FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

Home Open Chat Political Talk  Flint Journal Political Jokes The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The In My Opinion Show

Topic: Destruction of America
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
4flintstones
F L I N T O I D

Wednesdays "In My Opinion-" July 2, 2008 "State of Emergency" was one of the best ever as to the subject matter. This is why we need to have Public Access Television in Genesee County. We need to hear more than what the two main media sources are giving us in Flint (television and newspaper).

I can remember my father every night watching the local and national news programs in the early 1960's. We had one television and it was no doubt that the news as going to be on at 6:00 pm. My father worked two jobs. Read the newspaper every day. I developed the habit of reading the news and watching the news as well. I am saying that to say this. What role models are young African American males getting today? Not many positive ones. We have a Chief of Police who decided to enforce the problem young males have with the sagging pants fashion statement. About half of the people in the Flint Journal agree and half don't somebody has got to let the young people know that is a new line and don't cross it. It use to be parents that determined what the behavior and morals of the children would be. Not anymore. It is MTV and BET. After all you have to be "Tight." I wanted to use "Cool" but I would be dating myself.

It use to be in the 1960's or so about 80% of the African American children came from two parent households. Not anymore about 70% are born to sinlge parent households. The destruction of the a community is coming from the single parent household. As I was at the court hearing involving four H.S. students robbed a video store.

I developed in a hobby from my criminal justice classes of going to court hearings for young males. I usually don't see the father at court. I saw a uncle and I can always count on the mother being there. Sometimes the grandmother. The father have to step up. Sometimes its not all their fault. The way the Genesee County Family Court as well as many others give physical custodial the children to the mother and say the father is to get 96 hours out of approxiately 673 hours in a month is part of the problem. If he does not get that and the FOC does not enforce the ParentingTime Order all of Flint and the state of Michigan pays the price.

The state of Michigan pays over $2.5 billion a year to incarcerate about 45,000 inmates and supervise another 70,000 on parole. Most inmates have a eighth grade education and earn their GED later by the time they are 25. The local and state governments pay another $2.5 billion every year for the cost of High School dropouts. This infomation was provided by the Michigan Education Association . Let's not even talk about the cost of teenage births. So when a father is discouraged from raising his child all of the state taxpayers have to cover this cost. We spend 20 cents of every tax dollars for the Department of Corrections . We spend more on prisons at the present time then we do on state colleges and universities.

Part of this problem can be changed with the passage by the Michigan House of Representative Bill 4564. This bill for Joint Physical Custody for two fit parents will allow those father who want to change things and raise their children the right to do so. The bill in presently in the Judiciary Committee. You can write or e-mail your State Representative to let it be known of your desire to take the responsibility for your children and pass the bill.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:58 pm 
4flintstones
F L I N T O I D

Wednesdays "In My Opinion-" July 2, 2008 "State of Emergency" was one of the best ever as to the subject matter. This is why we need to have Public Access Television in Genesee County. We need to hear more than what the two main media sources are giving us in Flint (television and newspaper).

I can remember my father every night watching the local and national news programs in the early 1960's. We had one television and it was no doubt that the news as going to be on at 6:00 pm. My father worked two jobs. Read the newspaper every day. I developed the habit of reading the news and watching the news as well. I am saying that to say this. What role models are young African American males getting today? Not many positive ones. We have a Chief of Police who decided to enforce the problem young males have with the sagging pants fashion statement. About half of the people in the Flint Journal agree and half don't somebody has got to let the young people know that is a new line and don't cross it. It use to be parents that determined what the behavior and morals of the children would be. Not anymore. It is MTV and BET. After all you have to be "Tight." I wanted to use "Cool" but I would be dating myself.

It use to be in the 1960's or so about 80% of the African American children came from two parent households. Not anymore about 70% are born to sinlge parent households. The destruction of the a community is coming from the single parent household. As I was at the court hearing involving four H.S. students robbed a video store.

I developed in a hobby from my criminal justice classes of going to court hearings for young males. I usually don't see the father at court. I saw a uncle and I can always count on the mother being there. Sometimes the grandmother. The father have to step up. Sometimes its not all their fault. The way the Genesee County Family Court as well as many others give physical custodial the children to the mother and say the father is to get 96 hours out of approxiately 673 hours in a month is part of the problem. If he does not get that and the FOC does not enforce the ParentingTime Order all of Flint and the state of Michigan pays the price.

The state of Michigan pays over $2.5 billion a year to incarcerate about 45,000 inmates and supervise another 70,000 on parole. Most inmates have a eighth grade education and earn their GED later by the time they are 25. The local and state governments pay another $2.5 billion every year for the cost of High School dropouts. This infomation was provided by the Michigan Education Association . Let's not even talk about the cost of teenage births. So when a father is discouraged from raising his child all of the state taxpayers have to cover this cost. We spend 20 cents of every tax dollars for the Department of Corrections . We spend more on prisons at the present time then we do on state colleges and universities.

Part of this problem can be changed with the passage by the Michigan House of Representative Bill 4564. This bill for Joint Physical Custody for two fit parents will allow those father who want to change things and raise their children the right to do so. The bill in presently in the Judiciary Committee. You can write or e-mail your State Representative to let it be known of your desire to take the responsibility for your children and pass the bill.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:00 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: