FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: ABC 12 - 1st Mayoral Debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Race for Flint mayor heats upCandidates for Flint's top job gather for debate
By Kristen Abraham
FLINT (WJRT) - (06/07/07)--Less than six months from now Flint residents will decide to stay with the status quo or elect a new mayor.

The Genesee County Progressive Democrats held a mayoral debate at the Asbury Methodist Church. The six candidates include one woman and a current city council member.

Candidates answered several questions on the economy, crime and neighborhood improvement. While they all have their own vision for the city, all agree it's time Flint goes in a new direction.

When moderator Jack Minore asked candidates why Flint Mayor Don Williamson should be replaced, they had plenty to say.

"He should be replaced because he doesn't have the heart for the city," said Tamra Edwards. "He doesn't understand about what good government is all about. He should be replaced because we send back millions of dollars in HUD money to the federal government."

"We really need to get rid of our mayor because he's not running the city," added Norman Bryant. "He's trying to control it."

Several candidates want more police on the streets. They want proactive neighborhoods and an upgrade to the 911 system. All agree a permanent police chief is the first order of business.

"A chief that has the respect of the rank and file in this city," said Dale Weighill. "A chief who knows how to put together a plan. Crime has been increasing every year since Don Williamson has been in office."

"I'd work with my chief to develop a comprehensive gun violence reduction strategy," said Dayne Walling. "There will be fewer victims of crime under my leadership."

Candidates were asked how they would stimulate economic growth and attract businesses to Flint.

"We have to take a long hard look at First crime, then job develop, stabilize local economy and start from within," said Sheldon Neely. "Then other people will come."

"Right now bringing business to the city of Flint is like signing someone's death certificate. It's like moving to Iraq," David Davenport said. "I'd secure employment outside different areas and then I would bus people to their jobs."

Other issues discussed were water supply and a health conscious community.

The moderator said Mayor Don Williamson had a legitimate reason why he didn't participate.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mayor Don Williamson has no reason to come to one of these "DEBATES"?LOL

Mayor Don Williamson has a proven recocord and none of the candates do.

Dale Weighill and Dayne Walling will cansel each other out.

Tamra Edwards and David Davenport are boring.

Sheldon Neely has tooo much baggage,

It will be Norman Bryant and Don Williamson come November.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
philanthropiclady
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Steve? Is your degree in political science / analysis? How do you know that Dale and Dayne will cancel each other out and who will be in the general election.
Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:04 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Wow... Thats to the point!

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Two things, they are of the same race and names are similar.

Yes I have had a couple of political science courses, but I was smart enough to get a degree something useful, Business.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

It must be a DW thing!

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Yes I have had a couple of political science courses, but I was smart enough to get a degree something useful, Business.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:58 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Weighill vs. Walling comments.

As to the question why Williamson should be replaced, it would be to have a mayor who could get along with everyone. With the current city council who can't even get along among themselves it seems neigh impossible to find a mayor to bridge that gap and who could encourage cooperation on the council and get everyone to work for the good of this city.

Weighill's statement that Williamson "can only get along with the people that he's bought and paid for" is not only disgusting but an insult to those who even have casual contact with Williamson and have no reason not to get along with him. Weighill's demeaning comment will eliminate him as a choice on my ballot.

Both Weighill and Walling who intend to focus their "plans" should show how their plan is different from the current administration, what in the current administration they would change, and why their plan would be better.
Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:20 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

As to the question why Williamson should be replaced, it would be to have a mayor who could get along with everyone. With the current city council who can't even get along among themselves it seems neigh impossible to find a mayor to bridge that gap and who could encourage cooperation on the council and get everyone to work for the good of this city.

Weighill's statement that Williamson "can only get along with the people that he's bought and paid for" is not only disgusting but an insult to those who even have casual contact with Williamson and have no reason not to get along with him. Weighill's demeaning comment will eliminate him as a choice on my ballot.

Both Weighill and Walling who intend to focus their "plans" should show how their plan is different from the current administration, what in the current administration they would change, and why their plan would be better.

Just because the council doesn't have unanimous votes doesn't mean they aren't on good terms with each other.

What do you mean by casual contact? Most everyone I know gets along with people they only have casual contact with.

I thought I heard some candidates mention following the charter and coming up with a master plan like the charter requires. if Williamson has a plan perhaps he should put it in writing like he is supposed to do.

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:12 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
What do you mean by casual contact? Most everyone I know gets along with people they only have casual contact with.
Non-business, non-family, non-intimate, informal..... You use the word as if you know the meaning. How is your definition different?
Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Adam schreef:
Non-business, non-family, non-intimate, informal..... You use the word as if you know the meaning. How is your definition different?

I was trying to understand your point. I guess the current mayor would be able to handle people he is not trying to do business or have formal moayoral contact with as would 99% of the general U.S. population. I think it would be better if we had a mayor that was better with more formal relationships such as those with the council, community activists, city employees etc.

I'm not trying to be condecending or anything but I really think people should read leadership by Giuliani to see some of the things necessary to be a good mayor such as political skills, communication skills, management skills, public speaking skills, leadership ability etc. I don't recommend voting for Giuliani for president though.

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:46 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Good point

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Adam schreef:

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:12 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
quote:
00SL2 schreef:

Just because the council doesn't have unanimous votes doesn't mean they aren't on good terms with each other.

I thought I heard some candidates mention following the charter and coming up with a master plan like the charter requires. if Williamson has a plan perhaps he should put it in writing like he is supposed to do.

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:12 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Mayor Don Williamson has a proven record and none of the candidates do.

Dale Weighill and Dayne Walling will cancel each other out.

Sheldon Neely has too much baggage,

Your analysis is interesting. The only thing I'm curious about is "Mayor Don Williamson has a proven record and none of the candates do." What good is his record going to do him! Balanced budget by going into debt! Wasted million’s of lawsuits that would never have existed had he not been bullheaded and just plain stupid, Hiring more police that Flint has possibly ever hired and still having crime rise ten times higher than the national average. While the whole time telling everyone that "MAJOR CRIME HAS BEEN REDUCED IN FLINT"! He's outa there. Only, Who will beat him?
Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Hmmm You may have something there.
Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ted you and I both know the Da Don could crap money and you would complain it was not green enough. I would rather agree to disagree.

I am glad you are back!! Very Happy

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:31 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: