FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Audit shows a general fund surplus for the 1st time in 6 yrs

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

A$6.1-million surplus , how are the Mayor's nay sayers going to spin this one??
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

I'll give it a spin. How much of this is actually the mayors doing?
Could this be a result of the line item budget? Could a major factor be the work that was done by the grants dept. to clean up the budget as was directed by Kurtz?

I don't believe all the tallies are in. How about the work that has been stalled (do to disagreements between council and mayor) that is now to be completed? Read matching HUD funds that we are obligated to spend. 150,000 to match the 150,000 spent by HUD and that is one case.

$688,000 in the mayors budget while he collects $1 and has one secretary? This is the largest mayors budget in 5 years. What is he spending these funds on???

The police dept. has yet to have a contract? How much will that change the budget surplus? or will that just affect next years budget?

What about pending lawsuits??? 10 million to 15 million for some type of sewer lawsuit? We could quickly go from a surplus to a deficit!

Not saying the mayor has not done well, just saying the council had better not spend too quickly.
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:58 pm 
Ted Jankowski

quote:
Could this be a result of the line item budget? Could a major factor be the work that was done by the grants dept. to clean up the budget as was directed by Kurtz?

I couldn't have said that better myself! I don't understand how so many people seem to be able to completely ignore the obvious, in order to feel good about the outcome. LOL I'm still chuckling over this one.
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:13 pm 
Ted Jankowski

NO SPIN BABY, Just the facts!!
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:14 pm 
joshfreeman

Actually I spin it to the positive.... I think that the last council did an excellent job of ensuring that taxpayers money was spent in a open and transparent way by refusing to do things like funding the mayors office at almost a million dollars when he only takes 1 dollar a year for his salary....

That surplus was probably there on June 30 when the fiscal year ended... unfortunately though, the new council and the mayor have spent around 2 million of it in less than two months... so I don't believe we have that much money any more.... The audit was a snap shot of where we were on that date (June 30) we won't know how the mayor and this new council are at handling money until next December when the current fiscal year is audited...

The line item budget would not have affected this surplus... the line item budget that we passed would only concern the current fiscal year, which started in July....

The City is going to face some very serious financial issues in this coming year... lawsuits, delphi, police contracts, paying back HUD for illegally spending money.....

That 6 million will be gone fast.....
Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:13 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: