FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How would you rate your Judge or Attorney?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Michigan Lawyer
A Blog from Michigan Lawyers Weekly
On-line lawyer rating service says Michigan Lawyer...
It's the truth, I swear (or affirm)
NLADA report paints ugly picture of state's public...
On-line lawyer rating service hits Michigan
Removal of Ingham judge from office caps busy week...
'Allez cuisine!' Judges swap robes for aprons at c...
Keeping clients happy: being a great lawyer is not...
Hey, what's cookin'?
In the jungle, the mighty jungle ...
A kernel of truth?

April 18, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Anonymous said...
I am not discussing any lawyers, but do have a lot of concerns about Judge Michael Theile. He is a joke, the man laughs and says he is tired and hungry when in court. He is NOT professional at all, and hopefully in the future, if he has personal ties with someone involved in the case, he will recuse himself because of a conflict of interest. I have talked to other about this and have heard the same things from a lot of people, "he is less than competant to be handling family court cases"... if you can get a different judge on your case in genesee county I suggest you and your lawyer try your best to do so!

October 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Anonymous said...
My comment is regarding Judge Michael Thiele in Genesee County Family Division. He is terrible during a case on 7/1/14 he stated in open court his discuss that he had against gay lifestyles and how unethical they were. This judge continues to not only discriminate against gay men but men in general. Even after a Licensed attorney lied in open court to the judge and the judge received proof and acknowledged, he still sided with the Attorney whom got caught lieing. He is not fit to be a judge, anyone whom has even remotely spoken against him he has been vindictive to.
November 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Christina said...
This comment is regarding Judge Theile as well. I agree completely with what everyone else is saying. He is personal friends with Chuck Desotelle. His wife, Kristy Theile, works at the Court as well. She is 25 years younger than him, with 2 young girls from a previous marriage and they were married to each other within the last 2 years. He also knows Daniel Andoni and Jodi Lyn Hemingway - just to name a couple. I have seen this conflict of interest first hand and it goes unpunished because they know it would be hard to prove. But I have hard evidence. And if anyone has had an unfair court case with him, PLEASE contact me at cquattropani@icloud.com. I will forward you everything you need. Pictures, Facebook posts...you can find it yourself too if you look up "Kristy Theile" on Facebook. It's sickening and he is not at all competent to be handling any family law cases, let alone any case with his complete disregard for ethics. It's time that someone stands up to this and hopefully someone or all of us can put a stop to this nonsense.

November 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:53 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Found this blog and was surprised to see one Genesee County Family Court Judge shown three times.

Have you had an interaction with a lawyer or judge you want to discuss?
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Charles Desotelle - 4 Attorney Reviews & Ratings -...
www.lawyerratingz.com/reviews/941297/Attorney-Charles-Desote...

Sep 5, 2009 ... Charles Desotelle attorney reviews. Add a picture ... Attorney Charles Charles Desotelle
Attorney
Flint, MI
Practice Area: Criminal Defense
Profile updated: 9/5/09 Submit profile update Subscribe to profile updates

poor quality Rating: 1.2 out of 5 based on 4 reviews.

Attorney Charles Desotelle has a poor overall rating on LawyerRatingz.com.

The following postings have not been substantiated by LawyerRatingz.com.
Questions and answers about this attorney

Comments

Click to report rating 2/21/15 1 1 1 1 1 Failure to appear at important Hearings, Failure to provide his client with very important documents, Failure to respond to documents that were served to him, Failure to respond to a first and second Judgment of Divorce, thereby causing a 1st and 2nd Default Judgment of Divorce against me destroying my case,Repeatedly deceiving and lying to me, and my elderly parents, who he also took money to represent, Breached two contractual obligations with me his client, and a contract he signed with my elderly parents as well, failure to answer phone calls and letters from his client, billing client for hours he never worked on the case, showing up to represent my ex-wife after I fired him in the same case, colluding and collaborating with the opposing counsel and litigant, lying to the judge, the Attorney Grievance Commission, and committing perjury himself on Sworn Statements and Answers to Interrogatories and Admissions, hiding documents from his client, disappearing after taking retainer. RID: 150757

Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating 4/16/14 1 1 1 1 1 Paid this attorney upfront now that he is actually needed he will not return phone calls or text messages & though he was paid $2000.00 he now wants more money to file a motion even tho he has done NOTHING for the money he received do not hire this joker RID: 135444

Click to report rating 3/27/13 3 1 1 1 1 Took the money and ran. Do not pay this guy up front. Will not return phone calls. RID: 105621
Read this rating's feedback
12/26/11 1 3 1 1 1 RID: 57642
Rate this attorney

, Ratingz Inc. • PriDesotelle has a poor overall rating on LawyerRatingz.com. The following ...
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MichiganFlintCriminal Defense AttorneysCharles R. Desotelle
No photo
Charles R. Desotelle
Practice areas:
Criminal defense, Family, Personal injury
Flint, MI
Licensed for 24 years
Reviews: 3.0 stars
out of 6 reviews

Avvo Rating: 6.8 out of 10
Learn about the Avvo Rating

Review Charles Desotelle

Terrible experience
1.0 star
Anonymous review posted on
April 11, 2016
I hired Mr. Desetelle to represent me in my divorce case. After we settled my ex husband neglected to pay what we had agreed in court. After him promising me over the phone that he would file a motion to have the court take action he has refused to do so. It has been a full year since my ex husband's deadline to pay. I have called numerous...

More
Hired attorney
wasted my time and money
1.0 star
Anonymous review posted on
March 25, 2016
In the beginning of my case he was very involved and always sure to let me know what was going on. As time went on and the more I needed help the slower he got. Now he just won't ever meet with me but is sure to ask for more money. My total is over $5,000 and still going. Now thinking of Leaving him.

Hired attorney
dont hire this Attorney (please read this as it is all true)
1.0 star
Posted by Raphael
February 21, 2015
Please note the following true facts about him:
a. His Failure to appear at important Hearings all together upon taking my retainer,
b. His Failure to provide his client with very important documents that he was served with,
c. His Failure to respond to documents that were served to him by opposing counsel,
d. His Failure to respond to a Judgment of Divorce, thereby causing a First Default Judgment of Divorce against me,
e. His Failure to respond to a second Judgment of Divorce that he was served with after the Court allowed him to set aside the first Judgment of Divorce that he had already defaulted on,
f. His Failure to respond to a second Default Judgment of Divorce due to his own negligence, which destroyed my case,
g. His Repeatedly deceiving and lying to me, his client, and my elderly parents, who he also took money to represent,
h. He Breached two contractual obligations with me his client, and a contract he signed with my elderly parents as well,
i. He took a great deal of my money and the money of my elderly parents and did not perform any of the work he promised for said monies,
j. His Failure to respond to Summons and Complaint that he was originally provided with on day one of the retainer,
k. His Failure to respond to his client’s letters and the letters from the client’s family addressing their very important concerns,
l. Not filing an immediate Appearance upon taking my first Retainer,
m. Billing the client for work that he did not do,
n. Not performing any Discovery whatsoever as required,
o. Not protecting his client’s entire million dollar Estate,
p. Not protecting all of his client’s assets and marital assets as he promised he would do,
q. Contractually promising “Grandparent’s Rights” and never doing a single thing regarding said rights after taking monies,
r. Appearing on behalf of my ex-wife after he was already fired, in my same Divorce Case, which is unethical and a violation of the attorney/client privilege. When I was attempting to have the 2nd Judgment of Divorce, that attorney Desotelle defaulted on, overturned in Court, he appeared with my ex-wife and her attorney with his hand on my ex-wife’s shoulder and appearing on behalf of her and her attorney. This was a complete shock to me and leads me to believe that he was working with her from day one. I also found his business card in my ex-wife’s personals that she left upon abandoning my home, a home that attorney Desotelle allowed her to get exclusive possession of during the divorce. This type of collaborating and colluding with the opposing counsel is unethical in the State of Michigan,
s. He demanded $1,000.00 from one of my witnesses to appear at a 1 hour deposition despite that he was already contractually and legally required to appear at any matter in my divorce case after already being paid. He managed to obtain this additional $1,000.00 with his fraud from this witness. He told the witness he would not appear unless he was paid this money first,
t. He demanded a second retainer from me after he caused all of the above damages. At this point, I had to fire him.
u. He deceived and intentionally lied on his Answers to an investigation by the Attorney Grievance Commission of Michigan. I can provide his answers and all of the physical proof of his perjury to this Commission.
v. He knowingly lied to a Judge, several times, in person. I can provide proof of this,
w. He committed perjury, under oath and on several Sworn Statements, in his intentionally perjured answers to Interrogatories, answers to Admissions, and Requests for documents,
x. He conveniently claimed he had absolutely no records to produce upon several Requests for Documents because by producing these documents he would have exposed his further perjury with the Court,
y. He billed me for many hours for work that he never even did on my case.

*Desotelle did have two positive ratings and two recommendations from fellow attornys

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Complaints filed with state against Genesee County's attorney, chief probate judge following recall hearings

Print Eric Dresden | edresden@mlive.com By Eric Dresden | edresden@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on July 02, 2014 at 7:50 AM, updated July 02, 2014 at 7:51 AM

FLINT, MI – After four recall hearings by county officials, Gaines Township Supervisor Chuck Melki said he is frustrated with the way County Interim Corporation Counsel Celeste Bell and Chief Probate Judge Jennie Barkey handled the hearings.

Melki filed complaints against Bell with the State Attorney Grievance Commission and against Barkey with the Michigan Judicial Tenure Commission.

"There are double standards and attorneys should know better, especially a judge," Melki said.

Bell and Barkey both said they had heard nothing about the complaints and could not comment.

Melki pointed out three separate issues in letters sent to the commissions.

The first claim is that the first hearing was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. on Dec. 4, before the county building had opened, Melki said. Because the offices were locked, he was unable to get into the building until several minutes late for the hearing.

The second is that Barkey recused herself during a recall hearing against Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell, citing a friendship.

Melki, a former Genesee County police officer, said he's worked with Barkey before, including in the courthouse and wonders why she didn't recuse herself during his hearings.

The final complaint Melki has is against Bell and Barkey from a hearing on Feb. 13, when petitioner Jason Ling accidentally circled the designator of Gaines as a "city" instead of "township. During the hearing, Bell advised the commission that the language could be changed after the hearing to identify it as a township and Barkey was the only member of the Genesee County Elections commission who voted that the language was "clear and factual."

Barkey sits on the commission with County Clerk John Gleason and Treasurer Deb Cherry.

Because of the confusion during the Feb. 13 hearing, Gleason told his staff in the elections division that petitions would not be modified after being submitted.

Barkey previously said that she was happy the petition ended up rejected.

"Based on what (Bell) was telling me, I thought the language in the petition was clear and factual," she said. "The good thing is it didn't pass. So there is no harm, no foul."

"Somebody has to hold these people accountable," Melki said.

Robert Edick, deputy administrator for the State Attorney Grievance Commission, said he couldn't comment on any specific investigation but explained the investigation of any complaint is multifaceted.

First, an attorney reviews it to make sure there are sufficient details about misconduct. If enough evidence is found, a copy of material received is sent to the attorney for them to answer.

After the letter, and possibly more investigation, a memo is prepared for nine members of the commission to determine if any further action should take place, Edick said.

Depending on the ruling by the commission, a hearing panel of three volunteer attorneys could decide a punishment, with hearings "conducted the same way a non-jury trial would be in a civil case," Edick said.

For judges, the process is similar, with a review, investigation, disposition of grievances, and hearings.

--------------------
'It wasn't good then and it's not good now:' First recalls go through Genesee County, state after 2012 changes

State believes campaign finance violation occurred by Gaines clerk in recall effort
-----------

1gardener Jul 2, 2014
These recall efforts in Gaines Township were totally unnecessary, but made so by those powers that be. State Attorney General and County Prosecutor did nothing to hold Clerk Dowler accountable for stealing the all the records from the Supervisor's office, leaving the people no other avenue but to recall him. Treasurer Hyrman spearheaded her ongoing effort to close down our police protection. Enough signatures were collected against Dowler and Hyrman and who does Gleason hand the petitions to for verification - Dowler and his deputy, Karen Hawkins. But the circulators must have done a really good job as the both couldn't throw enough out to stop the recall. Now the Melki one. Regardless of "factual", prior reports indicate that Judge Barkey has voted "yes" on this recall every time. If a conflict existed should should have excused herself. Now it's reported that petitions have been turned in on Melki and who did Gleason hand them to for verification - Dowler, who's wife, Diane Dowler is a circulator, and his deputy Karen Hawkins who also is a petition circulator against Melki as well as Diane Hryman. Also, public resources (Village of Gaines office) was used as a collection location. Will Gleason exercise his authority and throw out these petitions - Odds are I would say No. It's not what you know in this case, it is who you know, or more accurately - Who you like.

Steve S. @1gardener If you look at this subject that was covered in your last comments, you will see that an annual resolution is passed by the board stating that the documents in the Supervisors office are the authority of the Supervisor. The Clerk is legally charged with the safe keeping of the Township documents. In my opinion, putting all the documents into 5 recycle bins, taking them out of the Township office to his home, then claiming no knowledge of where they are, then because someone threatened to go to the police if they weren't returned, he returns them and still lies about taking them, is stealing. If he thought he was doing nothing wrong, then why did he lie about it>

gainesresident Jul 2, 2014
Melki just wants accountability. He always has. Why would we expect that to change now? Shouldn't our judges, attorneys, politicians be held to a higher standard? At least to the same standard that they want to hold us to?? The rules are the rules - they can't be changed half way through the game.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have always found Melki to be highly principled and a hard worker. When Pickell threw him into a role involving gangs in the Prosecutors office, he handled that task remarkably fast and became proficient.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:59 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint seems to lose all of their really good investigative reporters to bigger markets.

Kiertzner was one of the best. He first went to Channel 4 WDIV and later to wxyz Channel 7

Jim Kiertzner spent some time in Flint in 2007 following up on a story of a Detroit Magistrate Irma Chenevert forced to resign who asked the Granholm administration to be considered as a judge should a vacancy occur. Allegations that Chenevert was friend of Genesee County Judge Archie Hayman and that was the reason she was appointed as Flint District Court Administrator inspired kiertzner to follow what he believed was a serious question of ethics and public safety.

After a lot of investigation, Rescue 4 Undercover executives were unsure of the relevance to their Detroit viwers and pulled the plug.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:17 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

An undated letter from the 68th District Court Employees was sent to Kiertzner.

Jim Kiertzner
WDIV TV 4 Detroit

(letter originally all in caps)

PLEASE HELP US EMPLOYEES AT THE DISTRICT COURT/ IRMA CHENEVRT IS OUT OF CONTROL AND THE UNION HAS SOLD US OUT. SHE HIRES HER FRIENDS TO WORK HERE THAT LIVE OUTSIDE OF FLINT AND GENESEE COUNTY. SHE VIOLATES CITY LABOR RULES LIKE GIVING OUT COMP TIME O HER FAVORITE PET EMPLOYEES, AND BLAMES US BECAUSE MS, PITTS WAS TOLD ABOUT IT.

NOW SHE HAS HIRED A CONVICTED DRUG ADDICT AND SEX OFFENDER O WORK HERE. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE THAT A MAN WHO USED HIS POSITION AS A CIRCUIT COURT PROBATION OFFICER TO HAVE SEX AND DRUGS WITH THE MEN HE WAS SUPERVISING SHOULD BE WORKING HERE! SURELY THEY CAN FIND SOMEBODY TO WORK HERE WHO IS NOT A REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER. WE FEAR FOR OR JOBS IF WE SPEAK OUT. WE FEAR FOR OUR SAFETY BECAUSE THE DRUG ADDICTED PERVERT IS HERE. IF SOMEBODY IS MOLESTED OR ATTACKED BY THIS MAN WHO WILL PAY FOR THE LAWSUIT THAT WILL BE FILED. WHY IS NOBODY PROTECTING OUR SAFETY?

HELP US PLEASE!!!
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

While I don't recall any mainstream Flint media covering the issues, on July 31, 2007 the alternative newspaper the Flint Enquirer wrote "68th District Court Officials Hire staff from Outside of Flint. (no reporter shown)

The article cited a "controversy" brewing in the 68th District Court over the hiring of several nonresidents o Flint as new temporary employees.

"Reportedly, Interim Flint District Court Administrator, Irma Chenovert, who is herself a resident of the City of Detroit, hired new employees from the Detroit area and other communities outside of Flint. Some of the new employees ar members of a Detroit area church that Chenovert attends."

The article cited employees of the Flint District court saying morale was very low over perceived "cronyism" and "nepotism" in the hiring and promotions over the last year.

"Chenovert was appointed Interim Court administrator last year by Judge Archie Hayman when former Court Administrator Lynette Ward unsuccessfully challenged Judges William Crawford and Herman Marable for a judgeship in the 2006 election.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:58 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Enquirer stated they were unable to get a comment from Judge Hayman for the story. They noted that Hayman was assigned a dual role as Chief Judge for the Genesee County Court and the Flint District Court by Michigan Supreme Court Chief Justice Clifford Taylor.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The employees were referring to the hiring of Craig Anthony Justice, who's new employment was announced on August 14, 2007 in a memo from Sonya V. Williams , Executive Assistant. Justice was assigned to the Office Manager Technical Services, Sue Jarema.

Flint Journal reporters Paul Janczewski and Ken Palmer wrote a series of stories covering the story of Justice. They covered the trial of the role of Justice, a Genesee County Probation officer, who helped one of his tethered male probationers "get off of probation in exchange for sex and drugs.

Justice, an 8 year state employee from Davison, was charged in April 2002, with three counts of second degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of cocaine possession. He pleaded guilty to having sex with one of his probationers who allegedly also supplied Justice with cocaine. Sentencing by Judge Hayman was September 19, 2002.

Hayman told Justice he "violated his position of authority" during sentencing. Justice pleaded guilty to one count o second degree sexual conduct, a 15 year felony, and using cocaine, a 1 year misdemeanor. Hayman sentenced Justice to 1 year in jail.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Chenevert wrote a memo to the staff on July 25 2007 addressing the employees concerns of favoritism in comp time.

"I must report an unfortunate occurrence. I received notification from the City of Flint Department of Human Resources that an anonymous note was submitted indicating that Compensatory Time was being awarded to staff. Because of this, the Administrative Team will no longer be able to show our thanks to staff members who go above and beyond their normal work duties.

As many of you may or may not know, this was our attempt to try and boost morale along with saying thank you. I am sorry that someone felt slighted and chose to hurt others by this act.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Personally, the self serving wording of this memo convinces me, the employees had a right to be concerned.

The language in an earlier memo of January 11, 2007 was written in a similar fashion but attributed to Paula Peterson, Interim Administrative Services Office Manager.

"UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, ALL OVERTIME HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED

This means that extra effort will be necessary on the part of each and every one of you to stay current with your daily and weekly duties. Should you encounter any problems in maintaining your duties, please notify your Supervisor immediately so that you may be advised of the best way to prioritize and avoid any difficulty in the future."

Sounds ominous to me!

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

December 16, 2006

A $71,000 position is eliminated. Chenevert has her salary increased from $71,000 to $85, 990.

Other pay changes:
Lisa king $50,280 to $63,086.40
Paula Peterson $47,243 to $ 58,722.56

Lynette Ward $85,339 decreased to $ 65, 339.04
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:58 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Kiertzner's point, which is equally valid today, was "Suitable to be a Judge?-YOU be the judge.

So many times our Judges run unopposed, so the voters really have no choice. Or the voters, when given a choice, have no knowledge of the issues behind their decision.

Here are some of Kiertzner's thoughts when planning his production:

"Ima Chenevert is the Flint District Court administrator, in charge of hiring, firing all clerical staff and running the courthouse operations. YOU JUDGE THIS. She hired this man as a deputy clerk. His name is Craig Justice. His co-workers call him perverted Justice. You can look him up on the Michigan Sex Offender Registry. He pled guilty in 2002 to using his insider position as a Flint probation officer to get sex and drugs from a defendant under his watch. Justice did a year in jail. He's a convicted felon and now working back in the court system with full access to court, criminal and state records. Some say the fox is in the hen house.

(shot of courthouse woman with identity concealed talking about how they don't feel safe with him working in there.)

(confrontation?) We tried to talk with Mister Justice, but he wasn't taking our questions)
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:40 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: