FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor and Council members salaries frozen for next two years

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The salaries of Mayor Don Williamson and Flint City Council members will stay the same for the next two years.

he Local Officers Compensation Commission voted 5-0 Wednesday night not to change the pay of elected city officials, citing Flint's poor economic conditions.

Mayor receives a salary of $102,190.11, but only takes $1 a year.

City Council President - $23,174.68

Vice President - $22,646.00

Council members - $22,118.00

The council sets its own benefits.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski

. Hey Steve,
As much as I am not happy with this new council or the Mayor. I'm surprised at what they get paid. The Mayors position is a bit too high and the Council's is a bit too low. The public expects the Council to do everything and be everywhere. It could be a full time job. I sometimes wonder if they would not do a better job if they could afford to live off a Full time wage. Say, the Council President at 45,000 and the Members at 30,000 - 35,000. I always felt the Flint Mayor was overpaid. Back when Stanley was Mayor. That position should be 75,000 - 85,000. Personally, I would never run for Council as it would take up too much of my time. Not enough to be as informed as necessary to do the Job. Same thing as being a Flint Police officer. They get paid peanuts compared to what they have to do. We all expect great things form our elected officials. Yet this city ties the hands of the Council to be able to really get into the system and see what they can do make changes for the better. Watching the meetings on TV it really seems as if they chasing answers that they should already know or at least have a good idea about. When you work 40 to 60 hours a week and then try to put another 40 into making informed decisions. I don’t see where they have the time necessary doing Council work as a Part Time job.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:17 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: