FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: State gets F in ethics & integrity-county follows lead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: County misusing senior millage money?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Many worried about misuse of the millage even before it passed. It was rushed in and its use was not clearly defined before it was rushed to a vote.
The Bob Leonard Show repeatedly told residents not to pass the millage because it would only end up being spend on county bureacracy. The Sheriff , the Prosecutor and Metropolitan Planning have doled out the money to suit their needs, even though some of these services should have been provided without this millage. Senior Centers have greedily put their hands out for funding, mostly so some can play. Some centers are allegedly only dens for pool and gambling.

But the neediest of all, the homebound seniors seem to be out of the equation and these are the one's VAAA and GCARD were lobbying for. Ted Henry is right and this county millage is a sham as the county appears to be using it to subsidize their own offices, and not helping needy seniors.

Despite senior citizen millage, waiting list grows for home-delivered meals
Published: Friday, May 06, 2011, 8:00 AM Updated: Friday, May 06, 2011, 9:44 AM
By Ron Fonger | Flint Journal The Flint Journal
GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- The county still isn't meeting the demand from senior citizens for home-delivered meals despite collecting a special property tax that's raised tens of millions of dollars for senior services since 2006.

County Community Action Resource Department Executive Director Steve Walker said reductions in local millage money, state and federal funds have actually dropped the number of meals served daily from 1,200 in the previous fiscal year to about 1,000 now and more people than ever are asking for help.

View full sizeRyan Garza | The Flint JournalConstance Davidson, 92, of Grand Blanc, receives her home-delivered meal from Meals On Wheels driver Kim Terbush Thursday. Officials say they still can't meet the growing demand for the service despite passage of a special property tax for senior services five years ago.

More than 500 senior citizens are on a waiting list for home-delivered meals, according to the Valley Area Agency on Aging.

Our funding "really necessitated not adding any new clients and reassessing old clients for eligibility," Walker said. "There is some wait involved."

Members of the county's Senior Advisory Committee have been discussing the backlog for months, and county Commissioner Ted Henry, D-Clayton Twp., said he sees a storm brewing because of the backlog.

Henry said he will look more critically at other programs the millage is paying for if the county can't provide something as basic as a meal for needy seniors.

"I think that will be re-evaluated in the next round of contracts," said Henry, who said he would support full funding for home-delivered meal before continuing funding for programs like elder abuse prevention.

The Meals on Wheels waiting list is the latest drama tied to the 0.7-mill senior services property tax that voters approved in 2006.

Since then, the amount of money raised by the tax has fallen -- from a high of $8 million to $6.8 million annually -- because of declining property values and more seniors are asking for help, according to Lynn Radzilowski, senior services administrator for the county.

"With the amount of seniors increasing, the need is much, much higher," Radzilowski said. "There's a much higher demand for seniors wanting more of these services."

The county Board of Commissioners uses part of the 0.7-mill senior tax to help fund the operation of senior centers and part to pay for services like Meals on Wheels and county Sheriff Robert Pickell's elder abuse prevention program.

As of the end of the last fiscal year, commissioners had also banked about $5 million in senior millage funds .

Delores Coulter, an attorney who served as chairwoman of the Genesee County Services for Senior Citizens Millage Committee in 2006, said she was shocked to hear that hundreds of elderly residents are on a waiting list for home-delivered meals.

The waiting list is kept by the VAAA and numbered 522 this week, according to
Executive Director Kathryn Boles, whose agency screens those who apply for Meals on Wheels to be sure they qualify for the service.

Boles said those on the waiting list are evaluated once slots become available in the program.

Coulter called Meals on Wheels "one of the top priorities" of those who worked to pass the senior millage.

"We believed that if the senior millage passed that every senior in Genesee County (in need of a meal would get one)," Coulter said. "It's been extremely disappointing that hasn't happened.

"It shouldn't be that hard to assure that seniors get a decent meal."

Coulter said county officials should consider spending some of the millions that have been tucked away since the passage of the millage in advance of providing more funding in the fiscal year that starts Oct. 1.

"I'm concerned that something as basic as this can't be done," she said.

People like Constance Davidson, 92, of Grand Blanc, consider themselves one of the fortunate ones who were accepted into the program before the county ran out of money.

'We voted in favor of the millage because we wanted other people to have Meals on Wheels if they were in our shape," Davidson said. " We never thought we would be using it ourselves. It's wonderful."

The continuing demand for home-delivered meals is the latest of several issues that have risen up around the senior services millage since it was approved by voters.

Most disputes have centered around the distribution of the tax, which has been substantial but not enough to satisfy competing interests.

The city of Flint and the county have repeated tangled over how much the city's senior citizen centers should receive, Vienna Township was allowed to use more than $2 million from the new tax to build a new senior center that others objected to, and just this week, commissioners criticized the director of the Krapohl Senior Center in Mt. Morris Township for requesting millage dollars to travel to a San Francisco conference.

Post Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

As of the end of the last fiscal year, commissioners had also banked about $5 million in senior millage funds

Is the county using this $5 million as part of their pooled cash and just what is their intentions regarding this money. According to sources, this money is after paying all outstanding bills.

Post Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County Senior Millage Program
http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/seniors/

There are links on this website for:

Senior Citizen Services

Senior Millage geocoded maps. These maps show the approximate locations where Senior Millage funds were spent providing contracted services for Genesee County seniors.

Senior Citizen Services Advisory Committee (SCSAC)

Minutes, agendas, and updates

Genesee County Senior Service Centers

Find the Senior Service Center closest to you

Services for Genesee County Senior Citizens

Other services offered through the Senior Services Millage

Agency and Partner Links

Resources provided by other agencies in Genesee County

Contact Information
Lynn Radzilowski, Senior Services Administrator
Phone: (810) 257-3010
Fax: (810) 257-3185
Email: lradzilowski@co.genesee.mi.us

Post Fri May 06, 2011 10:53 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

When the County Parks Millage failed, it was because the millage was presented as one in which everyone paid into the millage and the communities then had to write proposals to get a piece of the pie. If a neighboring community wrote a better proposal that required funding over time, you might pay in and never reap the benefits of the millage.

People did not know this millage is somewhat the same way. Why are elder abuse cases being treated differently than child abuse cases? We don't have a millage for the investigation and prosecution of various other types of crimes.

The difference is the County Planning is controlling the millage and county officials are lobbying for the money. Flint allegedly has not reported their money correctly, so the county has imposed special rules on Flint that no other community has.

Flint residents were lobbied that their home bound seniors would have increased participation in community programs such as Meals on Wheels and VAAA. from day one the very agencies that lobbied for the millage have been saying they have not received increased funding. Valley Area Agency on Aging requires contributions from the communities it serves in order to meet matchs for grants.

Why is the county diverting the money into county services?
County senior center directors immediately started imcreasing the salary of directors and hiring staff. Now suddeenly near the end of the millage the county hires a director. Maybe it was because they couldn't decide on the rules, which changed every funding cycle. Flint rsidents have demanded accountability, which may be very new. But Flint has never gotten its bang for its buck out of the millage.

Post Sat May 07, 2011 5:28 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The county website is not particulary usefu..

Post Sat May 07, 2011 5:37 am
untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

$1.2 million in contracts from senior millage funds on Genesee County Board of Commissioners agenda Wednesday
Published: Monday, January 03, 2011, 10:33 AM
GENESEE COUNTY -- Three contracts worth $1.2 million for senior citizen services are on the Wednesday agenda of the county Board of Commissioners' Human Services Committee.

Commissioners are expected to consider a $615,000 contract with Integrated Community Services to provide assessments and referrals, $500,000 for senior abuse and exploitation with the county Sheriff's Office, and $85,000 for meals assessments with the Valley Area Agency on Aging.

County attorneys and the county Planning Commission had previously been authorized to negotiate those contracts for the current fiscal year, according to a memorandum from the Planning Commission.

The countywide 0.7-mill senior services millage property tax generates about $7 million annually.

Post Sat May 07, 2011 5:54 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County commissioners consider more senior millage spending on administration, legal fees
Published: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 1:14 PM Updated: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 1:30 PM
GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- There is not nearly enough money in the senior services millage budget to pay for administrative costs, including attorney fees, and the county Board of Commissioners is considering spending more of the special property tax on both.

Commissioners are expected to act Wednesday on a requests to increase an administration budget for the Office of Senior Services by $116,200, a 36 percent increase over the $306,000 that had been budgeted.

Part of that increase would pay higher-than-budgeted legal fees from the county's Office of Corporation Counsel -- a 47 percent increase over the amount that was budgeted.

Board Chairman Jamie Curtis, D-Burton, said establishing the office as a free-standing entity within the county Planning Commission lead to some of the one-time costs but said he expects there will be questions about the spending during Wednesday's Human Services Committee meeting.

"That's because of it being (established as) a stand-alone office," Curtis said. "It's going to be a lot less" after the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30.

Approved by voters in 2006, the 0.7-mill property tax for senior citizen services has been a source of frustration for county officials because of competing interests for the money, including the county sheriff's elder abuse program, food assistance and payments to senior centers.

Demand for the money has outstripped the $6.8 million the tax is expected to generate in the current fiscal year.

Just last month, officials acknowledged there were more than 500 seniors on a Meals on Wheels waiting list, one of the programs millage backers said the new tax help to support.

A senior advisory committee is recommending the budget adjustments.

In a memorandum to commissioners, a senior millage accountant said that in setting this year's budget, officials knew they would have to adjust administrative spending because of one-time, first-year costs.

"Many of the increases in administrative costs are for this year only," the memo says, "and we anticipate (next year's budget) to be reduced from the currently requested amount of $426,000."

DWCBOB June 07, 2011 at 1:24PM
Follow

Is it possible for a petition drive to put the question of continuing this fiasco on the ballot?
PS - I'm a "senior"

shanedr June 07, 2011 at 4:18PM
Follow

Yeah, at this rate there won't be any money for seniors at the rate the commissioners are robbing it. Where is the state attorney general when you need him?

deelee39 June 07, 2011 at 1:28PM
Follow

The whole premsie of the senior millage push was to provide more meals on wheels and other needed senior services to those whose incomes are near or below the poverty level. To the contrary, since it's approval it's become a cash cow for a myriad here-to-fore non-existent county government "service departments" that have sprung up to facilitate the distribution of the funding - and all with upper 5 figure annual salaried positions. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and shame on me if this millage gets renewed in the form it's become.

deelee39 June 07, 2011 at 1:29PM
Follow

Typo...should be premise, not premsie...

Flintasite June 07, 2011 at 1:52PM
Follow

Are they getting ready to set the taxpayers up for an increase in the millage? Or maybe they just have a surplus and want to put more of the funds directed into administrative and legal costs, say maybe a raise for everyone in the department? The administrative/legal costs are priority one in this community and those who are suppose to reap the benefits from our tax dollars get the least. Get ready for them to put on the next ballot an increase to an even one percent!

JohnofGB June 07, 2011 at 1:59PM
Follow

Are there anymore bloodsuckers that the county wants to drain off dollars from the senior millage? The idea was not to support the county with "petty cash" to be used to replace what they would have spent from their budget but to support senior programs that existed already at the time of the millage. Come on, Jamie, and say "trust me" so I believe this is all on the up and up.

offdahook June 07, 2011 at 2:54PM
Follow

The sheriff department receiving money from the senior millage needs to be audited to see where those funds are actually being spent. A recent journal article revealed that most , if not near all of their senior abuse investigatiions result in nothing more than a misdemeanor plea. The amount of money received by the sheriff could fund the wages of his entire detective bureau. The majority of the sheriff department operations is jailing, courts, and medical (paramedics). The actual police work they do is more in line with any other small law enforcement agency. Someone in county goverment needs to audit these funds.

+_ June 07, 2011 at 3:04PM
Follow

Didn't you read the Ballot? It listed all the Downtown Developement Authorities that would EACH get from the Taxes Collected ! And it Was a Very large LIST .

Inappropriate? Alert us.Reply Post new

michspartan June 07, 2011 at 3:57PM
Follow

Worst government ever.

Genesee County! See all the negative cliches about government come true!

criticofgov June 07, 2011 at 5:33PM
Follow

...then do something about it before you, as taxpayers, are no longer allowed to, (former Genesee County Commissioner/now State Representative John Gleason has been trying for years to get a law passed in Michigan whereby taxpaying citizens no longer have the right to recall elected officials in Michigan because it costs too much--as if crooked elected politicians don't cost too much!). The Genesee County Commissioners, in addition to regularly raiding the senior millage funds, have also increased the Purchasing Department budget within Genesee County by thousands of dollars, a budget used as a Commissioner slush fund...all the while laying off County workers and decreasing services to the taxpaying public...

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I'm certain there are other references to the senior millage besides this thread. There should be an online list of checks written from the senior millage funds for all to see just how convoluted this has become. I've heard some express they will not vote for the millage again and at this point I'm likely to join them.

Just came across this reference today:

Probate Court
900 S. Saginaw Street
Room 502
Flint, MI 48502
(810) 257-3528

Effective 10-1-11

Due to budget reductions, probate court intake staff will no longer assist the public with filing petitions for minor guardianships, mental health pick-up orders, and temporary guardianships or conservatorships.

This program and/or service is funded in whole or in part by the Genesee County Senior Millage funds. Your tax dollars are at work.

Source: http://www.gc4me.com/departments/probate_court/index.php

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:56 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

mlive.com
Ineligible receiver? Genesee County commissioners may block Flint senior citizens from using millage funds on Detroit Lions tickets
Published: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 9:00 AM
Ron Fonger | Flint Journal By Ron Fonger | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- No one’s telling area senior citizens not to cheer on the red-hot Detroit Lions -- they just may have to do it without any more cash help from taxpayers.

The county Board of Commissioners has already nixed one request to use money from a special senior millage to pay $7,500 for 42 tickets and a charter bus to take seniors from a Flint senior center to Detroit on Oct. 23 to see the Lions take on the Atlanta Falcons.

The board is expected to consider a new request to pay for half of the tickets and a charter bus -- $2,431 -- during a committee meeting Wednesday.

Commissioner Omar Sims, D-Flint, said he wouldn't mind using millage money to pay the entire cost of what has been an annual trip.

"This is a tradition that (seniors) look forward to," said Sims, who voted against denying the original request.

Commissioner Brenda Clack, D-Flint, also voted against refusing the trip money.

The Lions tickets are $80 each and the county has paid for the trip in the past with millage funds.

This year, however, the county's Senior Advisory Committee adopted a policy of not paying for travel outside the county without the county board's approval.

There have also been problems in the past with some Flint seniors not showing for the game and city officials having been unable to account for those leftover tickets, said Lynn Radzilowski, administrator in the county Office of Senior Services.

County officials are scrutinizing expenditures now more than ever because of declining property values, which means the millage for senior service is generating less property tax revenue.

"I can't see us paying for entertainment and outside county travel when people need food and other care," said Commissioner Ted Henry, D-Clayton Twp.

Backers of the trip told commissioners last week they may not support renewal of the 0.7-mill senior services millage unless they are allowed to plan activities that their patrons want.

"We voted for this millage. We want to keep this millage," said Debra Holmes, a representative of Flint's Brennan Center. "But we can no longer support this millage" if the city centers are treated unfairly.

Flint's three senior citizen centers have been approved for millage funding in the current fiscal year and that already allocated money would be used for the Lions trip.

Commissioners gave the county's 16 senior citizen centers $2.5 million of the $6.4 million the senior millage is expected to generate this year.

Clack said she understands why Flint seniors are frustrated being told they can't use their funding for a trip that's been a tradition since 2008.

Clack also said she's frustrated by other cuts commissioners have made in services for seniors.

In August, the county board cut funding to the prosecutor and sheriff for elder abuse investigations and eliminated a Mass Transportation Authority program that provided rides and assistance helping senior citizens to and from their homes to Your Ride vehicles.

County board Chairman Jamie Curtis said he can't vote for the Lions trip because of centers should live by travel restrictions the advisory committee put into place.

"The millage is shrinking," Curtis said. "That's the reason for (this decision). Everybody has their opinion ... You can really nit-pick this thing if you want to."

Curtis said the county has tightened the rules on what millage money is used for in several areas, noting that in addition to trips to Detroit Lions and Detroit Tigers games, the property tax has been used in the past for bingo prizes and birthday cakes.

He said senior centers can still organize out-of-county trips and use fund-raisers or other non-millage funds to pay for them

© 2011 MLive.com. All rights reserved.

Source:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/10/ineligible_receiver_genesee_co.html

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Who is Murphy Chapman and Spartan-Akers Corporation ?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

On August 1,2011 Portia McGoy of the Detroit HUD office assigned to monitor the NSP1 program, notified flint that the Spartan-Akers Corporation could no longer be used as of July 25. 2011"due to improper procurement practice".

Three officers are shown for the company:
Thomas Bradley of Detroit
Linnette Phillips of Bloomfield
Murphy Chapman, 5402 Sycamore, Flint Michigan, 48532

The question in my mind is did this company get a contract because of circumstances other than their expertise? Why is it the City of Flint cannot or will not follow HUD and City of Flint purchasing practices?

This corporation did not file their annual report for three (3) years with the state and lost their corporation status.

Searched for: SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION

ID Num: 428309
Assumed Names

Entity Name: SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION

Type of Entity: Domestic Profit Corporation
Resident Agent: THOMAS BRADLEY

Registered Office Address: 16758 KENTFIELD DETROIT MI 48219
Mailing Address:

Formed Under Act Number(s): 284-1972

Incorporation/Qualification Date: 12-30-1991

Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN

Number of Shares: 50,000

Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 08

Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 07

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:38 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Since this was an improper procurement, will Flint be required to repay this money?

Check # Check Date Name Amount Voided

A0000004128 5/16/2011 SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION $255.00
A0000003671 4/4/2011 SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION $10,778.00
A0000003556 3/21/2011 SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION $270.00
A0000003351 2/28/2011 SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION $7,615.00
162474 11/11/2010 SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION $2,250.00
161967 10/14/2010 SPARTAN-AKERS CORPORATION $14,700.00

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:41 am

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The corporation will probably file its 3 annual reports and become reinstated. Flint will be responsible for the money.

-------------------------
Instrument: 198603220000011 Volume Page: 86
Document Type: MARRIAGE LICENSE
Bride: BROWN, SANDRA KAY
Groom: CHAPMAN, MURPHY DWAYNE
Married: 03/22/1986
Local File No: 8600098007
--------------------------
Case No. 11-299504-DO
P 001 CHAPMAN,SANDRA,KAY VS D 001 CHAPMAN,MURPHY,DWAYNE
01/31/11 THEILE SUMMONS AND COMPLAINT FILED
05/09/11 ORDER FOR SERVICE BY CLK BJG
PUBLICATION/POSTING AND NOTICE CLK
OF ACTION IN GENESEE CO. LEGAL CLK
NEWS FOR 3 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS CLK
FILED CLK
08/29/11 NOTICE SENT FOR: 10/14/11 5:00 PM CLK RCA
DOCKET CONTROL
DO NOT APPEAR - CONTROL DATE CLK
TO PROCEED WITH JUDGMENT OR CLK
CASE WILL BE DISMISSED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instrument: 201011170077576 Volume Page:
Recorded: 11/17/2010 1:45:02 PM Prepared: 11/16/10 Mailed: 01/25/2011 Pages: 4
Document Type: RELEASE OF LIEN Interest: Consideration:
Grantor: PLEASANT, ROBIN
Grantee: CHAPMAN, MURPHY
Notes:
Legal Description: Sub: WALNUT CREEK CONDO, Un: 32, PrpId: 0705651032, Town: 7, Range: 6, St: 5402 SYCAMORE LN, , , City Code: 07 / Sub: CRESTWOOD NO 1, Lt: 160, PrpId: 4626451026, St: 5413 KERMIT, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: MODERN HOUSING CORPORATION ADDITION NO 5, Lt: 27, Bl: 132, PrpId: 4111429025, St: 2018 BERKLEY, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: WOODLAWN PARK NO 3, Lt: 1506, PrpId: 4108429021, St: 314 COMMONWEALTH AVE, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: BEL AIRE WOODS NO 2, Lt: 208, PrpId: 4626331019, St: 5702 LESLIE DR, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: BEL AIRE WOODS NO 2, Lt: 209, PrpId: 4626331019, St: 5702 LESLIE DR, , , City Code: 54, Remark: S 2FT / Sub: ARLINGTON MANOR NO 1, Lt: 42, PrpId: 1413551018, Town: 8, Range: 6, St: 6075 NATCHEZ DR, , , City Code: 14 / Sub: BEL AIRE WOODS NO 2, Lt: 194, PrpId: 4626331041, St: 5711 FLEMING RD, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: CIVIC MANOR NO 1, Lt: 541, PrpId: 4010234021, St: 3014 BERKLEY, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: ELDORADO VISTA, Lt: 1, PrpId: 4010227009, St: 3133 MACKIN RD, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: ELDORADO VISTA, Lt: 2, PrpId: 4010227009, St: 3133 MACKIN RD, , , City Code: 54, Remark: E 10FT / Sub: CHATHAM VILLAGE, Lt: 41, PrpId: 4626205034, St: 6713 SALLY CT, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: CHATHAM VILLAGE, Lt: 18, PrpId: 4626206070, St: 6806 SALLY CT, , , City Code: 54, Remark: SLY 25FT / Sub: CHATHAM VILLAGE, Lt: 19, PrpId: 4626206070, City Code: 54, Remark: NLY 35FT / Sub: CHATHAM VILLAGE NO 1, Lt: 117, PrpId: 4626252002, St: 6506 FLEMING RD, , , City Code: 54, Remark: PT OF / Sub: CHATHAM VILLAGE NO 1, Lt: 118, PrpId: 4626252002, St: 6506 FLEMING RD, , , City Code: 54, Remark: PT OF / Sub: CRANBROOK HEIGHTS NO 1, Lt: 115, PrpId: 4626227013, St: 6902 DARRLY DR, , , City Code: 54, Remark: PT OF / Sub: WESTGATE PARK NO 1, Lt: 4, Bl: 7, PrpId: 4025104005, St: 3901 PARK FOREST DR, , , City Code: 54, Remark: PT OF / Sub: BEL AIRE WOODS NO 3, Lt: 312, PrpId: 4626202007, St: 6806 FLEMING RD, , , City Code: 54
Marginal: Bkwd I 201003230029866 (NOTICE LIE)

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:05 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Murphy Chapman is one of two individuals that want to make a home for released female prisoners in the Georgian style former HUD home at 565 Welch Blvd. They have remodeled without pulling permits and have not changed the zoning so such a venture will violate the city ordinances.

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:58 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The corporation will probably file its 3 annual reports and become reinstated. Flint will be responsible for the money

Since the contract was given improperly, you are right. Probably without a bid. The City is breaking all kind of procurement rules with this federal stimulus money and the taxpayers will be on the hook.

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:01 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The name Murphy Chapman has been involved in property transactions in Genesee County and elsewhere for many years. Which one was involved in transactions with the City of Flint recently?

Genesee County Register of Deeds:

Place a Check Mark by the names you would like more detailed information on.

CHAPMAN, MURPHY (120)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY C (1)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY D (89)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY D III (4)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY D IV (2)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY DEVON (4)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY DWAYNE (10)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY JR (eight)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY W (1)
CHAPMAN, MURPHY WAYNE (1)
CHAPMAN DEC, MURPHY (2)

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:50 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Grand Jury follows FBI and Dept of Energy Raid in Flint

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Grand jury convenes in federal investigation of Flint energy grant funds
Published: Friday, July 22, 2011, 9:51 AM Updated: Friday, July 22, 2011, 1:58 PM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

View full sizeEmily-Rose Bennett | The Flint JournalThe Department of Community and Economic Development in the north building at Flint City Hall.
FLINT, Michigan — A federal grand jury is seeking city of Flint documents in what appears to be a wide-reaching investigation into millions of dollars of federal stimulus grants awarded to Flint.

It’s part of an ongoing investigation into grant spending — including at least $1.3 million in federal energy grants awarded to Flint — that also included a raid of City Hall on May 25.

Subpoenas issued to four city departments in May demanded more than two years worth of documents, check stubs, emails and audio and video recordings of city dealings, according to information obtained by The Journal under the Freedom of Information Act.

Most requests for information related to employees of the economic development department, but also include the personnel files for two high-ranking mayoral appointees — City Administrator Greg Eason and Green City Coordinator Steve Montle, both of whom declined comment, citing the ongoing investigation.

Federal officials requested the information in advance of a grand jury hearing that convened July 6 at the federal courthouse in Flint. Grand jury proceedings are closed to the public.

Flint City Attorney Peter Bade declined to comment on the proceedings, other than to say the city is cooperating.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said he has no further details on what federal officials are investigating.

“The city continues to fully cooperate with the investigation process,” he said.

Walling has previously said that he is not a target of the investigation.

Federal investigators and the FBI in May took volumes of archived documents and electronic information from the Department of Community and Economic Development.

A hand-written list compiled by a city employee during the raid, and obtained by The Journal, shows auditors from the Department of Energy were looking into $1.3 million in federal energy grants awarded to Flint through the Recovery Act.

Six city employees salaries are paid in total or in part with funds from the energy grants.

Federal officials have been cracking down on Recovery Act programs across the country.

It’s not known whether any of the city’s other grant awards have also come under scrutiny.

The subpoenas were requested by Assistant U.S. Attorney A. Tare Wigod of the Flint office.

Officials at the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Department of Energy have declined to comment.

Each of the four subpoenas sought records related to city employees or persons or companies that have done business with the city going back to April 1, 2009, including:

• All audio and video recordings of all Flint City Council meetings and council committee meetings.

• All time sheets, payroll records and/or pay checks for a list of 23 employees, people and companies.

• Two years worth of emails to and from 19 city employees, most of whom work in the economic development department.

• The personnel files for seven employees including Eason and Montle. All five others work in the economic development office.

The city’s economic development department handles most of the federal grant funds for the city, which has been awarded more than $40 million in recent years under various federal programs.

The list of information taken from City Hall in May also indicates investigators were interested in information regarding the city’s $4.2 million federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program 1 grant, which is dedicated to rehabilitation and demolition of houses in the city.

Jackie Foster, an administrator in the city’s economic development department, said she has no idea why her name or others’ names were on the list.

“The feds came in, we cooperated fully, we gave them all the documents they requested,” she said. “I’m not sure that any of us really clearly understand exactly what’s going on or what prompted this.”

Kate Fields, who runs a consulting firm listed on the subpoenas, said she is also in the dark on what investigators are looking for.

Her firm, Advanced Solutions Group, was paid $250,000 of the energy grant funds to prepare an energy efficiency and conservation strategy. The strategy was submitted to the Department of Energy in December 2009 and resulted in Flint being awarded the balance of the $1.1 million grant in March 2010.

The money is primarily for energy efficiency and energy conservation activities.

“I thoroughly document my work,” she said Friday. “I have no concerns about the work or anything to do with my contract or projects.”

This article has been updated to include a clarification.

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:24 pm
untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Flint mayoral candidate Darryl Buchanan blames FBI investigation on Walling administration 'incompetance'
Published: Friday, July 22, 2011, 5:04 PM Updated: Friday, July 22, 2011, 7:14 PM
By Blake Thorne | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Flint mayoral candidate Darryl Buchanan said Mayor Dayne Walling's administration has been "almost totally incompetent" in events leading up to and following the FBI investigation of federal grant funding to the city.

If the administration was doing nothing wrong "they wouldn't be taking any files out of city hall," Buchanan said at an "emergency" press conference Friday.

Walling dismissed Buchanan's charges as "irresponsible accusations."

View full sizeFlint Journal file photoDarryl Buchanan

"If Mr. Buchanan is representing to having knowledge about what is actually under investigation, then he may be aware of more than he's admitting," Walling said. "Because I have no information about what is actually being reviewed."

Buchanan — who served as city administrator in 2008 and 2009 and as a councilman and ombudsman before that — also sought to clear his name from any association with the investigation.

He said he was gone before April 2009, the starting point for documents investigators have requested.

"If you can do the math, I was long gone," he said.

Buchanan charged that the investigation wouldn't be necessary if the Walling administration were more transparent and forthcoming about spending.

"It's a crying shame that the only way we can find out about these funds is by the FBI coming in," he said.

The FBI and a federal grand jury are seeking city documents in what appears to be a wide-reaching investigation into millions of dollars of federal stimulus grants awarded to Flint.

The investigation also included a raid of City Hall on May 25.

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:54 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

patclawson July 22, 2011 at 5:49PM
Follow

It's very interesting that the Flint Journal, which has done very little reporting on the mayoral campaign over the past several weeks, somehow deems it worthy to give coverage to an "emergency" Buchanan news conference.

What's the "emergency" here, Journal? Please explain.

As far as I can see, the only "emergency" is that Buchanan is looking for some free ink prior to the election because he's afraid he might not win and has little money to buy advertising.

I note that many "news conferences" and public speeches of other candidates have not received any coverage whatsoever in the Flint Journal. What makes this one so special?

Other candidates also have said that the FBI raid on City Hall is evidence of the Walling Administration's incompetence, but their comments have not received any press coverage at all.

I also note that no other candidates or their comments are included in this story. How's that for fair and balanced coverage of the campaign? The answer is obvious.

This story is not only lousy journalism, but it is indicative of strong editorial bias on the part of the Journal against other candidates in the race.

The editorial quality of the Flint Journal just keeps going down the sewer.

Speaking as an old newshound, are there any editors on duty over there anymore?

Pat Clawson
Swartz Creek, MI
patrickclawson@comcast.net

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:55 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

cyrtonjoe July 22, 2011 at 11:54PM
Follow

You want to talk about corruptness put the chips where they should be: the FBI investigation going on in City Hall. Let's take a count: 1. Mayor Walling run out of Washington for questionable activity with money. Check the Washington Post under then Mayor Anthony. 2. Greg Eason run out of his job at Job Central for more sexual law suits to count. thenwriting checks his bank account could not support. Check the county records. 3. Donna Poplar run out of GCCAA we all know what that was about embezzelling money from Joubran she also lives in his old house. What's that all about? What did she have to do to get a prize like that. She is a convicted felon hiring her family and friends to gain political favors. 4. Steve Montle the green guy run out of the Westwood Heights School District for his racist remarks to students.
NEED I GO ON the list continues. No wonder this city is a crime capital the mayor and his cabinet are corrupt.

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:59 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I saw this video on facebook so I looked it up in the you tube videos

Steve Montle, could be the Big Fish

What's Going on at Flint City Hall

by PTCPAC |3 days ago |272 views

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:39 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

There are 2 more videos on you tube by the same group.

Anyone but Dayne
Peter Bade, wrong for the city

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The Walling administration refused to give the JULY 19TH DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY LETTER to 8th ward councilman Mike Sarginson, so he obtained it himself. He then read a portion into the council committee meeting. City Attorney Bade later said council did not need to file Freedom of Information requests, but he did not explain why the administration would not give out the information.

The Letter dated July 19,2011 came from Contracting Officer Judith S. Wilson of the Department of Energy Oak Ridge Office in Tennesee.

Dear Mr. Waling:

Thank you for your inquiry about your subject grant with the Department of Energy (DOE). As you are aware, several of our staff conmducted a routine on-site monitoring visit to the City of Flint in June 2010 and a representative from the Inspector General's Office visited on may 2011. We appreciate the time and assistance of your staff in conducting our reviews of your grant program.

Our preliminary reviews have indicated some areas for concern to DOE. In accordance with 10 CFR 600.24(b)3, DOE is investigating the City of Flint for serious mismanagement or misuse of financial assistance awards necessitating immediate action. At a minimum, the mismanagement includes failure to follow procurement standard policies and procedures, incurrence of unallowable costs, and pursuing activities beyond the approved scope of work.

Therefore, this letter serves tas notice to suspend the entirety of your grant for 90 days in accordance with 10 CFR 600.25 and 600.243(a)(3). The effective date of this suspension is July 29, 2011, ten (10) days from from the date of this letter. Costs resulting from obligations incurred by the grantee during this suspension are not allowable. In addition to this, as indicated to City of Flint personnel during the Inspector general's visit on May 25, 2011, DOE instituted 10 CFR 600.243(a)(1) and froze all funds in Flint's ASAP account until our review is concluded.

DOE will be reviewing documentation collected by the Inspector General's office and simultaneously will continue to review the amendment request that has been submitted by the City of Flint. We look forward to the City of Flint's continued cooperation with DOE in these matters, and swift resolution of the isssues.

This was also sent ot:
Gregory Eason, Flint City Administrator
Tracy Atkinson, Development and grants manager

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:10 am

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

This to me constitutes one of the frauds perpetrated upon the public. What was the exact reason residents were told water and sewer rates were going to increase effective September 2011? And then Eason asks council to approve use of W&S funds for Smith Village!

"Therefore, this letter serves tas notice to suspend the entirety of your grant for 90 days in accordance with 10 CFR 600.25 and 600.243(a)(3). The effective date of this suspension is July 29, 2011 , ten (10) days from from the date of this letter. Costs resulting from obligations incurred by the grantee during this suspension are not allowable. "

Thank you Webs! This shows part of the coverup. And residents have a right to be angry!

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:47 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: How will Gov. Snyder respond to Smith Village lawsuit?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

As the city is preparing for the Governors team to come in as the second step in evaluating Flint's future, we have been told that documents relating to the lawsuit have been forwarded to the Governor and HUD. Since the State of Michigan is the pass through for the NSP 2 funds, will the State bear the costs of any mismanagement of funds received by Flint through the State. After all, the State must monitor the funds too,

Can these serious allegations be ignored? Can Flint survive the costs of defending the lawsuit? If Flint loses the case, how can we pay a large judgement?

Will Currry and his partners sue for nonpayment. Since they were given a cease work order by Young, someone in the project must have authorized the start of work. Permits were pulled.

Where is Hud and the OIG in all of this? They are supposed to be protecting the federal government's interest in this development. Will Flint have more monetary paybacks to HUD.

When the St John Urban Renewal started, that eventually became University Park, the Oak Park ( now Smith Village) residents were upset the urban renewal efforts did not include them. That was nearly 40 years ago and the housing stock in this area has continued to decline and crime is high. It seems that area is still an area of controversy. Streets like Wood Street are in need of a rebuild. Drug dealers and prostitutes are visible in some areas.

University Park, with it's berms and fences is somewhat secure only because of the vigilance of the residents and their crime watch. Smith Village will not have the defensive mechanisms of University Park, but the individual fences and cul-de-sacs should help.

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Lets review this NSP2 (Neighborhood Stabilization Program 2) funding. The funding came from the fedseral government to the State of MIchigan. Michigan, as part of their application for funding, formed the Michigan NSP 2 Consortium.

In their July 14, 2009 letter to Secretary Shawn Donovan, Office of Block Grant Assistance, Governor Granholm's office stated:

"The "Michigan NSP2 Consortium", represents an unprecedented coalition of MSHDA serving as Lead Applicant, eight ( 8 ) land Banks and twelve (12) City governments working in a coordinate manner to remove blight and re-position neighborhoods in 93 NSP2-eligible census tracts to be full participants in the economic recovery of MIchigan."

The application requested funding of $32,500,000 for Flint and the Genesee County Land Bank Authority. tracy B. Atkinson signed on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer for the City of Flint. 'The person signing and executing this agreement on behalf of the Consortium Members, do hereby represent and warrant that he/she/or they have been fully authorized by the respective Consortium Member to execute this Agreement on behalf of the Consortium Member and to validly and legally bind this Agreement on behalf of the Consortium Member and to validly and legally bind this Consortium Member to all terms, performances and provisions herein set forth. Normally, one would expect this authorization to have gone through council. It may have, but I don't remember it.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The role of Partner Cities: (per the application NSP2-PTA 087743191)

* Neighborhood Revitalization Planning and Development

* Coordination of City services and resources to leverage NSP2 funds and Achieve ARRA objectives. (

* Direct Project management and/or selection and oversight of approved developers and/or housing program service providers for:
Housing rehab and development LMMI Buyers and renters in NSP
eligible neighborhoods
25 % set aside for buyers and renters at 50% of AMI
housing counseling

*Compliance reporting to MSHDA

Note; Flint has an embedded MSHDA staff person in the offices of DCED.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:08 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Role of Partner Land Banks:

* Property Acquisitions, Mortgage REO's, tax foreclosures & national Community Stabilization trust Bulk Purchases

* Demolition and Deconstruction

* property disposition to qualified developers

* Land Bank Operations

* compliance reporting to MSHDA

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:13 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

MSHDA, as a quasi-government agency organized under the Michigan Department of Energy Labor and Economic Growth (DELEG) will provide grant management, trsining and technical assistance as well as providing NSP2 monitoring.

This lawsuit may represent a failure of the City to adequately manage their procurement process as well as the management of their developers.

The City issued the work permits to build the foundations on the three land Bank owned properties to an entity owned by Brett russell, a partner in Smith Village Construction. Although Russell has a builders license, the company he pulled the license under did not exist as a corporation until nearly one month after the permits were issued. That raises the issue of whether Russell and his company,as a developer or sub-contractor, had the required performance insurance.

There is also the issue of who gave the authorization to start work on the foundations prior to everything being put in place.

Did Young, on behalf of Smith Village Construction, submit a bill for these services prior to the proper contractual arangements being put in place.

Did Eason authorize the work?

City officials have said the company, Urban Builders, started work too soon, but they should not have walked off because" they knew they would get paid". Other officials have said the workers were fired after they walked off the job.

Young said there were bids for the contractor/builder but Smith Village development (CIG, Strayhorn and DeMaria) did not meet the requirements. Young and Russell were partners in the Smith Village Development until they formed a new company Smith Village Construction when they became he new contractor/developer.

Which entity, the City of the genesee County land Bank, performed the bidding and why was the bidding done after after Metro Housing was shown as a partner.

Where are the contractual documents if both Eason and metro Housing state they have no documentation of the change in status. Did they have the approval of HUD to change deveoplers?

Snyder and MSHDA have some explaining to do.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:36 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Since the city cannot pay Urban Builders from NSP funds and yet at least one city official is assurring they will get paid, what funds will they use?

Will Currie, King and Holmes sue to get paid? Who authorized the start of the foundation work? Contractors don't initiate work on their own.

MSHDA has embedded staff, so did they know what was occurring? Should MSHDA be included in the lawsuit by Smith Village development. What was their role in the changing of the developer from Metro Housing to Smith Village Construction.

When did this mystery bid for developer take place? Was it performed by the Cityor the county Land Bank, as both are partners in the grant?

It does not show in either the county websites for current or past bid postings. Or did the city use their well known faxing of the posting to selected individuals.

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:47 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Start checking purchasing records for heavy duty shredders for the DCED office.

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:18 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Interesting note:

The contractors working on the foundations in Smith Village never wanted to stop work on the project, but they needed to cut their losses. Had they continued they would be owed $300,000 instead of nearly $80,000. It seems the $8 miilion bond was not in place when they were contracted to start work and it is unknown how they will get paid.

The contractors are upset as the money was to jumpstart and enhance the Flint economy and not the Indiana economy where the modulars are being built. Some contractors are telling me modulars or factory built components could have been manufactured in Genesee County.

Complaints being made to HUD about the problems with Smith Village are being laid on the doorstep of MSHDA and the State of Michigan. NSP2 dollars were awarded to the states who then subgranted them. Flint and the Genesee County Land Bank are part of the consortium created by the State of Michigan for the ise of these federal funds. The state is on the hook for monitoring and ensuring these monies are spent in accordance with HUD rules and regulations.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:07 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Governor Snyders office is said to deny the culpability of the state in this matter. According to federal officials they are clearly on the hook and need to pay more attention. There may have been a second person acting as embedded staff in DCED from MSHDA.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Maybe the Governor's office did listen as the review for the EMF is taking only half the allowed time.

Michigan needs to pay attention as the HUD findings on the NSP2 funds, which they are responsible for, are growing and large paybacks are coming.

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:28 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:31 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: POLITICAL PLOY OR DPW DIRECTOR ABDICATING HER DUTIES?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The state has a formula for using the Act 51 monies for local street repairs. Now we are shifting money from pothole laden streets that the city can barely afford to pay to side walks. Homeowner, including the Land bank and others are required by ordinance to maintain their sidewalks. Council disbanFlint City Council members to prioritize sidewalk, street repairs in each ward
Published: Monday, August 15, 2011, 8:40 PM

View full sizeAustin Anthony | The Flint JournalQuanita McLemora, 4, and her brother Jaquan, 1, walk down a cracked sidewalk on Dartmouth Street in Flint on Wednesday.
FLINT, Michigan — Starting this year, each Flint City Council member has a new responsibility: His or her own 185 sidewalk squares.

City Hall is handing over the decision of which sidewalks to repair as the cash-strapped city struggles to manage all of its infrastructure maintenance.

The new initiative gives elected officials more local control over which sidewalks and streets are repaired or paved in each of the city’s nine wards, officials said.

In addition to the sidewalk squares, council members also can prioritize streets that need to be paved in their areas or use some of the state-issued street paving funds to repair even more sidewalks instead, said Kay Muhammad, transportation director for the city.

Each council member will get a set dollar amount for streets for their ward, which differs depending on the streets that need paving, she said.

“This will allow the people’s voices to be heard,” Muhammad said. “(The city) council is a little closer to the public. We’re giving them the opportunity to be the voice of the community.”

Councilman Scott Kincaid said a neighborhood group in his ward did a sidewalk survey, and identified hazards several inches tall in the Circle Drive neighborhood.

Much of Kincaid’s area on the city’s south side isn’t eligible for the federal sidewalk repair grant funds, so he said he’s choosing to use part of the street-paving funds for sidewalk repairs.

“I might not get as many streets done as quickly that way, but ... it improves the quality of life for those neighborhoods,” he said.

Council President Jackie Poplar said she wishes the initiative would have been implemented sooner. She said the city recently paved a street in her 2nd Ward area that’s mostly vacant, while she would have preferred to repair a different street.

“That was a dumb move,” she said.

Poor sidewalks have been an issue in the city of Flint for decades.

Resident John Bradford would like to do more walking around his west side Prospect Street neighborhood, but it’s too much of a hassle these days. Recent knee surgery has the 60-year-old relying on a walker, and it’s too difficult for the small wheels to navigate the jutting concrete, cracks and weeds along the sidewalk on his block.

If he does need to travel more than a house or two away from his front door, Bradford said he and his walker take to the street for a smoother ride.

“I definitely think the sidewalks need to be done,” said Bradford, who said he’s lived in Flint for more than 30 years. “If it were fixed and flat, I’d do more walking.”

In the past, the transportation department and the mayor’s administration chose the streets and sidewalks for repair based on a rating system and complaints, Muhammad said.

But with the city’s budget constraints, Flint currently doesn’t have the resources to address all the residents’ concerns.

“We don’t really have enough money to take care of all the problems we have in streets and sidewalks,” City Administrator Gregory Eason told the council last week. “Instead of having the administration dictate how to use the dollars, we want to give the city council the flexibility.”

Transportation officials will still handle sidewalks in need of emergency repair.

According to city ordinance, residents are responsible for paying to maintain the sidewalks in front of their homes.

But the city isn’t actively enforcing the ordinance, largely because such attempts failed in past years. The city fixed sidewalks and attempted to collect the cost from the residents, even going so far as to place liens on their properties, but the program wasn’t effective, officials said.

“We were forcing people to do their sidewalks that didn’t have the finances to do it,” said Kincaid. “This is an opportunity for us to go in and replace the sidewalks at no cost to them.”

State law says the city has a responsibility for ensuring all the public sidewalks are safe for travel.

Any trip-and-fall is a liability, especially if the sidewalk juts over 2 inches high — the state’s threshold for a serious hazard.

A 2008 Flint Journal report showed the city had paid more than $1.3 million in lawsuit claims since 1999 to people who said they were hurt while walking on the city’s crumbling sidewalks.

In the past three months alone, the city has had at least three complaints from attorneys who said their clients were injured on Flint’s sidewalks or streets, according to city documents.

Councilman Dale Weighill said he’s looking forward to working with the mayor’s office on the 7th Ward’s streets and sidewalks.

“I think this is great,” he said. “I get calls all the time from people who want their sidewalks and streets repaired.”

haseen August 15, 2011 at 9:31PM
Follow

OH MY!!! How to handle city money we have the best Eason and Poplar and Kincaid all you need is the Buchanan Bunch and away we go. Hey let's try to help Flint and not pick the bones clean. Pride should start at the top. That does not mean hiring relatives.

LTJAR August 15, 2011 at 10:18PM
Follow

Its funny Haseen, They just cut all over in the Streets DPW because they cant get enough guys to come in on overtime. so now that aronld brown, donna poplar, greg eason , and kay mahommad can not manage money they want to shift the blame on city council. they should just hire more temporay workers, more relatives, and maybe get 5 more foremans and they might beable to money manage a little more. so now with city council running sidewalk and street repairs you have 13 IDIOTS plus walling we dont know what to classify him as yet nooooooo body will beable to manage anything because what the terrible 4 havnt stolen yet, the city council will steal therst. goodbye city of flint nice knowing you. you are being led by a bunch of ex-cons, crackheads and thieves.

m8znblu August 15, 2011 at 10:57PM
Follow

Now ther can sweep away all of the body chalk outlines

hughgardon August 15, 2011 at 11:45PM
Follow

I know how they can save money - stop sending out 9 guys to replace a few pieces of concrete. I saw it one day. It was ridiculous.

fedupinflint August 16, 2011 at 8:11AM
Follow

Why not provide property tax credit to those that repair their own to city standards ?

LiveNow August 16, 2011 at 8:50AM
Follow

Which city councilman is going to sponsor the bill to repeal the city's law that citizens take care of the public sidewalks in front of their homes -- which is in direct contradiction to state law?

What idiots passed that city ordinance? It makes no sense. As a homeowner why should I bear responsibility personally for a city sidewalk in front of my home?

I hope one of the council members will step forward and get this ridiculous ordinance off the books.

robtjohnson August 16, 2011 at 9:31AM
Follow

The East Side Farm fields have nice new side walks I noted that all the empty lots are getting new side walks and the homes that are still there in most cases are not.. I noted that in one care the replace 5 or 6 squares skipped an entire crumbled 10 squares and then did more.. Now why if you are there would you not do the entire job. and Why so many in in places no one uses. this City is in Need of Real dept heads and planning. and it needs Leadership. There is no reason to have any over time for street and sidwalk repairs that crap of Saturday and Sunday is for the birds I note that on the County also.. what is up with this Place??? waste of Money is not a problem here. you got spare cash they can get rid of it for you.

Inappropriate? Alert us.Reply Post new

beretta92fs August 16, 2011 at 3:34PM
Follow

Thank you "robtjohnson", i'm not the only one who's noticed the sidewalks in front of the vacant lots. The sidewalk in front of my house is swelled up and buckled and cracked, someone is going to trip and fall and hurt themselves, then comes the lawsuits, who's liable the city or me? I've complained several times and nothing happens. My taxes are current,(they've never been late), it seems the administrators could use some logic and take care of safety hazards first.

beretta92fs August 16, 2011 at 3:19PM
Follow

As just about any motorist will tell you after driving down the streets of the Eastside of Flint, it would be nice (euphoric!) to not have to drive around pedrestrians, they have gotten so they walk right down the middle of the street and 'flip' you off for interferring with their 'strut'! I really think if the walkways were repaired over here, all of us motorists, who pay for the privilege of using the streets, through registrations, taxes, etc; would be very grateful.

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:00 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I have been told that Muhammed has handed her street duties over to Arnold Brown. Brown is very capable in his duties with sanitation and other 12th street jobs. However, he is a contract employee having already retired from the City of Flint. What if council fails to renew his contract? Will he have to learn the state laws regarding Act 51 and streets. If he screws up, possibly because he has been given too many job responsibilities, will the heat be off Muhammed?

But remember her aunt by marriage, Jackie Poplar, says Muhammed is the greatest!

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The video of the last Council meetings show council telling Muhammed they will not assume her duties. Some anger at the department telling the public to call their council person. They noted they do not have the trianing nor the skills to evaluate the condition of the roads and sidewalks.

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:34 am
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Water & Sewer bill increases

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

New bill for 08/12/2011 to 09/13/2011 for ONE UNIT went to $51.42 from $38.09, a 35 percent increase! Must be true that average family's will top $111.00 as someone stated to city council at an open meeting.

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

My bill was $121.55 & a neighbor got one for $140.00
If we eat less so we can pay the bill, it'll mean less flushing & that could lower the bill a bit.

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

If it's Yellow let it Mellow..

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Does this explain the water rate increases?

Flint using water, sewer funds for grant-funded Smith Village housing project
Published: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 1:45 PM Updated: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 3:18 PM
Kristin Longley | Flint Journal By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

SMITH VILLAGE.JPGView full sizeRyan Garza | The Flint JournalWorkers from S.L. Walker & Sons LLC work on clearing trees and stumps out of a lot at the corner of Williams and Root Streets in Flint in September 2011 as part of the process for starting the new Smith Village neighborhood.

FLINT, Michigan — The city of Flint is dipping into its cash-strapped water and sewer funds for the Smith Village housing development, even though about $16 million in federal stimulus grants were earmarked for the project.

The Flint City Council this week approved spending $767,000 for water main work and tap-in fees for the first wave of houses that are expected to be built before the new year.

The city using water and sewer funds because it doesn’t have enough grant funding to cover all the infrastructure work, City Administrator Gregory Eason told council members this week.

That didn’t sit well with several council members, including Councilman Scott Kincaid, who said he supports the project, but doesn’t think the city should be responsible for connecting the houses to the water and sewer system — an expense property owners usually cover.

“There should have been something in that (grant) money to compensate us,” Kincaid said. “I just want to make sure we’re using grant dollars whenever possible.”

Flint residents this month were hit with a 35 percent increase in their water and sewer rates. The rate hike was due to a number of factors, including Detroit raising its rates to the city and decreased fund balances in the water and sewer accounts.

Councilman Joshua Freeman said using the water and sewer funds is a “hard pill to swallow” for residents and said he hopes the city won’t be dipping into the funds again.

“That well’s dry,” he said. “There’s nothing there.”

Eason said that if the city hadn’t had “hundreds of thousands” of grant dollars withheld by the federal government because of past mistakes, the city would have had enough to cover the tap-in fees.

Eason didn’t specify how much of the stimulus dollars were disallowed and the Flint Journal was unable to reach him for comment Thursday.

He said if the city doesn’t finish the project, it would have to repay the $1.3 million the city spent on the project a decade ago.

“We have this opportunity now and we want to take advantage of it,” he told council members.

The council approved Diponio Contracting of Shelby Township for the infrastructure work. The company was the lowest of four bidders.

Councilman Bernard Lawler said the Smith Village project would be a great asset to the city.

Completing the development would help “right the wrongs” of the past, he said, referring to 13 years ago when the city started the project but never completed it to federal standards.

“We need some successes for this city. We need some wins for this city,” he said. “I don’t think we have a choice but to bite the bullet and move forward.”

ic23b September 29, 2011 at 3:34PM
Follow

Incredible waste of money, not just Federal money but now City money. With leadership like his there is no wonder why Flint is broke. Another slap in the face to the citizens of Flint.

1baddude September 29, 2011 at 3:42PM
Follow

Get the money from the Concerned Pastor's

shirlsz
shirlsz September 29, 2011 at 3:46PM
Follow

Everyone in Flint should pay their water bill and deduct the increase! This mayor needs to go!

bearking55
bearking55 September 29, 2011 at 4:13PM
Follow

City is full of EMPTY Houses yet we force the few taxpayers left to pay to build more houses.

and I sure feel good about having paid my own tap in fee now that I see I'm being forced to pay these rich developers tap in fees for them too!

and WHY does the City's Water Sewer fund have almost a MILLION Extra dollars to give them?????? JUSTIFY YOUR RATES NOW!

mistersmith158
Man Up September 29, 2011 at 5:21PM
Follow

WOW what a joke of a move by Flint. This seems to be another story that highlights the misuse of funds that the city gets and spends. 16 Million $s earmarked for this project, and the city has blown it where? I agree with Mr. Kincaid, and his is 100% right that the new homeowners or the developer should pay these costs. Its a direct benefit to them; not all the rest of the city. It smells like a loser project anyway; slash money pit. I thought the size and population of Flint was contracting? Where are these new home buyers coming from in this down depressed economy? Anyone know how cheap you can buy an existing home for? Less than you can build one new! You do the math shoppers.
Oh and feel bad about the hard luck story from city administrator Eason; we would have had the money if we had not got caught making "mistakes." That is a classic quote that should live in Flint infamy.
Flint you are hostages now, as if you don't spend $767,000 now, you will be on the hook for $1.3 million misspent already in years past. Hey lets taut the fact that it has only taken 13 years to get this project done; hold your head high down there city council; bravo!! Councilman Lawler you are really on some crazy Koolaid if you think that you can attache the work "success" to this whole mess in any way.
I read this horrible article, and it even hard to get my head around the facts here. $16 millions was already spent? 1.3 million at risk from??? $767,000 now being added to what total? What and where was all the money spent? I see in the Smith Village website that the original plan was 169 homes, but as of May 2011 is slated for 83 homes. If the 16 million is infrastructure improvements only, that comes to $192,771 per house that Flint paid to sell a house there. The houses there are now advertised to be between $69,900 and $89,900 per house. Now my math skills tells meet that is a Gross profit to the builder of only $7,387,000, and that will likely make a pre-tax profit to them of $3.3million or so. Anyone gathering all these facts in their head yet? YOU taxpayer paid almost double the gross profit to the developer, so they could make a few million dollars. They take no risk and get all the profit. Now to top it all off, they want you to give them sewer and water services to all the houses to the tune of $9240 per house. I just simply took the $767,000 and divided it by 83. This all sounds so bizarre that I am not sure why there is no federal or state criminal investigations going on into this scam. Bend over Flint you're taking it again apparently.

DWCBOB September 29, 2011 at 5:53PM
Follow

Did they dump the leaves upwind of downtown to cover up the stench coming out of city hall?

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

No it doesn't fully explain the water rate increases.

I have to agree with the comment, "This all sounds so bizarre that I am not sure why there is no federal or state criminal investigations going on into this scam." Only I wouldn't be so sure there isn't a criminal investigation going on about this, and other city subjects. I hope there are, and sooner rather than later.

Two exhorbitant increases in water and sewer rates in the past year, and then using water and sewer funds for other than intended purposes (oh, and by the way, have all the judgments against the water and sewer funds been paid in full yet?), and these funds are paying for a project that's supposed to be funded by a grant stinks to high heaven of fraud on multiple levels! There is nothing that justifies such a misuse of funds. And the perpetrators should be removed from their positions. Any replacement personnel should be certified and qualified to fill the position. All city accounts should be audited, too.

It's too bad some city council members are so gullible they will approve anything Eason says.

On a smaller scale, it makes me think of a poor person who comes into some money and immediately goes out and buys an overpriced used vehicle only to find it needs repairs they don't have any money left to pay for. And the other delinquent bills they didn't pay with the bonus are so far behind they have to file bankruptcy and they lose the vehicle and everything else anyway. So much for the nice sum of money they could have done so much more with.

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:15 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

HUD refused to expend any money on the project until the City showed they were working in Smith Village, When the contractors went to HUD about not getting paid, they were told to contact MSHDA as the State of Michigan was the pass through for the federal money. Neighborhood Stabilization Program 2 (NSP2) money was applied for by the states who then gave distributed the money. Flint and Genesee County was part of the State of Michigan consortium that received a record amount of money and MSHDA is the agency responsible for overseeing the spending of the money.

MSHDA has had an embedded staff person through Capital Access placed in DCED and may have added a second person. The State of Michigan is responsible to HUD for any misspent money by Flint, especially that caused by a lack of monitoring by the state..

Complaints made to the OIG are not being aggressively acted on despite numerous violations of HUD rules.

Obama and the Federal government need the Stimulus and Recovery plans to succeed. Federal monitors under the Clinton administration were told to leave certain democratic mayors alone. Is now any different? Could walling be using his democratic friends to cover up their misdeeds?

Some are speculating that this contract for excavating may have a built in cushion to help pay the contracts that have been left unpaid? Watch the invoices.

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 am
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Channel 5 is covering the Smith Village fiasco
page 1

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Not on their web page yet, but Tia Eweing sure did rip into Eason on the 5:00 news. Thank you channel 5 and Tia. Keep it up!!!

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:25 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The video is now on WNEM TV 5 . Good job Tia! Tomorrow at 5 pm is the continuation.

The key remark for me was when the attorney for CIG, after viewing the video of charles Young Jr , remarked that Young was not representing the City of Flint and had signed paperwork to be a partner of CIG. Young alleges there was a bid process and CIG did not meet the criteria. How can that be when Young, as the agent of the new entity Smith Village Development LLC, submitted to Metro Development the required documentation to be the contractor/builder.

In my opinion this lawsuit will cost the city more than payment to CIG. What about HUD repayments?

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Everyone I have spoken to about the show remarked how tough Tia was with Greg Eason and they loved it. Now I find out the Bigwigs at Channel 5 believe Tia was too tough on Eason. People are tired of the media sucking up to politicians and want real answers.

My advice to Tia is to keep a copy of this series for when you get a shot at a bigger market. It is golden!

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:11 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Tia was on FOX66 News at 10 with this story, too. She could set her sights on something like FOX Detroit's Hall of Shame segment. http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/subindex/news/hall_of_shame

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:13 pm

ins&out
F L I N T O I D

Curry is actually the one who tipped Tia & channel 5 to the story... Wait until they reveal that 80% of the funds for the first 25 homes is being sent to Indiana and Champion Inc. & Young is the sole purchaser of all materials on the project leaving subs with no profit margin.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Everyone I have spoken to about the show remarked how tough Tia was with Greg Eason and they loved it. Now I find out the Bigwigs at Channel 5 believe Tia was too tough on Eason. People are tired of the media sucking up to politicians and want real answers.

My advice to Tia is to keep a copy of this series for when you get a shot at a bigger market. It is golden!

What are they afraid of, losing their tax bereaks for the Flint studio?

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:27 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

quote:
ins&out schreef:
Curry is actually the one who tipped Tia & channel 5 to the story... Wait until they reveal that 80% of the funds for the first 25 homes is being sent to Indiana and Champion Inc. & Young is the sole purchaser of all materials on the project leaving subs with no profit margin.

Word on the street for a long time was that Champion had at least a $2 million contract.

Weren't the homes built on Chippewa modulars too, but from a different company. I loved the ranch home and it was far more spacious than these homes will be. They even cost less.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I emailed Tia Ewing about the post here that the wheels at channel 5 thought she was too hard on Eason. With her permission, here is her reply.

"You can post this on my behalf...just let them know this was based on an e-mail conversation.

Was I hard in my story on people? Yes. I won't apologize for that, because innocent disadvantaged people are the ones who will suffer. What about the people who wanted to live in Flint in a brand new home...that never thought it would happen? A home built in the city, not Indiana...from the ground up! It is our role as media to be tough. Poltical figures can be friends of ours and such. However, when it's time to advocate for the people it isn't about that, it's about doing what's right. I grew up poor and disadvantaged so I know the strain and pain "the little guys" feel. I follow my heart and in this series that's what I am doing, I can't apologize or soften up because I fight for the people!

-Tia"

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:03 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote

ins&out
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

quote:
ins&out schreef:

Word on the street for a long time was that Champion had at least a $2 million contract.

Weren't the homes built on Chippewa modulars too, but from a different company. I loved the ranch home and it was far more spacious than these homes will be. They even cost less.

Close, its $100k per home so 2.5mill. Remember the budget is roughly $135k per build. Many have said $180 per build which is not true after you subtracted grids, titles, admin fees, streets etc.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:38 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The $180 k figure came from City of Flint documents that were online. Does your figure include garages, landscaping, fences and patos? Or have they lowered the cost of the homes?

Also this figure was used publicly in meetings by the administration.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:40 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

In March of this year, the developer records showed $195 k per house. They were to have central air, copper plumbing and other amenities.

Is the use of modulars lowereing the cost of the homes and have the amenities changed. You cannot remove the development costs of a home to attempt to make the cost of the home more palatable o Flint taxpayers. It is all coming out of the same pool of money.

Years later, city of Flint still trying to create Smith Village subdivision
Published: Sunday, March 06, 2011, 4:28 PM Updated: Monday, March 07, 2011, 9:57 AM

View full sizeMatt Dixon | The Flint JournalAfter a decade of little progress, Smith Village now consists of mostly vacant lots and a few homes on Root Street in Flint. Using $16 million, Flint officials plan to build 80 houses here in the only major residential building project in Genesee County this year.
FLINT, Michigan — The failed Smith Village project started 13 years ago with good intentions and uplifting promises: luxury homes and a revitalized neighborhood in the heart of the city of Flint.

But it never happened, apart from a lonely row of six homes built just off North Saginaw Street.

Now, the city is trying for a do-over. Same good intentions and same promises, but hoping for a different outcome.

The “new” Smith Village is expected to be the only new subdivision built this year in all of Genesee County — not surprising given the recession and depressed housing market.

Using federal grant money, at least 83 new three- and four-bedroom homes are planned for the mostly vacant neighborhood just north of downtown Flint and across Saginaw Street from University Park Estates.

The question is: Will anyone buy them?

“With this particular housing market, I think that’s something you always have to be concerned with,” said Doug Weiland, executive director of the Genesee County Land Bank. “But ... when you look at
these particular houses, because they will be in the only real new subdivision, I think we’ll be drawing attention from people.”

The city and Land Bank are partnering to spend more than $16 million in federal grant money to finish the development, hailed as a charming community complete with new driveways, sidewalks, light posts, trees and newly paved streets.

At least half of the homes will be sold to low-income buyers and down-payment assistance will be available.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said the subdivision will help meet demand for housing within walking distance of downtown Flint. A study by the Downtown Development Authority showed a need for more than 250 housing units in the greater downtown area, he said.

“The regional housing market is shifting and more students and professionals and seniors are looking for a downtown urban living environment,” he said. “The occupancy rates in all of downtown
illustrate this demand is real.”

But some say the problems that hindered Smith Village the first time around still exist — and might be even worse on the heels of a nationwide recession.

There’s a surplus of 27,000 homes in the county and “the last thing government should be doing is adding to the housing stock,” said Barry Simon, consultant with the Builders Association of Metro Flint.

Other communities have little to no new residential building going on. The city of Burton, for example, has had one residential new build permit so far this year. Flushing, Mt. Morris and Davison haven’t had any.

Throughout the county, newer subdivisions sit partially finished because of the local economy, Simon said.

"There’s no housing market. There’s absolutely zero housing market. It just does not exist,” he said. “Let’s get real: This is idiocy.”

Housing values have fallen more than 30 percent since 2005, Simon said, and nearly 7,000 properties are sliding into foreclosure.

Despite the skepticism, city officials are pressing forward with the project, in large part because Smith Village is more than just another new development. It’s another chance for the city to complete the government project, started in 1998 with a grant from the U.S.
Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The city completed the nearby University Park with the grant funds, but didn’t sell the required number of homes to low-income families — which the city said it would do in the never developed Smith Village.

Over the years, city officials talked of restarting Smith Village, but nothing ever happened.

But now there’s an extra incentive. Unless the project is completed, the federal government is threatening to force the city to repay $1.3 million, some of the money originally given to the city for Smith Village. That’s money officials say the cash-strapped city can’t afford to pay.

Flint resident Chris Del Morone isn’t happy that a large portion of the city’s $25 million federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program phase two grant money is being spent on Smith Village.

“Money is being taken from other tracts of the city,” Del Morone told the Flint City Council recently.

With or without the feds’ ultimatum, officials said the new subdivision still makes sense for Flint.

“We can improve the core of the city,” City Administrator Gregory Eason said of the project. “There may be an opportunity for (city residents) to move into a better home that may not cost them more than what they’re living in right now.”

The first phase of the Smith Village plan is already under way, led by project developer Metro Community Development, a Flint-based nonprofit.

Officials hope to break ground in May, and have the first 43 houses built by December. The target end date is December 2012.

The development is being touted as “high-quality” homes with picturesque streetscapes, front porches and rear patios.
View full sizeMatt Dixon | The Flint JournalA sign for Smith Village stands in front of an empty lot on the corner of Williams Street and Saginaw Street in Flint. Smith Village is expected to be the only new subdivision in Genesee County this year. The project has been ongoing for more than a decade, and there's only a few houses that have been built.

Officials point to the success of University Park Estates, the 160-home subdivision started at the same time as Smith Village, as proof that the concept can work.

But University Park buyers got different incentives for moving into the subdivision than prospective Smith Village buyers will.

University Park homes were sold at market rate, but the homes were in a Renaissance Zone, meaning homeowners didn’t have to pay property taxes for 12 years.

Smith Village buyers, on the other hand, would not get the advantage of the Renaissance Zone, since it’s expiring next year. But the homes will be sold for a subsidized price, expected to be about $50,000 to $70,000, depending on the size — although the cost of building the new
subdivision equates to $195,000 per unit, according to the Metro
Community Development website .

“These homes are going to sell at very attractive prices,” Weiland said, adding that more than 1,000 homes were sold in Flint last year. “I recognize a lot of people are skeptical of these kinds of plans,
but this was always planned to be a companion to University Park.

“My expectation is Smith Village will be every bit as nice.”

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:54 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

In the first link the costs of the homes range from $160k to $185 k. This link appears to have been developed by the City of Flint.

to View ... - The New Smith Village Neighborhood | Flint, MI | Housing
The New Smith Village Neighborhood project is funded by the United States ..
http://newsmithvillage.com/partners.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pagesThe New Smith Village Neighborhood project is funded by the United States ...
http://newsmithvillage.com/partners.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

This second link shows what I believe to be one of the original redevelopment plans as it includes University Park . It shows 97 townhouses and 63 single family homes. It also addresses homes to be rehabilitated.

RM.NlO2 URBAN RENEWAL PLAN FOR THE SMITH ... - City of Flint
Pnoplzmy of DCED. H01 S.SAqiNAW ST. RM.NlO2. URBAN RENEWAL PLAN. FOR THE. SMITH VILLAGE URBAN RENEWAL AREA. City of Flint, Michigan ...
http://www.cityofflint.com/DCED/pdf/Smith_Village_Redevelopment_Plan.pdf -

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:43 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

News - Flint Housing Commission
Flint, MI 48506. Phone: (810) ... View and Download The Flint Housing Commission's ... We are now Proud Partner of the Smith Village Redevelopment Plan ...
http://www.flinthud.org/News.htm - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Is Flint Housing commission still a partner? In this December 2010 plan, they were to cultivate buyers for low-income set-aside and down payment/closing cost assistance.

Genesee County Land Bank had the role of property acquisition, planning and processing, which may explain why land bank crews are removing trees, etc.

Additionally the proposed development costs of '83 high quality homes with an average of 1,650 square feet" is $ 16 million and the "Total Appraisal Gap Subsidy needed is $11,672,500.

These documents were developed by the City of Flint as the Project Sponsor.

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:08 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Young was definitely surprised when Tia showed him the stop work order he sent to Urban Builders. I have been told that the company walked off when they were told they would not get paid and then Young fired them. That may be what he referred to when he asked Tia about the e-mail prior to the cease work.

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:34 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Word is that Eason is being very vocal about his anger that this lawsuit surfaced. He has threatened to get even with whoever put it on the internet and says he knows who it is. Hey OOSL2 I guess that means you and I.

Got to be another of Eason's worst kept secrets. Just like all of the times he swore his staff to secrecy about development plans and then he announced them to some groups.

When Eason and Averyhardt had a sweetheart deal going, neither could keep it a secret. Then Eason wanted to blame everyone for "letting the cat out of the bag". Even the streets know who called Salem Housing, but Eason still blames the wrong people.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:11 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Channel 5 is covering the Smith Village fiasco
page 2

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I wonder if Eason's anger extends to Mike Killbreaths Crusader News and Channel 5 as they both reported the story. A story like this would never stay hidden forever.

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:37 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Borrowed his from facebook:

The Ryan Eashoo Show Tia Ewing of WNEM TV 5 news stands up for the people of Flint and asks the tough questions. Ofcourse City Officials ( Mr. Eason ) has no comment....
Thursday at 6:12pm · Unlike · 5 people.

Sally Haywood-leonard Tia Ewing is the only media person with the chutzpah to attack this issue.
Thursday at 7:27pm · Like · 3 people.

The Ryan Eashoo Show Yes she didn't take any shit from Eason either! She stood up for the viewers and residents of Flint. I like that in a woman!
Thursday at 10:15pm · Like · 4 people.

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:27 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Tia of Channel 5 update Monday night on asking the tough questions interviewed 4 construction workers interviewed on June 6 who were promised jobs working in Smith Village/ After taking tests and becoming Section 3 certified, they found out through Channel 5, the work was going to Indiana.

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The real tragedy in the Smith Village saga is that the stimulus money was supposed to provide jobs for the Flint area. Instead of the houses being built here the modulars are coming out of Indiana. Many of the contracts have gone to Detroit companies.

Flint spent money but the procurement system was not right. The 4 builders shown on Channel 5 were the owners of local companies that had taken the time to learn the rules on hiring low and moderate income employees to work on these federal projects. This would have been a tremendous boost to the underemployed and unemployed construction workers of Genesee County.

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:13 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Jackie Poplar in the "hot seat"?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

There was a letter also printed in the CPSA Courier signed by Jackie Poplar, condeming Buchanan and Smith while showing support for Walling.

Posted on Sept. 27, 2011 by Crusader News Service Copyright©2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAIL TIME DEMANDED
Bobby Johnson Demands Jail Time for
Flint City Council President Over Her
Walling Endorsement from Council Chambers

BY MIKE KILLBREATH
Crusader News Service
Publisher & Executive Editor

Flint City Council President Jackie Poplar has more troubles to deal with after criminal charges were demanded Monday night by political activist Bobby Johnson. He cited Michigan campaign finance laws that prohibit public officials from using city resources to promote or endorse candidates for public office. Johnson, a mayoral candidate for the 2011 race until endorsing Scott Smith last spring, insisted to city council members that Poplar should be removed from office and arrested for an incident earlier this year when she endorsed Flint Mayor Dayne Walling's re-election bid during a city council meeting.

Johnson said he does not support Mayor Walling or Darryl Buchanan in the upcoming Nov. 8 general election. They finished ahead of Smith in a seven-candidate primary field to get on the ballot. "I am not going away because I intend to keep fighting for residents," Johnson told council members.

Johnson's tirade was part of a "Storm City Hall" event he promoted with Smith on Facebook to get residents to show up Monday night to protest high water bills, high taxes and a lack of police protection. Smith told Crusader News Service via text that he had planned to go, but was confined to his house after he "threw his back out earlier in the day." Residents spent more than two hours parading to the podium to blast the mayor and council members for making cuts to public safety in a city that is now ranked by the FBI as the most dangerous in America for crime. Click Here for Residents Storm City Hall Story

Flint City Attorney Peter Bade made no comments about the demands by Johnson for removal of Poplar and no city council members reacted. The latest problem for Poplar follows a series of troubles for her since being elected to represent the city's 2nd Ward. Click Here for Story on Jackie's Poplar's Past Problems

F. Anthony Lubkin, Corporate Attorney for FAME NEWSPAPERS and AM ADVANTAGE, confirmed that Johnson is correct in his assertion that Poplar violated the Michigan Campaign Finance Act by her actions. Lubkin said the council president spouting political views from the council chambers to endorse a candidate during an election campaign subjects her to criminal prosecution. Lubkin said Section 169.257(1) of Michigan Compiled Laws states that "a public body or an individual acting for a public body shall not use or authorize the use of funds, personnel, office space, computer hardware or software, property, stationery, postage, vehicles, equipment, supplies, or other public resources to make a contribution or expenditure or provide volunteer personal services."

Lubkin also cited a November 2006 opinion by former Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land when she went a step further to clarify the intent of the state legislature's act. Her opinion ruled: "It is imperative to maintain strict government neutrality in elections in order to protect the integrity of the democratic process. State and local units of government and their elected officials and employees, share a heightened duty to safeguard public resources from misuse for political purposes. The (Michigan Campaign Finance Act) is only one part of the state's comprehensive statutory scheme that prohibits a public body from participating in political campaigns."

Government meetings are open to the public under the Sunshine Act's freedom of information statutes passed by the United States Congress in 1976. The law also requires sufficient posting for notification of government meetings, as well as certain advertising requirements within newspapers. The Flint City Council uses the Flint Journal for its legal notices and copies are available for the newspaper of record at the Flint Public Library. Johnson said minutes published for the meeting where Poplar acted illegally do not reflect what she said in the official record kept by City Clerk Inez Brown and published as required by the statute.

Johnson said he secured a CD of the proceedings to prove Poplar's comments from the telecast of the council meeting on Comcast Cablevision's Channel 17 public access station. He said he will ask for a legal opinion on whether or not Brown broke the law when failing to add Poplar's comments to the official record that was published as required by state law.

A similar case made national headlines last May when the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association protested such behavior as illegal. Melissa Melewsky, media law counsel of the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, stressed in her opinion that a Sunshine Act meeting is "not an appropriate place for campaigning."

"Ultimately, it's not a forum for campaigning," she said. "It is a forum for public business. It's really for dealing with the business of the agency, not the business of elected officials."

Jennifer Granholm, while serving as Michigan Attorney General, clarified election law disputes over prosecution in a December 1999 ruling that The "legislature has provided that county prosecuting attorneys shall, in their respective counties, prosecute all civil and criminal matters in which the state or county may be interested" by Michigan Compiled Laws Section MCL 49.153. Granholm's opinion added that "nothing contained in the (Michigan Campaign Finance Act) diminishes the authority of county prosecutors to prosecute crimes committed in their respective counties."

The county prosecutor for Genesee County is David Leyton. A request for comment was sent to him via e-mail, but his office has not yet responded. Lubkin said Leyton's office can bring charges only after a warrant is requested by a police agency.

Lubkin revealed that City Ordinance 2632 passed on May 8, 1978 by the Flint City Council states that "all persons and entities taking political action involving the Charter of the City of Flint shall be required to comply with Act 388 of the Public Acts of 1975, being MCLA §§ 169.201 et seq. and MSA §§ 4.1703(1) et seq., which is known as the Campaign Financing Act." Violating the ordinance leaves Poplar facing forfeiture of office and removal for cause, according to Lubkin, under Section 1-603(c) of the Flint City Charter adopted by voters in 1974. The section says: "Any resident of the City may petition an appropriate court to require the City Council to hold a public hearing on the forfeiture of an office if the City Council has reasonably refused to proceed."

Section 1-603(a) of the Flint City Charter says: "The City Council shall declare the forfeiture of the office of any elective officer or appointee and may remove for cause any person appointed to an office for a fixed term. In every case there shall be a public hearing before the City Council with notice published in the same manner as notices of proposed ordinances. A Council member charged with conduct constituting grounds for forfeiture may not participate in the resolution of the charge."

Section 1-603(b) says: "The position of an elective City officer or an appointee shall be forfeited if he or she: (1) Lacks at any time any qualifications required by law or this Charter; or (2) Violates any provisions of this Charter punishable by forfeiture."

Poplar's endorsement pitch for Mayor Walling came when she interupted Johnson during a May 25 public speaking appearance he made before the council. Johnson was critical of Mayor Walling and his administration over extending a towing contract with Complete Towing. Johnson also noted that the extension was never reported by the Flint Journal or any of the local TV stations, adding, "I just need to ask why?

The contract was extended after the city administration had attempted to get council approval for it two weeks earlier. Kevin Smith of Smitty's Towing in Burton spoke to the council then, along with his attorney, who was Lubkin. Smith told the council that he wanted to bid on the work and Lubkin pushed a plan by his client to save the city more than $300,000 annually. "We were also willing to let the city make money off the sale of cars after they are impounded and not picked up," Lubkin said. "My client lives in the city. He employs people in the City of Flint. Further, he has hired minority employees in a city that is perhaps 70 percent black, yet elected city leaders choose to do business with a company that apparently chooses not to hire minority employees."

Lubkin's lobbying resulted in a 5-4 vote to block extending the contract for four years. City Councilman Scott Kincaid argued that it was a good deal for the city to "lock in" a price for four years and led a 6-3 vote to reverse the decision two weeks later when Lubkin was not there. "I'm not sure what happened," said Lubkin, who insisted there was no rush to get a deal done except for political reasons. "My client certainly questions why there was such a rush to get an extension to a contract without opening it up to bids," Lubkin said. The contract was opposed by Mike Sarginson, Sheldon Neeley and Bernard Lawler. Councilmen Bryant Nolen and Delrico Lloyd reversed their no votes from two weeks earlier on the original 5-4 vote, allowing the contract to be extended when they voted with Kincaid, Josh Freeman, Dale Weighill and Poplar.

Complete Towing won a lawsuit against the city after former Mayor Don Williamson refused to pay for services and opened a city impound lot. Cultural Village Voice reported in May 2010 that the city-run operation generated $2.41 million in revenue, according to Williamson. The figure was confirmed by City Treasurer Doug Bingham, who said it was "actually a little more than that figure."

Mayor Walling and his top city administrator, Gregory Eason, disputed the figure during a heated debate eight months later at a meeting of the North End Block Club. Mayor Walling said Williamson's figures were untrue and said the city treasurer was mistaken to confirm it. He and Eason also denied then that 59 police officers were being paid for by grants when debating a laid-off police officer. The figure cited by the officer was later confirmed as accurate after he told Eason: "We will agree to disagree but my numbers are coming from the union president."

Johnson told council members Monday night that it "made absolutely no sense" to close the city-operated impound lot when it made more than $1 million per year in profit. Councilman Freeman made a brief comment after Johnson left the speaker podium, saying, "The city never made $1 million from the impound lot."

Budget figures obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request from the Ryan Eashoo Show on FlintTalkRadio.com confirmed the numbers reported by Williamson in the Cultural Village Voice story.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:59 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

"Lubkin's lobbying resulted in a 5-4 vote to block extending the contract for four years. City Councilman Scott Kincaid argued that it was a good deal for the city to "lock in" a price for four years and led a 6-3 vote to reverse the decision two weeks later when Lubkin was not there. "I'm not sure what happened," said Lubkin, who insisted there was no rush to get a deal done except for political reasons. "My client certainly questions why there was such a rush to get an extension to a contract without opening it up to bids," Lubkin said. The contract was opposed by Mike Sarginson, Sheldon Neeley and Bernard Lawler. Councilmen Bryant Nolen and Delrico Lloyd reversed their no votes from two weeks earlier on the original 5-4 vote, allowing the contract to be extended when they voted with Kincaid, Josh Freeman, Dale Weighill and Poplar."

Kincaid was with Patton at the Greek Asumption Church Dinner fundraiser and they are said to be good friends. Eric Mays has said that Patton spent over $7,500 to finance the recall attempt of former mayor Williamson.

Did deep pockets influence the vote?

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:04 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Jackie Poplar was nearly kicked out of her bankruptcy before completion because of non payment issues. An attorney went to the hearing and pled "hardship" to give her more time to complete the bankruptcy.

Could this be why she was made council president as the president gets a modest pay bump. What other assistance was she given to help resolve her hardship issues.

I personally find it difficult to take what this woman has to say about the financial situation of the City when it is apparent her own household cannot manage theirs. She has been in bankruptcy protection since prior to her election until recntly this year.

Also, after listening to this woman speak, I cannot believe she wrote the Courier letter and I wonder who in the administration wrote it for her.

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 am
Post Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: HAS SMITH VILLAGE STALLED AGAIN?
page 1

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Remember the news story where Smith Village was changing developers and Charles Young and some newly formed companies were working diligently to build these homes in Smith Village. Well after hearing rumors from all sides of the city that construction had stalled because the construction crews had been told they wouldn't get paid, I began driving around the construction site.

The flurry of activity has ceased and only yellow caution tape around the holes dug for the basements remain. The construction vehicles are gone, except for a crew doing demolition on Avenue A.

City of Flint hires new Smith Village developer under deadline
Published: Sunday, July 03, 2011, 10:00 AM

Ryan Garza | The Flint JournalThe Smith Village project is changing developers, but city officials say it won't delay the project. The city has a Dec. 31 deadline to get at least 25 houses built.
FLINT, Michigan — The once-troubled Smith Village housing project is at the center of another city conflict, all while a federal deadline and potential $1.3-million penalty is looming.

After nearly a year of what seemed like forward progress, the city has switched developers — and the former developer and city are pointing fingers as to who’s to blame.

The dispute comes as Flint is already two months behind schedule on its plan to meet a Dec. 31 federal deadline to get 25 houses built at the site, city Administrator Gregory Eason said.

If the city doesn’t meet its deadline, it risks having to pay back $1.3 million in federal grant funding, Eason said.

Still, Eason said the $16-million project is moving forward and is scheduled to break ground within two weeks.

“This will be the first time in 15 years this project is actually going to happen,” Eason said. “The city is actually going to make Smith Village a reality.”

But a few Flint City Council members are questioning the change in developers this late in the game.

“I question whether they’ll be able to make that commitment (of 25 houses),” Councilman Joshua Freeman said. “We don’t have 25 buildable lots right now.”

Councilman Bernard Lawler, on the other hand, said he has confidence the project will move forward. Lawler represents the 5th Ward, where the development is located.

The Smith Village project started in 1998 with a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, but only six homes were completed in the area off Saginaw Street north of 5th Avenue.

Under pressure from the feds to get it done, the city restarted the project last year with federal stimulus funds. The ultimate goal is to build 83 homes, with at least half intended for low-income buyers.

Until last week, the nonprofit Metro Community Development was the project developer, but the city council approved hiring Smith Village Construction Services as the new developer last week on the administration’s recommendation.

Both Eason and the former developer said the recent change won’t stymie the project, but they have very different stories on why the switch was made.

Eason said Metro Community Development walked away from the project.

But Ravi Yalamanchi, the nonprofit’s chief executive officer, said it was the city that dropped Metro Community Development.

Neither side said they have anything in writing to prove their respective cases.

The city brought Metro on as developer in August 2010, approved by Metro’s board of directors and the Flint City Council, but a developer agreement was never executed. The city also recently asked Metro to speak at a May 24 community meeting about Smith Village.

Over the past 11 months, the nonprofit developed design specifications for the homes with an engineer and architect, created a website and branded the project as the “New Smith Village” as part of its marketing efforts, Yalamanchi said.

The nonprofit spent more than $110,000 and made “substantial progress in a period of 10 months, which the city has failed to do over 14 years,” he said.

“We spent the money, we got the work done,” he said. “It was completely on good faith and mutual trust.”

But Eason said Metro decided not to continue with the project, which came as a surprise in the face of the looming deadline. He said Yalamanchi was “pretty adamant” about it.

“Why would we pull out when we need him the most?” Eason said. “I was deeply disappointed.”

The one piece that the city and Metro agree on is that the project needs to move forward.

Despite the disagreement, Yalamanchi said he wants the project to be successful. He said the nonprofit has agreed to hand over all the project materials after the city reimburses it for the expenses.

“In no way are we going to obstruct or hinder the development,” he said. “If that corridor is revitalized, it will be a jump start of revitalization for the northern part of the city, which really needs a lot of revitalization.”

The new developer, Smith Village Construction Services, LLC, was just formed on June 8, according to records on the state’s website.

Eason said one of the company’s executives is Charles Young, who runs Operation Unification, a nonprofit that received a $1.3 million contract to rehabilitate Flint homes through the stimulus-funded Neighborhood Stabilization program .

Attempts to reach Young were unsuccessful.

Metro Community Development was already going to hire Young’s company as the general contractor for the project, said Eason and Yalamanchi.

Yalamanchi declined to comment on the city’s choice for its new developer.

Eason said it just made sense to hire the company, since it was familiar with federally funded projects. The city is also continuing on with the architect, FUNchitecture, and project manager Alan Ogle, he said.

Last week, an attorney spoke to the city council about the switch.

“My understanding is the new developer is ready to hit the ground running,” attorney Pat Parker said.

Flint City Councilman Scott Kincaid questioned whether the switch would delay the project, which has hung over the city’s head for more than a decade.

“This is a time sensitive project,” Kincaid said.

Eason said there would be “no delay whatsoever.

In addition to the commitment to build 25 homes by the end of the year, the city has a goal of selling those 25 homes by year’s end, too, he said.

“I’m excited about this,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity in a long time for the city to have high quality affordable housing right in the core of the city.”

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:07 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

This is the name and addresss on the construction trailer located on Williams Street near the construction.

Searched for: URBAN BUILDERS AND DEVELOPERS LLC

ID Num: D5230P

Name:URBAN BUILDERS AND DEVELOPERS LLC

Type: Domestic Limited Liability Company
Resident Agent: JOSIAH CURRY

Registered Office Address: 109 WELCH BLVD FLINT MI 48503
Mailing/Office Address:

Formation/Qualification Date:1-5-2011

Jurisdiction of Origin:MICHIGAN

Managed by: Members

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:14 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Curry, with an office at 4101 Grandview Drive in Flushing is the resident agent of the Limited Liabilty Corporation. While he initiated the process in December of 2010, the corporation was formed on 1/5/2011.

This makes the third corporation that was newly formed to be involved in the construction of these Smith Village Homes, which should be an enormous Red Flag to federal officials. in their trining materials the federal government lists newly formed companies as a warning sign of possible fraud in the Stimulus funding contracts.

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Searched for: SMITH VILLAGE CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, LLC

ID Num: D61591

Name:SMITH VILLAGE CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, LLC

Resident Agent: BRET RUSSELL

Registered Office Address: 2050 WARNER AVE FLINT MI 48503
Mailing/Office Address:

Formation/Qualification Date:6-8-2011

Managed by: Managers

Bret Russel ia a Detroit investor. The adress is that of OU Homes, a for profit part of Operation Unification. Eason stated the Detroit Partner owned 49%.

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:29 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Another newly formed corporation. What role are they playing in all of this?

Searched for: SMITH VILLAGE DEVELOPMENT GROUP, LLC

ID Num: D5729A

Name:SMITH VILLAGE DEVELOPMENT GROUP, LLC

Resident Agent: NEAL STRAYHORN

Registered Office Address: FORD BUILDING 615 GRISWOLD ST STE 1600 DETROIT MI 48226
Mailing/Office Address:

Formation/Qualification Date:3-17-2011

Managed by: Managers

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:31 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Smith Village watchers allege construction began prior to the contract being approved by council. HUD will not pay for work performed prior to the signing of a contract. Allegedly the construction workers left after being informed they would not get paid.

From the City of flint pending invoices.

1106001 8/10/2011 SMITH VILLAGE LLC $107,891.56 DEPARTMENT HOLD COMMUNITY ECONOMIC DEVELOP

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:36 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Money paid to Operation Unification and Charles Young so far.

A0000005256 8/15/2011 OPERATION UNIFICATION INC $52,662.84
A0000004730 7/5/2011 OPERATION UNIFICATION INC $75,438.13
A0000004281 5/31/2011 OPERATION UNIFICATION INC $57,588.02
A0000003497 3/14/2011 OPERATION UNIFICATION INC $28,846.93
A0000003349 2/28/2011 OPERATION UNIFICATION INC $83,154.81
A0000002837 12/27/2010 OPERATION UNIFICATION INC $32,076.94
A0000002367 11/1/2010 OPERATION UNIFICATION INC $82,058.99

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:48 pm

fiveo64
F L I N T O I D

Who is going to be the fall person for this when everything turns upside down?

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Channel 12 is rapidly losing their credibility. They must realize that residents have been watching the sites for over a week and saw the construction crews leave.

Channel 12 reporter Angela did a fluff peace with Lela Johnson of OU Homes (a for profit part of Operation Unification) and talked about new contractors were being sought. No hard questions, no insight and no explanation why new contractors were needed . They promoted the position that the project is on time and adding 5 new homes. Remember Eason said the crews were ready to hit the ground running. So why is no one working now and why are they searching for new crews. They made a comment about contractors picking up documents yesterday and I am not clear as to what that is about. New bid process or what?

Channel 12 personnel were overheard discussing the fights during back to the bricks on the day of the Crim Road race. So obviously Channel 12 knew more about what happened on that day and chose to slant the news. They are doing another cover up here for whatever reasons.

I know a number of people who believe channel 12 would be better off without this reporter and her integrity is questioned. Or is it her bosses that slant the news. Channel 5 and 25 sometimes don't cover Flint and if you can't trust 12, what are the options?

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The owner of Urban Builders and Development does have a Michigan Residential Builders license and has had it for about 13 years!
Licensee Information
Name: CURRY, JOSIAH
DBA Name:
QO/Owner:

Address: Flushing MI 48433
County: Genesee

License Information
License Type: Builder - Individual
License Number: 2101143045
Specialties:
Limitations:
Issue Date: 02/13/1998
Expiration Date: 05/31/2014
Status History Continuing Education

Employed/Managed By
Employer/Manager:

However, there are no records in Michigan Licensing and Regulatory that Charles Young, Operation Unification, or OU Homes has any type of builders license. So whose license are they using? An employees?

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:11 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Since when did such frivolous details like licensing bother anyone at city hall?

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:10 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Josiah Curry is said to be the son of the late Pastor JC Curry, formerly of Macedonia Baptist Church. Pastor Curry was a beautiful and ethical man that I had the greatest respect for. I am sure his son is follows in his path.

Interestingly enough, I am told that Dawn Jones was also related to Pastor Curry.

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:18 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I am now being told that the construction crew was fired after they walked off. I would walk off too over a pay dispute.

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 pm

ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

But Ravi Yalamanchi, the nonprofit’s chief executive officer, said it was the city that dropped Metro Community Development.

Neither side said they have anything in writing to prove their respective cases .

The city brought Metro on as developer in August 2010, approved by Metro’s board of directors and the Flint City Council, but a developer agreement was never executed . The city also recently asked Metro to speak at a May 24 community meeting about Smith Village.

This just shows the quality of our City Government and the professionalism of the contractors that are hired. What government or contractor would not get a contract of this magnitude in writing. It raises the question of whether it is due to ignorance or deceit. Without anything in writing, things can be altered on the fly without anybody being able to question why a contract was altered. There is also no paperwork to be pulled if somebody wants to file a Freedom of Information Act request.

Whether it is ignorance or deceit, it shows that our current City Officials do not deserve the positions that they hold!!!! I hope people remember that at Election time.

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:50 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

quote:
ConcernedCitizen schreef:

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Neither side said they have anything in writing to prove their respective cases .

The city brought Metro on as developer in August 2010, approved by Metro’s board of directors and the Flint City Council, but a developer agreement was never executed . The city also recently asked Metro to speak at a May 24 community meeting about Smith Village.

This just shows the quality of our City Government and the professionalism of the contractors that are hired. What government or contractor would not get a contract of this magnitude in writing. It raises the question of whether it is due to ignorance or deceit. Without anything in writing, things can be altered on the fly without anybody being able to question why a contract was altered. There is also no paperwork to be pulled if somebody wants to file a Freedom of Information Act request.

Whether it is ignorance or deceit, it shows that our current City Officials do not deserve the positions that they hold!!!! I hope people remember that at Election time.

Good catch Concerned Citizen! I completely missed that detail! On September 15, 2011 Metro Housing received a payment. I wonder if HUD will agree that these payments are acceptable without an agreement in place. They usually don't!

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:26 am
Post Mon May 04, 2015 11:11 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

page 2

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Watched Flint City Council meeting of August 24th and add one number 1 was to give over $9 million to Smith Village LLC to pay for the construction of the homes in Smith Village. Freeman advised the audience that the initial contract with Smith Village LLC was for the Developer Fee.

Couldn't Young sacrifice part of his development fee to pay for the earlier construction.

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:20 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Next Wednesdays council is the one to watch. I am told Young had a meeting with the contractors last Wednesday and arrangements are being made to get them paid. They are supposed to be back on the job next Tuesday.

Allegations are the contractors started work to early. I find it hard to believe that experienced contractors would start work without a contract, a start date, and building permits. These three have been around too long for that. Then there is the department hold on the nearly $108,000 to Smith Village Construction LLC.

And what happened to the new contractors that Angela Brown and Lela Johnson said were being hired? This will be fun to see how this plays out/

Can't wait to see how this plays out

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:12 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Went by Smith Village and there were no work crews on site. The Urban Builders sign was off the construction trailer. Kids on their way home from school were jumping over the dig site and if the city thinks that yellow caution tape is protecting them from liability, they are wrong. One adventurous boy was nearly in the hole itself.

How many contractors does it take to build Smith Village? I went to the trailer and read the building permits for the foundations. The owner was shown as the Genesee County Land Bank and the contractor was NSG Development and Builders, 3100 Telegraph Road. The permit numbers were PB 11134, PB11135,and PB 11136. The permits expire on 2/12/2012.

I could not find a corporate listing for NSG at this address, although there were some similar names that were expired. I also could not find a builders license for his company. Of course NSG could be an acronym.

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:54 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Could this be the company that was hired by Metro?

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

NSG = Nab, Steal, & Grab. Represented by the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:03 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Looks like the Land bank owns most of Williams Street!

Owner's Name

Street Address

Parcel Number

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-277-018

VALENCIA, A

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-044

SAUCEDA, ANGELA

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-046

CITY OF FLINT

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-047

CITY OF FLINT

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-048

CITY OF FLINT

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-049

CITY OF FLINT

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-050

SAUCEDA, ANGELA

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-256-002

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-256-009

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-276-046

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-277-016

GENESEE CO COMM ACTION RES

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-282-060

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-277-019

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-277-021

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-278-011

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-278-012

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-279-013

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-280-006

COLTHORP, RUSSELL TRUST

WILLIAMS ST

40-12-276-047

LEE, CHARLES

403 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-043

CITY OF FLINT

423 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-210-051

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

457 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-276-042

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

458 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-280-004

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

461 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-276-043

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

462 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-280-005

BRADLEY, SONYA R

465 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-276-044

HILL, OTHA & RICHMOND, ELA

518 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-281-047

POLK, GEORGIANNA

522 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-281-026

MUNOZ, JORGE

558 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-282-026

COOPER, EARMA

605 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-279-014

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

609 WILLIAMS ST

40-12-279-015

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City of Flint
© 9/6/2011

Best Viewed with IE 7.0 or Firefox

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:37 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The land bank also owns a great deal of the land on Chppewa, some of which is marked for new foundations.

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-235-007

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-021

ANTHONY, FRED SR

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-020

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-019

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-018

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-017

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-016

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-236-003

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-279-006

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-022

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-235-011

SPEED, FREDERIC L

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-236-004

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-487-014

ELIEZER CHURCH APOSTOLIC F

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-433-011

VICKERS, SWEETIE

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-427-002

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-286-011

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-284-009

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-283-011

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-283-010

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-283-009

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-01-283-008

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-235-013

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-279-005

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-025

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-235-014

LAWSON, BILLY & WF BRENDA

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-040

OTTO LIEBOLD & CO INC

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-042

HANDLEY, LYDIA M

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-056

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-279-011

CITY OF FLINT

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-279-027

HOWARD, LILLARDO & HOWARD,

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-279-004

GENESEE COUNTY LAND BANK

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-047

HAWKINS, JACOB JR & WF REM

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-028

BURT, ELLAWAS

CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-278-026

PINSON, JOHN JR & CATHERIN

1013 CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-048

ELBA RD DEVELOPMENT, LLC

1014 CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-283-015

LIEBOLD, OTTO & CO

1025 CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-058

1037 CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-062

1121 CHIPPEWA ST

40-12-282-063

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
How many contractors does it take to build Smith Village? I went to the trailer and read the building permits for the foundations. The owner was shown as the Genesee County Land Bank and the contractor was NSG Development and Builders, 3100 Telegraph Road.
NSG DEVELOPMENT & BUILDING GROUP, LLC
ID Num: D6459A
Name: NSG DEVELOPMENT & BUILDING GROUP, LLC
Registered Office Address: 31000 TELEGRAPH RD #260 BINGHAM FARMS MI 48025
Mailing/Office Address: --
Formation/Qualification Date: 9-6-2011

Verify a License/Registration

Licensee Information
Name: Russell, Bret Alan
Address: Bingham Farms MI48025
County: Oakland

License Information:
License Number: 2101199303
Issue Date: 01/26/2011
Expiration Date: 05/31/2013

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:12 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

OMG! YOU BEAT ME TO IT OOSL! I WAS DOING MY DUE DILIGENCE AND SEARCHED ONE MORE TIME. BUT WHEN I GOT TO FLINT TALK YOU WERE 8 HOURS AHEAD OF ME!

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS GUY FILED THE INCORPORATION THE FIRST BUSINESS DAY AFTER WE PUT THE COMPANY NAME ON THE INTERNET. NO WONDER A SEARCH OF THE COMPANY PRODUCED NOTHING.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
How many contractors does it take to build Smith Village? I went to the trailer and read the building permits for the foundations. The owner was shown as the Genesee County Land Bank and the contractor was NSG Development and Builders, 3100 Telegraph Road.

NSG DEVELOPMENT & BUILDING GROUP, LLC
ID Num: D6459A
Name: NSG DEVELOPMENT & BUILDING GROUP, LLC
Registered Office Address: 31000 TELEGRAPH RD #260 BINGHAM FARMS MI 48025
Mailing/Office Address: --
Formation/Qualification Date: 9-6-2011

Verify a License/Registration

Licensee Information
Name: Russell, Bret Alan
Address: Bingham Farms MI48025
County: Oakland

License Information:
License Number: 2101199303
Issue Date: 01/26/2011
Expiration Date: 05/31/2013

He did not even have a builders license until January 26 of this year .

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:04 am

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Webs do you have time to check out the amended complaint filed on 09/01/2011 in this case: 11-096209-CK.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:05 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Beat me again. It was only a matter of time until lawsuits were filed. De Maria grew up in his father's construction company and would have been an awesome developer. I

Thanks! I will have the case on by tomorrow.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:04 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

P 001 SMITH VILLAGE DEVELOPMENT,, VS D 001 YOUNG,CHARLES,JR
2050 WARNER
FLINT MI 48503
ATY:PAESANO,ANTHONY
P-60173 248-792-6886

P 002 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP,, VS D 002 CITY OF FLINT,,
1101 S SAGINAW
FLINT MI 48502
ATY:PAESANO,ANTHONY 09/01/11
P-60173 248-792-6886

P 003 STRAYHORN,N,JASON VS D 003 SMITH VILLAGE CONSTRUCTION,,
RES-RUSSELL,BRET,
2050 WARNER AVENUE

P-60173 248-792-6886

P 004 DEMARIA,MARK,H VS D 004 S E METRO PROPERTIES,,
RES-RUSSELL,BRET,
31114 BINGHAM ROAD
BINGHAM FARMS MI 48025
P-60173 248-792-6886

D 005 EASON,GREGORY,
1534 S FRANKLIN AVENUE
FLINT MI 48503
09/01/11 D 006 RUSSELL,BRET,
31114 BINGHAM ROAD
BINGHAM FARMS MI 48025
09/01/11

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

It was initially filed 06/17/2011.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:17 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I saw that filing and no one has been served yet. However one week before it was initially filed, is when I started a thread on CIG and that allegedly the FBI was looking at their documents in DCED. I brought that thread forward rather than repeat it.

It appears that Flint is not using due diligence in their procurement practices and that could cost the city some serious monetary repayment.

The documents that I and Sam Sutton and others tried to FOIA from HUD included communications and emails between Flint and HUD regarding the NSP grants. This investigation and the lawsuit may be the reason HUD wanted outrageous sums of mone (between $1200 and $1400 ) to obtain this info.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:24 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 11:20 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

page 3

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

FY 97 Homeownership Zone
Flint, Michigan
AMOUNT OF AWARD:
Homeownership Zone Grant — $2,013,000

NEW HOMEOWNER UNITS:
319 (269 new construction, 50 rehabilitation)

PROPOSED COMPLETION:
Unknown

HOMEOWNERSHIP ZONE SITE:
The University Park Homeownership Zone (HOZ) is a 265 acre area located in the middle of Flint. It is near the Central Business District and the Flint campus of the University of Michigan. The Homeownership Zone consists of two subtarget areas that are distinct but connected. The west subtarget area is bounded by Mary Street on the north, Saginaw Street on the east, Fifth Avenue on the south, and Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue on the west. The east subtarget area is bounded by Harriet Street on the north, Industrial Avenue on the east, Cornelia Street on the south, and Saginaw Street on the west. At the time of the Homeownership Zone designation, nearly half of the area consisted of vacant or boarded-up properties, and there had been no new housing development in 12 years.

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
Flint encountered a number of problems that prevented the implementation of the City's original Homeownership Zone proposal. The original proposal called for the development of new homeownership housing located in two subtarget areas - University Park and Smith Village. The City also proposed to rebuild streets and infrastructure, rehabilitate and expand a local community center, create new parks and green space, and initiate a small business support program. While the University Park subtarget area is complete, redevelopment of the Smith Village area stalled. The City is revising its Homeownership Zone strategy and developing a "restart" plan.

FUNDING:
Homeownership Zone Grant — $2,013,000

PARTNERS:
Smith Revitalization, LLC — Project Manager
Rowe, Inc — Project Engineer

PROJECT OUTCOMES:
Underway

INNOVATIONS:
Underway

BEST PRACTICES:
Underway

LESSONS LEARNED:
Underway

AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
None

Additional Information
Project Contact
MAP
PICTURES (not available at this time)

Content Archived: May 25, 2011

FOIA Privacy Web Policies and Important Links

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W.
Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112 TTY: (202) 708-1455

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Bank Owned Homes for Sale Expected to Influence Subdivision Project

March 10th, 2011 by Jason Westmann

The number of foreclosed properties and bank owned homes for sale has remained high in Michigan. This led some analysts to question whether it is wise to build new subdivisions now when the state is currently sitting on a huge excess of property inventory. The debate was recently reignited by reports that the Smith Village project in Flint, started around 13 years ago, will be restarted this year.

According to some housing industry analysts, there are too many Detroit foreclosures for sale and unsold residential properties in various areas of the state that building new ones will be unreasonable. Based on housing reports, Flint is said to be in possession of a surplus of around 27,000 housing units. Some realtors have argued that the last thing the region needs are more residential properties.

Local analysts have also argued that newly built houses are finding it hard to compete with cheaper foreclosed homes for sale in Michigan and that other counties have even put their residential development projects on hold. Those who oppose the project also stated that even if the Village is completed, there will not be enough people with means who can purchase the finished properties.

Meanwhile, those who support the completion of the project have argued that there will be buyers who will opt for newly built houses rather than bank owned homes for sale, particularly since the development is predicted to be the only subdivision that will be built in the area in 2011. Funds from a federal grant will reportedly be used to construct more than 80 housing units at the subdivision this year.

The people behind the project have stated that half of the houses in the subdivision will be sold to buyers who belong to the low income bracket and who are mostly unable to afford traditional homes and even bank foreclosed properties. They also noted a Downtown Development Authority report which showed that Flint is currently in need of around 250 residential units in its downtown neighborhood, which means that there will be a market for the new houses.

In response, critics have asserted that the factors that stalled the completion of the subdivision more than a decade ago still exist and have become even worse. They added that the recession, job losses and the huge amount of bank owned homes for sale will only result in the finished houses sitting empty in their lots for a long period of time.

Bank Owned Homes for Sale Expected to Influence Subdivision ...
10 Mar 2011 ... Bank owned homes for sale remain high in Michigan, causing analysts to question the ... In Flint, an old one is set to be restarted. ... The debate was recently reignited by reports that the Smith Village project in Flint, started ...
http://www.bankforeclosuressale.com/wp/article-03103559.html - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:27 am
Post Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Genesee County secondary water system threatened?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Today at the Genesee County Commission meetings Commissioner Gleason raised some serious issues concerning the Richfield landfill and the possibility that it could contaminate the Holloway Resevoir. The Reservoir, owned by the City of Flint, was created in part to be a secondary water system for the county in case of a failure from the Detroit pipeline. "It runs the entire length of the county," said Gleason, "It could be our problem for the future"

Gleason noted that the Richfield Landfill is adjacent to the largest fresh water supply site in the county. He discussed the approaching public hearing and said if the owners of the landfill ignore the officials ofRichfield Township, Genesee County and other officials then who thinks they will listen to the citizens.

"They cannot contain the leakage of the cells', said Gleason. He noted the leakage is so great they have to truck it out and a failure to do so means the materials will drain out ot the Holloway Reservoir.

Flint contracts with Detroit for water and Detroit was to build a secondary water system for Flint in case of a failure of the primary line. The secondary water line was never built. The state required Flint to make major improvements to the Flint water plant in order to have a back up system to provide water.

There have been several instances in which the Detroit water line was compromised and water could not flow into Flint. The Anderson Report was commissioned during the Stanley administration and it stated the Flint River did not have an adequate water flow to supply both the county and the city. Since Detroit does not allow Flint River water to be co-mingked with the Lake water, the report recommended either the city use the river water to save money for flint or the city could sell the river water to the county.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:14 pm
Post Mon May 04, 2015 11:27 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Community Improvement Group and Flint DCED

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

When the FBI and other federal agencies seized records from the Flint department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) the city hall grapevine says the contracts and related documents of Community Improvement Group (CIG) were among the documents under review.

It will not be the first time CIG has come under scrutiny by the Office of Inspector general (OIG) for HUD. On January 12, 2010, Heath Wolfe, the Regional Inspector General for this region (5AGA) sent Memorandum NO 2010-CH-1801 to Jeanette Harris, the Director of HUD's Community and Planning and Development prior to her retirement. The memorandum concerned Wayne County and the need for the county to improve its ability to administer the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP). This program provided grants to communities to help them purchase and rehabilitate homes that were foreclosed or abandoned in order to stabilize neighborhoods and sten the decline in home values.

Hud rules for procurement of services requires full and open competition. The federal Register, dated October 6, 2008, stated the HUD regulations at 24 CFR Part 570 applied to the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. Regulations within this segment (24 CFR 570.502 (a) says that governmental entities that are recipients or subrecipients must comply with 24 CFR 85.36. These regulations require full and open competition and any action to the contrary is considered to restrict competition.

Key to the process is regulation section 85.36 (d)(3)(iv) which says the process must base awardsof contracts through competitive proposals and award the contract to a responsible firm with the proposal that is the most advantageous to the program, with Price and other factors considered. There must be a cost or price analysis with every procurement action.

When Wayne County entered into a subrecipient agreement with the Wayne County Land Bank (Corporation) to assist in the procurement of management services to help with the NSP grant, the Corporation was required to also comply with the HUD rules.

The County did not ensure that the Corporation fully complied with the regulations when they selected Community Improvement Group (CIG) for management services for the NSP program. The Corporation did not consider price when they selected CIG and this was contrary to HUD's rules.

The county as of December 16, 2009 had failed to provide HUD with a complete policies and procedures manual for the NSP program. The draft lacked a section on policies and procedures for monitoring to ensure that the funds were used in an appropriate manner. It also failed to amend the section of the manual that applied to land banks and had several omissions.

The Corporation initially planned on the provider of management services, CIG, to develop the policies and procedures manual. The delay in contracting caused the County to begin the process. O October 13, 2009, the senior executive project manager stated the manual would not be finalized until it was reviewed by CIG and the document would be completed by November 1, 2009. The document was not completed until December 16,2009 and was failed to provide the monitoring procedures and the amendment regarding land banks and appraisals.

The recommendations to HUD was a cost analysis of the CIG contract and if the county did not perform the cost analysis, it should use funds other than HUD funds for these services. Other options included amending the CIG contract and/or voiding the contract.

Now, I am not sure what the OIG is looking at specifically in regards to Flint's contract with CIG , but i am aware that there have been problems with contracting services in a full ond open competive manner.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:38 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

July 18, 2010 8:00 PM
Communities race to commit HUD grants for neighborhoods
Wayne, Oakland counties well ahead
By Nancy Kaffer
| | | | | |
Developer finds new opportunity offering housing grant assistance
For developer Mark DeMaria, the federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program couldn't have happened at a better time.

By the fall of 2008, the private development market had come to a standstill and the downtown loft market in which DeMaria had worked extensively had all but disappeared.

But development dollars were beginning to flow through the stabilization program, which has sent billions into communities around the country.

So DeMaria, along with partner Jason Strayhorn, started the Detroit-based Community Improvement Group,a company whose sole purpose is to administer federal housing grant programs for municipal and county governments.

To date, DeMaria said, the company has scored stabilization program contracts to administer Wayne County's $25.9 million allotment, the Detroit Land Bank Authority's $6.2 million and the city of Flint's $4.2 million.

DeMaria and Strayhorn — Douglass Diggs, former city of Detroit director of planning and development, is also a company leader — hope to expand the business around the country by year's end.

The Community Improvement Group won a contract to administer Wayne County's stabilization program in more than a dozen communities, and it is looking for business around the country.

“We went as far as San Bernardino County,” Strayhorn said. “We went on the road with this real heavy ... and we're starting to get more interest from communities outside of the area ... because they have funds they have to get out the door” by a September deadline.

Spending HUD dollars requires rigorous review and documentation, DeMaria said, a process that's sometimes beyond the capacity of local governments to administer.

For DeMaria, it's all about opportunity.

“We're looking at $100 million in new contracts for the year, that's our target,” he said. “We're getting close. I think we can reach it.”
Nancy KafferWhen Wayne County earmarked the last of its federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program dollars, it marked a milestone for Wayne County Chief Development Officer Turkia Mullin.

After a January U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development audit critical of the county's ability to handle stabilization funds, the county designated its entire $25.9 million allotment in June, well before a September deadline to determine how program funds would be spent.

But as that deadline nears, other communities are still working to get money out the door.

Approved in 2008, the first round of neighborhood stabilization funding distributed $3.92 billion to state and local governments, with the largest sums targeted to communities with high foreclosure rates.

Money must be obligated to specific projects by September and spent by 2012.

Some communities have struggled to earmark neighborhood stabilization dollars, said Brian Sullivan, a public affairs specialist in HUD's Washington, D.C., headquarters. He noted that the capacity to handle the large sums has been a challenge for communities used to seeing the same amounts of federal money each year through programs like Community Development Block Grants.

“Then bam, they get $25 million and they have three people, and they don't have ... the capacity to go into, let's say, looking at buying, rehabbing and re-selling 200 homes,” he said. “And they just don't have the local contracting capacity to act in a timely fashion.”

A second round of stabilization funding was approved earlier this year.

And this fall, the federal government will begin the process of taking back unspent funds from the program's first round — which could supply a third round of funding.

Nationally, 40 percent of the program's funds have not been obligated, according to HUD data.

For the state, the city of Detroit and Macomb County, the amounts not obligated are higher. As of June 14, 61.8 percent of Michigan's $98.6 million isn't earmarked, according to HUD data; in Macomb County, 47 percent isn't obligated. The city of Detroit, said a communications manager, has 41.8 percent left to earmark.

Sullivan said HUD hasn't yet determined how it will take back unspent funds.

In Wayne County, officials paired stabilization funds with other federal program dollars, Mullin said, to green-light even more projects.

The county's projects include:

• $750,000 to help construct a new YMCA in Inkster.

• $2 million for an athletic center in Melvindale.

• $1.2 million to rehabilitate homes in Grosse Pointe Park.

• $800,000 for a recreation center in northwest Detroit.

• $8.5 million in total earmarked for Detroit projects.

“One of those things is doing 450 demolitions in the city of Detroit within 45 business days, and we're on target to meet that deadline,” Mullin said.

Wayne County has contracted with the Community Improvement Group (See related story at right.) to manage its stabilization program.

The county was able to satisfy HUD's objections, and Mullin said that the county's results show it was up to the task.

“The proof's in the pudding,” she said. “If we obligate all this money by September, it's hard to debate the issue of do we have capacity.”

Detroit will obligate its entire $47 million in stabilization program funding by Aug. 30, Detroit Planning and Development Director Warren Palmer wrote in an e-mail to Crain's.

For the first round of stabilization program funding, the city targeted nine neighborhoods: Brightmoor, Far East/East English Village, Grand River/Greenfield, Herman Gardens, Kettering, North Central, North End, Osborn and Southwest Detroit.

Detroit plans to spend at least $14 million on both demolition and rehabilitation. It costs roughly $10,000 to demolish a house.

The remainder of the $27 million that's been earmarked so far will be used for clearance, new construction, reconstruction and administration, Dan Lijana, a communications manager in Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's office, wrote in an e-mail to Crain's.

Macomb County Commissioner Ed Bruley, chairman of that county's Planning and Economic Development Committee, called Macomb's 53 percent obligation rate “a slow start,” but he was optimistic that Macomb was on its way to closing the funding gap. Macomb had obligated just over $3.5 million as of June 14 from the $9.7 million awarded under NSP legislation in 2008, according to HUD data.

All money that remains unobligated after the current federal fiscal year ends Sept. 30 can be recaptured by the federal government.

“I'm concerned about it also, but I think that we will have that fully allotted by the due date,” Bruley said. “We're looking at a number of projects right now; and if any one of them went through, we'd be looking at tackling a lot more of that.”

To date, the state of Michigan has obligated some 38.2 percent of the more than $98.6 million it received in the first round of stabilization program funding.

Martha Baumgart, a planner at the Michigan State Housing Development Authority, said the state expects to have its entire $98.6 million fully committed by mid-September.

Out of the funds, the state plans to earmark $41 million for multifamily housing projects. The state also plans to allocate• $21.7 million to 17 urban communities around the state that have areas hard hit by foreclosures and could quickly put the federal assistance to use, Baumgart said.

Those cities are: Ann Arbor, Battle Creek, Bay City, Benton Harbor, Dearborn Heights, Farmington Hills, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Livonia, Muskegon, Muskegon Heights, Port Huron, Roseville, Royal Oak, Saginaw, St. Clair Shores and Wyoming.

Nearly $13.6 million has gone to the Michigan Land Bank Fast Track Authority “to do demolition, and acquisition for redevelopment, on properties they have owned throughout the state,” mostly in Southeast Michigan, Baumgart said.

Another $6.1 million has gone to six distressed cities — Highland Park, Hamtramck, Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Benton Harbor — to assist with removal of blighted buildings in neighborhoods.

Baumgart said MSHDA is assessing its allocations every two weeks to monitor progress and expects to have all the funds obligated by Sept. 19, which is Michigan's deadline.

In Oakland County, it's a different story. Gordon Lambert, chief of operations for the Oakland County Community and Home Improvement Division, said as of last week the county had obligated 98.3 percent of its $17.3 million funding grant and expects to reach full obligation of the funding by the end of July.

“When we knew we were getting money, we spent a lot of staff time developing the specific programs that could use it, going over what would or would not work, and going over various what-ifs. There's been an awful lot of communication with communities about it,” he said.

“That (full obligation) was a goal we established early on, and Oakland County will not turn back one red cent of recaptured money to the feds.”

About $5 million of the grant funds has gone toward a county-operated homebuyer program to assist qualifying residents with secondary financing for up to 49 percent of the purchase price and necessary improvements for a home that needs rehabilitation. Homebuyers must obtain the other 51 percent from a private lender, who becomes the primary lien holder.

Another $10 million or so will pass on to 10 local communities for various programs that acquire and rehabilitate homes, improve neighborhoods or make a few limited infrastructure improvements, Lambert said.

Those are under way in Ferndale, Madison Heights, Oak Park, Royal Oak Township, Holly, Lake Orion, Ortonville, Keego Harbor, Rose Township and Hazel Park.

Reporters Chad Halcom and Amy Lane contributed to this story.

Nancy Kaffer: (313) 446-0412, nkaffer@crain.com

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:50 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

While Crain's states Wayne County was able to satisfy the OIG findings, I believe Flint will be hard pressed to measure up. HUD monitored Flint in late march and April 1 and the monitoring report is said to be extremely critical of the city and their staff in DCED.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:53 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Jason Strayhorn
Chairman of CIG Group Inc.

Industry
Real Estate
Jason Strayhorn's Overview
Current •Chairman at Community Improvement Group, LLC DBA - CIG Group
•President at MAJK Investments LLC
•Sideline Reporter at WJR/Spartan Sports Network
Past •Executive Banker, Presidents Club at Quicken Loans/Rock Financial
Education •Michigan State University

Jason Strayhorn's Experience
Chairman Community Improvement Group, LLC DBA - CIG Group
Construction industry

September 2008 – Present (2 years 10 months)

CIG Group Inc. endeavors to provide sustainability and economic growth to communities in need through the implementation of viable, quality, adaptive development and rehabilitation projects.

President MAJK Investments LLC
Real Estate industry

February 2007 – Present (4 years 5 months)

Full service real estate firm in Metro Detroit. Specializing in;

-Residential sales and listings.

-Raising capital to fund both short and long term real estate investments.

-Identifying markets that have the largest profit potential.

Sideline Reporter WJR/Spartan Sports Network
Public Company; 51-200 employees; Broadcast Media industry

April 2006 – Present (5 years 3 months)

Broadcasts all Michigan State University football games with fellow radio personalities George Blaha and Jim Miller. Jason uses his knowledge as a former all Big Ten center to give sideline and play by play analysis.

Executive Banker, Presidents Club Quicken Loans/Rock Financial
Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Financial Services industry

January 2004 – September 2008 (4 years 9 months)

Top saleman in lead conversion and closing volume of conventional and government loan products. Jason has won several awards for production and customer service excellence.

Jason Strayhorn's Education
Michigan State University Bachelor of Science in Business Management, Business
1994 – 1999

Activities and Societies: Captain of the football team. A native of Indianapolis, Ind., Strayhorn started 24 consecutive games at center for Coach Nick Saban in 1997-98. As a senior, he earned first-team All-Big Ten honors from the coaches and media. He also received the Up Front Award as the team's outstanding interior lineman in 1998 along with the Iron Man award for his acheivement in the Spartan strength and conditioning program.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:56 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

About CIG - Community Improvement Group
Jason Strayhorn - Chairman
Strayhorn – As Co-Founder of CIG Group Jason has solid relationships with several of the nation’s business and government leaders including the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

In 2010, Jason led his team in securing over $38 million in contracts in for the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP). Most recently CIG Group answered the call to successfully obligate the Detroit Land Bank Authority’s $6.2 million NSP grant within 30 days.

A graduate of Michigan State University with a degree in Business Management, Jason’s background includes financial management and urban area real estate development. He has developed strong relationships with the nation’s largest lending institutions as well as REO/Bank asset managers. Jason has worked with local partners at MSHDA and HUD to place low income residents into qualified homes.

A former Michigan State University All-Big Ten center, Professional Athlete and current MSU Spartan Football Broadcast Sideline Reporter – Jason really knows how to move obstacles from his path.

Email: jason@cigamerica.com

Mark DeMaria - Chief Executive Officer
Mark DeMaria – Co-Founder and CEO for CIG, is an award-winning developer with over 15 years experience in construction and development. Mark has a proven track-record in the development; execution; management and successful completion of large development projects.

Mark has successfully managed more than $250 million worth of major public and private sector construction projects. As a real estate Developer Mark has built more than $50 million of award-winning Urban Infill projects from the ground-up.

Mark has developed and implemented proven processes and management systems which has led CIG to successfully implement and obligate $38 million in U.S. Federal Housing and Urban Development NSP project funds.
Mark is committed to improving communities by providing excellence in project delivery and reliability.

He was selected for the prestigious Crain's Detroit 40 under 40 for his industry excellence.

Email: mark@cigamerica.com
Copyright © 2010 CIG Group. All Rights Reserved | Ford Building | 615 Griswold Street Detroit, MI 48226-3900 | (313) 483-3292 | info@cigamerica.com

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Originally Published: October 22, 2009 2:27 PM Modified: October 22, 2009 3:56 PM
Douglass Diggs appointed interim director of Detroit's Land Bank Authority
By Nancy Kaffer
| | | | | |

Former Detroit Planning and Development Director Douglass Diggs will serve as interim director of the city's new Land Bank Authority, Charlie Beckham, chief administrator for Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, said this week.

Diggs was appointed director of planning and development by disgraced former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, but was initially left in place by Detroit City Council President Ken Cockrel Jr., who served as mayor after Kilpatrick stepped down last year.

Diggs left the city in March.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:04 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

This won't be the first time the current DCED has had issues with the bidding process.

Some time ago after the city bid for services, only John Carpenter and Greg Averyhardt sent in responses to a Request for Proposals. Capenter's proposal was the only one that was complete. Greg Eason told council they had decided not to use that bid because the cost exceeded what they had budgeted. Isn't this where an independent prior cost analysis would have come in?

Some think it was because Carpenter was not in good graces with the administration or because he was not a minority. However, word around town was that Averyhardt had been promised the contract by Eason.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:21 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

And you have to remember that Kate fields and her newly formed company, Advanced Solutions, was not the initial selection for the Department of Energy grant.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

A0000003957 5/2/2011 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $15,052.50
A0000003670 4/4/2011 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $15,002.50
A0000003502 3/14/2011 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $15,002.50
A0000003124 2/1/2011 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $27,002.50
A0000002839 12/27/2010 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $27,001.25
A0000002483 11/15/2010 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $27,008.75
162134 10/21/2010 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $27,013.75
161408 9/16/2010 COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT GROUP, LLC $58,085.00

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:26 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

This article raises issues. There is no discussion of any Request for Proposal or bid process. Without this process, HUD would have violated their own process. HUD is not allowed to make recommendations. To me this press release implies that HUD did so .

06/14/2010 - City of Flint moves forward on $4M NSP grant06/14/2010 - City of Flint moves forward on $4M neighborhood stabilization grant under threat from feds – Flint Journal

Earlier this month, The Journal reported that federal officials wrote a letter to Flint Mayor Dayne Walling to express its concerns that Flint is at risk of not meeting the deadline for committing the neighborhood stabilization funds, which are federal grant dollars awarded to fight foreclosures and redevelop housing.

Flint contracted with Detroit-based Community Improvement Group for Program Management for the city of Flint.

Eason said HUD approved and said Community Improvement Group will be hired by the city to manage the grant funds because the city doesn’t have the internal capacity to do it on its own.

“For what we’re getting from them (CIG), we’re getting more than our money’s worth,” Eason said.

“This is a company HUD has 100 percent confidence in.”

Flint Journal

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:35 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Because some NSP funds come through the State of michigan, MSHDA has contracted with Capital Access to provide management services to their sub-recipients. Flint does not have the staff with sufficient expertise or training to manage the program, so MSHDA has a capital Access staff person embedded within the department. Capital access made presentations to the City Council and recently advertised for more staff.

[PDF] MICHIGAN NSP2 PROJECTS AND GRANTS PROCESSOR - CAPITAL ACCESSFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
May 9, 2011 ... documented compliance with MSHDA and HUD NSP2 regulations. ... Caitlin Sharp, Capital Access, Inc., 421 Garland, Suite B, Flint, ...
capitalaccessinc.com/MI%20NSP2%20Project%20%20Grant%20Processor%20Job%20Descripti...►[PDF] MICHIGAN NSP2 PROJECT MANAGER - CAPITAL ACCESS File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
May 9, 2011 ... hard copy back-ups consistent with MSHDA NSP2 Policies and ...
capitalaccessinc.com/MI%20NSP2%20Project%20Manager%20Job%20Description%205-9-201...[PDF] MI NSP2 EMBEDDED STAFF POSITIONS AVAILABLE MAY 9 ... - CAPITAL ACCESS File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
May 9, 2011 ... Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA), ...
capitalaccessinc.com/MI%20NSP2%20Embedded%20Staff%20Positions%20Notice%205-9-11.pdfShow more results from capitalaccessinc.comCapital Access, Inc. - Project Manager (1); Projects and Grants ... Capital Access, Inc. seeks to hire highly motivated Project Managers and Project ... within HUD deadlines and; in compliance with HUD and MSHDA regulations. ... Capital Access, Inc. 421 Garland, Suite B Flint, Michigan 48503 or email to ...
www.sas.upenn.edu/.../capital-access-inc-project-manager-4-projects-and-grants-processors - CachedEmployment Opportunities: Administer Michigan NSP2 Funds May 10, 2011 ... Capital Access, Inc. 421 Garland, Suite B Flint, Michigan 48503 or email to csharp@capitalaccessinc.com. Download(s): MI NSP2 Embedded Staff ...
www.housingalliancepa.org/news/view.php?news_id=972 - Cached[PDF] Smith Village Redevelopment Plan File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
the Flint Housing Commission,. Capital Access, Inc. and the. Genesee County Land Bank with ... City seeks to prove to HUD and MSHDA that it is ...
www.flinthud.org/HUD%20presentation-redevelopment2.pdf[PDF] MSHDA FY 2010 Production Goals Report - State of Michigan File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Capital Access, Inc. MSHDA (Land Bank). Capacity Building/In- direct TA. $92817. Capital Access, Inc. People's Community. Services. HOME ADMIN - ...
www.michigan.gov/.../mshda/PROD_REPORT__FY10_337126_7.pdf[DOC] Request for Proposal for Implementation Management Consultant File Format: Microsoft Word - Quick View
Aug 23, 2010 ... Flint, MI 48503. A pre-submittal meeting (non-mandatory) will be held ... staff and facilitated by Capital Access, Inc., a MSHDA technical ...
xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/19418070/720751235/name/RFP+IMC.doc[PDF] MICHIGAN NSP2 PROJECT MANAGER File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Capital Access, Inc. (CAI) seeks to hire Project Managers for Neighborhood Stabilization ... Flint. In January 2010, HUD awarded $223875399 in Neighborhood ... MSHDA, through CAI, and Field Support Directors will hold the Project ...
www.mcgregorlibrary.com/Services/Jobs/ProjectManager101510.pdf[PDF]

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:50 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

When you review the credentials of th principals of CIG there is no mention of HUD training or the implementation of HUD or federal programs. Douglas Diggs is barely mentioned and he may be the only one with training.

In my opinion one of the biggest problems with all of the stimulus programs is individuals failing or facing a weakened business climate suddenly reinvent themselves to try to get a piece of the stimulus pie. That is why all of the fraud materials put out by the federal government are warning to look out for newly formed comapnies that bid on these federal progams. Did some of these individuals have advance notice about where stimulus monies would be directed and have they reinvented themselves in an attempt to obtain contracts.

The Crain's Detroit story emphasized that CIG was created for just that reason-to capitalize on the money flowing from the NSP stimulus package.

"Developer finds new opportunity offering housing grant assistance
For developer Mark DeMaria, the federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program couldn't have happened at a better time.

By the fall of 2008, the private development market had come to a standstill and the downtown loft market in which DeMaria had worked extensively had all but disappeared.

But development dollars were beginning to flow through the stabilization program, which has sent billions into communities around the country.

So DeMaria, along with partner Jason Strayhorn, started the Detroit-based Community Improvement Group,a company whose sole purpose is to administer federal housing grant programs for municipal and county governments"

CIG does however contract with some individuals who do have the expertise. Flint's own Michael Freeman and Amy Hovey (now lansing) are known to HUD as among the most knowledgeable in HUD regulations around the state. Dan Kildee a;lways did try to get some of the brightest and the best for his newest venture. These two both work with him.

The question is why isn't Flint's staff performing better with both CIG and the embedded Capital Access personnel helping the staff run this program? The newest monitoring report and the one soon to come indicate a high level of incompetance and possible corruption.

It is in the best interest of government agencies to help gloss over the warts and blemishes of the failed public programs because they don't want these programs to be viewed as failures. To do so reflects badly on the government agencies that create these sonmetimes misguided programs.

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

See thread on whether Smith Village is stalled as CIG is involved in a lawsuit against the city, Greg Eason and Charles Young.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:15 pm
Post Tue May 05, 2015 8:05 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9688
Post Tue May 05, 2015 8:06 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: