FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Public eye looking to county government?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When the county fails to place their agenda on line, you immediately know a cabal is afoot!

The first thing on the Wednesday agenda was an update on the "$100,000 no-bid contract the county gave Phil Shaltz and his company Hss to evaluate the county purchasing contract. Interesting concept to violate the existing purchasing policy to
evaluate and create a purchasing policy. The vote was 7 to 2 with only Ted henry and Peggy Adams voting against it.

The presentation, conducted by Eric Larson of Hss, listed a litany of problems that were allegedly going on for decades and costing the county a lot of money and presenting opportunities for potential fraud.

Peggy Adams was the first commissioner to respond when she stated the Board needed specifics and not the generalities told by Larson. Since the county has comprehensive organizational charts, she was incredulous bout Larson's claims that employees did not know who was their boss. Adams also requested the information of the final report be provided in advance so the commissioners had the opportunity to study it and ask informed questions.

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:39 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Ted Henry brought the underlying issues to light. It took 2 full time staffers of Hss 75 days to itemize problems that a county ub-committee had already identified. He noted that while in discussion of the issues, the matter was brought to a halt by the controller (he did not say which one)who told them "don't go there at this time". The committee was told there was no money for implementation.

"Now we are spending $100,000 on something we already discussed."

Omar Sims, with his usual arrogant self, challenged Henry with some flippant and off the cuff remarks. Remember Sims was the commissioner who after voting to give Hss the money remarked that he now hoped Phil Shaltz would tell them what they were getting for their money.

Sims nodded to Henry and argued that the committee had known and yet had produced no response. He looked at Henry and with a shake of his head said"I rest my case".

What case? It looks even more like the fix was in ! And if Sims and other commissioners didn't know what they were voting for, that gives a stronger impression of corruption in the process.

Are there "kickbacks" or other political considerations? People use the Shakespeare line that something smells in Denmark to indicate deceit is in play. Well this contract stinks and the smell is getting worse. How can there be no money to fix the purchasing problems in-house, but yet Mark Young and his committee can violate the law by negotiating a no-bid $100,000 contract to be paid in the next budge year and then the committee members vote on it. Only a politician can make a complaint to Schuette and none have any guts!

This is a campaign year so watch the campaign donations and in-kind fundraisers. I believe some will greatly benefit from this rushed through contract.

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:04 am
Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

WOW! Even Republicans who have never seemed to be political are turning an angry eye towards the current County Commission. And the no bid contracts related to the Chamber of Commerce seems to be the source of the anger.

I never thought I would see the day when so many non-minorities would voice their anger over the Un-named "foundation in the tall building" controlling all of Flint's downtown.

The Shaltz contract is over the 6 month time frame and the county is now paying them $12,000 a month. Somehow this organization claims to be able to save over $2 million. I have never seen any data related to how this will occur. How much will be spent to save. The original contract was for $200,000.
Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: