FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Info for Josh Freeman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Would You Support the Privatization of Flint Golf Courses
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Indifferent
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Hello Councilman Freeman. Thought you might find this article interesting. It shows how when Detroit, a city who's financial woes are arguably worse than ours, privatized its golf courses, it turned them from money losing enterprises to profitable courses. The company who got the contract to run these courses invested over $2 Million when it got control of the courses and they are all still open and profitable. Please look at this and tell us what you think. Can the city courses be privatized?

http://www.mackinac.org/1851
Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:31 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

smart move breslin!!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:50 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Nah, the game of golf is a waste of a good walk.
Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Spell golf backwards.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Why sure!! where else can guys go to dress in funny looking clothes,drink beer supplied by a hot beer girl at $5 a can and go look for their balls. Very Happy Oh wait thats right Flint courses dont have hot beer girls. Crying or Very sad

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

All the men golf with flouresent blue balls, eh?
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:01 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Whats really cool is I have actually seen guys in the same outfit Rodney is wearing.

Link

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yes I would with a couple stipulations:

1.) The City of Flint remains the owner of the golf courses.
2.) The City of Flint will watch over the new mangers and make sure the proper maintence is done to protect the asset.
3.) City of Flint residents receive a small discount when they use the course.
4.) A open and fair bidding process is conducted.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'm cynical, so I doubt 2 & 4 would happen.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

those are great stipulations ryan........actually "must have" stipulations.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Yes I would with a couple stipulations:

1.) The City of Flint remains the owner of the golf courses.
2.) The City of Flint will watch over the new mangers and make sure the proper maintence is done to protect the asset.
3.) City of Flint residents receive a small discount when they use the course.
4.) A open and fair bidding process is conducted.

1. Why? So we can keep losing money?
2. If you sell it this should not be a problem
3. Stupid. A senior discount would be simpler and makes more sense.
4. um yeah. This is Flint but at least lets get a fair price even if it is done in a typical corrupt manner.
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

1.) Adam I am not sure if you understand the meaning of privatizing? It means we retain ownership of the golf courses and someone else runs them and pays the city a certain amount. Our great city will turn around and we will need these assets in the future.

2.) If we sell it then the citizens of the city of Flint should be able to vote on such a thing. But I think its a bad idea to sell our assets and possibly never get them back when the city is booming agian.

3.) No senior discount, all residents would get a small breeak over a suburban resident. Lets be fair to all taxpayers.

4.) So lets continue with the "status quo" Adam? No we need to turn things around now and that means following rules and giving EVERYONE a chance to big on projects in this city.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

I agree Ryan, Adam just is one of those people who always gives others hard times.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mott Park is in a flood plane. I have seen ducks swimming in puddles on the course as late as June. It also has deed restrictions and cannot be sold. If not used as a golf course then it still must be kept mowed and I cannot see the Mott park residents happy with it being au naturel.. A beetle problem has damaged the turf and there has been no money to address the issue .Plus I believe this is only a 9 hole course. Many beginners play the course. The clubhouse only has a vending machine and no food.

Pierce Park also has deed restrictions and cannot be sold. It is used by hundreds of beginning golfers each year and that is county wide. The clubhouse is also part of the senior center. It once had night lighting and was widely used for night golf.

Swartz Creek usually makes money but it's turf also needs help. A borken water line along the creek bed about 2 years ago created a serious problem. It has also had a flooding problem at some times.

Kearsly Golf course is usually the money maker as far as golf, but it's clubhouse is the pits.This site has also been vulnerable to thefts and breakins. A couple of years ago parts of the course were almost unusable because of sewer repairs to lines that crossed the course.

Golf courses in Michigan have taken a hit and a number of them have closed. Other municipalities own golf courses but the successful ones have conference centers attached to them.

Flint has a great number of senior golfers and several over 85. Many older golfers prefer Pierce, probably because of it's proximity to the senior center.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:47 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
Hello Councilman Freeman. Thought you might find this article interesting. It shows how when Detroit, a city who's financial woes are arguably worse than ours, privatized its golf courses, it turned them from money losing enterprises to profitable courses. The company who got the contract to run these courses invested over $2 Million when it got control of the courses and they are all still open and profitable. Please look at this and tell us what you think. Can the city courses be privatized?

http://www.mackinac.org/1851

I'm not sure what the answer is right now. I do know that we are not going to continue to fund golf courses when we don't have enough to fund police and fire.

I've asked the Administration to provide the business plan that the golf managers put together. If the plan is not workable, I've asked that the management of the courses be put out for bid. Let a private firm run them while the City retains ownership. I believe that if run properly they can be profitable. Unfortunately we don't have the time to wait for that to happen.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: