FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor Asks State to Investigate City Clerk's Office

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sparks are flying at flint city hall as the mayor announces a new investigation.

This time it's dealing with a city council candidate's claim against some election workers. This is a story with many sides.

"There is something that stinks in the Clerk's office," Mayor Don Williamson said Thursday on a local radio talk show.

Williamson says city council candidate Sandra Hill convinced him city clerk workers may be culpable of some degree of election fraud.

"Ms. Hill filed a complaint with the Flint Police Department. The police referred it to my office and I referred it to the State of Michigan," said City attorney Trachelle Youg during a news conference called by the mayor.

The city attorney says Hill spoke to the mayor after turning in petitions for her candidacy to the fourth ward council seat.

Hill tells Newscenter 25 on two occasions clerk's office workers told her some signatures she submitted were copies, therefore invalid.

"We go through the petitions in accordance with the law. With integrity and with all due respect to the law," said City Clerk Inez Brown.

Brown said rather than asking her directly about the election process, the mayor sent uniformed police to her office to investigate candidate Hill's claim.

Brown says her staff even called Hill before the deadline, giving the candidate enough time to get valid signatures.

Brown says the mayor has no authority over the election process.

"Now I didn't make the law. But I am going to uphold the law and uphold the charter. And if it means that the mayor wants to take me to court, we can go to court. But I think in the end, what the people will find is that nothing irregular happened here. That we uphold the integrity of the process, that voting rights are protected. And that I will lay down my life to protect these voting rights," Brown said.

This issue is far from over. Union President Sam Muma is upset over the mayor’s actions and treatment of clerk's office workers. Clerk Brown is now asking the county prosecutor to investigate the mayor and chief of police for their involvement in election issues.

We did some checking with the state election director's office. Christopher Thomas says the way the Flint clerk’s office handled Hill's petitions seem to be within the procedures recommended by the State Bureau of Elections.

Full Story:

http://www.weyi.com/news/local/1574507.html
Post Fri May 13, 2005 10:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: