wanted a meaningful discourse on public safety. What you really want is to justify Wallings position.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:47 am 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Munn, the city has indicated on numerous occassions that the cost per officer is around $80,000-$85,000 including benefits. The city has recently began to include grant funded overtime to officers salaries to justify their unreasonable demands and give the appearance of the police have exorbatant salaries. Just Sayin.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Ok webs, for the billionth time, what Walling is doing is short-sighted and wrong. He is not thinking it all through, but its not armageddon. And the whole, "this site ignores those who refuse to listen to the dialogue of others" aka "this site will vilify all who disagree with popular opinion." Sorry, I may be the only libertarian ideologied person here, and in a city full of liberals, im not too shocked in in the minority on my position. Bossman, what would the average salary of officers be after these cuts? What % of their healthcare would they pay, etc. The private sector usually pays 30-50% of healthcare costs, why not our police too?
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:37 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Munn...I hate to say it but all of the "what if" scenarios in the world won't work. Wink You are a wonderful thinker...but you keep saying "what if"? Smile
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Old Captain salary

I think officers make much less and a lot of captains have been demoted to save money. I pulled up police officers salary once and was not impressed.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Hey , I got an idea, we get old Sheriff Wilson back on the FPD and he can take bribes and use that money to finance the FPD. He is good at that sort of thing, and this time it would be for a more noble cause than lining his own pocket.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 am 
bluecat1122
F L I N T O I D

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
But by this logic, wouldnt cutting cops or for that matter, hiring cops, make no difference. If these people dont fear the police already, than what will having 160 cops do compared to 120? If they dont fear the FPD as is, than how does having more officers prevent their crimes.....? By your logic, no amount of police protection can lower crime.. And again, what is the average salary, benefits included, of an FPD officer, seargent, liutenant, etc?

I don't care if they personally fear us or not. What I want is back up when I have to fight with someone, because we have to deal with these situations regardless of how many police there are. In addition, these thugs know more cuts are coming and as a result get more bold. In fact, when Williamson made major cuts, one of the officers was threatened and told something to the effect of "We know you don't have any back up, we'll just shoot you." Search for it on MLive.

In addition, you ask how more or less will prevent crimes. We are so low with officers already that we are past "preventing crimes," and are now all about "managing crimes." Give us what we need (say another 200 cops), and then we can assign officers to gang infested streets, check suspicious people walking through yards neighborhoods at 3 in the morning, surveillance of high crime areas, etc, etc. That is called "pro-active policing" and that is what "lowers crime," because the bad guys know we're out there checking them everywhere they turn. We are now "reactive" and come out and take your report, knowing full well nothing is going to happen with it (for most crimes, because there is no suspect information).

All we're asking now is "maintain" the current levels, which again, is still below what we need. With these new cuts, one shooting will shut down the police department, period. We had 2 homicides in one day within the last week. THE CALLS ARE NOT SLOWING DOWN!! Listen to a police scanner if you don't believe me. WE CAN'T HANDLE THE CURRENT WORK LOAD, so how will be able to handle it with more cuts?
Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

A lot of us understand what you're dealing with. It's criminal that the clowns at city hall don't seem to care. Based on some of the talk on the street I've been hearing, you'll be running from shooting to shooting when it warms up. The gangs know there's big cuts coming & they're getting ready to take advantage.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
A lot of us understand what you're dealing with. It's criminal that the clowns at city hall don't seem to care. Based on some of the talk on the street I've been hearing, you'll be running from shooting to shooting when it warms up. The gangs know there's big cuts coming & they're getting ready to take advantage.

yes- they have already started shooting near Welch and Dupont. Neighbors believe it was on Grace Street
Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:45 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: