FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Council has approved amending budget for additional spending

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The City Council has approved amending the budget for about $475,000 in additional spending.

The money will be used for expenses including funding mayoral appointees, printing and publishing the annual budget book and the Genesee County Work Release Program.

In the same vote, the council also voted to undo the line-item budget. This removed an extra level of council oversight by allowing department heads to transfer money in their departments without council approval.

Ninth Ward Councilman Scott Kincaid and 6th Ward Councilman Sheldon Neeley, the council vice president, were against removing the line-item budget. Kincaid said council members and the public should be able to know where money is being spent

Full Story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-33/1133283056155160.xml&coll=5
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
TJBear

Can anyone say? Rubber Stamp.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:50 am 
TJBear

Oh, and I really thought that was stupid when everyone was saying that before the election. It reminded me of when Bush Sr. was calling Clinton the Waffleman. LOL. I feel bad now thinking that. It appears that those people were correct in their assesment. Let me reiterate. Let's just dismantle the City Council and Ombusmans office and let Don do it all himself. No need to pay anyone else if they are going to refuse to do their job. I can't believe I'm saying this "I sure do miss the old city council" even with JOhnny "foot in his mouth"? coleman.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:55 am 
Pachuco1

I think the council should run their branch and the admins should run their's, the line item budget let the council idirectly run the exec. branch. People say this council is a rubber stamp, which I beleive they are not, they aprove the mayor's proposals, but did you think they might just be good proposal and appointments ? Atleast they don't cuss in meeting, break their own rules, name call, hold up proposals, reject proposal because of anger,let Eric Mays do whatver he want during a meeting, and they do not waste their time arguing and bashing the admin, instead of doing their jobs professionally and respectfully. if this council is a council, what if the city improves, then what, what can you say about this council. They are not a rubber stamp, even thought they approve mayors things, instead of flatout reject them, or stall them, what they are doing is working with the mayor, maybe you all forgot since the old council constantly at every meeting did not work with the mayor, only agreeing on building roads. Would you rather have the new or old council, one that is cooperative, or hostile. Yes they mayor has name called them alot, but many of the council talked about being fiscally responsible, not being a rubber stamp, whatever, why wern't they fiscally responsible as they call it,d during the entire Stanley administration, can someone please answer that. Name three thing that the old council accomplised and three things the new one accomplised. Compare how the meeting were handled. The mayor is a newcomer to politics, and still has ALOT to learn, but he has done alot with the old council, just imagine what the new council and him ca do now that they work together.Also compare the tone with the new and old council meetings, I can't wait for the state of the city address. The line item budget is not giving council power away, it is giving the administration back some of their power thwe council took. Also the mayor was imply getting back money for his office he had, before the council gutted it and payed their attorneys and to fatten their own budget.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:08 am 
Ted Jankowski

I think the council should run their branch and the administration should run theirs, the line item budget let the council indirectly run the exec. branch. <>The line item budget allowed for the council to be able to make sure money that was earmarked for say Police officers or City Services would actually get spent on those items. Instead the Mayor has chosen to play politics and refuse to spend the money on what it was meant for. <>
People say this council is a rubber stamp, which I believe they are not, they approve the mayor's proposals, but did you think they might just be good proposal and appointments ?
<> so you are saying that spending HUD money to Buy homes at twice the market value so someone on the mayors team can make BoKoo Bucks on the deal, and bring more unemployment to flint, more people on state assistance, is a better idea than using the money to fund organizations that had already been approved to receive the funds? Just because the Mayor decided they miss-managing the funds. When there wasn’t any evidence of that? <>

At least they don't cuss in meeting, break their own rules, name call, <> Ok I’m with you until this point<> hold up proposals, reject proposal because of anger, <> It’s not anger to hold up a proposal because it’s a BAD idea Or not legal by the City Charter<> let Eric Mays do whatever he want during a meeting <> Ok I’m back with you again on this one <> and they do not waste their time arguing and bashing the admin, instead of doing their jobs professionally and respectfully. <>You know this statement works both ways.<> if this council is a council, what if the city improves, then what, what can you say about this council. They are not a rubber stamp, even thought they approve mayors things, instead of flat-out reject them, or stall them, what they are doing is working with the mayor, maybe you all forgot since the old council constantly at every meeting did not work with the mayor, only agreeing on building roads. <> It would be great if the city improves, But it needs to be done by the charter, I don’t know about you but I’m tired of being lied to by the administration, (try reading the latest interview on the Uncommon sense website with Joe Conroy spin mister extraordinaire) And you must not have been watching any of the meetings. I saw some where the Council publicly liked some of his proposal but had some questions and questionable sections. It was rejected but they wanted more input from the Mayor. Who REFUSED to talk to them about it. Don is a My way or the Highway type person. That’s actually one of the things I like about him. However, he needs to pick and choose the GOOD fight. So far he hasn’t. He just throws temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way. And starts name calling<>
Would you rather have the new or old council, one that is cooperative, or hostile. <> I want them to use common sense and look out for the best interest of the City! Not the best interest of Don’s Property in Mt Morris or Joe’s Real estate business. I want our tax dollars to be spent wisely. Such as buying Police vehicles for City businesses and not from Lansing. Or purchasing Safer and more cost effective vehicles like the Chevy impala. Then not lie to me about the reasons they bought them from Lansing<> Yes they mayor has name called them a lot, but many of the council talked about being fiscally responsible, not being a rubber stamp, whatever, why weren’t they fiscally responsible as they call it during the entire Stanley administration, can someone please answer that. <> Sure, Be glad to. It was the city council that discovered that the Stanley Administration was not being fiscally responsible. They began the process to find out what was going on. They fixed it. Not Kurtz. Go back and check the record. <> Name three thing that the old council accomplished and three things the new one accomplished. <>They approved money for New officers that the Mayor never hired, They approved Funds for Eastside redevelopment that they never received, They approved funds for Salem housing that they never received. I don’t get your point. So your saying that because Don didn’t like something and refused to pay out the money. It’s the Councils fault? That Don was playing politics? <> Compare how the meeting were handled. <>Ok but already in the first few meetings the old ways are coming back. They allowed someone the other day to go over their time limit because he was slamming a former Councilman for something he could not do. He could not do the mayors job for him. This guy was complaining about a letter he wrote to city officials, (BTW he wrote to everyone who had no authority to do anything about) They allowed him to berate the former councilman on over time. Then to Jim Anniach’s credit he did ask for a copy so he COULD WRITE A REFERAL!! Which means he was requesting the Mayors office look into the problem. The same thing the prior council man probably did. But because DON was playing politics he used a citizens problem to work it against a councilman. The problem is too many people don’t understand government enough to know who the right person to go to is. If you try to go to DON directly about anything that is directly within his power to solve. He will not unless it is painting over graffiti with Crap colored paint. He’ll get right on that. <> The mayor is a newcomer to politics, and still has ALOT to learn, <> Seems to me he has learned very well. Under Joe Conroy’s tutelage he continuously evades issues and makes obviously inaccurate statements about other elected officials to turn focus off what his administration is or isn’t doing. Just look at the Flat out wrong statements he made about Dale Kildees voting record. <> but he has done a lot with the old council, <> Yes help him get the old Buick City property designed for him to be able to bring BRAINERD INTERNATIONAL INC to Flint with the property already set up for one of his own businesses. <> just imagine what the new council and him can do now that they work together. <> Yep JUST IMAGINE they currently have a supposed surplus in the budget. Take out the last Buick plant closing in flint’s property tax, income tax of their employees. Add that loss to the 30% loss from Delphi employee pay cuts and the number is more than the surplus. It is much less if you believe the mayor’s projected losses. Do I hear the pitter patter of the Kurtz’s feet running back to the Mayors office. I can see it coming again. This one I’ll even be willing to make a bet on? Not that Kurtz will be back. But that the Administration is grossly under projecting the tax losses from Buick and Delphi cuts. <> Also compare the tone with the new and old council meetings, <> Yep I get a kick out of the tone. Someone brings up a legitimate concern, No one wants to discuss it. Buchanan says “I’m voting for it.” Then the rest of the new council pulls out their rubber stamp. Yep I’m enjoying the tone. <> Everybody votes for it. I can't wait for the state of the city address. <> that should be hoot. I mean, what has Don ever given a straight answer to. Again I recommend reading the interview on the Uncommon sense this months issue.<> The line item budget is not giving council power away, <> When it comes to giving power away, that was not my point in other articles. By no longer having Grants applied through the process of reviews that it has in the past. And allowing Don to decide where he wants to spend it. They have effectively cut out public debate as they just did a few weeks ago. They have set the precedent for future budgets and mayors to ignore the will of the people. It no longer requires the public’s input, No longer requires debate, or even Council input. I have the Minutes at home if you’d like me to look that up for you.<> it is giving the administration back some of their power the council took. <> I preferred the Line item because now it’s all or nothing. It gives more power to the Mayor (not just Don) to spend or waste as he sees fit. Whereas with the line item I believe both sides had this ability. Which should allow both sides to sit down and work out those parts. But you can’t work anything out if the Mayor refuses to. And that is exactly what he has done. Then he turns around and blames the council because we refuses to work with them. Boy I love politics. <> Also the mayor was imply getting back money for his office he had, before the council gutted it and paid their attorneys and to fatten their own budget. <> well if everybody would just get along and work within the Charter, none of that would have been necessary. So I guess now you have what you want. City Funds being wasted on outside the city contractors, purchasing of , more expensive and less safe equipment from out of town dealerships, the purchasing of homes to bring more unemployment to Flint. Boy these were some really bad things the old council refused to approve. Oh, but he did have a few paper boys arrested at city hall. <>
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:19 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: