FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Council members get mayor's advice

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the shadow of the Blue Water Bridge, some newly elected members of the Flint City Council meet for a retreat in Port Huron.

Before they are sworn into office on Monday, six of the nine Flint City Council members attended the retreat that was coordinated by the office of Flint Mayor Don Williamson.
Some of the newly-elected Flint City Council members lunched in the Ivy Room of the Thomas Edison Inn, with the mayor and members of his administration.

During the retreat, the mayor gave them some advice before they officially take office. "What I'm saying to the elected officials here today is you have a unique opportunity to show the taxpayer that you're willing to do what they want done. Give 'em services, be honest with 'em and forget the corruption."

The mayor later explained why he felt the need to call them all together in Port Huron. "First of all, (former) Senator Conroy is the one that set this up, lined it up and worked with all the people. I wasn't. A retreat is usually out of town, not in town."

Mayor Williamson spent his own money to help get all six elected to office, but two of the winners says there will be no "quid pro quo." That is to say, they'll listen to the mayor but might not always vote in favor of his proposals.

"Definitely not. I think again, I'm going to vote from the bottom of my heart. I'm gonna vote for the issues that affect the residents, first and foremost, from the eighth ward," said Ehren Gonzales.

"I'm going to be the people's guy. You know, the seventh ward.- the council for the seventh ward, that's the people I'm going to take care of," said Jim Ananich.

The Williamson administration is hopeful the fresh air of Port Huron will help lead to a more diplomatic relationship between the mayor and city council. "This will be a new start for a new Flint," Williamson said.

Some in the group headed back to Flint Saturday. Others are spending the night for a session tomorrow. City funds are being used to pay for the retreat.

The new council will start making decisions on Monday.

They'll be sworn in at noon and abc12 News will cover the event live.

Full Story:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=3627356
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
tjbear101

On the eve of such obvious lies to the city of Flint. Don williamson has the gall to advice others on "Honesty" This after running a smear campiagn of blantant lies about Josh Freeman. Then without missing a beat lying about Dale Kildess's record on voting. It has become more and more apparent that there is one thing that we can count on for sure. That if Don's lip's are moving, a lie is coming out. I can fill a page with more examples if you like.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:29 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: