FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Hot to reduce gun violence in Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

I think this is a good idea:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051225/ap_on_re_us/gifts_for_guns

COMPTON, Calif. - "Big Daddy" Willis came to Compton to turn an illegal homemade pistol into Christmas dinner.

Charlene Watt planned to turn three shotguns into a plasma TV.

The two were among dozens of gun-toting residents who converged on a shopping center parking lot Saturday to anonymously swap firearms for gift certificates as part of a program aimed at reducing violence in this crime-plagued city.

Each was rewarded with a $100 gift card for Circuit City or the Ralphs supermarket chain, the program's co-sponsors.

In a line that snaked across a parking lot, participants from across Los Angeles County carried guns in cardboard boxes, plastic grocery bags and fancy leather cases.

"Hopefully and prayerfully this will cut down on the shootings," said Compton resident Ruther Daniels, 44, who turned in a .22-caliber handgun.

Authorities created the program after a sharp spike in Compton's crime rate this year. Sixty-eight homicides have been recorded so far in 2005, up from 39 in 2004, according to sheriff's Capt. Eric Hamilton.

Over three consecutive Saturdays, sheriff's deputies amassed more than 250 firearms, including 185 handguns, 48 high-powered rifles, 15 sawed-off shotguns and a Tec-9 semiautomatic machine gun pistol.

"The only reason you'd have these guns is to shoot at people," said sheriff's Deputy A.J. Rotella, who came up with the Gifts for Guns concept.

All will undergo ballistics checks to determine if they were used in crimes before being melted down at the sheriff's annual "gun dump."
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:08 pm 
Ted Jankowski

Personally, I'd never support that idea. Why pay people to steal guns? We live in a City where they continuously offer rewards for guns. Yet when the police know who, when and where gun thief’s are they do nothing. http://www.cityofflint.net/Crime.htm Why reward criminals further. If anything, I'd support a more liberal gun law allowing citizens to carry and use personal hand guns. If you really want to scare the crap out of a criminal. Put in gun in an honest citizens hands. They don't fear the police shooting them But, they are scared of the average Joe. It's worked in every state they've tried it in. The poster child is Florida. Violent crime rate -- 22% lower Robbery rate -- 36% lower Firearm violent crime rate -- 29% lower Firearm robbery rate -- 38% lower Homicide rate -- 31% lower Aggravated assault rate -- 14% lower Firearm homicide rate -- 38% lower Firearm aggravated assault rate-- 19% lower Handgun homicide rate -- 41% lower. Paying Criminals never works. That's why I would never go for that myself.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:27 pm 
Ted Jankowski

One more thought. See if you can follow this story and see if it really worked? It has never worked in the past. But, it does make liberals feel good that they have done something. No matter how ineffective it was. They had the right intentions.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:37 pm 
Adam Ford

It's different to offer a reward after the fact. I'd rather get guns off the streets before they're used although I too would personally prefer to have a real police department that is capable of doing investigations. It would be bad though if the program led to the stealing of guns. If you offered even $50 in Flint there are a lot of people that would try to get guns by stealing them. I think a better approach would be to offer a cash reward for information leading to the arrest of a person carrying an illegal weapon or something. Regardless rewards generally do work. I think crimestoppers has proved that but nothing is effective 100% of the time. No matter what there will always be some killings in Flint even if there were no guns or no knives but if there were no guns I think there would be less killings.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:02 pm 
Ted Jankowski

I agree, Rewards do work. unfortunately, when we have a police force that refuses to follow up on such cases. What good is the reward. I believe if the Police would just enforce the laws we have now. We wouldn't have this problem. http://www.cityofflint.net/Crime%20rate%20reasons.htm Try that and tell me what you think?
Post Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:01 pm 
rapunzel

A dedicated tip line will be actively promoted,1-800-ATF-GUNS managed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF), for anyone to call 24 hours a day ,seven days a week, anonymously with tips about illegal guns, felons with guns or the illegal sale of guns. This professional tip line features no caller ID and tipsters identities are completely protected. There is a chance for financial reward if a conviction results.
for the latest on Project Safe Neighborhood activities in the Eastern District of Michigan visit www.psnworks.org
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:53 am 
rapunzel

Wayne County: Project Safe Neighborhoods Review

Featuring:
U.S. Attorney Jeffrey G. Collins
Wayne County Prosecutor Mike Duggan
Special Agent-in-Charge Greg Holley - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives
Detroit, MI - In its first year, Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN) Eastern District of Michigan Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence has had a positive impact on gun violence in Wayne County. From April 2002 to April 2003, U.S. Attorney Jeffrey G. Collins reported a 34% decrease in the number of homicides in the City of Detroit, and an average drop in the number of total shootings in Detroit over this same period of 32 per- month. "One of the components of PSN is enforcement," said Jeffrey Collins, "and we have had excellent results with our gun case referral agreement with Wayne County Prosecutor Mike Duggan. The assistance provided by Greg Holley and the special agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives as well as that provided by Jerry Oliver and the Detroit Police Department has likewise been invaluable." Since April 2002, 172 cases were referred over for federal prosecution, 81 of these cases are Track I cases, meaning the sentence is a minimum of 57 months under federal sentencing guidelines and 21 of these cases carry a minimum sentence of 15 years.

Prevention initiatives are also a key component of PSN. Project Sentry is PSN's interactive school outreach program that teaches young people in the elementary and middle schools the short and long term ramifications of gun violence from a legal, medical, personal, social and economic perspective. The response from youth, educators and parents has been tremendous. In its first six months, Project Sentry has positively impacted more than 1,200 youth in Detroit, Inkster and Highland Park Public Schools. We are now working in Southwest Detroit and will have an extensive schedule throughout Wayne County during the 2003-2004 school year. Every student, in every school, in every community, is in need of Project Sentry.

Prevention initiatives targeting felons also play a significant role in PSN's efforts to reduce gun violence in Wayne County. A groundbreaking program in Detroit and other communities in Wayne County called "Face to Face," seeks to impact recidivism among those individuals who are on probation and parole for gun crimes. U.S. Attorney Collins, Wayne County Prosecutor Duggan, ATF Special Agent-in-Charge Holley, Detroit Police Chief Oliver and other representatives of federal, state and local law enforcement and the Michigan Department of Corrections meet "face-to-face" with individuals on probation and parole for gun crimes, explaining both the consequences of committing another offense and the availability of services, such as education and job training, which can help change their lives and prevent recidivism.

Collaboration is the key to PSN's success and a model of this is the recent PSN Law Enforcement Town Hall "Call to Action" meeting in Highland Park. Nearly 400 residents came together with city, county, state and federal law enforcement officials to learn about the various agencies working to make Highland Park a safe community. The residents were empowered to take back their streets through CB Patrol, Neighborhood Watches, Block Club Formation and Code Enforcement. U.S. Attorney Collins made a recommendation for a two-year grant of $70,000 per year to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office for an on-site prosecutor in Highland Park.

The PSN programs come together through a comprehensive public awareness campaign in order to effectively reach all of our audiences. We have formed a dynamic Public Awareness Committee, led by Leven C. Weiss, Senior Manager for Civic and Community Relations for DaimlerChrysler Corporation. Over the next two months, PSN's campaign will be on TV, Radio, in print and on billboards and the goal of the campaign is to prevent gun crimes by targeting felons and educating youth and adults to take an active role in preventing gun violence in their own lives, schools and communities, as well as reporting the illegal use of guns. PSN's campaign consultant, The Goodwin Company, has created the "Bad Medicine" ad, and will be entered into the Detroit Newspaper Agency's "Partnership for Humanity" competition.

U.S. Attorney Jeffrey G. Collins is leading Project Safe Neighborhoods, a national, Department of Justice initiative to reduce gun violence, implemented regionally by each U.S. Attorney in an effort to make communities safer, more viable places to live. In Wayne County, PSN works in partnership with Wayne County Prosecutor Mike Duggan, Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, Detroit Police Chief Jerry Oliver, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and others to implement the program.

www.psnworks.org
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:20 am 
rapunzel

City council meeting agenda- Finance commmittee- Wed-Jan 18, 2006
Agreement Recognition & Appropriation\US Department of Justice|Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,firearms & Explosives|Overtime Reimbursement|Arson Investigation & Gun Tracing

Resolution authorizing the appropriate City Officials to do all things necessary to enter into the ATF Task Force & Gun Tracing agreement by and between the City of Flint and the Dept. of Justice in the amount of $20,000 and recognizing monies in like amount and appropriating like amount to the City of Flint Police Dept. Operating General fund (101FD) account to be used soley for the above stated purpose as set forth in agreement.( the overtime will be charged directly to account 101-308.201-709.000 and the associated revenue for this overtime reimbursement is 101-308.201-677.000.)

This is a good thing and please forgive any possible typing errors on my part. RAP---Does this mean matching funds????
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:51 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Your right, I knew there was more. It was getting late.. LOL I'll go back and add Adams and yours to it. I see where it is. Possibly even start a new thread. I had thought that large post would bump the whole thing to a new page.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: