FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor's crew an election shoo-in?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mayor Don Williamson isn't up for election, but he sure is making his mark in this year's City Council races.

Need evidence of Williamson's involvement in Tuesday's election? How about slick campaign literature bashing council incumbents in several wards, mobile billboards endorsing a Williamson slate of candidates, and volunteers doing odd jobs for potential voters.

Wherever Williamson goes, from riding around the neighborhoods in his trademark van to news conferences and public events, the mayor usually doesn't stray far from his message: The current council - with the exception of 1st Ward Councilman Darryl E. Buchanan - has to go.

Williamson says he's not campaigning, he's only letting voters know whom he wants elected Tuesday. And he's confident.

"The race is over," Williamson predicted. "Everyone has made up their mind already. No incumbent that has opposition will get re-elected. The people of Flint are fed up with them."

But the message hasn't swayed Flint resident Brian Crawford.

"I haven't decided yet," said Crawford, 39, a construction worker who was walking by one of Williamson's billboards parked this week at the corner of N. Saginaw Street and E. Stewart Avenue.

The mayor's opponents accuse him of trying to buy seats on the council, with whom he has fought for more than a year after the two sides were united on ending the state takeover of Flint.

"He's trying to get his cronies in there so anything he wants will get passed without question," said 4th Ward Councilman Joshua Freeman, whom Williamson opposes.

But the candidates Williamson backs say they are running to unseat council members who care more about their own interests than the public.

"No one can buy me," said Sandy Hill, who finished well ahead of Freeman in the August primary. "I just want to remind everyone that my opponent did get support the first time, so he knows what it's like to be in my shoes."

Freeman and others say Williamson's involvement - which they allege includes using city resources to help candidates - breaks various election laws. Williamson has denied those charges. Freeman has filed complaints with the Genesee County clerk and state agencies.

After reviewing the complaints, an official with the secretary of state informed Freeman that the state has dismissed some allegations while it is pursing others.

The county clerk's office has turned over Freeman's complaint to the Genesee County Sheriff's Department without a recommendation, said Robert Coffman, county elections supervisor.

"There are a lot of accusations," Coffman said. "Is there evidence? I don't know. That'll all be up to the sheriff to determine."

Coffman said the most questionable activity is Williamson's use of vehicles that advertise his wife's auto dealership in campaign-related activities, which could violate corporation law.

Another campaign issue is the fact some people tied to Williamson - either working for his business or for the city - are prominent volunteers for candidates. One volunteer is Raymond Bridges, who is on a leave from his salesman job at the Flint Township auto dealership owned by the mayor's wife, Patsy Lou.

Bridges drives one of the trucks pulling billboards that play a recorded campaign message to a patriotic march. He said he's been volunteering eight hours a day, six days a week to help Williamson.

The mayor's efforts are only going to increase through Tuesday, Bridges said.

"It's intense right now," said Bridges, who came in fourth in the 7th Ward primary in August. "I've seen people give us the finger, but most of the people are upbeat about it."

Full Story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-32/1131123002181730.xml&coll=5&thispage=1
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: