FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Woodson and Kincaid against Concerned Pastors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Concerned Pastors for Social Action
February 5 ·
This is the ONLY time we are responding to this rhetoric that is on social media concerning our organization. For two years the Concerned Pastors for Social Action have been working on the water crisis. We will continue to do so! Our message to city, state and national officials has been and still is, the citizens of Flint must be made completely whole! Our efforts are pure and made in the best interest of those we serve. We wish to salute and celebrate the efforts of everyone and every organization that is hard at work as well. The Coalition for Clean Water is one of those organizations. Let's remain encouraged and remember God is on our side! There will be glitches, however don't get frustrated. Lovingly make the necessary adaptation as our struggle continues. For example, our 501c3 was inadvertently allowed to expire. After the error was acknowledged it was rectified without any finger pointing within the group. It simply called for a re-filing of the document, and payment of the required fee. We await notification of its reinstatement. It's all good! Finally, as an independent ecumenical group of pastors we are not controlled by anyone and speak to issues of our own accord as directed by the Holy Spirit. This is a liberty we cherish and will not abuse. With that said we don't have to make concessions to the political system for fear of not being re-elected or losing a position. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." (Martin Luther King) . Love to all. President Al Harris
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Well spoken Pastor harris.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Journal had to correct their false story! But how can the Journal undo all of the racist comments on their site that the original story generated?

Flint pastors ask for public apology after council tries to teach mayor a lesson

Reginald Flynn speaks as the Concerned Pastors for Social Action demand for a public apology from Flint City Councilman Scott Kincaid for referring to Mayor Karen Weaver as "a child" and tabling city business, as they speak on Monday, Oct. 3, 2016 at a press conference at City Hall in Flint. Jake May | MLive.com
Jake May | jmay2@mlive.com
Print Email Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com By Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on October 03, 2016 at 4:51 PM, updated October 04, 2016 at 7:15 AM

Update: This story has been corrected to reflect that The Concerned Pastors for Social Action is not seeking a recall of Flint City Councilman Scott Kincaid.

FLINT, MI – A group of local pastors are asking fora public apology from Flint City Councilman Scott Kincaid for saying Mayor Karen Weaver needs to be taught a lesson.

The Concerned Pastors for Social Action held a press conference Monday, Oct. 3, at Flint City Hall demanding Kincaid apologize for comments made during last week's 5-3 vote to table three agenda items from Weaver's office.

The pastors, including some who have politically and financially backed Weaver throughout her campaign, say if Kincaid does not apologize they will seek further action but did not disclose wseek recall efforts if their demand isn't met.

Kincaid, who made the motion to table the items, said the move was made to "teach" Weaver a lesson about how government is run.

"We cannot stand and allow council people to take personal jabs at the mayor," said Pastor Allen Overton, "We will not sit idle and allow this administration and this mayor to be disrespected. By any means necessary we will move forward to bring Flint back together."

The Concerned Pastors, including some who have politically and financially backed Weaver throughout her campaign were referring to comments made about Weaver during the Sept. 26 meeting where Kincaid used the word "child" when referring to teaching the mayor a lesson.

"She's one individual that's been elected by this community ... but on this waste collection contract and other issues, Weaver seems to think like she's an emergency manager," Kincaid said during the meeting. "The only way to teach her how government works is to show her. ... It's like a young child – if you don't correct them the first time they will continue to do what they are doing and it will continue to get worse."

Flint City Council and Weaver's office have been at odds since June over the city's controversial trash contract. The issue has now been taken to both the Genesee Circuit Court and the Michigan Court of Appeals.

"Right now, we are asking Mr. Kincaid to take back what he said and apologize to the mayor," Overton said. "If he does not do that we will come together and make our next move."

Kincaid, who was in a meeting at the time of the press conference with Weaver's administration, other council members and an arbitrator regarding the trash dispute at the Genesee Circuit Court building could not be reached for comment.

Kincaid is spearheading a lawsuit initially filed in August over the city's controversial trash contract. He and seven other members are involved in the lawsuit. Eric Mays is the only council member in opposition to the lawsuit and Kincaid.

Weaver's office maintains that the city switching to Rizzo Environmental Services would save $2 million for residents over a five-year period, but council members against hiring the company say they are questioning Rizzo's integrity and the company's connections to Canada and former Mayor Woodrow Stanley.

Stanley serves as consultant for Rizzo.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Now we know why Bill Payer came on on this thread! Haters ar going to hate, and you can't change that mindset!

Bill Payer 3 hours ago
The only racism here is from the pastors. To conclude that a completely benign statement is racist means you're looking to make it into a racist issue. They are playing the race game and it's wrong

Bill Payer 3 hours ago
She was acting like a child and needs to be put in her place. It's not racial. She was told no and tried doing childish things in response... like saying there wasn't going to be trash service until she got her way.

Bill Payer 3 hours ago
But is this their plan? To further manipulate and divide our population by making this about race? Horrible move pastors.

GuyFawkes1 2 hours ago
@Bill Payer Yes Bill you are on to something. Could this be a stepchild of the same mentality that chooses to ignore authority especially if it looks different than you and instead pushes the limits of civility and safe compliance by talking or fighting back? Better yet getting out their cell phone so that they can record everything on video whenever they are questioned by police? Who thinks this way? If I have someone pointing a gun at me, police or otherwise, the last thing my instinctive reaction would be is to start recording them on my cell phone!
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:18 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Wonder if Guy Fawlkes could be discussing Council woman Kate fields? She can be seen on Comcast pulling her phone out to record events in City Council meetings!
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:21 pm 
BillPayer
F L I N T O I D

Why did I come on this thread? Please inform me.

The real reason is you have a wealth of information I had no idea about. I completely stand behind my statements, there was no racism intended by Kincaid, suggesting otherwise is irresponsible. He has represented the community for much longer than an election cycle. We know his true colors and racism is not involved.

Since I don't believe the racism story and I don't think they do either, then I leads to other possible motives for ensuring the council knows they have power and are behind the mayor. I can't speak to exactly what that would be, but those questions are definitely raised by this.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:44 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

At one time Scott Kincaid and his wife were attending Foss Avenue Church. You indicate that you have a good relationship with your African American neighbors.

Respect is a key value among most African Americans. Kincaid disrespected an African American female leader.

I was not worried early on election night when Walling was ahead. I went to sleep because historically the North end polls come in late. Sure enough the North end carried her to victory. An indication of the racial divide in Flint. You seemed critical of her support for the North end, but that is her constituency that gave her their support. Disrespecting her in the manner that Kincaid did is a slap in the face of those voters who supported her.

Another point of contention is the money diverted to downtown. With taxpayers paying extra money for services once supported by federal CDBG funds and the Land Bank, will this federal money be diverted to downtown? After all the master plan will not touch the North end for 20 to 30 years.

I was downtown recently and I did not see the $80 million plus invested there. There appeared to be many vacancies and the former Dollar Store building had mold growing in the windows. The expensive brick street renovation is already shifting exposing holes around drains and giving one a buggy ride experience.

Kincaid did not display civility, but then again he has not done so for years. He is displaying the same derogatory nature he criticized Williamson for. Council rules state the public shall not defame public officials. That rule obviously does not apply to council members who think they can defame anyone and call it hyperbole.

Some interpret disrespect as a form of racism. Look at any discrimination lawsuit and you will notice derogatory remarks as part of the allegations. A firefighter received a judgement against a former Flint Fire Chief who constantly referred to him as "chief" as a derogatory reference to his Native American heritage.

You are discrediting the power of words.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:18 pm 
BillPayer
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
At one time Scott Kincaid and his wife were attending Foss Avenue Church. You indicate that you have a good relationship with your African American neighbors.

Respect is a key value among most African Americans. Kincaid disrespected an African American female leader.

I was not worried early on election night when Walling was ahead. I went to sleep because historically the North end polls come in late. Sure enough the North end carried her to victory. An indication of the racial divide in Flint. You seemed critical of her support for the North end, but that is her constituency that gave her their support. Disrespecting her in the manner that Kincaid did is a slap in the face of those voters who supported her.

Another point of contention is the money diverted to downtown. With taxpayers paying extra money for services once supported by federal CDBG funds and the Land Bank, will this federal money be diverted to downtown? After all the master plan will not touch the North end for 20 to 30 years.

I was downtown recently and I did not see the $80 million plus invested there. There appeared to be many vacancies and the former Dollar Store building had mold growing in the windows. The expensive brick street renovation is already shifting exposing holes around drains and giving one a buggy ride experience.

Kincaid did not display civility, but then again he has not done so for years. He is displaying the same derogatory nature he criticized Williamson for. Council rules state the public shall not defame public officials. That rule obviously does not apply to council members who think they can defame anyone and call it hyperbole.

Some interpret disrespect as a form of racism. Look at any discrimination lawsuit and you will notice derogatory remarks as part of the allegations. A firefighter received a judgement against a former Flint Fire Chief who constantly referred to him as "chief" as a derogatory reference to his Native American heritage.

You are discrediting the power of words.

Here's what I don't get. What historical references from the days of slavery directly connect to black females acting childish? Calling someone honey or chief have a more direct connection to discrimination over derogatory wording than calling the mayor childish.

Disrespectful? Sure it was. But this has come after months of both sides disregarding the other. If these statements were said at another time i don't believe the pastors would have spoken out. I suppose that is the critical part for me. Also, was she offended? Why are people speaking on her behalf?

Anyway, great info on here.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:40 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Myth of the Black Church | Religion & Politics
religionandpolitics.org/2012/06/07/the-myth-of-the-black-church/
Jun 7, 2012 - The civil rights movement entered our home through the televised images of black churches opening their doors for political rallies and the ...

"The Black Church," a brief history | African American Registry
www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/black-church-brief-history
In African-American history, "the church" has long been at the center of Black .... As Black Churches became the epicenter of the social and political struggles for ...

The Black Church and Political Inclusion | The New West
https://thewpsa.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/the-black-church-and-political-inclusion/
Jul 9, 2015 - Especially prominent in the coverage of the incidents is the historical significance of Black churches as a symbol of political freedom.

Politics in the Pews - The University of Michigan Press
https://www.press.umich.edu/322916/politics_in_the_pews
As Eric McDaniel demonstrates in his study of Black congregations in the U.S., a church's activism results from complex negotiations between the pastor and the ...
Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From the Black Church and Political Inclusion:

By being the center of Black spiritual, social and political life, the Black church also became central in shaping Black political thought. Because of its ability to break down class barriers, scholars argue that churches play a strong role in helping the race develop a sense of connectedness [3, 4]. As President Obama stated in his Eulogy for Sen. Pinckney, “That’s what the black church means. Our beating heart. The place where our dignity as a people is inviolate.” In support of this statement, scholars have found that church attendance is associated with higher levels of racial group identity [5]. Most importantly, it is the messages sent in Black churches that sets them apart from mainstream White churches and provide this sense of racial cohesion. While the messages in mainstream White churches reinforce the status quo, the messages in Black churches challenge it, specifically in regard to racial and economic disparities [6]. Further, this distinctive religious message explains why many religious appeals fail to attract Blacks to the GOP. Several studies have demonstrated that even when Blacks and Whites hold the same religious beliefs, such as the inerrancy of religious texts, this does not transfer to similar political stances [7]. In particular as Whites become more religiously conservative they also become more conservative on racial and social welfare issues. Blacks, on the other hand, become more liberal on these issues as they become more religiously conservative [8].
Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Bill Payer

quote:

Here's what I don't get. What historical references from the days of slavery directly connect to black females acting childish? Calling someone honey or chief have a more direct connection to discrimination over derogatory wording than calling the mayor childish.

Disrespectful? Sure it was. But this has come after months of both sides disregarding the other. If these statements were said at another time i don't believe the pastors would have spoken out. I suppose that is the critical part for me. Also, was she offended? Why are people speaking on her behalf?

Anyway, great info on here.

You don't understand because you choose not to understand the power of words. People fight all the time over disrespectful actions and speech. Were these "fighting words"? No , but they also disrespected all of those who voted for her. Also, Kincaid threatened her like he was her boss,or overseer, with teaching her discipline. Sounds like "plantation politics" to me.
You seem to forget that council is also calling her corrupt and villifying her without any proof whatsoever, just their dislike for Stanley and Gilcreast.

Council has an agenda greater than choosing the Trash Vendor. Money spent on these court cases are going to be problematic, but maybe that is part of the reason.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Nelson lost reelection in the past. Was it because he was perceived as weak, the allegations he did not live in Flint,or was Nolden just a better candidate? Is Nelson trying to be tough because he believes he must to keep his seat. His initial comments upon Weaver's election was that council had the right to scrutinize her every action. In other words they can flyspeck her.

Kincaid has a history of harsh language. There was disrespect on both sides of the Williamson and Kincaid battle and sometimes it appeared to be an epic battle. But look at the actions that put Kate Fields newly created and inexperienced company in a contract for the department of Energy grant over a company with 17 years experience.
There were warnings from the government about using newly created business venture in contacts using the Recovery Act money. Her experience- she built 2 energy efficient houses with the assistance of Agree builders. And in her original presentation, Greg Eason was to be her company CEO. Under Walling, he became the City Administrator.

The result was the loss of the grant of the needed DOE grant and paybacks. The City was able to lessen the financial hit, but they could not recover the grant.

Kate Fields came to council often with so-called wrongdoing. As a result, Nancy Jurkewicz and the Community and Economic Department had to come to council, spend research time in order to disprove her allegations.

At the hearing held by council, she denied any knowledge of why the grant was being lost. There were whistleblower lawsuits against Greg Eason and the City. A City Attorney was sent to Circuit Court with orders to get any Judge to sign papers preventing a Civil Service hearing from occurring. Yuille was out and the two Judges appointed to cover him denied the action. Yuille was angry in Court when he discovered Judge Farah had signed the document and he called the attorney in to explain. Court Procedure should have dictated that the effort ended with the two refusals.

On one occasion,I saw her stand by the door hugging each councilperson as they entered. Then, despite the past, she is selected to replace Freeman for the fourth ward. Cronyism?

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Clerk faces email controversy | September 29, 2016 | flushingview ...
flushingview.mihomepaper.com/news/2016-09.../Clerk_faces_email_controversy.htm...
6 days ago - 26, District 1 Commissioner Bryant Nolden revealed County Clerk and ... John Gleason had referred to him as a “water boy” in an e-mail sent ... Brenda Clack, commissioner for District 2, said the comment is typical of Gleason, .

810-664-0811

Clerk faces email controversy
By Sam Tunningley
stunningley@mihomepaper.com
GENESEE COUNTY – During the Genesee County Board of Commissioner’s, Sept. 26, District 1 Commissioner Bryant Nolden revealed County Clerk and Register of Deeds John Gleason had referred to him as a “water boy” in an e-mail sent Sept. 21.

The initial exchange involving members of the board and the clerk concerned the audit of the tech fund by Gabridge and Company and a recent lawsuit filed by Gleason.

County Controller Keith Francis sent a letter of review to Joe Verlin - an accountant with Gabridge – arguing the tech fund warranted no changes.

Gleason and his former secretary Roberta Sacharski disagreed with the conclusions drawn by Francis.

Verlin, in an e-mail to Assistant Controller Kristie Primeau, said the inability to reach an accord between the clerk’s office and the controller’s is the reason the audit report has not been finalized. The County is asking for money used to pay for the audit be returned to the tech fund.

Commissioner Bryant Nolden sent a thank you letter to Primeau before receiving a direct response back from Gleason addressing him as “water boy.”

The clerk told Nolden to review the tech fund law.

“The audit was paid from our tech fund, so by law we had to sign off on expenditure,” said Gleason.

Nolden called Gleason a “bully” in the meeting, adding he “hasn’t been a boy for a very long time.”

Brenda Clack, commissioner for District 2, said the comment is typical of Gleason, and has two connotations – one racial, and the other dismissive of the work Nolden has been doing for city’s water crisis.

As an African-American woman, Clack said, she grew up witnessing her brother being called a “boy,” and the comment is representative of the governmental problems going on in the country.

Gleason said there was no ill-intent behind the comment, and he admires the work Nolden has been doing with the water crisis.

“It was meant as a compliment because he’s been working his tail-end off,” said Gleason. “Nearly every single day he’s been handing out water.”

Gleason said he often gives nicknames to people, but he should have worded it differently. Commissioner Jaime Curtis said Corporation Counsel will look further into the matter.

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:25 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I know Gleason and he does have a bad habit of assigning nicknames to people. The
difference here is Gleason realized the term "boy was offensive and apologized.

Those who think it is no problem to refer to the Mayor as a little girl needing discipline don't understand the historical significance.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

'Little girl' at Genesee County meeting was actually top MSHDA official ...
www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.../genesee_county_officials_land.htm...
Michigan Live
Jan 30, 2014 - Jamie Curtis. GENESEE COUNTY, MI -- A woman who the county board chairman dismissed in an interview after a public meeting as a "little ...
Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:37 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: