FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Shrine Temple whistleblower lawsuit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Former Shrine employee has filed a whistleblower lawsuit against the fraternal organization alleging he was fired for exposing an alleged prostitution ring involving members.

It is not recorded but thre are indications the Shrine organization plans to file a lawsuit alleging the former employee embezzled funds.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Search Results ▼
Prostitution, embezzlement allegations fly in lawsuits involving Clio ...
http://www.mlive.com/…_shriner_accuses_saginaw.html6 hours ago ... A former employee of the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple has filed a Whistleblower lawsuit against the fraternal organization, claiming he was fired ...
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:31 pm 
westflint
F L I N T O I D

Hm, I heard about a certain Shriner that owns houses in Flint. He held parties there with hookers for himself and his friends. Funny this is just getting out.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Flint Journal withdrew the story shortly after they posted it. This is one reason the Flint citizens distrust the media. Obviously political influence, as it so often does, had the story pulled. Why bother with the media when it can't be trusted to inform the public and run all of those BS "feel good" stories. Also the media ignores Flint to focus on area north of here.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:38 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I just spoke to Mike Kilbreath and there is far more to the story. The Shrine filed a lawsuit in March up in Saginaw against Nick Singelis and Craig hatch alleging misappropriation of monies related to the circus. The figure may be as much as $1 million.

Rumors are there may be an arrest soon through the Attorney Generals office.

Numerous judges have called Kilbreath since he mentioned the issue on the air. It seems Singelis may have threatened a local judge because he was unhappy over a case involving his children

It's not nice to threaten a judge.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Case number: 13-019140 Case Type: CZ
Judge: James T. Borchard
Mediation/Trial: M Date: 10/6/2013
Active Date: 3/11/2013
Bench-Warrant:
Non Jury: J
Closed Date:
Final Disposition:
Appearance: Date:
Foreign Judgment:
Plaintiff Defendant
Name: Elf Khurafeh Temple Association, Name: Hatch, Craig H
Attorney: John I. Tsiros Attorney: Roger G. Isaac
Click here for all parties involved

Events:
Date Type Comment
3/11/2013 * FILING FEE PAID
3/11/2013 C CASE FILED WITH CIRCUIT COURT
3/11/2013 - COMPLAINT FILED BY JOHN TSIROS
3/11/2013 SI SUMMONS ISSUED
3/11/2013 - EXPIRES 6-11-2013
4/4/2013 POS PROOF OF SERVICE: 03/29/2013, CRAIG HATCH
4/4/2013 - ACKNOWLEDGMENT
4/11/2013 SUP REVIEWED, CLERK'S OFFICE SUPERVISOR
4/22/2013 * APPEARANCE ON BEHALF OF NICHOLAS SINGELIS II AND WIDOW'S
4/22/2013 - SON CONSULTING LLC; PRF OF SVC BY ATTY GEORGE HAMO
4/25/2013 * HAMO, GEORGE R. ADDED AS DEF ATTY
4/25/2013 * HAMO, GEORGE R. ADDED AS DEF ATTY
4/25/2013 POS PROOF OF SERVICE: 03/25/2013, WIDOW'S SON CONSULTING LLC
4/25/2013 - PERSONAL SVC
5/6/2013 * APPEARANCE ON BEHALF OF CRAIG H HATCH BY ATTY ROGER ISAAC
5/7/2013 * ISAAC, ROGER G. ADDED AS DEFENDANT ATTORNEY
5/9/2013 * FIRST AMENDED COMPLAINT (NO NEW PARTIES); PRF OF SVC BY
5/9/2013 - ATTY JOHN TSIROS
5/10/2013 * MOTION FEE PAID
5/10/2013 DM DEFENSE MOTION
5/10/2013 - TO CHANGE VENUE, NTC OF HEARING, PRF OF SVC
5/10/2013 - FLED BY ATTY HAMO
5/10/2013 APR MOTION SCHEDULED FOR 5/20/2013 AT 1:30 PM
5/10/2013 - TO CHANGE VENUE
5/14/2013 PRF PROOF OF SERVICE
5/14/2013 - AMENDED DFNTS VERIFIED MTN TO CHANGE VENUE PURSUANT TO
5/14/2013 - MCR 2.221 & MCR 2.223 OR IN ALTERNATIVE MCR 2.222, NTC OF
5/14/2013 - HRG
5/15/2013 PFC FILE PULLED FOR COURTROOM
5/16/2013 * ANSWER TO DEFT SINGELIS & WINDOW'S SON CONSULTING LLCS
5/16/2013 - MOT FOR CHANGE OF VENUE; PRF OF SVC, FILED BY JOHN TSIROS
5/17/2013 * REPLY TO PLTFS RESPONSE TO MOTION FOR CHANGE VENUE
5/17/2013 - PRF OF SVC FILED BY ATTY HAMO
5/17/2013 * MOT FOR JOINDER WITH DEFT SINGELIS ST ALS MOT TO CHANGE
5/17/2013 - VENUE, PRF OF SVC, FILED BY ROGER ISAAC
5/20/2013 * COURT COPIES PAID
5/20/2013 * MAILING SERVICES PAID
5/20/2013 0TS CT. REPORTER: T. STEMLER, CSR-4023
5/20/2013 H HEARING HELD
5/20/2013 - PLTF ATTY J. TSIROS, DEF ATTYS R. ISAAC AND G. HAMO
5/20/2013 - PRESENT; AT DATE SET FOR MTN TO CHANGE VENUE; ARGUMENTS
5/20/2013 - OF COUNSEL; COURT WILL TAKE MATTER UNDER ADVISEMENT
5/20/2013 TUA TAKEN UNDER ADVISEMENT
5/29/2013 * COURT COPIES PAID
5/31/2013 AN ANSWER FILED
5/31/2013 - ANSWER & AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES OF DFNTS NICHOLAS SINGELIS
5/31/2013 - & WIDOWS SON CONSULTING LLC TO 1ST AMENDED
COMPLAINT, PRF
5/31/2013 - OF SVC BY ATTY GEORGE HAMO
6/3/2013 * COURT COPIES PAID
6/3/2013 AN ANSWER FILED
6/3/2013 - CRAIG H HATCH'S ANSWER TO FIRST AMENDED COMPLAINT,
6/3/2013 - AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES; PRF OF SVC BY ATTY ROGER ISAAC
6/5/2013 * PTO LETTERS/LABELS ORDERED
6/5/2013 LPO PRE-TRIAL ORDER LABELS PRINTED
6/6/2013 PTO PRETRIAL/SCHEDULING ORDER
6/6/2013 - 120 DAYS DISCOVERY
6/7/2013 * JURY FEE PAID
6/7/2013 * DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL, PRF OF SVC BY ATTY JOHN TSIROS
6/7/2013 MA CASE EVALUATION TO BE SCHEDULED AFTER 10/06/13
6/7/2013 * NTC OF TAKING DEPOSITIONS ON 06-12-13 W/11 SUBPOENAS, PRF
6/7/2013 - OF SVC BY ATTY GEORGE HAMO
6/11/2013 * COURT COPIES PAID

New Search

© 2011 County of Saginaw
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

;,;;;;.Kß - MLive.com
http://media.mlive.com/…Answer%20to%20Complaint.pdfCIRCUIT COURT FOR THE COUNTY OF SAGINAW .... EMBEZZLEMENT. 53. .... sh¡ine Ternple ancl Lhe EU Kliurafel'r shrine'femple ¡\ssocėation (the. ,,cor.p ...

Here is the link as the attached document does not copy well. This is an attachment to the defenses.

L]N¡\NIMOUS WRI'MDN CONSTIN'I'OII II]I,F I(III.JIìAIIDI,I ,\ND't't Ilil SIIRINI' CIìN'{'I'R Dt,ir lfl{uIì¡\IrLÌLI sI IRINrrl cDN,I.ER AssocA,ftoN
rN r rriu "' #il'ài¿Ë'iT:':Tlìi.il:iì S;ìiå'i[is ìvr'E-rrNc;
In lieu of the spccial meeting of Lhe lloarcl of f)irector.s (the "lloarcl,,) of l.ìtk Khr.rr¿ifeh sh¡ine Ternple ancl Lhe EU Kliurafel'r shrine'femple ¡\ssocìation (the ,,cor.p,rati..,,)
itr accorclance with a.cl 5450.1525 of the vlichigan Brìsine.s.s corporation ¡\ct (the ,,Act,,),
lollowing rnajorily c¡f the Directors of dre the'-Corporabion una.imously corrsc.t i. writi'g to the followin¡; resoluLions:
APPOINT'MI:N I' OF FINANCI^L TRANSITION,I.EAN,T
IìESOLVED, thai in accorclance with S450.153.t of the Act, each of the followi.g persons shall be, ancl l-rereby is, electecl to tl-re offices set forth oppásite their respective .¿rmes to holcl strch offices t'rL-il the Boarcl of Directors see fit anùìrntit their respecLive successors are appointecl ancl qualifiecl, or'ntil their earlier.resignation or removal:
Office
Chairperson of the Board
Vice-Chairman
Invesbment Agent
Aclvisor
Advisor
Legal Counsel
Name
Craig FI. FIarch
Alan Basner
Nicholas Singelis II
Jamie Curhis
Donald Ewles
Peter Flauffe
TRANSITION OF BUSINESS ASSETS AND INVESTMENTS
FIAD PREVISOSLY RESOLVED that it is in the best interest of rhe Corporabion creare an account at Citizens
.Bank
t9 hold liquiclatecl funcls from Mlerrill Lynch. ïo cstablish ¿rn invest plan anct policy with the assistance of Joseph Longo, l,pl Financial ancl Joe FIamo,
Jr., Wells Fargo.
Furthermore, it is-resolvecl that Eight-Hunclrecl Thoursancl Dollars and-l Zero Ce.ts be placed with I-'PL Financial anct it's
account that earns 2.75 to 3.75% until TLTPuL qu.r for the purpose of a low-risk ¡olcling Financial o.,.i ir, managers ,.,ntiif- u.,e Board of Directors a¡icl the ll'ransition Team the tìming of getting back ûrto tlie lVlarkets.
Ftrrthermore, it is resolved ihai Five-l-lunclrecl Fifty Thousancr Dollars anct Zero cer.rts be placed with The Flamo Group/weil rlqg and itis managers for the purpo.se of a row_ risk lrolding account that ea¡ns 2.75 to g.7su undl he Flamo Group/wel'rargo ¿rnd it,s
ilä"åiÏ,illl:.[ir:.,ard of Direcrors ancr rrre rransirion'ream^the rimingîf ¡;eti.g
RESOLVED' that the Company shall is.sue notice to srnith llarney Morgan stanley of saginaw that the GASH accounts ancl other funcls.shall be'issuecl to.fhe lIamo cloup/well Fargo trntil the amount equate.s to Irive-[-Iundrccl Fifty'l'housa.cl Dollars ancl Zero Cent.s.
Ewt /
o ,?/'¡rot r
^
rl/t-T€'t/
¡+t/Utìfë;S Ötr
)
UNANIMOUS WRI1T'DN CONSDN'| OIì IILF I(IIUIEAFITI{ SI-IRIND CDN'|I]Iì AND 'II ID DT,II I(FIURAITIÌII SI.IIìIND CI¡]NTT,R ASSOCATION
FUR'rHER RESOLVII), that etny arncl all actions heretofore t¿rken by any proper agent and officer, cormsel of the Corporahion in comrection with tlie mattá¡s .ärituriprotecl by the foregoing resolutiorts be, ancl they hereby are, ¿:rpplovecl, ralifiecl ancl conJirmecl i¡r all respects as fully as if such actions hacl bcln pr".sur",te.t to the lloa¡cr for its approv.l prior to strch aclio..s being taken mcl are c.ffective immecliately.
NO'NFICA'rION
In a meeting helcl by the'transition of }Jtrsiness Assets ancl lnvestments on Aug'st 3, 20t1 the following Directors, lvlembers, Aclvisors ancl TransiLion'I'eam Appointees were pre.sent at B1B5 Hlolly Rcl suite z in Grancl Blanc, Ml4B4J9-2,144:
Each Director, by signing this consent, with notice of the time, place ancl purpose of the special mgeting of the Board of Directors, consents ancl agrees to the aforementionecl
actions taken of such meefing. This written consent may be executecl in two or more counterparts.
Craig I-L Hatch,
Ronald Huston
Alan Basner,
Donald Ewles,
Charles Smiley,
jamie Curtis,
Nicholas Singelis II,
Joseph Longo,
Joe Flamo, Jr.
Presiclent
'lreasurer
Vice Presiclent
Vice Presiclent
Vice Presiclent (via elech.onic communications)
Aclvisor
Chief of Staff
LPL Financial
The Flamo Group/Well Fargo
Dated: August 3,2077
Dated: August 3,20'II
Dated: August 3,201.t.
Dated: Atrçrst 3,2017
Dated: August 3,Z}LI
'Ihese are tlre voting members of t-he DIVAN a:rcl the Boarc.l of Directo¡.s of the Ëlf Khurafeh slrrine Center having the
i:Tl"nV
ancì majority to pass the said RESOLAI'ION i¡r ¡ci:orclance wirh 5450.1.525 of rha lvf icìrigan Business Corporatìon
Craig FI. I-latchl
Charles Smiley, Vice pre.sicle
é) åpti - i (r+,*t'/t)
UNANIMOIJS WIll'l'TIIN CONSITN'r oF IIOAIìD OF Dltìtrc,toRS or|ft.tD IÌ f-I1 K I-IIJ Iì/\FL]I I S I I RI Nti,IDVI PI, E ASJSOCA'I'I O N
ln lic'tr of thc: spccial rneeLirrg o[ lhe lloa[t.l of Direcbrs (the ,,l]oarc{,,) shrine'l'er'ple of Ejf l$urafeh As.sociation (the "corporatio.,,) ancr i. ucò.dnnce with gztg6.-152s of thr: ìvlicliigan lJttsi'ess Corporario. Act (ure "Rcr;¡, the fo[owing majority ãr ,r," I)irector.s of the corporation url¿tnimously consent in wriiing to thc following rcsoluLio.s:
¡\PPoIN'I'ìvlEN'r oI DIIì[C]'oIìS, that in ¿rccolc'lance witir g450..t531 of Lhe Act, eac^ of rhe follorving persons shall be,
^ncl
l-rereby is, elected to Lhe offices set forth opposite their respective na¡nes to holcl .such clffices until the lJoa¡ci of Directors see fit ancl until theil respectivc-'strccessors are appointecl ancl quzrlifiecl, or unLil their earlicr rcsignation ol removal:
Office
Chairperson of tl-re Boarcl
Vice-Chailman
Director
Director
Di¡ector
Director
Di¡ector
Name
C-raig FI. Ilatch
Alan Basner
Donalcl Ewles
'Ihomas Platcher
John FL Winters
Charles Smiley
Ronald Fluston
WIT}I MATTERS PERTAINING TO THE BUSINESS OF TFIE ASSOCAIATION THE BOARD I-IAS RESOLVED it is resolved fo¡ the year 2011 rhe Boarcth*ìg'u"a û-rut it is in the best interest of the Corporabion to make n il"o, clistincbion in the ,.,eåungs o.,.1 minutes pertaining to matte¡ of the Corporafion ancl not to co*fuse the issues or business affai¡s of the EIf Khurafeh shri¡é Center, which is a separate co.porauon. u reports or matters are discussed it is this Boarct's ruling that ìhere .u*ui. a clear clistinction between the two organizations for tax ancl otier businuæ p*pã"es. It is further unclerstooci that the reports reacl at any meebing wil be separatej to iunu.t .n.¡, respec hive corpora hion.
Furthermore, that the Corporation has macle Nicholas singelis II the Chief of staff ancl signed a 5 year contract-wi$ n 5 year option, if the Chief of"Stuff, Mr. Singeli, .l.,ooru, to engage in the option' ìvh" singeli.s may engage his businesses (LLC) or-, ì-'i, behalf. This clarifies that lv[r' singelis shail serwe both theiemple and the AssociaLion as the Chief of staff and be given all the rights ancl privileges his co.,tract and job clescripJo., p.ouia"r. The boartl agrees to the terrns ancl conclidãns of tl-re agreement ancl hacl assignecl Mr. craig Hatch a.d lvIr. Alan Basner to execute the contraci.
FurLhermore, ii is resolvecl pertaining to the matters of finances that tjre lloarcl has met ancl agreed rrpon thÌoughout the year on all transfe¡s, checks, account formation.s, r.ainy clary circtts f'nd, the ci¡cus rcselve [,ncl, expencliirrres per.taining to the Corpora[ion, capital improvements, circus expenses ancl cirius park imþrovements.

Iìurthermore, the Boarcl of Directors ¿rncr the Transirion 'leam investments, l-r¿rve all agreecl on Lhe bransfers ancl establishments of new accounts anct hacl appoinhcl tìre representabives, Craig I-I' IIatch, .Alan J. Basner, John FL Winters ancl Nicholás singetis ll to concluct business on the (ìorporation's behatf ancl rrave appr.ovecl all s'ch lra.s¿rctions, rransfe's ancr inves tme.ts rurcr expenses.
FUITIIIER RESOLVED, that any anc{ all actions heretofore taken by a.y proper officer, agent ancl counsel of the Corporation in connection with the mattórs clnteÅptatecl by the foregoing resolutiolt b"l ancl they l'rereby are, approvecl, ratifiecl ancl confirmecl in all respects as fully as if such acfions had beln pr"rà.,tua to the Boarcl for its approval prior to such actions being taken ancl are effecüvå immecliately.
Each Director, by signing this consent, with notice of the hime, place and purpose of the speciai meeting of the Board of Directors, consents ancl agrees to the aforementio.ecl
actions t¿rken of such meeting- 'rhis w¡itten consent may be executecl in two or mor.e counterparts.
Dated: November 1, Z0l'I
Datecl: November'1, 20'1,1
Dated: November l, 20I'J,
Datecl: November l, 201'I
Dated: November 7, 201'l
Datecl: November'1, 20'I-l
Dated: November l, Z0'I'I
Thcsc are the voting mernbers tlte lloa¡cl of Di¡ector.s of the Htf Khurafeh shrine]'emple As.sociation havùrg tlre autlror.ity and rnajoriry to pass the s.ricl flIlSf)L.A.llON in accordance wirh g4S0.t52S of the Michigan 0,"*"., ò"rçerÏ,fr" n.,,
@ õt¿+'L Ct+¡z¿t
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

GL of Michigan Withdraws Recognition of

freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2011/11/gl-of-michiga...

Nov 26, 2011 ... (4) In my opinion this is all because Elf Khurafeh had a Circus in ... To Nick Singelis II - The potentate pled guilty and has been sentenced by the state of Michigan. ..... Mr. Craig Hatch gave a plea of guilty; that is the end ...

Freemasons For Dummies

Saturday, November 26, 2011

GL of Michigan Withdraws Recognition of Shrine

The Grand Master of Michigan, MW Frederick E. Kaiser, Jr., has withdrawn official recognition of the Shrine there, and it has been declared clandestine and illegal. Michigan Masons may not attend tyled Shrine meetings in that state.

The problem stems from a Mason who was expelled by the Grand Master in July allegedly for pleading guilty to a crime punishable by incarceration of one or more years, and per Michigan's Masonic rules. Unfortunately, the Elf Khurafeh Shrine and the Imperial Shrine (Shriners International) in Tampa didn't agree and kept the suspended Mason as a full member of the Shrine. A slight complication: he's the current Potentate. He had pled guilty to possessing and operating gambling devices, and probably won't be sentenced until February. However, since he did plead guilty, the GM expelled him. The Shrine did not.

So.

From the GM's letter of November 23rd:

The expelled Mason, by action of Elf Khurafeh Shrine, headquartered in Saginaw, Michigan continues to be a member and Potentate of that Shrine. Elf Khurafeh’s action to retain him was subsequently upheld by the Imperial Potentate. This situation exists despite the reputed requirement that a member of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine (Shriner’s International) must also be a Mason in good standing.

Discussion was initiated with the Imperial Potentate, and counsel for the Imperial Shrine. The Grand Lodge of Michigan explained its position, and requested that the Imperial Potentate reconsider his decision, given information previously unavailable to him. Unfortunately for all concerned and with heavy heart, I must state that no modification of
his position, nor of Elf Khurafeh Shrine’s, has occurred.

Elf Khurafeh Shrine and the Imperial Potentate have failed to adhere to their own Shrine law, by retaining a non-Mason in their ranks. They have also failed to honor their obligations under Michigan Masonic Law. Therefore, acting under §3.10.2.2 of Michigan Masonic Law, the Grand Lodge of Michigan hereby withdraws formal recognition of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (Shriner’s International) as a Masonic organization in the State of Michigan. The relevant sections of Michigan Masonic Law are as follows:

§3.8.2: Any and all organizations, associations, or persons within the State of Michigan, professing to have
any authority, power or privileges in Ancient Craft Masonry, not fraternally recognized by this Grand Lodge, are
declared to be clandestine and illegal, and all Masonic intercourse with any of them is prohibited.

§8.1.2.9: All Master Masons under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Michigan who hold membership in
Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine are forbidden to attend tiled Shrine meetings when there is in
attendance a suspended or expelled Mason.

It is therefore my order that no Mason who holds membership in a Michigan Lodge, or in a Lodge chartered by a recognized Grand Lodge who resides or sojourns in Michigan, may (1) attend any nonpublic function of any Shrine in Michigan or (2) have any Masonic interaction of any kind with any Shrine organization in Michigan. Furthermore, no Shrine function or activity will be afforded a special privilege not afforded any other unrelated organization that is allowed to use a building dedicated to Masonic purposes, or on the grounds of a building so dedicated.

Violation of these provisions by a Mason under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Michigan is punishable by charges of un-Masonic conduct.

Arguments with Grand Masters don't generally turn out well.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Prostitution, embezzlement allegations fly in lawsuits involving Clio-based Shriners organization
Print Mark Tower | mtower@mlive.com By Mark Tower | mtower@mlive.com The Saginaw News
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM, updated June 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM MLive.comFLINT, MI — A mid-Michigan fraternal organization associated with Shriners International finds itself at the center of a legal battle involving two lawsuits.

In a lawsuit filed June 11 in Genesee County Circuit Court by Nicholas Singelis II, the Clio-based Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple, along with 11 members —commonly known as Shriners — are accused of allowing illegal sexual activities to take place during an initiation ceremony held Nov. 3, 2012, at the organization’s Circus Park facility in Vienna Township.

Singelis is a former Shriner and former employee of Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple. According to his lawsuit, Singelis was fired in March after he reported the alleged incident to leaders of both Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple and Shriners International, the overarching arm of the more than 140-year-old fraternal organization best known for its pediatric hospitals and circuses.

The claim in the lawsuit is denied by several members and officers of the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple. A spokesperson for the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple declined to comment on the claims.

Singelis also is a defendant in a lawsuit filed March 10 in Saginaw County Circuit Court by Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple that alleges he was involved in embezzling money from the organization. Singelis denies the claim.

Shriners International, in a statement released June 11, noted the organization is aware of both lawsuits and is investigating the claims.

Singelis’ lawsuit

Read the lawsuit filed June 11 by Singelis here
Singelis, in his lawsuit, says he was terminated from his job as retaliation after he threatened to tell his story to “the appropriate governmental authorities.”

He also said in the lawsuit he was told by fellow members of the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple to “shut his mouth,” and that he felt threatened by members of the organization.

Singelis speech.JPG
IHe said in a letter included in the lawsuit that sources told him prostitutes were hired and had sex with members of the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple during a Nov. 3, 2012, event.

He said he did not directly witness any acts of prostitution by the organization or its members, but said other members, as well as non-members, told him that Circus Park, where Elf Khurafeh’s offices are located, was being used for “illegal sexual activity” during a Shriner initiation ceremony.

The lawsuit states this illegal activity involved members of The Royal Order of Jesters Court No. 74 and El Hajj Tassel No. 13, two subgroups chartered by Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple.

“I have received numerous complaints regarding these acts, from Nobles and non-members stating that not only is this unlawful; it is against Shrine Law,” Singelis says he wrote in a letter to former Elf Khurafeh Potentate Alan Basner, the organization’s leader. The letter is included in Singelis’ lawsuit.

Basner denies the claims made in Singelis’ lawsuit.

Other members also deny the claims.

“In my opinion, this is just his way of trying to make us look bad,” said Ronald Huston, an Elf Khurafeh member who is named in the lawsuit.

“It’s ridiculous. It sounds like sour grapes to me,” added Dick Bartlett, director of the Royal Order of Jesters Court No. 74, who is not named in Singelis’ lawsuit.

More Shriners respond to accusations

In a press release issued June 11 by Clio attorney Robert L. Swartwood, general counsel to Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple, Swartwood states that none of the members named in Singelis' lawsuit have yet been served with notice of the lawsuit.

"As nobody has been served in that matter to date, Elf Khurafeh Shriners cannot comment on it or the nature of any legal matter pending before the courts at this time," Swartwood wrote.

Mark Tower | MLive.com Former Potentate and current Recorder Clarence W. Meyer Jr., who is named in Singelis’ lawsuit, declined to respond directly to the accusations, though he did say the organization intends to pursue a slander lawsuit against the former employee.

Another longtime Jester, Donald P. Link — also named as a defendant in Singelis’ lawsuit — denied knowledge of the alleged prostitution at Royal Order of Jesters meetings or events.

“I haven’t seen any of it,” Link said.

Huston, a past director of The Royal Order of Jesters Court No. 74, said he has been a Jester for about 15 years. He referenced a 2005 FBI case, in which it was determined prostitutes were taken across the border into Canada for a Royal Order of Jesters national convention.

Huston said that incident gave Jesters a bad name, and resulted in very strict policies against such behavior for members and Courts across the country.

"We've done everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen," he said. "We won't tolerate it."

State Rep. Charles Smiley, D-Burton, also is named as a defendant in Singelis’ lawsuit. He said he was never a member of the Jesters Court, but was at one time a member of El Hajj. He said he has no knowledge of the alleged prostitution and said he was not present at the Nov. 3, 2012, event at Circus Park.

Lawsuit against Singelis

The lawsuit filed in March 2013 by the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple alleges that Singelis and a former potentate of the organization, Craig Hatch together embezzled and mishandle temple funds.

The original complaint filed against Singelis by the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple
An amended complaint filed in May by attorneys for the Elf Khurafeh Shrine Temple
Singelis’ answer to the complaint, filed May 30
Hatch’s answer to the complaint, filed May 31
Singelis' alleged embezzlement, according to several current Elf Khurafeh members and leaders, was the reason his employment was terminated.

According to the lawsuit, Singelis and Hatch improperly handled hundreds of thousands of dollars in organization funds. The complaint claims Singelis used a debit card to spend thousands of dollars of Shrine funds on “products and services that appear to have no legitimate relationship to the (association’s) fraternal or charitable activities.”

Swartwood, in his press release, said Elf Khurafeh has an ongoing investigation into possible missing funds. Neither Singelis nor Hatch have been charged with any criminal wrongdoing in connection with those allegations.

"The nobility and leadership of Elf Khurafeh Shriners have identified some possible improprieties in our bookkeeping procedures resulting in the discovery of certain funds not being totally accounted for," he wrote. "Due to these circumstances, our leadership has directed complete auditing of all accounts and investigation of all matters pertaining to the security of these funds."

Saginaw County Prosecutor John McColgan said his office is investigating the embezzlement claims, but said the case might not remain with his office.

"It's so big," McColgan said. "I think we were looking at the Attorney General or even the U.S. District Attorney taking it."

Singelis’ attorney in the lawsuit filed against him in Saginaw County filed a “change of venue” motion in May, arguing that Saginaw County is not the appropriate jurisdiction for the lawsuit to be argued, a fact which is disputed by the organization’s attorney.

After a change of venue hearing on May 20, the matter was taken under advisement by Circuit Court Judge James T. Borchard. According to court records, 120 days have been afforded for discovery and a case evaluation is set to be scheduled after Oct. 6, 2013.

Singelis said he hopes, by exposing the wrongdoing he is alleging, to right any wrong he did by promoting the organization.

"I spoke for this organization for three years," he said.

Huston said he hopes the one thing that doesn't get lost in the legal battles yet to come is the good done by the organization and the philanthropic actions of many of its members.

"The majority of Shriners are dedicated individuals," he said. "We've got guys who have made hundreds of trips to Chicago taking kids to the hospital there."
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The First Amended Complaint breaks down the allegations in a more concise manner.

In the complaint the Elf Khurfeh states that Widow's Son Consulting LLC has an invalid indemnity and hold-harmless clause for "reasons neither fair nor reasonable to Plaintiff (Shrine) when allegedly entered into or when allegedly ratified "by the El Khurafeh Board of Directors. The complaint cites MCLA 450.2545.

The El Khurafeh asks the court to declare the 11-1-2011 Consulting Services Agreement null, void and no effect.

Conspiracy allegations:
On or before July 2, 2011, hatch and Singelis conspired and agreed to obtain consentof the El Khurafeh Executive Board, the "Divan", to liquidate and reinvest the investment accounts in Merrill lynch.

The Divan voted to exclude 2 endowment accounts,Wipel and Loehr, from liquidation. Hatch and Singlis liquidated all of the Merrill lynch accounts.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Hatch and Singelis invested the liquidated funds into a Citizens Bank Investment savings Account and then co-mingled the Temple Association funds, Wipel and Loehr Endowment Funds and the funds dedicated to the transportation of crippled children to Shrine Hospitals.

The Fund was set up so that Hatch, Singelis, and Alan Basner could withdraw funds without the approval of other Shrine officers.

Singelis was not on the Board of Directors nor was he a Treasurer of the El Khurafeh and therefore he was unlawfully a signer on the Citizen's account.

Singelis, alone or with hatch, withdrew $570,000 fom the account to open a new account, the El Khurafeh Shrine Center, with Wells Fargo with advisors Joseph R. Hamo and Joseph M. Hamo

Singelis had complete control between August 15,2011and December 31, 2012. Singelis transferred over $204,000 to his consulting company, Widow's Son Consulting LLC, and $5,000 to himself.

The complaint urther alleges Sigelis received a Wells Fargo Visa debit/check card that was drawn on the Shrine account. The Plaintiffs allege Singelis spent thousands on products and services that appeared to have no legitimate relationship to the Shrine's fraternal or charitable services.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Hatch was hired as a promoter of the El Khurfeh Shrine's Michigan circuses in Saginaw, Lansing and Flint. In this capacity Hatch was to receive a substantial portion of the revenues generated by the circuses.

The lawsuit alleges that in March 2012 Hatch conspired to give Singelis exclusive control over all or a significant portion of the proceeds from the 2012 Shriner's circuses in Saginaw, Flint and Lansing.

Hatch gave Singelis the sum of $224,718.61. Singelis then opened a second account in Wells Fargo (El Khurafeh Shrine Circus) in March 201 and deposited the funds in the new account. Singelis was not legally authorized to open this account.

Between April 1, 2012 and October 31,2012, Singelis paid to Widow"Son Consulting LLC the sum of $124,880 and $2,000 to himself. Using a second Visa debit/credit card Singelis allegedly again spent thousands on services and purchases seemingly unrelated to Shrine business.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:18 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On or prior to 11-1-2011, the complaint alleges Hatch and Singelis obtained the consent of the Divan to execute a Consulting Services Agreement, without:

1) giving the Divan copies of the agreemen;
2) reviewing the contents of the agreement with the Temple attorney;
3) placing the document in the records of the Temple.

There was $462.359.84 remaining in the Citizens bank Investment Account after all transfers. Singelis then paid Widow's Son Consulting LLC $279,036.

The complaint states Hatch and his company, Over The Top Productions, were paid $19,700. Singelis then allegedly directed a wire transfer into a TD Ameritech account in his name,
Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Plaintiff, El Khurafeh, states that Hatch and Singelis failed to give them an accounting of the funds. The Plaintiff alleges that Hatch and Singelis converted the funds of the Shrine into their own use and with out the consent of the Shrine officials.

An agreement on December 10,2010 between the Divan and hatch made Craig hatch the Shrine Circus Executive director for the years, 2011, 2012 and 2013 for Saginaw, flint and Lansing. Hatch was in charge of the planning, marketing and promotion of the Shrine Circuses. He was required to give an accounting of the proceeds of the circuses, the operating costs and other expenses. He failed to give an accounting.

The Plaintiff is requesting damages 3 times the actual amount plus reasonable costs and attorney fees.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In his response Singelis states all withdrawals were made with the approval of the Executive Board in writing. Singelis alleges the El Khurfeh has "unclean hands", the legal action is in the improper venue and the Plaintiffs filed to mitigate any damages.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: