FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Medical records found in open Delphi West workers seeing red

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Delphi West workers are seeing red after confidential medical and employment records are found out in the open.

The records were unprotected for any curious eye to see.

Dawn Jones had more on how the records were discovered.

The records were initially found by a scavenger buying parts and materials from the demolition site of the Flint Delphi West Plant. The scavenger then turned the information over to a reporter from the Uncommon Sense newspaper.

There are hundreds of confidential medical and work records that a reporter was able to get his hands on.

The records were unveiled Friday morning during a press conference. Those whom the records belong to said they couldn't believe their personal information was in the hands of total strangers.

"How did they even find my medical records when I knew they were supposed have been shredded?" said Sandra Watson.

"When I was first called, you know, I was stunned," said Carolee Counterman. "Somebody is on the other end telling me they are looking at my social security number and they have my medical records. And I am, like, 'Who are you?'"

Many of the records containing the personal information of hundreds of employees were found in the rubble during the demolition of the historic plant.

"When a facility closes, by federal law, they are required to make sure these records are kept in confidential keepings," said Vern Burns.

Obviously this is not the case for Delphi West workers.

Many of the employees say this has made them concerned about identity theft. They also say they are seeking legal council.

We tried to contact the legal council for Delphi; they didn't return our call. But in a letter from the company to the Uncommon Sense paper, Delphi said they would file an injunction to get the records back

Full Story and Video:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/news/020405_NW_da_records.html
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: