FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

Home Open Chat Political Talk  Flint Journal Political Jokes The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The In My Opinion Show

Topic: "White Man's Last Stand"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

The Huffington report called Judge Sonia Sotomayor's confirmation hearings 'White Man's Last Stand' in a New York times column. Huffington eviscerated the white - male Republicans for their posture. White men have a monopoly on objectivity and rational thought? Sotomayor dropped an analytic, professional and knowledgeable tone when she told Republican Sen. John Kyl, and others "We apply law to facts. We don't apply feelings to facts.

As a thought, the Republican party has about as much chance re-capturing the White House next election as a snow ball not melting in a 3 alarm fire. Just my opinion

The question is would the Republican Party during Judge Sotomayor's confirmation hearings and there cynical ways of addressing her qualifications and past court decisions been the same had it been a white woman nominee? " Please this is Not about playing any race cards". For further information please go to
flinttalk.com and access The "In My Opinion" Show
Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:09 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

In their defense "those white guys" are under a lot of pressure to act like they are pro-life and support gun rights and are under some heat to act like they think white male fightfighters shouldn't be discriminated against.

I think Palin has a better chance of wining as does Obama's "green jobs" plan does have of working.

Republicans are under a lot more pressure to act conservative now that Bush is gone so I think they would have grilled a left wing "white girl" as well.
Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Good observation. Without reading the full transcript of the firefighters complaint and Judge Sotomayor's decision. I can't make any decisions on the merits. All I've heard is bits and pieces from the news media and those congressman that were part of the nomination process.

What's important for everyone to understand. Discrimination in any form is against the law.
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:40 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricci_v._DeStefano

Discrimination as broadly defined is mostly legal in America. For narrow things like racism that is also legal in certain cases in certain states normally against white males.
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:27 am 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Racism is hardly narrow my friend. It's obvious you have never been on the receiving end of racism, or discrimination Speaking from my own experience its horrible for anyone.

For discrimination check your law books, read the constitution. Verse yourself on civil rights laws, etc, etc. That way you will be able to contribute to society in more than a narrow view.

Injustice for anyone is Injustice for everyone.
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

You said discrimination in any form is illegal. That i incorrect. I think the case could be argued that racism in certain forms is still legal although it does depend on how you define racism. For example: Have you ever tried to shop at a black owned store? Have you ever been to Kwanzaa? They even mentioned how black people should try and spend money in their own community. If black people purposely tried to shop in their own community from their own black owned stores if you wanted to get really anal about it that could be considered discrimination against non black owned stores.

I was a business major so in economics virtually every purchase is a discriminatory decison. For example you are buying pears when you could have bought apples.

For your purposes I think you should use the word racism and not discrimination. To discriminate on the basis of race is more precisely racism.

Racism is mostly illegal but I consider affirmative action a form of racism. In addition I think it is technically legal for parents to pull there kids out of say Flint schools just so they can go to "white schools" and I would consider that a subtle form of racism but I think it is legal.
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:47 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Ford I'll come straight to the point. STOP THE BULLSHIT.
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
ronald barry robinson schreef:

Hmmmmmmmm, what's the matter, truth hurt?

Pan8
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:49 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Pan 8 if your referring to my last entry, stop the Bull Shit Mr. Ford. Let me say this there is not any truth to Mr. Fords statements. If you have not walked in a minorities footsteps, whether it be a woman or a person of color, take the time to talk too those human beings with an open mind. I'll bet you will come away with a better understanding of the problems encountered.

Additionally, Pan 8 for your information. Check your history, scientific data, Biology and DNA and the history of mankind and the billions of years that the earth as we know it has been around. We all came from the same place and that is Africa, so that makes us "all" American's of African decent. There is no such thing as intelligent design, Adam and Eve, It's all about evolutionary DNA that has been scientifically proven. I didn't make this up, again check your DNA. scientific data, biology.
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:33 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:

Get your facts straight and I won't correct you.
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:12 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Pan 8 if your referring to my last entry, stop the Bull Shit Mr. Ford. Let me say this there is not any truth to Mr. Fords statements. If you have not walked in a minorities footsteps, whether it be a woman or a person of color, take the time to talk too those human beings with an open mind. I'll bet you will come away with a better understanding of the problems encountered.

Obviously minorities may have suffered the worst but how many overweight and "unattractive" white males do you see in leading movie roles for example or lets say two white males are running for president but one doesn't look as good on camera. (Nixon vs Kenedy)

Link
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:48 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Ford its you who need to get there facts straight. STOP BEING AFRAID OF "THE TRUTH". IF YOUR A COLLEGE GRAD LIKE YOU SAY. THEN GO TO THE LIBRARY its free AND CHECK OUT THE Real FACTS AND STATISTICS. THAT WILL SURELY HELP YOU GET OVER YOUR DILATORY.

Ps Lets stick to the subject matter. Your attempting to confuse the issue. It won't work with me.

In case you need a refresher. The topic was about White Man's Last Stand and the Republican party treatment of Supreme Court nominee Sonya Sotomayor. The Huffington report.
Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

What fact was wrong? I'm not afraid of the truth or your b.s. rhetoric. Maybe you should watch some youtube videos like this one or do some reasearch on Sanger and the eugenics movement and then tell me racism isn't still legal in America in certain forms?

Link

You're the one that stated "What's important for everyone to understand. Discrimination in any form is against the law." That's an obvious mistatement unless you think eugenics is not a form of racism.

I'm glad you understand what the original topic was. If you hadn't made a mistatement I would not have corrected you.
Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:23 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps that's why you lost so badly in your race for Michigan state representative. People seen through your glass soul and your bullshit. An knew that you were a phony. Say what you want but I won't be addressing anymore of your foolishness after this entry.

Ps Youtube is not DNA or Scientific data. In your last entry you talked about eugenics. Websters Dictionary says, Eugenics is the study of how the inherited characteristics of the human population can be improved by genetics or selective controlled breeding its obvious Mr. Ford you want an America that has only blond haired and blue eyed citizens. That will never happen. Mr Ford didn't Hitler try this "eugenics" on the millions of Jews he killed?
Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:07 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I can't help it if north end of Flint voters were anxious to have Woodrow back onto power. I did do better than the last Republican that ran in one of the most heavily democratic districts in the state did.

Maybe people like you can call it affirmative action but I'm not convinced it's a coincidence black neighborhoods are much better served by abortion clinics than white neighborhoods.

Margaret Higgins Sanger Slee (September 14, 1879 September 6, 1966) was an American birth control activist and the founder of the American Birth Control League (which eventually became Planned Parenthood). Although she initially met with opposition, Sanger gradually won some support for getting women access to contraception. In her drive to promote contraception and negative eugenics , Sanger remains a controversial figure.

The term eugenics is often used to refer to movements and social policies influential during the early twentieth century. In a historical and broader sense, eugenics can also be a study of "improving human genetic qualities." It is sometimes broadly applied to describe any human action whose goal is to improve the gene pool. Some forms of infanticide in ancient societies, present-day reprogenetics, preemptive abortions and designer babies have been (sometimes controversially) referred to as eugenic.

Because of its normative goals and historical association with scientific racism, as well as the development of the science of genetics, the western scientific community has mostly disassociated itself from the term "eugenics", although one can find advocates of what is now known as liberal eugenics. Despite its ongoing criticism in the United States, several regions globally practice different forms of eugenics.

Eugenicists advocate specific policies that (if successful) they believe will lead to a perceived improvement of the human gene pool. Since defining what improvements are desired or beneficial is perceived by many as a cultural choice rather than a matter that can be determined objectively (e.g., by empirical, scientific inquiry), eugenics has often been deemed a pseudoscience.[25] The most disputed aspect of eugenics has been the definition of "improvement" of the human gene pool, such as what is a beneficial characteristic and what is a defect. This aspect of eugenics has historically been tainted with scientific racism.

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:27 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: