FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is Giggles the pig a racist manuever?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Attorney Ewing

quote:

I have been asked a lot of questions about Giggles running for Mayor, so I'll explain it one time--and then we can get back to the fun. It started because one of the city council members, who was convicted of murder, announced he was running for mayor. I am pretty forgiving, but it I am really strongly opposed to murder—and think electing a mayor who was convicted of murder sends a bad message about our city. Not to mention the embarrassing letters he has written about Flint. We also have a mayoral candidate who was recently convicted for driving his car while drunk on the highway with three flat tires—while driving the wrong direction on the highway. This same mayoral candidate has been thrown out of council meeting because he cannot behave himself. Flint deserves better candidates than this. While reading about these people it occurred to me that Giggles would be a more dignified candidate—and I’m right.

The final straw came a couple of days ago when the news broke that there would be no mayoral candidates on the ballot this year because of a couple screw-ups. We couldn’t even get a simple election right. And not even an election really—just the nominations. And yet we assure the State of Michigan that we are ready to govern our own finances—a task assuredly more complicated than filing petitions to run for office.

I am not one of those people who like to say negative things about Flint. I think Flint has a lot of potential. However, the combination of the aforementioned buffoons running for office along with the failure to have any mayoral candidate placed on our ballot was too much. All I could think at the time was that the situation is just another city hall circus. And what’s a circus without animals?

So, yes, I am running Giggles the Pig for Mayor of Flint. I hope that you will vote for her as a mayoral candidate who has never murdered a human. She has never placed citizens in harm by driving drunk on the highway, and has never interrupted public business and public meetings. She is a sweet and intelligent animal—which is more than can be said for some candidates.

Although I would like to take credit for being the first to run an animal in an election—it has been done before. There are towns across the country that have had cats, dogs, and even a beer drinking donkey who served as mayor. And years ago, there were several ficus plants that ran against members of Congress.
Let’s see how many people we can get to ‘like’ Giggles Facebook page to send the message that we expect better from out candidates—and don’t forget to vote—Giggles the Pig for Mayor.
Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:17 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint ballot mix-up spurs 'Giggles the Pig' write-in effort

posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 5:37 am

FLINT, Mich. — A lawyer wants to enter his pet pig into the Flint mayoral race after a mix-up threated to keep candidates' names off the primary election ballot.

Michael Ewing started the "Giggles the Pig for Flint Mayor" effort after learning that the August primary could be skipped unless a judge intervenes and all candidates would have to file as write-ins for the November general election, The Flint Journal reported (http://bit.ly/1IUTZvC ).

Giggles' candidacy seeks to draw more attention to the mayoral race, better educate voters about their choices and encourage residents to demand more of elected officials, Ewing said. He plans to take his pig to the streets to let people meet Giggles.

"I don't want to turn it into a laughingstock," Ewing said. "I don't know how else to get people to pay attention."

State elections officials have said that Flint's clerk mistakenly told candidates that nominating petitions were due by April 28, but candidates later were told they missed the actual deadline by a week. State law doesn't permit a clerk to extend a deadline.

Mayoral candidate Karen Weaver called Giggles' candidacy and the deadline problem a "mockery of the democratic process.

"I didn't see any pig walking around getting signatures," Weaver said.

City councilman and mayoral candidate Wantwaz Davis also took issue with Giggles' campaign.

"Putting a pig in a race is an offense to the character and moral value we're trying to exemplify in the city," Davis said.

Last month, Gov. Rick Snyder declared an end to a financial emergency in Flint. The city has been run by four emergency managers since 2011 and control is being returned to local officials, although a five-member transition board will have a significant role.

"If we elect someone who is not up to the challenge, we'll be right back to the state of Michigan emergency manager again," Ewing said.
Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There are those who suggest that Ewing is in reality supporting Walling. He recently admitted he did not know Karen Weaver.
Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://bit.ly/1FTRXef

Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
on May 08, 2015 at 11:45 AM, updated May 08, 2015 at 11:47 AM

FLINT, MI -- Flint city councilman and mayoral candidate Eric Mays is publicly blasting the campaign seeking to elect Giggles the Pig as the city's next mayor.

In a Facebook post early Friday, Mays said the campaign is motivated by racism and hypocrisy.

Mays, who represents the city's predominantly black 1st Ward, claimed that a campaign organized by local criminal defense attorney Michael Ewing seeking to elect his pet pig, Giggles, as the city's next mayor is an insult to the residents of the majority black city.

Mays made the accusation in a lengthy, public Facebook post after news about Giggles' campaign made headlines around the globe.

"Mr. Ewing is a white person calling two black people less than a pig," Mays said in a phone interview Friday morning.

Ewing denied Mays' accusations, adding that he is an "equal-opportunity criticizer."

"How do you respond to something so silly?" Ewing asked. "Saying that I'm somehow racist is absurd."

Ewing announced Giggles' campaign on Facebook on May 4 following news earlier this week that no names would appear on the upcoming mayoral primary ballot because the clerk's office gave the wrong campaign filing date to candidates.

Four candidates, including Mays, were informed that they filed enough signatures to be certified, but wouldn't be on the ballot because they missed the deadline by a week. In addition to Mays, incumbent Mayor Dayne Walling, Councilman Wantwaz Davis and businesswoman Karen Williams Weaver filed the required number of signatures by the wrong deadline given by the city.

The state said the city must proceed with an all write-in candidate election.

Ewing said he believed an all-write-in mayoral race could result in residents electing an unqualified leader, and Giggles' campaign aimed to bring more public attention to the race.

A part of that public attention included criticism of two sitting council members and mayoral candidates, Mays and Wantwaz Davis, for their previous criminal convictions. Both councilmen are black.

Mays called Giggles' campaign hypocritical and racist given that Ewing's law practice represents people with serious felony cases.

He also criticized Ewing for not blasting Walling, who is white, by name during a recent interview with a Detroit television station.

"I'm saying he could have just called us the N-word," Mays said of Ewing.

Davis said he wouldn't call the campaign racist, but he agreed that a criminal defense attorney criticizing convicted felons is hypocritical.

"If he feels that way then he needs to stop being a defense attorney," Davis said, adding that people are able to redeem themselves and become a positive example for others in the city.

Ewing said he has no problems criticizing other candidates who come forward in the race if they don't have a plan to move Flint toward financial solvency and away from state oversight.

"I have no problems criticizing others as soon as I know who runs," Ewing said.

Ewing has said the Facebook page won't be used just to promote Giggles. He said he plans to post information about Giggles' opponents to help better educate voters about their choices and bring attention to the election that will select the person to lead the city after the lengthy tenure of state-appointed emergency managers.

He said he would also challenge the candidates to draft a two-year budget for the city prior to the vote to show electors what their plan is for Flint.

But, Mays said he isn't afraid to discuss the issues of the race, even if Ewing and Giggles go forward with their campaign.

"I'll debate him and his pig in public any day of the week," Mays said.
Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

'Giggles the Pig' a write-in candidate for mayor in Flint

Posted: May 07, 2015 10:36 PM CDT

Updated: May 07, 2015 10:48 PM CDT

By Randy Wimbley, Fox 2 News

FLINT, Mich. (WJBK) - If you thought Detroit politics were bad, drive an hour up north to Flint witness the outlandish.

A clerk's mishap is keeping mayoral candidates' names off the ballot so everyone has to run as a write-in candidate.

That leaves room for a pig named Giggles. Pigs may not ever fly, but they will run for office.

Meet Michael Ewing, a Flint defense lawyer putting up his pig as a write-in candidate because he's fed up with the lack of good choices in the Vehicle City.

"No it's not in jest, I'm running her for mayor," he said. "We have one that's a convicted murderer."

"He was talking about me," said city councilman Wantwaz Davis

"We have another guy that was convicted last year of driving drunk down the highway the wrong direction, on three flat tires," Ewing said.

Councilman Eric Mays beat most of the charges surrounding that incident except one.

"The one impaired guilty," Mays said. "This is the appeal bond, $15,000 bond and a tether."

"I thought this is ridiculous and when I read the article," Ewing said. "And next to me was Giggles the pig and I said to her 'You would be a candidate than these people running for office.'"

And so he launched a campaign. The Giggles the Pig for Mayor Facebook page already has more than 1,200 likes.

FOX 2: "Are things so bad in Flint that you need a pig to run for office?"

"They must be," said resident Cathy Jackson.

"When you compare it to a convicted murderer and someone who's likely to spend election day in jail for drunk driving," Paul White said. "It doesn't seem that obscene to have a pig."

"Giggles the pig totally has my vote."

But not everyone is smiling.

"We don't need to be a laughingstock," said Rebecca Look. "We don't need a comedy trip because they want a pig to be mayor."

"He's making a mockery of the candidates and it's also a mockery of the city," Davis said.

Be that as it may it won't stop Ewing from trying and he's dead serious about doing so.

FOX 2: "For a write-in candidate you have to be a registered voter?"

"Well I don't know that that's what the federal law says," Ewing said. "Local ordinance says that or the charter says that. The federal law supersedes that and I don't think that's required under federal law."
Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eric Mays

May 8 at 4:53am ·

As an elected official of the City of Flint, 1st Ward City Councilman Eric Mays and a candidate for Mayor, believes deeply in my mind and heart that it is my responsibility to speak strongly against wrongdoers and wrongdoing in the City of Flint. Attorney Michael Ewing is a wrongdoer and what he is doing as a Criminal Defense Attorney is wrong. Just as the filth of a pig pen smells this filthy Public Campaign he has launched stinks and smells of hidden racism towards blacks that could be those he makes his living off of. I would never send a black to this Walling Supporter that calls this black elected official a pig, in so many words, but advertises come to me and let me take your money as a Criminal Defense Attorney. I expect that Attorney Michael Ewing will deny that he supports the only white candidate and maybe he do not, but after watching his interview on Detroit's channel 2, he seems nasty and racist toward black elected officials. He has convinced me he has more respect for a nasty ass pig than he has for the elected 1st Ward City Councilman and the blacks of the Northend of Flint that voted for me and that I represent. I googled Attorney Michael Ewing's advertisements and it turned my stomach to see this man call out to alleged drunk drivers, alleged murders, etc......and call those type of people less than filthy pigs. That is his what Councilman Mays has rationalized from this Whole Pig thing. This guy do not deserve, in my opinion to be allowed to make money offf of those he UTIMATELY VIEW AS LESS THAN FILTHY PIGS. LORD FORGIVE A WHITE MAN THAT WOULD COME OUT IN THIS MAJORITY BLACK CITY WITH SUCH A HIDDEN RACIAL MESSAGE, in my opinion.......... ALL THOSE THAT HE TRIES TO REPRESENT AS AN ATTORNEY SHOULD TELL HIM TO REPRESENT A FILTHY PIG BECAUSE THE PIG MIGHT REACH IN HIS POCKET AND PAY MORE......... BOYCOTT ATTORNEY MICHAEL EWING UNTIL HE DROP THIS RACIST AND HYPOCRITICAL CAMPAIGN...........,.I AM NOT GIGGLING ..............Amen.

P.S. May the GOD forgive this so called Criminal Defense Attorney towards those he makes money off of ...........Amen.
Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

ABC12: Your Trusted Source! WJRT-TV

May 6 at 3:14pm ·

Giggles the Pig says she's running because she's never been convicted of crime, she has never missed a deadline and won't waste money. ‪#‎Giggles4Flint‬

(Putting the pork back in Flint government)

Giggles the Pig running for mayor of Flint

A candidate is already asking for write-in votes for the upcoming Flint Mayor's race.

http://www.abc12.com|By ABC12 News Team

Notice the dirt on this pig's nose. Where has she had it?
Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:56 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Giggles the Pig for Flint Mayor

May 9 at 9:24pm · Edited ·

I feel like I have been unkind to mayoral candidate Wantwaz Davis. In the past few days I have hit him pretty hard in the media about his murder conviction. I don't think a convicted murderer should serve as our mayor, and I don’t think he is qualified to be mayor based on his experience. But I’m not saying that he is a bad person. I think his heart is in the right place, so if I have been unkind—I apologize. In politics, we should be able to disagree and be civil about it, and I wasn't too civil
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:00 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Wantwaz Davis I happen to notice that Criminal defense attorney, Micheal Ewing made a public apology to me; I accept his apology. I also understand that he and some others feel that I do not have the experience to move Flint, Michigan forward, as mayor, and a person with a murder conviction shouldn't be elected as a mayor. Well, everyone is afforded their own belief and opinion, I'm alright with that. However, from a realistic and factual point of view, every mayor we have elected, in the previous years were presumed to have experience, and look where Flint, Michigan is at today, economically. 30,000 men and women have felonies on their record, with no work; 80% of 54,000 minorities are living below poverty, crime is escalating, absent of a strong and or robust tax base. Small business continue to decline, blight is being addressed, although the strategy has become substandard. 2,500 or more residents are leaving every year, taking away potentially good income and property taxes to another geographical location, outside of Flint, Michigan. why? Because every mayor we've elected misappropriated the finances of the city, ruined are tax base, and never developed a strong and sustainable economic and development plan ( jobs), giving opportunity for all ethnic group and class of people. I'm not saying this to cast any fault nor charge anyone with incompetency, just establishing a factual point of view. I think being on City council for two years, attending finance meetings, learning the budget, knowing the charter, is a good step, we call that "experience". When the City elected Walling, we didn't question his experience, he was never a city councilman, prior to being mayor, that would have given him an understanding of local government and the budgetary process. Now lets talk a little about my conviction. My mother was raped by three men, when I was 17 years of age, yes, I made a poor decision to take one of the men's life, for what they had done to my mother, it still doesn't negate the fact that the premise of my conviction was predicated upon the love I have today and yesterday for my mother. I don't know what anyone else would have done if their mother or daughter was raped, but at that time, that was the decision I made and paid my debt to society, with 20 years of my life. Do I have remorse in my heart? Yes. If I knew yesterday what I know today would I have made a different decision? Yes. should that stop or disqualify me for mayor? No. When you read the bible and look at all the great men God took favor in, that is, Moses, Paul, and David, all of them committed a murder, for one reason or another; one of these men was notorious, Saul who we today call Paul. Paul murdered every Christian crossed his path, to eventually write a third of the bible, Ephesians, Revelation, Corinthian, ect. Moses murdered a man who was abusing his brother. In conclusion, God makes things happen for reason, he attaches a purpose to all of his creation. I've discovered my purpose. Whatever he ( God) has in store for me no one can take it. This City needs a new perspective from a person who is not connected to the old politics and who understands all facets of life; what need to be administered to pushing this city forward
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry Bankert It is clear that the pig is a political action entity brilliantly using the pig for mayor theme to attack other write in candidates and I predict endorse the incumbent. The piglets Probably are working closely with walling. We are on new ground with a write in only general election. Add an environment that social media information will be effective it will be a unique campaign. You cannot make this stuff up. We need a Change in the Mayors office it must be a human being registered to vote in Flint. Anybody but Walling to start. lol
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:02 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Giggles the Pig for Flint Mayor

22 hrs · Edited ·

When speaking with the national media about the campaign, I get the feeling they want us to say that things in Flint are terrible, but they're not. We've made a great recovery. There are help wanted signs everywhere. Hundreds of old abandoned houses are gone providing green space. The downtown is being completely refurbished--and it's looking beautiful. Our crime statistics may look high, but that will happen when you have as many police officers as we have--from so many different jurisdictions. It's time we embrace our hometown! Just remember, it could be worse--we could live in Ohio!
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Once again it is all about downtown!
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Giggles the Pig write-in campaign joins Flint mayoral race chaos
Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on May 07, 2015 at 1:18 PM, updated May 08, 2015 at 9:56 AM

FLINT, MI -- Giggles isn't your typical pig in the city. In fact, her owner has dreams that Giggles will run it.

In a bizarre turn of events that has already set the stage for the possibility of a blank mayoral ballot in Flint, local defense attorney Michael Ewing is trying to enter his pet pig, Giggles, into a race that could already consist of all write-in candidates.

While Ewing said Giggles would bring a term of calm and civility to the often tumultuous mayor's office, it isn't exactly clear if the nearly 1-year-old mini-pig can even legally run a write-in campaign.

If Giggles were somehow elected, Giggles would join the ranks of a handful of other animals, including dogs, cats and a beer-swilling billy goat, to be elected to leadership positions around the country.

The announcement that Giggles was seeking to become the next mayor of Flint was made when Ewing launched a Facebook page Monday, May 4, following news earlier this week that no names would appear on the upcoming mayoral primary ballot because a clerical error resulted in the wrong date given to candidates to submit their nominating petitions and signatures on time.

Four candidates who submitted signatures were told they missed the signature deadline by a week.

Ewing said he believes an all-write-in mayoral race will result in residents electing an unqualified leader.

The main platform of Giggles' candidacy, Ewing said, is to bring public attention and transparency to the race.

"If we elect someone who is not up to the challenge, we'll be right back to the state of Michigan emergency manager again," Ewing said.

So far, Giggles' campaign has caught the attention of numerous people around Flint.

The Facebook page surged in popularity, gaining more than 700 likes in just a matter of days. Other attorneys, law enforcement officers and elected officials have all added their online support. The campaign is also encouraging people to support Giggles on Twitter by using the #Giggles4Flint hashtag.

Now, Ewing and Giggles plan to hit the street, giving city residents the opportunity to meet their next potential leader.

"I don't want to turn it into a laughingstock," Ewing said. "I don't know how else to get people to pay attention."

However, not everyone has bought into Giggles' candidacy and Ewing's assessment of Flint's political scene.

Mayoral candidate Karen Weaver, who along with incumbent Mayor Dayne Walling was one of four people notified their names wouldn't appear on the primary ballot, called Giggles' candidacy and the deadline snafu a "mockery of the democratic process."

Weaver said the decision to keep the candidates' names off the ballot ultimately hurts the people of Flint and allows for situations such as Giggles' candidacy to occur.

"I didn't see any pig walking around getting signatures," Weaver said.

City councilman and mayoral candidate Eric Mays also has concerns regarding his barnyard challenger.

"Does the pig know about economic development?" Mays asked. "Does a pig know about quality water?"

Mays was initially the only candidate set to appear during the primary, guaranteeing him the only spot on the November general election ballot. However, city officials announced his name would be removed from the ballot after it was discovered that a small portion of the 900 signatures he needed were submitted after the April 21 deadline.

However, even if Mays is forced to face Giggles as a fellow write-in candidate, he thinks he'd still have the leg-up since his name is easier to spell than Giggles the Pig.

Fellow councilman and candidate Wantwaz Davis also took issue with Giggles' campaign.

"Putting a pig in a race is an offense to the character and moral value we're trying to exemplify in the city," Davis said.

Davis said Ewing's efforts should be put toward helping better the city of Flint and finding jobs for the people he represents in the court system.

"I think, being a criminal defense attorney, the first thing he should be thinking about is defending the reputation of the city," Davis said.

Davis also took the time to sound off on Giggles' Facebook page.

"...I will be the next mayor of Flint, Michigan, and will feast off of your pig at my victory party, you can get in for free, VIP on me," Davis wrote.

Walling could not be reached for comment.

Despite the criticism, Ewing is moving forward with Giggles' campaign. But, it's unclear if the results of their efforts will ever be known.

A write-in candidate has to be registered in order for their votes to be officially tallied, but Secretary of State Spokesman Fred Woodhams said write-ins would still need to meet the qualifications for mayor spelled out in the city charter in order to be elected.

City Attorney Peter Bade could not be reached for comment on the issue, but the city charter states the mayor is required to be a registered voter in the city.

Giggles, of course, cannot register to vote.

But, Ewing said the city doesn't need to approve the notices for write-in candidates.

He added that he plans to submit Giggles' notice this summer and register a formal campaign finance organization.

Even if Giggles isn't elected, Ewing said he hopes the campaign will have a positive effect on the city.

The Facebook page won't be used just to promote Giggles. Ewing said he plans to post information about Giggles' opponents to help better educate voters about their choices and bring attention to the election that will select the person to lead the city out of state oversight.

In the meantime, Ewing said he hopes Giggles' campaign can bring attention to what he feels are flaws in the city's leadership and encourage residents to demand more of their elected officials.

"We, city of Flint residents, need to demand better candidates," Ewing said.
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

"Mayoral candidate Karen Weaver, who along with incumbent Mayor Dayne Walling was one of four people notified their names wouldn't appear on the primary ballot, called Giggles' candidacy and the deadline snafu a "mockery of the democratic process."

Weaver said the decision to keep the candidates' names off the ballot ultimately hurts the people of Flint and allows for situations such as Giggles' candidacy to occur.

"I didn't see any pig walking around getting signatures," Weaver said."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see what Terry Bankert means when he says this is a Political Action issue. Should Giggles really be a PAC as she is actively against 2 candidates and supporting herself. ( or supporting Walling if you believe the rumors.) Ewing recently posted that he met Weaver and she is a nice lady, but no comments about Walling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Facebook page won't be used just to promote Giggles. Ewing said he plans to post information about Giggles' opponents to help better educate voters about their choices and bring attention to the election that will select the person to lead the city out of state oversight.

In the meantime, Ewing said he hopes Giggles' campaign can bring attention to what he feels are flaws in the city's leadership and encourage residents to demand more of their elected officials.

"We, city of Flint residents, need to demand better candidates," Ewing said."
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michael J Guss commented on this.

Michael J Guss

May 9 at 5:45am · Widget Share Log App ·

Uh, "Bad Driver" Mays, Walling is white. Ewing, I would suggest you keep that pig off the southbound lanes of I-475 on someone's Grey Goose night

Candidate blasts Giggles the Pig Flint mayoral campaign as racist stunt

Flint councilman and mayoral candidate Eric Mays claims that a campaign seeking to elect Giggles the Pig as the city's next mayor is motivated by racism and...

mlive.com

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri May 22, 2015 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:34 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: