FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Busch vs the FBI: The Dan Parks case and more
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In closing, I called the Detroit Office of the FBI several weeks ago, provided detailed information on this matter to a manager and asked to be contacted by the supervisor in charge of the Flint office. To date,I have not heard from anyone from the Detroit FBI Office. I hope that your office will take action to look into this matter and see that corrective action is taken if necessary. i would make my staff and criminal investigative files available to you should You determine that an investigation is warranted.

CC:
Robert Ianni, Chief Criminal Div., State of MI, Office of Attorney General
John Bell, Sr. Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Detroit Office
Jeffrey Collins, United States District Attorney-Eastern Division
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Prosecutor must have been extremely angry to pen this 6 page diatribe. Nothing good can come from two government entities who can't play nice together.

The flip side:

May 3, 2002 letter from William J Kowalski, Supervisory Resident Agent to Arthur Busch

The purpose of this communication is to express my concerns regarding the ongoing investigation by the Flint police Department (FPD) of one Daniel Parks. Recently, Special Agents (SAs) assigned to my office have been contacted by Jerry Dickenson, Investigator, Genesee County Prosecutor's Office, and requested to submit to additional interviews. Perhaps a brief recitation of the background of this matter is in order.

During a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) surveillance of a subject in an interstate kidnapping matter, parks, armed with shotgun, approached an FBI Special Agent (SA). FPD personnel responded to the incident and it is my understanding Parks has been charged with felonious assault.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Shortly after this incident, you telephonically contacted me and advised me of your office's relationship with Mr. Parks. You indicated Mr. Parks had provided valuable assistance to your office over a number of years, and regarding a number of investigations. Mr. Parks had even served process in the current investigation concerning a number of FPD officers. During this conversation you also asked my opinion on potential prosecution strategies regarding Mr. parks. As you may recall, I indicated the FBI was not the investigative agency primarily responsible in this matter and I had deferred investigation to the FPD. I expressed y opinion about the egregiousness of Mr. Parks' action, but concurred in your assessment hat any decisions in this regard should be made by the investigative agency,the FPD, in close coordination with the appropriate prosecuting attorney. I specifically recall a discussion, which you initiated, indicating you and your office would most likely have to rfer prosecution of this matter to another county prosecutor, should there remain a failure to resolve it early on. Your reluctance to become involved in the prosecution of an individual with whom you and your office have had such a close relationship clearly, and i believe corretly, based on your desire to avoid any appearance of impropriety.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Subsequent to our conversation, I have been contacted by a number of individuals, who have spoken highly of Mr. Parks. Some of these conversations were clearly initiated under the misconceptions that the Flint Office of the FBI hold some sway over the investigation and/or prosecution of Mr. parks. It has consistently been my assertion the FBI SA involved in this matter is a victim, and responding SAs at the incident were witnesses to a crime. When contacted by individuals speaking on behalf of Mr. parks, I have referred them to the FPD and to your office.

My office has provided information to Detective Al Barron of the FPD, and will continue to provide him with any assistance required. Based upon your previously expressed concerns regarding possible recusal by your office, I remain uncomfortable with SAs of the Flint FBI Office, who consist of the victim, and witnesses to the alleged crime, being interviewed by Mr. Dickenson, Mr. Parks close associate, until a decision regarding prosecution venue is affirmatively reached.
I will retrn to my office in Flnt on Monday, May 13, 2002, should you wish to discuss this matter further.

CC: Chief Brad Barksdale and Detective Al Barron of the FPD
Assistant US Attorney Robert Haviland, Flint & Assistant US. Attorney Lynnn Helland, Detroit
William Richard, Assistant Attorney General
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

After reviewing the FPD documents, A different story is presented. The arrest narrative was signed by Thomas Korabik who interviewed Parks with Ofc. Dye present, Parks told the officers he got out of the van and pointed the gun at the woman because he thought he was performing a citizen;s arrest for felony burglary. He said after she identified herself, he lowered the gun and apologized.

"Parks stated the agents unloaded his gun, gave it back to him and told him to leave because they were on surveillance. Then the police arrived and placed him into custody. Dated 3/27/2002

Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In his report, Third Shift Commander Terry Speedy responded to a request from Officer Dye to respond to Court and Pershing because the suspect advised Dye he knew Speedy. (No mention of Lein) Harmon told Speedy that she tried to back up when Parks approached. She yelled FBI and Skripnik told Parks to put the gun away. Harmon told speedy she did not want to press charges. The report said Parks was detained and fellow agents disarmed him.

The report quotes S/A Kowalski as saying the gun was pointed at Harmon's car but with the barrel lowered. In the report Kowalski stated he unloaded the shotgun and Speedy said he was given four rounds.

Speedy's report on his conversation with Skripnik states Parks got out of the car and pointed the gun at Harmon. The report continued that Skripnik was yelling at Parks to put the gun away when the FBI came and took the shotgun away. The weapon was given to Ofc. Dye.

Dated 6/27/2002 3 months after the incident RC Status date
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In the report, Speedy elaborates that Parks claimed to know him but that he denied ever meeting him. Speedy also claims Parks told him to call Capt. Hagler, Lt Matherly, Stimac or Vickery and they would tell him (Speedy) to let him go because he has "a lot of friends in high places".

Speedy also added that the surveillance captured their suspect after a car and foot chase as their arrest ended.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

S/A Harmon's FBI report is dated 3/29/2002. She states that Parks aimed the shotgun at her but she does not mention it being racked. She states that Kowalski took the shotgun and removed 4 live rounds. However we have SA Hughes removing the 5th round and Kowalski placing it inside the van.

Harmon reported SA Hughes determined Parks had been drinking, SA Harmon then asked for a Lt. after the Flint Police officers arrived as she believed an arrest was eminent. Speedy did effect an arrest and the area was cleared.

File # 7A-DL-93340
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Report of SA Robert E. Hughes dictated 4/8/2002

He arrived to assist Harmon as kowalski was approaching Parks. He also stated SSRA Kowalski ejected 4 shells from the shotgun and placed the shotgun beside the van. SA Hughes' report said he retrieved the shotgun and ejected the 5th live round and SSRA Kowalski placed the shotgun i the van.

Hughes continued that it was apparent to the officers hat Parks had been drinking. He then flagged down a Flint Police Cruiser that was at the intersection. SA Hughes reported he asked for a Lt and Lt Speedy arrived and Hughes explained the situation to him. Parks was arrested. SA Hughes said SA Harmon left to speak with Speedy.

(no explanation of what happened to the 5th live round.)

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Report of SSRA Kowalski dated 3/30/2002

SSRA Kowalski describes the surveillance of 919 Pershing with a total of 4 agents. He described how he approached parks, retrieved the weapon and ejected 4 live rounds. The gun was then placed against the van.

Believing Parks to be intoxicated, he asked Parks to open the van door and he put the shotgun inside. SA Hughes made the weapon secure by ejecting the 5th round from the chamber

When Speedy arrived SSRA Kowalski left the scene to discuss the complaint and continue surveillance.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:27 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

So what really happened.

Was the FBI going to let him go so they could continue their surveillance?

The reports I have are not boilerplate and they differ enough that they probably were not coordinated. What happened to the 5th round?

Why is Speedy the only one that mentions "racking the shotgun" (through comments allegedly made by Ofc Dye) And why did no one else bring up the "friends in high places" statements allegedly made by Parks.

Did it take Speedy 3 months to write his narrative?

Did Busch push because Parks was a friend or was it really just a BS case?

Truthfully, I don't see the incident worth 4 years in prison when when others get probation for worse. Would a jury have convicted or would they have sympathized with Skrepnik, who was afraid of burglary and in need of assistance?
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On June 18th, 2002 Busch wrote to Attorney Michael Krewlwitz and asked Krewlwitz to draft a Written Stipulation and Order of Dismissal of parks case.

The incident had to create a hostile relationship between the two agencies and put the FPD in the middle.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:43 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: