FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Pay Raise Proposal

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Flint City Council has rejected Mayor Don Williamson's request to allow him to give certain employees pay raises. Williamson says he only wants to raise the salaries of the Finance Director and Transportation Director. He says he also wants to cut pay for some positions but declined to say who. Council members say they won't consider the proposal without more information, like current salaries. Several of them also say their first priority, when it comes to raises, needs to be the police department.

http://www.wsmh66.com/flint_mi/news/css_local.shtml#story2
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

I found it odd that the media did not report on which councilmembers voted yes. Buchanan, Gonzales and Hill voted yes on the appointee raises all other council voted No!
Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:14 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It's Amazing the arguements used.
I really become frustrated with this idea that we have have to pay obsorbant salrys for talent. These people get excellent benifits. Much better than other people doing the same jobs outside of government.
the one main theme though. THat they are worth 10 to 50 times as much because they make the decsions, compared to the people actually doing the jobs that make 6 and 8 dollars an hour to actually do the work.
If we just go back only 8 years, Look at what the people at the bottom were making then compared to the people covered by this pay increase.
The people at the bottom took pay cuts. The people at the top took pay freezes. Now they want to give raises to the people at the top. Without first giving back the money that the people at the bottom gave up. Just a little one sided don't you think.
Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Inez, refused a pay increase in the past. Yet she was on this proposal as was the Ombudsman position. Which is by the charter the same pay as clerk. You'd think they'd wait until after the vote? The mayor sets the pay but as long as he will not settle the police contract. I say no raises. The clerk is above reproach if she will not accept a raise no one in higher office deserves one! The mayor wants to pay the big guys and not the people that do the work.
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:05 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: