FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Reggie Flynn: Politics of a Prophetic Pastor

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Reggie Flynn

The Politics of A Prophetic Pastor

I'm not a politician. I am a pastor. However, as a pastor, I am Biblically mandated, by nature of the divine call, to influence political and economic systems that effect and affect God's people. If the Bible is our point of reference, a God-called pastor possesses the freedom and courage to speak truth to power. Without fear of retribution or retaliation, the prophetic voice of the preacher is supposed to confront, challenge, and even warn those who wield power and authority over the most vulnerable and voiceless of our society.

A pastor is negligent if he issues a self-imposed gag order of silence upon himself. I can assure you Moses did not hesitate to be a voice of socio-economic and political change in Egypt. He was "political" when he confronted the powerful Egyptian government leader, Pharaoh, and demanded, "Let my people go!" His prophetic call for freedom and justice had political and economic ramifications for the Egyptian empire and the Hebrew slaves!

The Old Testament prophets were mandated by God not to endorse government officials or political candidates, but to have a spiritual, socio-economic and political impact on God's chosen people. They could not avoid their political reality or context. We too must understand that every generation has a political reality and context. In first century Rome, Jesus had to face the political reality and economic context of the powerful Roman Empire, who possessed vassalage control over the religious leaders. Yet, Jesus inevitably entered the "political" realm when He claimed to be the Son of Man (authority figure) in the presence of Roman curators and high priests. He was "political" when He mobilized a team of 12 men to follow Him. He was "political" when He entered the Temple and turned over the tables of the moneychangers. I suggest He toppled the economy in Jerusalem in less than 5 minutes! That's radically political. When Jesus entered the Syngogue and preached from Isaiah 61 to declare freedom to the captives and liberty to the oppressed that was political. When Jesus confronted the scribes, Pharisees, and Sanhedrin Council, I can assure you He was also confronting His political reality and contemporary context.

Many Church leaders devalue or dismiss altogether the fact that Jesus had to be "political." Thus us unfortunate because His purpose on earth was to be more than our Savior. He was also sent by His Father to empower His people - spiritually, economically and politically! Empowering God's people is political because politics is about how folk exercise their authority and organized control over a human community. Jesus was not only concerned about the souls of this human community, He was also concerned about its human needs. Perhaps this is why Jesus spent considerable time strengthening the weak, and speaking against those who abused their authority in the practice and distribution of power and resources within the poor communities He visited and perf ministry.

Our role as pastors must transcend the pulpit. Preaching is primary, but it is not exclusively our charge. Like Moses, the prophets, and Jesus Christ, who preceded us, our critical task is to courageously speak truth to power, especially to those who control our resources, economy, and tax dollars. In 2017, our political reality and economic context in Flint are State-appointed governing boards; excessively high water bills; unconsumable water; urban food deserts; high unemployment; and disinvestment in poor Black neighborhoods.

How can a pastor and God-fearing people in all good conscience not speak to these issues? It's our 21st century political reality and context! I must speak and work toward addressing these human-political issues, and if I stand the risk of being labeled too "political," then so be it.

Blessings,
Rev. Dr. Reginald G. Flynn
God's Servant
(Not a political candidate)
Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I find it amazing that Detroit Pastors can be so socially active but Pastor Flynn was openly criticized for his zeal at confronting our socio-economic ills.

The Reverend Dr Avery Aldridge and his wife worked diligently to promote education goals. I often heard parents tell me they were happy that their child thrived in their Foss Avenue education environment when they were failing in Flint schools.

When banks starting leaving the north end, Foss Avenue created a credit union. Dr Aldridge sent missionaries to Flint Housing projects and served on the Board of Flint Housing.

New Jerusalem fought drug addiction, but had difficulty with funding. The Concerned Pastors created FACED to help meet medical needs.

Pastor Shelton worked with health issues and wanted a facility t help those with HIV. He was not afraid to invite some of America's best Pastors in to speak and he always had a full house.

Many Pastors created programs to benefit the community. It seems sad that many of these institutions have floundered, despite the federal support of faith based initiatives.

Where were the Pastors when the Smith Village area residents received shabby treatment and substandard work at the hands of unqualified contractors? How about when there was substantial investigative reports on the illegal treatment of minority contractors in Smith Village?

We need active Pastors like Flynn and not pastors who are seeking to influence elections in the name of financial gain!
Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: