FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How the "Hottest Race" led to Flint's Crisis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jeff Wright and John Hightower chose to put billboards on abandoned buildings throughout the northside of Flint. Why haven't they chosen topaint those buildings? The voters cannot trust Wright, Hightower and any other person willing to sell us down the "drain".

Jeff Wright will do anything to get elected and receive a $100,000 plus salary and benefits at the expense of the NAACP fredom fighters and over burdened taxpayers!

What contributions has Jeff Wright made to the betterment of the northside of Flint or Genesee County at-large, in which I am a resident? Where is the documentation that Mr. Wright supported the NAACP or any other civil rights organization prior to this election? The NAACP is not for sale and never will be!
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I know little about the Drain Commissioner's office. But I do know, that the precious blood of men and women of all races ws shed for the cause of Freedom! I do know that to use the NAACP for personal gain is WRONG and not WRIGHT!

Those who allowed the Friends of Jeff Wright to make false promises and sells the Flint Branch of the NAACP for thirty pieces of silver or a membership is WRONG and no WRIGHT! How can any elected official or person of worth support Wright?

Beware of whom you lend your good name to. All you have is your name and your name is more precious than silver or gold. I encourage a "no" vote for Jeff Wright, who is the WRONG Choice as our Drain Commissioner. He cannot be trusted!
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Since he wants the northside support, why hasn't the "Friends of Wright", John Hightower and others demanded a northside headquarters? Wright does not even respect the black vote.

By the way, I'll debate Jeff Wright or any of the so-called "Friends of Jeff Wright" anytime or anyplace on the issue of the NAACP, the finest civil and human rights organization, anywhere!

Dated july 10, 2000
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Courier printed this letter on July 16, 2000 (page 6).

Sam Riddle came to Flint on occasion, sometimes with Mary Waters. On at least two visits Riddle was at the White Horse and told how he was invited to the home of John Hightower to discuss the Friends of Jeff Wright. Sam was often used as a political consultant and had his own company. Riddle demanded that Wright be pesent and he was. According to Riddle, he was offered a bag of cash to work the campaign in Flint. Riddle insisted he refused. Maybe he should have refused years later after the Rizzo scandal involving Wright when Wright was used by the FBI when they were doing their investigation into Detroit corruption, Riddle, Waters, and Mayor Kilpatrick.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Group backing Wright challenge to Hardin might have tripped up
Flint Journal Ron Fonger June 1, 2000 B-3

Genesee County Clerk Michael J. Carr was interviewed after his office received a complaint from Flint resident Linda C. Keller asking him to investigate the Friends of Jeff Wright. Her request asked him to determine if the committee properly registered as an independent committee and if the group had exceeded their financial limits. After speaking to representatives of the committee, Carr advised Keller to file a written complaint to the State. It is unknown if she did so.

I had already begun an independent look at the committee and was gathering my documentation. I did not trust Rob Coffman, head of the Elections Bureau. I had been asked to file a complaint for a Burton resident about the first election for Burton Council that Curtis participated in. Using the material given to me, I filed with the county. Coffman laughed when he bragged to me how he helped Curtis circumvent the law. Seems he was a Burton native and grew up with many of Burton's politically involved residents.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Fonger and Carr addressed many of the same issues I did in my complaint, however they lacked the Courier and Enquirer materials, as well as the other election related materials.

Fonger interviewed Hightower. "Hightower, a civil right's pioneer, said the committee has been effective"

"I got the cream of the crop of the community (supporting Wright)".

"If we broke a law, we broke a law and didn't know it...." Hightower said. "It's not that we intended to do anything wrong... They are all worried because we are going to win this election."
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The federal government built a case against Larry Noal White in the mid 80's, calling him the organizer and leader in a criminal enterprise conspiracy involving large amounts of cocaine. Somehow, White hid his resources and while his sister, Barbara Veasley was questioned, they were not located.

Under unsecured debts, White showed a person loan of $16,000 from John Hightower and a $40,000 personal loan from Veasley.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:53 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

New Questions swirl about Wright group
Ron Fonger Flint Journal 3-1-2001

Fonger interviewed Anne Corgan, then Secretary of State director of legal services and election laws, In the interview,Corgan told Fonger there were new questions regarding the Fiends of Jeff Wright and their financial support of Jeff Wright for Drain Commissioner. Corgan stated the department was continuing to investigate a written complaint and allegations that Wright used the group as a second campaign committee

Because of the written complaint, the group was required to show banking records and other financial documents. Fonger reported the group showed lte reports showing over $46,000 expended on behalf of Wright in addition to the $134,000 spent by Wright's campaign committee.

Wright continued to insist he had no control over the group. However, Fonger reported Wright and his wife gave the committee $5,150 and right's campaign committee gave the FJW an additional $4,000
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jim Kiertzner was an investigative reporter with WNEM TV 5 at the time. The late reports showed large numbers of contributors to FJW from outside of Genesee County.
Kiertzner's report was incredible as he went from one large contributor to another asking why they would contribute to Wright, when he was not in their County.

Person after person denied knowing Wright and stated they had not and would not contribute to a drain commissioner race in Genesee County. Corgan told Fonger the state was aware of the tape and had requested a copy. Neither Hightower or Douglas would respond to Fonger.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Issues cited by Anne Corgan reveal how hard it is to enforce election laws. The department with supervision over election laws apparently has little enforcement ability. Corgan told Fonger that state law subjects the committee's Treasurer to a $1,000 civil penalty for making a false report, the false report is not a crime. Calling the state law a "disclosure statute" that lacked the ability to enforce.

"The law gives the Secretary of State authority to look at bank records , including contributor's checks, but if the committee doesn't cooperate there's not much we can do" Corgan told fonger.

However, when the wrongdoing reaches the criminal level, the case can be referred to the local Prosecutor or the state Attorney general.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:00 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint voters flocked to Mr. Wright
Flint Journal Linda Angelo & Edwrd Ronders 8-10-2000 (B-1)

Wright beat Hardin in the city, even in many of the precincts Hardin won in in 1998. The theory put forward was that black voters were unhappy with Hardin for supporting Councilman Scott kincaid over Woodrow Stanley or state rep. Vera Rison in the 1999 Mayor's race.

Sewage spills contributed to Hardin's loss in the county. However, Wright even blamed Hardin for beach closures caused by large numbers of migratory ducks and geese.

What the article failed to consider was Wright's heavy campaign against a new water pipeline. Every county parade saw Wright hauling a huge water Pipe and his literature called a new pipeline Hardin's Pipe Dream. The cost then was estimated at $270 million, and originally was Anthony Ragnone's dream.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Years ago, I had the opportunity to review some of Ragnone's records and documents. What emerged was the recognition that the man was a true visionary who used that foresight to obtain grants that built much of the current infrastructure. Had his efforts to build a second sanitary sewer system in the western part of the county not failed due to opposition to expansion and growth, the contamination of water ways in Goodrich may not have occurred. The community did not even have enough sanitary sewer units to provide their new school with permits.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On June 27, 2001, Ann Corgan of the state compliance and rule s division mailed Leu'Rette Douglas, FJW Treasurer, a conciliation notice.
Corgan wrote this regarding a preliminary review of y complaint:
" This review indicates there may be reason to believe you violated section 33 (8) of the MCFA [MCL 169.233( 8)] by failing to file 2 or more campaign statements with the office of the Genesee County Clerk (the Clerk) which statements remained unfiled for more than 30 days.

A violation of section 33( 8) is a misdemeanor that may result in a fine of not more than $1,000, or imprisonment for not more than 90 days or both.

The State of Michigan gave the FJW a $250 fine. The Clerk had given the FJW a $4,000 fine over the late filings.

The agreement did not bar any further investigation into violations of the FJW.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

August 31, 2001
Thomas McCullough, Bureau of Legal Services
letter to Thomas P. Boyd, Assistant Attorney General

Puruant to our telephone conversation this mornng, enclosed is a copy of an August 23, 2001 letter from Genesee County Clerk Michael J. Carr to Leau'Rette Douglas.

The letter indicates that the Clerk has agreed to a payment schedule for the $4,000 in late filing fees owed by the Friends of Jeff Wright.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Despite knowing there was a complaint filed, the FJW continued to thumb their nose at state laws and continued to thumb their nose at state law up to the end of August 2000. An Addendum of the additional documents was sent to the Secretary of State.

On an August 20, 2000 edition of the CPSA Courier on page 1, John Hightower wrote an article in which he credits both the "Friends of Jeff Wright" and the "Concerned Pastors for Social Action" for Mr. Wright's win in the primary election.

"According to the State Corporations and Securities Division, the Concerned Pastors newspaper lost their corporate status in 1997 and they are not operating under a DBA. While Mr. Wright was allowed to address the Concerned Pastors and had a front page article detailing that meeting, Mr. Hardin was denied an equal opportunity.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:23 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: