FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is Giggles the pig a racist manuever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sally Haywood-leonard Mays and I don't get along, but I believe he was right about the symbolism of the pig meaning an animal mayor is more preferable to a minority. No different than this story in Cross Current. Ewing is already apologizing on his web site.

Cop Says Killing Black People Is Okay Because ‘It’s Not Against The Law To Put An Animal Down’ ...See More

Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Chuck Moss Doesn't this violate the Bacon Act?

Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Terry Bankert This is simply a swindle of pork belly futures.

Like · Reply · 1 hr · Edited

Terry Bankert Sally I think you are right

Like · Reply · 1 hr

Steve Hester This just tells me Terry, due to all your active posts regarding "voter pig distraction" whatever that is, that your candidate or you feel really threatened by a pig. That in itself says tons about flint politics. Some pig....

Like · Reply · 16 mins

Terry Bankert It will confuse the write in process. The is no registered voter named giggles, Giggles cannot sign an intent statement, the votes will not be officially counted, additionally the pigletts organizing this are collecting other candidate information. This Is nothing more that political action , their right, I disagree with advocacy of a write in program not in compliance with the law.

Unlike · Reply · 1 · 3 mins

Terry Bankert Things are hard enough for those who may choose to run,

Like · Reply · 2 mins

Sally Haywood-leonard You are absolutely right Terry. The pig is allegedly supporting herself and opposing at least two candidates

Like · Reply · 2 mins

Sally Haywood-leonard Pretty much part of the definition of a PAC

Like · Reply ·
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:57 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://dlisted.com/2015/05/08/hot-slut-of-the-day-639/

Hot Slut Of The Day!

May 8, 2015 / Posted by: Michael K

Giggles the Pig, the future Mayor of Flint, Michigan (hopefully)!rWhat do you think?

Finally, a political candidate we can all trust. I’m all for animal friends running for political office, because they’re usually more trustworthy, articulate and less stanky than most of their opponents. Don’t let the shifty side-eye action and the fact that she’s a pig fool you. Giggles the Pig may be one of the best candidates in Flint’s mayoral race. So far the candidates include a dude who was convicted of murder and another candidate who was recently convicted of drunk driving. Giggles’ human, defense attorney Michael Ewing (no relation to J.R. and Sue Ellen, I think), doesn’t want his town run by a murderer and a recent drunk driver, so he threw his pig’s name into the race.rWhat do you think?

Michael Ewing writes on the Giggles the Pig for Flint Mayor Facebook page that she’s a better candidate than those two messes. Yes, she may have shit on the rug and snores even when she’s awake, but she’s never murdered a human. He writes this about Giggles the Pig running for mayor of the homeland of Sandra Bernard, Michael Moore and Terry Crews:rWhat do you think?

I am not one of those people who like to say negative things about Flint. I think Flint has a lot of potential. However, the combination of the aforementioned buffoons running for office along with the failure to have any mayoral candidate placed on our ballot was too much. All I could think at the time was that the situation is just another city hall circus. And what’s a circus without animals?rWhat do you think?

So, yes, I am running Giggles the Pig for Mayor of Flint. I hope that you will vote for her as a mayoral candidate who has never murdered a human. She has never placed citizens in harm by driving drunk on the highway, and has never interrupted public business and public meetings. She is a sweet and intelligent animal—which is more than can be said for some candidates.rWhat do you think?

Wantwaz Davis (Side note: Wantwaz sounds like the campaign slogan for Steve Wozniak if he ran for office), the candidate who spent 19 years in prison for second-degree murder, had some shit to say about Giggles running against him. In a Facebook comment on Giggles’ page that was later deleted, Wantwaz accused Michael Ewing of STUNT QUEEN antics (duh) and then threatened to assassinate and eat a political candidate if he wins. POLICE! FBI! OLIVIA POPE! via UproxxrWhat do you think?

Hypocrisy has no place nor boundaries and surly does not discriminate, in which you have confirmed. In saying, you can defend men and women in the court of law who have been charged with murder, or any improprieties, take thousands of dollars from their families, in their weakest moments, while considering them to be of no significance or ability to redeem themselves. In conclusion, I honestly laughed at your remarks, however, I will be the next mayor of Flint, Michigan and will feast off of your pig at my victory party, you can get in for free, VIP on me.rWhat do you think?

CBS Detroit says that due to a ballot slip-up, all candidates must run as write-ins, so Giggles actually has a chance. If Giggles won, she’d probably ban bacon and pork rinds and lay down some felony farts during meetings (which would probably be the most intelligent thing to come out of a hole during those meetings), but she still sounds like the best candidate AND she’s got a chola name. That’s good enough for me. Giggles 4 mayor!
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Giggles the Pig for Flint Mayor

May 10 at 9:28am · Edited ·

When speaking with the national media about the campaign, I get the feeling they want us to say that things in Flint are terrible, but they're not. We've made a great recovery. There are help wanted signs everywhere. Hundreds of old abandoned houses are gone providing green space. The downtown is being completely refurbished--and it's looking beautiful. Our crime statistics may look high, but that will happen when you have as many police officers as we have--from so many different jurisdictions. It's time we embrace our hometown! Just remember, it could be worse--we could live in Ohio!
Post Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/aheller/2015/05/giggles_the_pig_wouldnt_be_the.html

Giggles the Pig wouldn't be the worst leader Flint's had - Come Heller high water

Andrew Heller | MLive By Andrew Heller | MLive
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM, updated May 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Come Heller high water...

•Oh, lighten up, Flint mayoral candidates. Giggles the Pig's internationally-known write-in candidacy for mayor isn't a "mockery of the democratic process," as one candidate described it. The foul-up at the city clerk's office that will probably result in an empty ballot was the mockery. One, it shouldn't have happened. Two, there should have been some provision in the law to let the city fix a clerical snafu like that. Snafu, by the way, is an acronym meaning "situation normal, all fouled up." A better term for politics in Flint I cannot think of.

•You want mockery of the democratic process? I refer you to former Mayors Stanley and Williamson, who paved the way for two state takeovers and did untold damage to the city and its future. Giggles, I suspect, would have done a better job than either of those two. No, I'm not kidding.

•Personally, I think Giggles is a good thing for the election. Sure, Flint received more notoriety when CNN and others got hold of the story, but as Flint lawyer Mike Ewing – the man behind the ham – put it, Giggles is all about educating voters about the importance of the election. And what better way to get people to wake up, pay attention and get out and vote than a pig?

•How much you wanna bet Giggles gets more than a few votes? If I lived in the city, I'd be tempted, just because I'm that way. Wonder where I can get a T-shirt?

•By the way, the quote of the year has to be mayoral candidate Eric Mays saying, "I'll debate (Ewing) and his pig in public any day of the week." Talk about things you never thought you'd hear a guy say.

Post Wed May 13, 2015 9:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/447772/creature-discomforts.thtml

When David Cameron described Ed Miliband as "wriggling like an eel" yesterday, he was following a long tradition of comparing politicians to a non-humanoid creature.

A dead sheep

If it’s going to be a farmyard animal then a Boxer-like stallion or a charging bull are about the only options worth considering. Nobody wants to be compared to a sheep. Or even worse, a dead sheep. But that was how Denis Healy described his friend and political opponent Geoffrey Howe, the then Tory shadow chancellor, in a 1978 Commons exchange. The wooly insult has reappeared in every Howe profile or interview since. Still, it could be worse: Clement Attlee was once described by Winston Churchill as a “sheep in sheep’s clothing.”

A poodle

Once upon a time, a wide-eyed, grinning politician whose enthusiasm knew no bounds emerged skipping into the political forest. So Tony Blair's opponents quickly dubbed him Bambi, a naïve innocent who wouldn’t last long once his more experienced opponents sharpened their claws. But he did. Too long perhaps. By the end Bambi was a distant memory, as Blair found himself reimagined as a political poodle, forever to be found trotting after – or sitting on the lap of – President George W.Bush

Pigs

Whatever did the poor pig do wrong? Greedy politicians are frequently accused of possessing porcine characteristics, wallowing in troughs as they drain the public purse dry. There was a particular outbreak of “snout of order” behaviour during the 2009 expenses crisis, and any time a politician files a dubious pile of receipt, signs up for an exciting foreign ‘fact-finding mission’, or raises the possibility of a pay rise, they are, inevitably, compared to our curly-tailed and trottered friends.

Dinosaur

If you’re old or, much worse, old-fashioned, then you’ll probably be called a dinosaur. And that doesn’t mean you rule the planet like a marauding T-Rex, rather it’s a suggestion that if not already extinct then that’s the way you’re heading. Poor Denis Skinner, who revels in his Beast of Bolsover title, was victim of a Jurassic-era themed put down by David Cameron, when the prime minister told the Commons: “I often say to my children 'No need to go to the Natural History Museum to see a dinosaur, come to the House of Commons at about half past twelve'." Three years’ on, the Beast is far from fossilized..

Rhinoceros

When Eric Pickles was described by an opponent as possessing the “charm of a charging rhinoceros”, it was meant to be an insult. But the local government secretary has taken the term to heart. Whenever he finds himself on the wrong end of a dispute, Pickles boasts that his “rhinoceros-like” hide will see him through, while jibes about his weight also failed to hurt: “I’m rhinoceros-like: I could not care less about the comments.” He's even begun a small collection of model rhinos. Not so much an itchy skin, but an incredibly thick one.

Chameleon

This one didn’t stick. In 2006 Labour tried to portray David Cameron as “Dave the Chameleon”, a bicycle riding blue reptile who changes his colours – see what they did there – to suit whatever populist message was in vogue. As Culture Club played in the background, viewers were unsubtly reminded that the Tory leader was a “man without conviction” in a two part campaign film which has not gone on to trouble video archivists

She-Elephant

Margaret Thatcher was once described by Tory MP Julian Critchley as "the great she elephant, she who must be obeyed”. Critchely, one of Thatcher's despised 'Wets', may not have been being entirely generous. Denis Healy again, this time settling on the same elephantine comparison, definitely wasn't. "The great She-Elephant - she has an impenetrably thick hide, she is liable to mount charges in all directions and she is always thinking on the trot…" Healey once mused of the Tory leader, but to Thatcher's probable relief, the Iron Lady stuck and the She-Elephant was largely forgotten.

Big Beast

Bit of a catch all, this one. With the big five of a safari tour taking in lion, tiger, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo, getting into the big beast bracket is somewhere any politician would want to be. Necessary qualifications include a mixture of holding a series of big jobs, being somewhere north of 50, and, if possible, being big in physical stature. Undisputed king of the political Serengeti is currently Ken Clarke, who may not like the idea of being a Lord or a Sir, but seems to have acquired 'Big' and Beast' as official parts of his title.

Alien

It was Matthew Parris who, as the Times' sketch-writer, first suggested that Tory MP John Redwood had extra-terrestrial tendencies. Redwood was, wrote Parris in 1989, "a new creature, half human, half Vulcan, brother of the brilliant, cold-blooded Spock'. And it's a comparison which sticks. Spock, Star Trek's most famous Vulcan, was noted for his adherence to logic and reason, doing away with emotional displays, and Redwood, critics said, seemed to follow the same code as the Starship Enterprise's first officer. "I think people sometimes go for those kind of things because they haven't managed to trap me in the more normal way - they haven't found anything I have said and done that they can criticise and so they attempt to smear by giving a view of my character that I don't share," Redwood once complained. His logic is impeccable.

By Sam Macrory
Post Wed May 13, 2015 9:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pigs

Whatever did the poor pig do wrong? Greedy politicians are frequently accused of possessing porcine characteristics, wallowing in troughs as they drain the public purse dry. There was a particular outbreak of “snout of order” behaviour during the 2009 expenses crisis, and any time a politician files a dubious pile of receipt, signs up for an exciting foreign ‘fact-finding mission’, or raises the possibility of a pay rise, they are, inevitably, compared to our curly-tailed and trottered friends.
Post Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/02/05/3619395/aaron-schock-communications-racist/

In Facebook Posts, Congressman Aaron Schock's Press Secretary ...

Feb 5, 2015 ... In the first, he compared them to animals escaping from the National Zoo
engaged in “mating rituals.” That message included a video of a ...

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/02/05/3619395/aaron-schock-communications-racist/ - 499k - Cached - Similar Pages
Post Wed May 13, 2015 9:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Rep. Schock accepted Cole’s resignation on Thursday.

In a series of Facebook posts obtained by ThinkProgress, the senior adviser for policy and communications to Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL) posted racial comments and endorsed gentrification of his neighborhood.

Benjamin Cole, a former Baptist pastor and energy industry spokesman, posted a series of videos and comments on October 13, 2013 mocking two African Americans outside his DC apartment. In the first, he compared them to animals escaping from the National Zoo engaged in “mating rituals.” That message included a video of a woman, shouting and seemingly engaged in an argument with someone not visible as she walked. In each of his posts, he used the hashtag “#gentrifytoday.”

The National Zoo was closed that week due to a federal government shutdown.

The posts appeared to have been removed Wednesday.

Later that year, Cole described witnessing a shooting of “one of the hood rats on my street” by “another hood rat.”

BenjaminColeRacist4

In a 2008 article for BaptistNews.com, Cole scolded other Baptist pastors for their racist reactions to Barack Obama’s victory, but acknowledged, “During the course of the past year, I too have been forced to wrestle with my own prejudices. At times, I’ve joined the bigoted banter and helped to scratch the old wounds of racism.

Last month, he posted on Facebook describing an issue he’d had with an African American police officer after being assaulted by an African American
female BuzzFeed’s Andrew Kaczynski unearthed some additional Cole posts on Thursday, including a follow-up comment on his post from January about his interaction with a DC policewoman. In it, he wrote that he is “all too worried about the deportables, as you know. I am doing, however, my absolute best to put as many Black criminals who live and loiter on my street behind bars. And if I found any White, Hispanic, Arab, Aleutian, Islander, or other such race causing mischief in my neighborhood, I would pursue their arrest, prosecution, and imprisonment as well.”

Post Wed May 13, 2015 10:00 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://s.mlive.com/M26W7rQ

Candidate blasts Giggles the Pig Flint mayoral campaign as racist stunt

Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on May 08, 2015 at 11:45 AM, updated May 08, 2015 at 11:47 AM

FLINT, MI -- Flint city councilman and mayoral candidate Eric Mays is publicly blasting the campaign seeking to elect Giggles the Pig as the city's next mayor.

In a Facebook post early Friday, Mays said the campaign is motivated by racism and hypocrisy.

Mays, who represents the city's predominantly black 1st Ward, claimed that a campaign organized by local criminal defense attorney Michael Ewing seeking to elect his pet pig, Giggles, as the city's next mayor is an insult to the residents of the majority black city.

Mays made the accusation in a lengthy, public Facebook post after news about Giggles' campaign made headlines around the globe.

"Mr. Ewing is a white person calling two black people less than a pig," Mays said in a phone interview Friday morning.

Ewing denied Mays' accusations, adding that he is an "equal-opportunity criticizer."

"How do you respond to something so silly?" Ewing asked. "Saying that I'm somehow racist is absurd."

Ewing announced Giggles' campaign on Facebook on May 4 following news earlier this week that no names would appear on the upcoming mayoral primary ballot because the clerk's office gave the wrong campaign filing date to candidates.

Four candidates, including Mays, were informed that they filed enough signatures to be certified, but wouldn't be on the ballot because they missed the deadline by a week. In addition to Mays, incumbent Mayor Dayne Walling, Councilman Wantwaz Davis and businesswoman Karen Williams Weaver filed the required number of signatures by the wrong deadline given by the city.

The state said the city must proceed with an all write-in candidate election.

Ewing said he believed an all-write-in mayoral race could result in residents electing an unqualified leader, and Giggles' campaign aimed to bring more public attention to the race.

A part of that public attention included criticism of two sitting council members and mayoral candidates, Mays and Wantwaz Davis, for their previous criminal convictions. Both councilmen are black.

Mays called Giggles' campaign hypocritical and racist given that Ewing's law practice represents people with serious felony cases.

He also criticized Ewing for not blasting Walling, who is white, by name during a recent interview with a Detroit television station.

"I'm saying he could have just called us the N-word," Mays said of Ewing.

Davis said he wouldn't call the campaign racist, but he agreed that a criminal defense attorney criticizing convicted felons is hypocritical.

"If he feels that way then he needs to stop being a defense attorney," Davis said, adding that people are able to redeem themselves and become a positive example for others in the city.

Ewing said he has no problems criticizing other candidates who come forward in the race if they don't have a plan to move Flint toward financial solvency and away from state oversight.

"I have no problems criticizing others as soon as I know who runs," Ewing said.

Ewing has said the Facebook page won't be used just to promote Giggles. He said he plans to post information about Giggles' opponents to help better educate voters about their choices and bring attention to the election that will select the person to lead the city after the lengthy tenure of state-appointed emergency managers.

He said he would also challenge the candidates to draft a two-year budget for the city prior to the vote to show electors what their plan is for Flint.

But, Mays said he isn't afraid to discuss the issues of the race, even if Ewing and Giggles go forward with their campaign.

"I'll debate him and his pig in public any day of the week," Mays said.
Post Fri May 15, 2015 3:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michael Ewing

Michael Ewing
6 days ago

I have attacked mayoral candidate Eric Mays because he is a buffoon and an embarrassment to the City of Flint. I aggressively represent my clients, but that doesn’t mean I necessarily have to like the things they have done. I represent lots and lots of Flint’s residents for free, or at significantly reduced rates to help their families. I won’t take people houses, or their retirements, as payment for legal services. I have given money (and a couple cars) to people who live in the City of Flint, so to help their families. If I wanted to be petty like councilman Mays, I would stop trying to help. I have moved to Flint and dedicated my career to the citizens of Flint because it is my duty. The fact of the matter is that Councilman Mays is manufacturing lies because he is mad that I have exposed his silliness on national television. He is upset because I have said that he is not qualified to be mayor, councilman, or dog catcher—and I’m right—he’s not. Don’t believe me? Just Google his name and do your own research. Eric Mays is an embarrassment to the City of Flint.
Post Fri May 15, 2015 3:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Most of the posts were similar.

catgirldo

@Michael Ewing Eric Mays is a vainglorious egomaniac who actually believes that everyone is against him. With the exception of the 1st Ward voters he is 100% right. He believes he has done nothing wrong and he is 100% wrong in that personal assessment. Eric Mays is the biggest political joke in the U.S.A. and is tied, with the Mayor of Toronto, Canada, for the biggest political joke on the North American continent. He is worse than an embarrassment to the City of Flint only I cannot think of the word to describes him other than nightmare
Post Fri May 15, 2015 3:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Attorney Michael Guss noted that Eric Mays file a lawsuit against Inez Brown. He did on 5/14/2015. The se number is 15-104804AW Judge Hayman.
Post Fri May 15, 2015 3:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.dailykos.com/blog/peregrine%20kate/

Wed May 13, 2015 at 05:45 PM PDT.

Michigan/Motor City Kossacks Weekly Open Thread: Why "Giggles the Pig" Might be Flint's Next Mayor

by
peregrine kate .

Motor City Kossacks Banner

ICYMI: "Giggles the Pig," a sow belonging to attorney Michael Ewing of Flint, has been put forth as a candidate for the mayoralty of Flint, Michigan.

I'm all for political theater. But, really? A pig?

This ridiculous situation was made possible by a series of errors made by the Flint City Clerk and compounded by the prospective human candidates for that office. The City Clerk apparently gave several candidates the wrong due date (April 2Cool for delivery of their nominating petitions. Eric Mays, currently on the Flint City Council, is the only candidate who DID meet the actual deadline, April 21--sort of. However, Mays did not file enough valid signatures for his nomination before the real deadline, so his name won't be on the ballot in any case.

Ewing claims to have been motivated to run his pig for office out of frustration with the caliber of the other candidates. He finds it especially problematic that one of the candidates, Wantwaz Davis, is a convicted murderer who served 20 years in prison. [Link here to Giggles' FB page, with Ewing's statement from May 5; link here to MLive article quoting Ewing.]

The prospective candidates have responded in a variety of ways to the implicit insult. Mays thinks Ewing is being "racist and hypocritical" in his bogus campaign, since Ewing earns a living as a criminal defense attorney and thus in Mays' view should not hold people's criminal records against them. The two black men in contention for this office both do happen to have criminal records. Mays' most recent legal difficulties arose from a bizarre incident in early 2013 in which he was found apparently intoxicated standing next to a car with three flat tires on the shoulder of an interstate freeway, headed in the wrong direction. That case has been in and out of court for several months both before and after Mays was found guilty of impaired driving. I don't have the time or the inclination to track down all the details, frankly.

There is one white man and one black woman who hope to be on the ballot as well--Dayne Walling, the current mayor of Flint, and Karen Weaver, a psychologist and entrepreneur. Walling came into office in 2011, immediately before an Emergency Manager was imposed on the city, so in many ways he has had no opportunity to prove himself in the position, or to fail. (Interestingly enough, Walling was a Rhodes Scholar and an aide to U.S. Rep. Dale Kildee.) Weaver, holds a Ph.D. in psychology; she has deep roots in the city and has been a leader of various prominent community-based organizations, including a ten-year stint as director of Behavioral Services at Mott's Children's Health Center. Neither one is especially flattered by Ewing's gimmick, understandably.

The latest development is a bill introduced in the MI Senate by Jim Ananich of Flint to allow a one-time waiver of the deadline. Without the passage of such legislation, there will be no names on the ballot for the mayor's seat.

Flint's situation is precarious at best. As residents know far better than I, they're coping with a disastrous decision to break off from the Detroit water and sewage treatment system and start their own. I apologize for the scant details here, but in general the project has been a clusterfk of massive proportions: major cost overruns still haven't brought people good, safe, clean drinking water. I'm confident that's a direct consequence of the GOP SOP in MI: Privatizing profits and socializing losses and risks. And that's on top of decades of disastrous losses of manufacturing as GM downsized and closed plant after plant, taking many thousands of decently-paying jobs with them. In many ways, Flint's been harder hit than Detroit, since they have even less economic diversity to develop.

I don't endorse Ewing's stunt, even though I can sympathize with his exasperation. At least, I'd rather not endorse it. I prefer to believe that the political process does matter, and that the caliber of candidates we have for office does matter, and that the mechanisms of government--when responsibly run, for the common good--do matter. Then again, we live in Michigan, where over and over again these past few years we've seen the will of the people undermined and the spirit of democracy mocked. So perhaps a protest vote is in order at moments like this. What do you think?
Post Fri May 22, 2015 7:36 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: