FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Weaver files PPO against Woodson-Judge denies

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Beat

Flint beat is independent. Visit their Go fund me page to show our support of this independent site.

HomeFlint City HallFlint Mayor says she’s ‘fearful’ for her life
Flint Mayor says she’s ‘fearful’ for her life
March 22, 2017Flint Beat
FLINT, MI – Documents filed with the Genesee County Personal Protection office say Flint Mayor Karen Weaver fears for her life.

Weaver filed a PPO petition on March 21, 2017 against Flint resident Arthur Woodson who is leading recall efforts against her saying he has mental health issues and depression.

“I need a personal protection order because I have received threatening mail that I believe came for Arthur Woodson,” reads a March 21, 2017 statement filed with the county and signed by Weaver. “He says he loves me. When he gets close to me and says it in an overly affectionate manner. He tells me he ‘just wants to be close to me’ like others are.”

Weaver goes on to explain that Woodson has told her in front of witnesses that he has mental health issues and depression. She also claims that Woodson makes her feel uncomfortable and he is obsessed with her.

“As a licensed clinical psychologist, I know this can be very dangerous behavior, and this makes me very nervous and fearful for my life.”

The PPO petition, which was signed by Weaver on March 14, 2017, has been assigned to Genesee County Judge Joseph Farah. As of 8:15 a.m. on March 22, 2017 Farah had not signed off on the document that Weaver is hoping is expedited.

Woodson denies Weaver’s claims.

“If I’ve did these things why hasn’t the mayor filed a police report. I can’t even get close to her in that sense,” said Woodson. “How would I be able to get close enough to the mayor who typically has bodyguards at her side. I am considering getting a lawyer because her claims are false.”

Woodson filed recall language on Feb. 24, 2017 to remove Weaver from office over Flint’s controversial trash contract he says he believes she only filed the PPO petition because of the recall.

“That’s the only thing I can think of,” Woodson said. “I haven’t harassed her or made any threats to the mayor. I followed the process as a resident of Flint and filed recall language.”

Person Protection Order Petiton documents filed by Flint Mayor Karen Weaver by Flint Beat on Scribd

The Genesee County Election Commission approved Woodson’s recall language on March 8, 2017.

Weaver later filed documents on March 17, 2017 with the Genesee County Clerk’s office to appeal the Commission’s decision.

Under Michigan law she had 10 days to file the appeal.

Woodson’s approved language was the fourth attempt to remove Weaver. Another Flint resident, Alex Harris, had also submitted language twice to remove Weaver but the Genesee County Elections Commission did not approve his submissions.

Woodson initially submitted recall language on Jan. 23, 2017. On January 27 he withdrew that language saying he met with Weaver to address his concerns.

He submitted the Feb. 24 language after he said Weaver did not keep promises made at the meeting.

Weaver has not confirmed that she met with Woodson and FlintBeat.com could not reach the mayor or City Spokeswoman Kristin Moore for comment.

Woodson’s language filed with the Genesee County Clerk’s Office on Feb. 24 reads:

“Mayor Karen Weaver, on September 22, 2016 signed an emergency waste collection contract with Rizzo Environmental Service(s).”

The trash dispute lingered for months as Flint City Council members and Weaver’s administration fought over whom would haul Flint’s garbage.

In June 2016, Weaver’s administration asked the council to approve a $17.9 million con

Help Support Community Journalism
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online
tract with Rizzo Environmental Services but council members questioned the company’s integrity and later voted 8 to 1 to not support Weaver’s recommendation.
Flint City Councilman Eric Mays was the sole supporter of Weaver’s recommendation.

Ultimately, the council and Weaver’s team came to an agreement to continue using Republic Waste Services to haul Flint’s trash shortly after October 2016 reports that Rizzo was at the center of a federal corruption investigation.

While Weaver is appealing the decision, signature-collecting efforts are on hold but Woodson said his team is still organizing. He has to collect an estimated 5,800 signatures.

So far, there is no official date for Weaver’s appeal hearing but County Clerk officials said the issue will go before Genesee County 7th Circuit Court Judge Geoffrey Neithercut. If the language makes it through court, Woodson would have 60 days to collect signatures to put the issue on the 2017 Flint City Council ballot.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Judge denies Flint mayor's protection order against recall leader

Oona Goodin-Smith | ogoodins@mlive.com By Oona Goodin-Smith | ogoodins@mlive.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM, updated March 22, 2017 at 3:00 PM
Stay connected to MLive.com

FLINT, MI -- A judge has denied a request for a personal protection order from Flint Mayor Karen Weaver against the resident leading recall efforts against her.

Saying she "is fearful for [her] life," Weaver filed the petition for protection against Flint resident Arthur Woodson on Tuesday, March 21, in Genesee Circuit Court.

The petition was denied on Wednesday, March 22, by Judge Joseph J. Farah on the following reasons:

Insufficient allegations for immediate relief; allegations are unclear; more information is needed.
The court prefers to handle in an open court with both parties present.
The court is not persuaded that ex-parte relief is warranted. While Mayor Weaver may indeed have grounds for a PPO, that determination will be made after the court hears from both parties.

The petition included a four-paragraph letter from the mayor outlining her concerns with Woodson, who has been outspoken against Weaver and recently filed language to recall her.

"He says he loves me," it read. "When he gets close to me and says it in an overly affectionate manner. He tells me he 'just wants to be close to me' like others are."

Flint mayor appeals recall efforts over Rizzo trash-hauling

Flint mayor appeals recall efforts over Rizzo trash-hauling

According to court records, Mayor Karen Weaver paid $175 on Friday, March 17 to appeal the recall language over the city's controversial Rizzo trash issue. Genesee Circuit Judge Geoffrey Neithercut will oversee the case.

The letter asserted that Weaver believes Woodson "belongs to and/or supports the Michigan Militia" and that he "is always pulling things out of his pocket" during press conferences.

It also stated that Woodson, 49, has disclosed his mental health issues to Weaver in front of Flint Police Chief Tim Johnson and that he has "become very emotional" about his divorce.

"This makes me uncomfortable because he seems to be obsessed with me at one point and then behaves aggressively towards me at other times," the letter said. "As a licensed clinical psychologist, I know this can be very dangerous behavior, and this makes me very nervous and fearful for my life."

Woodson said he was "shocked" to read the allegations and that "it's completely made up."

Flint man threatened with legal action after claims about trash hauler

Flint man threatened with legal action after claims about trash hauler

A Flint man could face legal action over his public claims about a company seeking to nab a $17-million contract to haul the city's trash.

"If any of this were true, where's the police report? Where's the paper trail?" he said. "It's a political move. She did this in attempts to scare me and silence me, and they want to keep me out of city hall.

"She did this under her capacity as the mayor of Flint. That's an abuse of power."

City of Flint spokesperson Kristin Moore was not immediately available for comment on the petition or allegations.

Weaver's petition for personal protection also included photo copies of a handwritten postcard addressed to "Karen (Numb Nuts) Weaver" which calls the mayor "a black racist."

The postcard is signed "from a proud Marine Corps Korean War Veteran."

An attached note from the mayor said she received the postcard on Friday, March 17, and that it is "a threat to [Weaver] and every person of color in the Mayor's office."

The note stated that Flint police attempted to conduct an investigation on the sender's identification but were unsuccessful.

However, despite the Korean War beginning more than a decade before Woodson was born and the postcard having a return address from a person in Roseville, Weaver's note shows the mayor believes Woodson is behind the mailing because of her "refusal to interact with him" and that he "is a veteran and suffers from PTSD."

"Although I am unable to prove that he sent attached communication -- I am fearful for my life because of previous interactions with Mr. Woodson," the note concluded.

Woodson, who said he knows nothing about the postcard and was never contacted by police about it, said he plans to sue Weaver over the claims.

The petition requested that Woodson be prohibited from:

following Weaver or appearing within her sight
appearing at Weaver's workplace or residence
approaching or confronting Weaver in a public place or private property
entering onto or remaining on property owned, leased, or occupied by Weaver
sending mail to or calling Weaver
placing an object on or delivering an object to property owned, leased, or occupied by Weaver
threatening to kill or physically injure Weaver
purchasing or possessing a firearm
posting a message through the use of any medium of communication, including the internet or a computer or any other electronic medium.

According to Farah's order of refusal, Weaver may file a motion to be heard by the court on any Monday at 9:30 a.m. if she is able to provide additional information to support the legal qualifications for receiving a PPO.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A little bit of deja vu here. Flint Journal reporter Christopher Machniak wrote a piece on October 28, 2001 about expensive legal bills involving then Mayor Woodrow Stanley.

Channel 5 won $7,170 resulting from their legal fees when Stanley filed a PPO against WNEM reporter Jim Kiertzner and his camera man. (Stanley, TV station in a tiff: Cameraman, mayor headed for court-October 18, 1999) Stanley was also sued for trying to prohibit WNEM from attending his press conferences. The total cost to the city was $36,695.25.
Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

No records of investigation into Flint mayor's claims against recall leader

Flint resident Arthur Woodson, left, is seeking the recall of Flint Mayor Karen Weaver. Jake May | MLive.com
Jake May | jmay2@mlive.com
Print Email Oona Goodin-Smith | ogoodins@mlive.com By Oona Goodin-Smith | ogoodins@mlive.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM, updated April 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM
FLINT, MI -- Despite Flint Mayor Karen Weaver's claims that the leader of the recall against her caused her to fear for her life, the City of Flint has no record of a police investigation into the matter.

The City of Flint has no record that police investigated the claims Weaver presented to a judge in a petition for a personal protection order against resident and recall organizer Arthur Woodson.

According to information obtained Monday, April 24, by MLive-The Flint Journal through a Freedom of Information Act request denial from the City of Flint, no Flint police investigative records or police reports exist on Weaver's allegations against Woodson.

Woodson, who has denied the accusations, said he believes Weaver attempted to obtain the personal protection order against him as political payback for the recall.

Weaver, in her March 21 petition for the personal protection order, claimed Woodson, 49, disclosed his mental health issues to her in front of Flint Police Chief Tim Johnson, who Weaver appointed to his position, and that he has "become very emotional" about his divorce.

"This makes me uncomfortable because he seems to be obsessed with me at one point and then behaves aggressively towards me at other times," the letter said. "As a licensed clinical psychologist, I know this can be very dangerous behavior, and this makes me very nervous and fearful for my life."

A judge has denied a petition for a personal protection order from Flint Mayor Karen Weaver against the resident leading recall efforts against her.

She also alleged that Flint police attempted to conduct an investigation into the origin of a postcard she said she considered to be a threat.

"On March 17, 2017, I received a postcard via U.S. mail what [sic] I considered to be a threat to me and every person of color in the Mayor's office," according to Weaver's petition.

Weaver told the court she believed the postcard originated from Woodson, despite having a Roseville return address.

"The Flint Police Officers attempted to conduct an investigation on the sender's identification but were unsuccessful," Weaver wrote in the petition. "In my past conversations with Mr. Woodson he did in fact mention to me that he is a veteran and suffers from PTSD.

"The receipt of this postcard concerns me as I believe Mr. Woodson is behind the sending of this communication because of my refusal to interact with him. Although I am unable to prove that he sent the attached communication -- I am fearful for my life because of previous interactions with Mr. Woodson."

The petition was denied on March 22 by Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah. Weaver has not filed a motion seeking to challenge Farah's decision.

City spokesperson Kristin Moore, in an email to MLive-The Flint Journal, pointed to the wording of Weaver's court-filed letter, noting that it said police "attempted to conduct an investigation on the sender's identification but were unsuccessful," and not specifically that "Flint police are investigating Woodson."

Moore was not available for further comment on the matter.

Woodson, who initially said he was shocked to read the allegations Weaver made against him and that they were completely made up, said he believes the mayor sought the personal protection order against him as a means of quashing his recall efforts against her.

"She didn't have any grounds to stand on during the appeal, so she tried to use this to get rid of me," Woodson said. "She abused her power to use this tool for defenseless women as a political maneuver."

On Monday, April 24, Genesee Circuit Court Judge Geoffrey L. Neithercut upheld Woodson's recall petition language against Weaver. The Flint resident now needs to collect 5,750 signatures by early August in order for the recall to appear on the November ballot.
Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Man who called Flint’s mayor a ‘Black Racist’ says he doesn’t want any trouble
March 24, 2017Jiquanda Johnson 4 3341 Flint City Hall Latest News Local News Top Stories Arthur-Woodson Flint Flint-Police Flint-Recall Karen-Weaver Korean-War Marines Military Personal-Protection-Order Recall Us-Marine-Corp Veteran
Help Support Community Journalism
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online
ROSEVILLE, MI – The man behind a postcard sent to Mayor Karen Weaver says he only wrote it after he disagreed with comments he says she made about President Donald Trump.
“I was upset about it and when I hear someone being mean to someone else I have to do something about it,” said Edward “Eddie” Stocker.

Stocker sent a postcard to Weaver calling her a “Black Racist” “Karen (Numb Nuts) Weaver.” That postcard later became evidence in a personal protection order against a man trying to remove her from office.

“Racism is alive and Well Because of Black Racist Like You,” read the postcard postmarked March 7, 2017. “If You Have any Complaints – GET on Your Knees and Talk To THE Boss! Quit Your Complaining and Quit Your Whining.”

Weaver attached the postcard to a petition she filed on March 21, 2017 with the Genesee County Personal Protection office against Flint resident Arthur Woodson.

Woodson filed recall language against Weaver on Feb. 24, 2017 over Flint’s controversial trash dispute. His language was approved on March 8, 2017.

In a statement attached to the petition, Weaver said she believed the postcard came from Woodson and that Flint police investigated the issue but failed to find the person behind the postcard.

“On March 17, 2017 I received a postcard via US mail what I considered to be a threat to me and every person of color in the Mayor’s office,” wrote Weaver. “The Flint Police Officers attempted to conduct an investigation on the sender’s identification but were unsuccessful.”

Stocker, an 85-year-old Korean War Veteran living in Roseville, Mich., says he doesn’t know Woodson nor was he aware of recall efforts to remove Weaver from office.

“I don’t want the mayor recalled,” said Stocker. “Tell her that I don’t want to cause this guy any trouble. I don’t know him. I don’t want to back him up or anything.”

Weaver’s petition calls for a number of restrictions including Woodson being prohibited from appearing at Flint City Hall and having any contact with the mayor in person, electronically or by phone.

She has until 9:30 a.m. Monday, March 27, 2017 to filed a motion to be heard by the court.
Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: