FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 8th Ward election could be nail-biter

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

FLINT - A three-term incumbent is facing off against a rising political star and a political newcomer in what could be the most competitive race this year for a seat on the City Council.

"That's going to be down to the wire," said Sam Riddle, a Michigan-based media and political consultant.

Duking it out for the 8th Ward is incumbent Lawrence B. Murphy, Ehren Gonzales, a Mott Community College trustee and son of state House Rep. Lee Gonzales, and Charlene Merchant, who says her 38 years in various businesses has made her a millionaire.

The first test is the Aug. 2 primary when the field will shrink, with only the top two vote-getters advancing to battle each other for the four-year seat in the Nov. 8 general election.

Like in other races, the challengers are focusing on community unity and improving relations with Mayor Don Williamson as driving messages in their campaigns.

But Riddle says they face a tough opponent in Murphy, considered a council moderate who has been willing to compromise. Murphy also has been known for his good constituent services and his integrity.

He also was the only member who refused to take the back pay the council voted itself after the state takeover ended.

"People love Murphy," Riddle said. "It would be an upset."

Both challengers say they respect Murphy and his public service, but Gonzales says Murphy sides too often with the mayor's opponents while Merchant says it's time for Murphy, 75, to retire.

"He's been there so long, he needs a rest," said Merchant, 58, adding she doesn't mean that in a "harsh way."

"We need some fresh faces in Flint."

Murphy says he's healthy and remains committed to serving and working toward his goal of bettering city neighborhoods through better enforcement of ordinances. He also strives to help revitalize downtown and support the city's higher educational institutions.

"I still think I can make a difference and I enjoy the work," Murphy said. "I have the best attendance record. I'm down at City Hall every day. " I return my phone calls. People can get ahold of me."

Riddle says Murphy's longevity also could be seen as an asset, considering the recent circus-like atmosphere at City Hall that's included lawsuits, investigations and name-calling.

"Murphy radiates stability," he said. "His age isn't necessarily a handicap."

But Riddle adds that Gonzales, 34, is formidable challenger, citing a high-energy level and good reputation in the community. He said it wouldn't be a surprise if Gonzales wins, although one drawback that he faces is his intention to remain on the MCC board if elected.

"How many masters can you serve?" asked Riddle, adding that voters will want someone who is focused on the city's many problems.

But Gonzales, who also commutes almost two hours a day to his job in Livonia as a purchasing analyst with Ford, says he excels at multitasking. He noted he earned his master's degree in three years while working at Ford and serving on the MCC board.

In addition, he said he serves on the board of National Association of Community College Trustees and could be in line to lead in future years - a role that gives Flint and Genesee County a voice in shaping national education policy.

Gonzales said he would likely step down from the MCC board if he found that the council seat required it, but he thinks he would be better doing both.

"I don't just sit back and do nothing," he said. "(I) take additional roles to make me the most effective person I can be."

Gonzales says his experience on the MCC board, where he says people on the board "respect each other," will help him build consensus between the council and the mayor's office. His experience, he said, also will help him promote an agenda of building better relationships with county and state government and doing away with the ombudsman's office to save money.

Riddle predicts Murphy and Gonzales will emerge from the primary, saying those two both have name recognition and a core constituency to rely on that Merchant lacks.

But while a newcomer to politics, Merchant is confident in her bid, saying she has visited 4,000 homes in the ward over the last month and a half in her effort to drum up support for her message of fighting the drug problem and focusing on the positive.

"I put my best into it, let the best man or woman win," she said.

Full Story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-30/1122211260294910.xml&coll=5
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: