FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Flint City Derby Girls / Flint River Floaters Roller Derby Team

Topic: Roller derby league draws skaters looking for action

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

GRAND BLANC TOWNSHIPTHE GRAND BLANC NEWSSunday, June 03, 2007By Theresa Roachtroach@grandblancnews.com • 810.766.6335
GRAND BLANC TWP. - It was "skate or die" for the women who tried out for Flint's roller derby league, the Flint City Derby Girls.

OK, so it was actually all skate and no die. The team gained nine new players and all the roller girls earned a few bumps and bruises.

About 100 people watched as the league conducted tryouts, games and demonstrations from 7 p.m. to midnight May 24 at Rollhaven Skating Center, 5315 S. Saginaw in Grand Blanc Township.

Terri-Lynn "Exicuti" Frasher of Flint, a former member of the Detroit Roller Derby League, said she is glad to see roller derby finally come to the Flint area.

"I'm excited by the fact that it's local," said Frasher. "If you have aggression, this is the place to let it out. You can be wild. Girls can let their hair down here without judgment."

The 34-year-old is a dental assistant by day and a roller girl by night. She's been interested in the sport for about a year but hasn't played since her Detroit team disbanded last year.

The Flint City Derby Girls have one team in the league, the Flint River Floaters. League Administrator Jean "R. Mia Darkness" Peplinski said the women hope to create three teams and participate in competitions next year.

To play the game opposing teams each have five players on the derby track during a jam. There are two jams in one two-minute bout, or match. During the bout two players called the pivots set the pace, while three blockers play defense.

Two jammers from the opposing teams score points by fighting their way through the pack. The first jammer to break through is the lead jammer and can signal the end of the game, usually a strategic move to ensure her team wins. During the second lap jammers earn one point for each opposing player they pass.

The blockers do anything they can to stop the jammer, but some tripping, holding, punching, elbowing and clothes-lining are illegal. Referees sentence the offending skater to the penalty box.

Although there are a lot of rules, the most important part of the game is having a good attitude about getting a little beaten up, said Dana "Elbino Rhino" Morris, 18, a senior at Davison Alternative High School.

"I just go for it. I go all out. I'm here to have fun and beat people up," joked Morris, who has suffered a bruised tailbone and ribs.

She said her skating skills are still in the beginning stage, unlike her friends Keely and Kara Brown, who recruited her to the team.

The sisters are the twin daughters of Rollhaven Skating Center's owners, Danny and Kim Brown. Kara and Keely Brown say they've been skating for as long as they can remember.

"We did anything with wheels that we could strap on to our feet," said Kara "Black N' Deck-Her" Brown.

When the sisters - theater majors at the University of Michigan-Flint - saw the posting about roller derby at the skating center, they didn't hesitate to join.

"Ever since I first heard of (roller derby), I wanted to do it, but I thought I'd have to cart myself to Detroit," said Keely "Whippor Smackher" Brown.

"It's fast-paced, it gets the adrenaline pumping. It's just an all-around good time."

The ladies of the team will make appearances throughout the Flint area this year with a booth at the Flint Farmers' Market from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sundays, depending on space availability. The women also have committed to volunteer events for the Flint River Coalition, breast cancer awareness and AIDS awareness.

The team will host an overnight lock-in at Rollhaven on June 29. Admission costs $15 for a night of scary movies, makeovers, music, prizes and roller derby demos. The team has not announced the hours for the event.

Fans can keep track of the Flint City Derby Girls and the Flint River Floaters by visiting the team's MySpace page at www.myspace.com/flintriverfloaters

http://www.mlive.com/grandblanc/news/index.ssf?/base/news-3/118085090481310.xml&coll=5

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: