FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: [#3] the 1974 Charter and the Executive Branch (Mayor) Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

FLINT CITIZEN- [#3] the 1974 Charter and the Executive Branch (Mayor) Flint MI USA

By: Terry Bankert- Most of this article is from a publication of the 1974 Charter Commission. http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/

The Mayor is the chief executive officer of the City of Flint and is responsible for the day to day administration of City business.

In addition the Mayor will have broad leadership responsibilities.

He or she must deliver the Annual " State of the City" address in which the progress, problems and possible course of action for the city are outlined for the public.

This address will summarize the Mayors policy planning leadership during the previous year and set goals for the coming year.

CHARTER 4-101

The mayor is the chief executive officer of the City and shall have such powers and duties as are granted by state law or this charter.

4-102

The Mayor shall serve for a period of 4 years....

4-103 OBLIGATION OF LEADERSHIP

The Mayor shall take care that the laws be enforced and shall recommend to the City Council from time to time proposals for dealing with the problems of the city....

4-201

The Mayor with the approval of the City Council shall appoint a city administrator.

4-202

The Mayor shall appoint the principal official responsible for budget, personnel, planning, legal counsel and administrative services; they shall serve at the pleasure of the Mayor. ...There shall be no more than 10 principal staff officials...There shall be no more than 10 executive departments...

More importantly the Mayor took an oath that he would follow the City Charter. If the City is in trouble because the Mayor and or the Council are not following the City Charter [ will of the people] the Mayor should be held accountable by the voters.

Our democratic charter expects checks and balances between the Mayor and City Council, compliance with all of the elements of the City Charter, open government and accountability to Flint residents.

Ask your self the question does the mayor exercise leadership as measured in part by compliance with the Flint City Charter?

TRB

Article #4 will be The Executive Branch

The Flint Citizen is a publication of Attorney Terry R. Bankert of Flint Michigan USA. http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/

attorneybankert@yahoo.com

Terry R. Bankert P.C., 1000 Beach St., Flint MI 48503 810.235.1970 fax 234-5080
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
TJBear

Two things stick out in my mind when I read this. One, 10 principal staff officials and 10 executive departments. Does this mean he can have basically 20 appointees. Or are those 10 exec's to be over those departments? Even if it is only 10 appointees. The city doesn't have the type of tax revenue it had in 1974. I think the charter needs an update. Departments and appointee staffing should be tied into the size of the city and number of residents. It should be a ratio per 10,000 or so.
And enforcement of the Law. This is one of my pet peeves. The mayor is the top officer. While he cannot arrest someone. He does have the authority to make the police do their jobs. He has not. He will have them arrest a paper boy for selling papers in City hall. But he won't arrest a convicted felon for breaking into houses and stealing guns. That is pretty darn selective enforcement. They mayor has been in Office now two years. I have still not seen a plan to take care of the MOST important problem facing this city. The City's CRIME RATE. It seems strange that the one thing he has influence over that no one else can interfere with. He hasn't done a thing. "4-103 OBLIGATION OF LEADERSHIP
The Mayor shall take care that the laws be enforced and shall recommend to the City Council from time to time proposals for dealing with the problems of the city...." You cannot even grade the Mayor on this since he has yet to do a thing when it comes to enforcing laws. He only picks and chooses the ones that work for him.
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:24 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: