FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Council says Mays is a threat to their safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

CLOSED DMO CASE REGISTER OF ACTIONS 11/30/16 PAGE 1
02-074246-CL JUDGE NEITHERCUT FILE 08/16/02 ADJ DT 04/12/04 CLOSE 04/12/04
GENESEE COUNTY SCAO:SEC C LINE 06

P 001 MAYS,ERIC,, VS D 001 UAW LOCAL 699,,
ATY:YEOTIS,DEAN T., ATY:KARGES,WILLIAM
P-41290 810-767-6100 P-57360 313-926-5216
DISPOSITION 04/12/04 DMO
SERVICE/ANS 08/20/02 ROS

D 002 COVEN,AL,
ATY:KARGES,WILLIAM
P-57360 313-926-5216
DISPOSITION 04/12/04 DMO
SERVICE/ANS 08/20/02 ROS

D 003 HINNS,BEN,
ATY:MARTIN,WALTER,J
P-23357 989-793-2525
DISPOSITION 02/24/04 DIS MAJ
SERVICE/ANS 09/09/02 ANS
Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Expect more lawsuits from Mays:

He sued his union and after going all the ways to Appeals court he won some money, which he was seen often in the White Horse drinking and playing Keno with his winnings.

He sued Juanita Forrest, Wendy's mother as well as the parents of Arneice Hooper.

He has had numerous lawsuits against the City, so I dont expect him to stop now.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The construction project at 1002 W. Pasadena
, a Sunoco Station, dollar store and restaurant created issues between Mays, Mayor Williamson and Bob Leonard. Mays had a contact with the owners, Assafs, to help them with the zoning changes for the additional properties acquired for the construction.

Williamson, was advised by his inspection crew, that the business was also building restaurant into the project without taking it through zoning. Also in order to have enough parking spaces, they had paved the parkway on Pasadena. A cease work order was implemented and the business was ordered to restore the parkway.

The contract, signed only by Mays, was leaked to Leonard who used it on his Comcast 17 Show. Mays was furious and launched a campaign against Leonard and a Mayor's aide. He had a PPO against him and fought it repeatedly. His tactic was an attempt to wear his opponent down.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mays and Tom Joubran of Genesee County had a close relationship. Tom Joubran had a contentious relationship with Leonard and had gone to the panel to block Leonard from getting his law license reinstated. He also had volatile relations with tv reporter Jim Kiertzner and Prosecutor Art Busch.

Joubran paid for a Comcast show for Mays to be aired after Leonard's show and the show was geared to attack Leonard and those around him. An employee of Joubran's came forward and informed Leonard that not only did Joubran pay for the show, he approved the format.

After Joubran sued Leonard and his producer he admitted paying for the show but denied approving the scripts. Mays was like a one trick pony and kept hammering the same issues over and over.

Joubran also admitted buying the house Mays lived in at 2524 Mackin Rd. and said he managed Mays money because Mays was not good at it. The house went through multiple sales after the homeowner died. Alonzo Goodman purchased the house raised the price and sold it to May's mother ho raised the price and sold it to Joubran. For years the house remained in the name of the previous dead owner.
Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

By 2007 and 2008 Joubran was suing Mays in Diatrict Court for nonpayment of rent and while there were judgements there was no eviction. There was a case that finally caught up with Mays. The District Court case entitled M J Kelley vs Eric Mays concluded that Mays must pay $5,000 by July 18, 2008 or the case will be reopened.

The case was reopened and garnishment initiated on 6-24-15. All District Court judges disqualified themselves and Judge Richard Ball was assigned. Mays lost his objections.

T
Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:00 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

At some point Mays began working for the Sunoco Station. On 12/02/2005 the wner reported a larceny report . The reporting officer was Terry Neeley but officers Thrower Mark and McGuire are also shown on the incident report.

Narrative:12/02/2005 04:35;30 Wilson, Holly narrative.....
let ex employee, qui inside the store she stole the till estimated at $1400-1700 fb in older veh..... no weapon used male went to back of store left female in front came back she and money were gone.

The male was Eric Mays.
Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Summary narrative 2005-00080595
Neeley stated he arrived and met with the owner Manal Assaf, and it was she who made the complaint.
Neeley spoke with the 3rd shift manager Eric Mays over the phone. Mays informed him that an ex employee ID'd only as 'Quie" had entered the store with another black female and asked to use the computer to check her e-mail. Mays allowed the 2 women to enter the secure area and Quie entered the rear room of the store towards the computer area. After approx. 3 minutes, "Quie" exited the room. Mays told Neeley he was hugging and speaking to the other female and did not realize "Quie"had entered the money drawer and took approx. $2,500.

Needless to say, Mays was no longer employed.
Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eric Mays got a favor from the County Clerks office when the legislature eliminated all PPO's records, even those from over 20 years ago. Now it seems they have eliminated 1986 TRO's. The State legislature did not go as far as the county alleges. Non-domestic PPO's do not necessarily endanger the plaintiff life.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:02 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michigan Legislature - Section 600.2911
legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-600-2911
For libel based on a radio or television broadcast, the retraction shall be made in ... this notice shall not be of itself proof of the malice charged in the complaint ... that the plaintiff in the action has previously recovered a judgment for damages in ...

(6) An action for libel or slander shall not be brought based upon a communication involving public officials or public figures unless the claim is sustained by clear and convincing proof that the defamatory falsehood was published with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of whether or not it was false.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sally Haywood
Yesterday at 7:32 AM ·
I was pleased to note that some local individuals recognized that Kavanaugh had been coaxed in how to have an alleged public meltdown that he could attribute to the sociological construct of "mobbing and psychological torture". And yet only a few are recognizing a classic case of "mobbing" is occurring now within our Flint City Council. Some council members are experiencing trauma that seems like the 2013 book title by Janice Harper (PHD) "Mobbed What to do when they really are out to get you."
Workplace mobbing and psychological abuse is recognized worldwide as a form of violence. As the Mobbing Canada publication points out "Torture is torture no matter where it occurs.
For nearly a year two female councilwomen have been subjected to a barrage of bullying, insults, yelling,explosive anger and more by fellow councilman Eric Mays. I understand this behavior may be even occurring outside the council room.
I view Mays as a master at putting on an act to portray himself as a victim after an aggressive display of intimidation and threats of recall or forfeiture to get rid of these women. Mays says it is because he can't take another three years of these women.
I remember one instance in which Mays was told he was making comments that were not germane to the topic at hand and his retort was that it was germane to him because somehow these women had maligned him.
Some of the other council members and even their leadership act as though they were co-abusers with their silent acceptance of this psychological abuse especially when they join in the abuse. They allow these women and the wards they represent to be marginalized and portrayed as an insignificant voice in the development of policies for the city.
The council needs to remember they took an oath to faithfully discharge the duties of their office. The goal is not political gamesmanship but the benefit of the citizens they represent..
Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

City Council Beat: mutual condemnations, calls for civility dominate September meetings
Home»Local News»City Council Beat: mutual condemnations, calls for civility dominate September meetings
Posted on Sep 30, 2018

By Meghan Christian

“All I’m gonna say is: get the word out. When you hear me say I want to change the complexion of this council, and people say is it a threat, no. It’s factually what I’m going to do,” First Ward Councilperson Eric Mays said during his final comments at the Sept. 24 Flint City Council (FCC) meeting.

First Ward Councilperson Eric Mays (Flint City Council photo)

“If I have to go in two wards and find people in that ward and help them circulate petitions to get the number to change the complexity of the recall ballot…and right now I’m targeting the Fourth Ward and the Ninth Ward…that’s what I’m going to do,” he added.

The Fourth Ward is represented by Councilperson Kate Fields; the Ninth by Councilperson Eva Worthing.

“They can come in my ward if they want, but I’m going to come in theirs and work with people under the law, because I’m not going to go through this mess for three more years,” Mays said, referring to building tensions that have progressively increased among FCC members. Tensions appeared to first come to a head at the Sept. 10 FCC meeting, where both Fields and Worthing spoke out against what they said was unfair treatment they were receiving, specifically from Mays.

“Mr. Mays wants to attack certain council people…in the discussion he is attacking people…,” Fields said at the Sept. 10 meeting before she was interrupted by Sixth Ward Councilperson and Council President Herb Winfrey.

“It’s not equal treatment to let Mr. Mays say whatever he wants and attacks members…and then Ms. Fields is addressing it and you tell her to move on,” Worthing said at the Sept. 10 meeting in defense of Fields.

Ninth Ward Councilperson Eva Worthing (Flint City Council photo)

Fields and Eighth Ward Councilperson Allan Griggs were absent from the Sept. 24 meeting. While present for most of the meeting, Worthing had left by the time of final council comments.

Some residents also spoke out against the recent behavior of council members, citing name calling, personal attacks, and lack of civility as main issues. Ethics and Accountability Board Interim Vice President Allen Gilbert took it upon himself to deliver a lesson on civility to the council during his public speaking opportunity, quoting the Ethics Handbook for Michigan Municipalities:

“‘Civility can help set the tone for demonstrating fair and just treatment in hearings and investigations. However impossible it might be to mandate, civility might be inspired by conscentious attention to the trappings of the meeting of a public body…or the conscious example of members of the public body itself’,” Gilbert read.

“I hope that, as Council, we can restore civility. It is a very difficult environment to work in when it’s hostile, when there’s name calling,” Worthing said at the Sept. 24 meeting.

“When you look at how much anguish and struggling…that our citizens are going through, and what they have gone through, they have a right to expect more out of us when we come to do city business here,” Council President Winfrey said at the Sept. 24 meeting. Addressing his colleagues, he added, “I want you all to do better. Your citizens that elected you deserve better.”

Second Ward Councilperson Maurice Davis (Flint City Council photo)

It is not just between council members where tempers have been flaring. Resident and community activist Quincy Murphy addressed Second Ward Councilperson Maurice Davis at both the Sept. 10 and Sept. 24 FCC meetings regarding recent comments made about Murphy by Davis. The comments range from Davis referring to Murphy as a “fake activist” to downplaying Murphy’s work in the community.Qu

“I feel that Mr. Davis is coming at me…and at times, at his colleagues,” Murphy said. “Not one time have I ever came to this podium and personally attacked anyone…I’m asking for the same respect,” he added.

However, during the FCC meeting on Sept. 24, Davis publicly apologized to Murphy for his behavior in previous meetings. “I’d like to say to Mr. Murphy, I’m going to sit up here and apologize publicly…because one thing I am not is perfect,” Davis said. “So we just leave our differences aside because there’s too much business that needs to be handled,” he added.

“I would just like to say that I think it’s really gentlemanly of Mr. Davis to apologize for those comments,” Worthing said.

However difficult relationships among council members have been, FCC still has managed to take care of some city business.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:42 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sally Haywood
14 mins ·
So Mays is threatening 2 recalls and lawsuits.
He had better remember that he is a public figure and probably was even before he ran for office because he inserted himself into so many political situations. My understanding is that if he sues, he has the burden of proof that the comments were false, reckless and not opinion. Also that they were not made with malice.
A recall is an election, so Mays must file campaign reports. There will be expenditures as in the past his company Mays and Goodman paid the signature collectors. Historically most wards have objected to council from other wards interfering in their wards. Challenges are already being made.
The past will certainly be dredged up about the police investigation showing his company registered 6 dead people and the Clerk's office rejecting hundreds of absentee ballot requests over signatures and other reasons.
Also will complaints and other legal actions be raised and who will pay to defend them? Trachelle Young, City Attorney under Williamson, had the foresight to warn council in writing that they were allowing situations with Mays that could potentially cause legal problems. The current City Attorney was then an Assistant City Attorney so why is she so silent on the issue of threats in City Council. Also she was the lead in the prosecution of Mays for disturbing the peace which the jury ruled unanimously for conviction.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:13 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: