FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Where is the Flint Council clown car?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eric Mays

22 hrs ·

I am convinced we lack QUALITY POLITICAL LEADERSHIP in the City of Flint. Yesterday we held a PRESS CONFERENCE in the lobby of City Hall with the Concerned Pastors and activist groups concerning the QUALITY OF WATER AND THE PRICE OF WATER. I noticed Josh Freeman, Monica Galloway, specifically, and a few other City Councilpersons purposely would not STAND with the Pastors. They stood behind the cameras. I asked them to stand with us. They shook their head no and did not. Then we went to Finance Committee Meeting at 4:30pm as I attempted to raise issues about the Emergency Manager refusing to me on his FINAL EMERGENCY MANAGER ORDER, when he would leave, reversing the 1st Ward Eric Mays EMERGENCY MANAGER ORDER, etc... Josh Freeman took over the Finance Committee Meeting that Monica Galloway alledgely Chairs, Monica Galloway made a long speech attempting to embarrass and belittle Councilman Mays by saying these are PERSONAL ISSUES and she is tired of 1st Ward Councilman Mays bringing these issues up. I was SHOCKED AND SUPRISED. I responded loud and clear that I represent thousands of people in the 1st Ward and these ISSUES are not personal, but are a part of my JOB. Josh Freeman and Monica Galloway called a RECESS went and called the POLICE. Within five(5) minutes there were six(6) to seven(7) police at the City Council Meeting as if Councilman Mays had committed a Capital Offense. We have a Major Problem on the City Council and in the Office of Mayor. I noticed that when Freeman and Galloway pulled this stunt the EMERGENCY MANAGER left the meeting did not answer any more questions and left. Forgive them for they no not what they do ........ Amen.
Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You can't make this stuff up! In times like this the community needs people like David Starr, that we lost to the Big C. I can picture David in the council chambers looking for the little car-you know, the one all of the clowns climb out of.
Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

My friends are angry the media did not cover this event as they believe the public as a right to know what happens in our council chamber.

But then many of us have the same opinion- the media is bought by the downtown groups.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This is the directive Mays wants dismissed!

EMERGENCY MANAGER
CITY OF FLINT
GENESEE COUNTY MICHIGAN
ORDER No. 3
DIRECTIVES TO COUNCILMAN ERIC MAYS
BY THE POWER AND AUTHORITY VESTED IN THE EMERGENCY MANAGER
(“EMERGENCY MANAGER) FOR THE CITY OF FLINT, MICHIGAN (“CITY’)
PURSUANT TO MICHIGAN’S PUBLIC ACT 436 OF 2012, LOCAL FINANCIAL
STABILITY AND CHOICE ACT, (“PA 436”); DARNELL EARLEY, THE EMERGENCY
MANAGER, ISSUES THE FOLLOWING ORDER:
Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager has broad powers in receivership to rectify
the financial emergency and to assure the fiscal accountability of the City of Flint and its
capacity to provide or cause to be provided necessary services essential to the public health,
safety and welfare; and
Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager acts in place of local officials, specifically
the Mayor and City Council, unless the Emergency Manager delegates specific authority; and
Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager has broad power to manage the local
government, and may issue orders to elected and appointed officials necessary to accomplish the
purpose of the act. An order issued under PA 436 is binding on the person to whom it is issued;
and
Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager may prohibit a local elected official from
access to the local government’s office, facilities, electronic mail, and internal information
systems for failure to abide by an order which disrupts the Emergency Manager’s ability to
manage the local government; and
Emergency Manager Order No. 2, City Council’s Responsibilities and Partial Restoration of
Compensation, effective March 28, 2013, provides that “[a]ll communication with staff must be
in writing and directed through the Emergency Manager”; and
On November 22, 2013, Councilman Eric Mays signed the attached Acknowledgment of Receipt
in which he confirmed having received and read Emergency Manager Order No. 2, and agreed to
abide by its terms; and
On December 2, 2013, Councilman Mays violated Order No. 2 by verbally attacking a Police
Department employee, to the point that she was brought to tears, as described in the attached
affidavit; and
On December 3, 2013 and December 4, 2013, Councilman Mays violated Order No. 2 by
subjecting the Emergency Manager’s secretary to disjointed and lengthy diatribes, in which his
behavior was highly agitated and seemingly out of control, as described in the attached affidavit;
and
In both instances, Mr. Mays used his position as a Council member to intimidate City of Flint
personnel, and engaged in loud, uncivil, unprofessional, aggressive and erratic behavior; and
Councilman Mays has a history of disruptive behavior, with numerous occasions that the police
have had to physically remove him from Council Chambers, as well as a February 22, 2013
conviction for disorderly conduct for persistently disrupting a public hearing; and
At the City Council meeting on November 16, 2013, his first as an elected official, Councilman
Mays repeatedly interrupted and delayed the proceedings; and
Councilman Mays’ failure to abide by Order No. 2, has disrupted and interfered with the
Emergency Manager’s ability to manage the local government; and
If allowed to continue, Councilman Mays’ disruptive behavior will significantly undennine
efforts to strengthen the City Council in preparation for its very critical leadership role as the
City of Flint moves toward a transition advisory board; and
Governance of the City of Flint is subject to extraordinary circumstances due to a financial
emergency, such that action in response to Mr. Mays ‘ s disruptive behavior is necessary; and
Based on the above, and in order to allow for the effective management of the City of Flint, it is
ordered that:
1. Councilman Mays shall not directly communicate with City of Flint staft including the
Emergency Manager, except for the following:
a. to report an emergency or to respond to Police or Fire Departments;
b. in association with payment for his personal utilities or taxes;
c. in association with starting or stopping his personal water service;
d. as permitted by the Emergency Manager.
2. Councilman Mays shall not make referrals to the Emergency Manager or any other City
staff
3. Councilman Mays shall inform residents of the l~ Ward to direct matters to the City
Clerk, who shall then submit those matters to the Emergency Manager.
4. Councilman Mays shall communicate with the Emergency Manager via email only,
unless otherwise directed by the Emergency Manager.
5. Councilman Mays shall not be disruptive during City Council meetings and other
meetings to which the Emergency Manager directs him to attend, and shalli:
a. address Council during the public comment period;
b. address Council unless he is first recognized by the Council president;
c. address Council about matters that are not on the Council agenda.
6. Councilman Mays is permitted access to City Hall only on Monday through Friday from
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and during Council meetings, but otherwise shall not be permitted on the
premises;
7. Councilman Mays is no longer permitted to utilize the City Hall parking garage and shall
immediately return to the City Clerk the parking garage opener he was issued;
8. The Council President shall enforce the above directives at City Council meetings and, in
the event a person persists in disturbing the orderly conduct of a Council meeting after
having been clearly informed that he or she is unreasonably causing a disturbance, shall
request that the police arrest that individual under Flint City Code §31-12(6), Disorderly
Conduct and Disorderly Persons.
This Order is effective December 13, 2013.
This Order may be amended, modified, repealed or terminated by any subsequent order issued
by the Emergency Manager.
Dated: /2 - /3 /5 By: ___________________
Darnell Earley
Emergency Manager
City of Flint
xc: State of Michigan Department of Treasury
Mayor Dayne Walling
Flint City Council
Inez Brown, City Clerk
5:\P. Bade\EM2O I 3\Orders\Order.No.3.E.Mays.doc
AFFIDAVIT OF SHERI ESTEP
STATE OF MICHIGAN )
)ss.
COUNTY OF GENESEE )
NOW COMES Sheri Estep, being duly swotn, deposes and says:
1. I am the Property Clerk for the City of Flint Police Department.
2. On December 2, 2013, I was working the front counter when Flint City
Councilman Erie Mays was called to my window (as the next in line).
3. Mr. Mays told me he needed to get his vehicle out of impound.
4. Mr. Mays did not possess identification, but did produce a document provided
to him by the arresting police officer.
5. Mr. Mays provided a description of the vehicle.
6. Mr. Mays was not the title holder of the vehicle.
7. Mr. Mays became angry when I informed him that I could not release the
vehicle to him.
S. Mr. Mays repeatedly told me that he is a Flint City Councilman.
9. I advised Mr. Mays that in order to take possession of the vehicle, lie would
need to obtain title from the Secretary of State.
10. He told me that the vehicle belonged to the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership
and I advised that a representative from the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership would need
to retrieve the vehicle.
Mr. Mays was very loud, confrontational and aggressive.
12. He stated that he was from the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership and
produced a business card.
13. I attempted to inform him that he needed a letter on the Patsy Lou
Williamson dealership letterhead authorizing release of the vehicle to him, but he was
talking loudly and angrily on his cell and not listening to me.
14. I informed Mr. Mays that I was done conducting business with him and I
pulled the window shade down.
15. Mr. Mays remained in the lobby talking very loudly and was extremely
angry.
16. Mr. Mays’ conduct, including repeatedly saying he is a Flint City
Councilman, was very intimidating and upsetting.
17. After he left, I was in tears and had a difficult time performing my duties for
the rest of the day.
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH. NOT.
Sheri Estep, Afflant
Betty A,~risi, N~ry Publi& ~/‘
Sagina County, tting in Genesee County
My Co Dission xpires: July 12, 2019
Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/04/flint_councilman_walks_out_on.

Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com By Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com
on April 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM, updated April 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Ron Fonger | The Flint Journal

FLINT, MI -- First Ward City Councilman Eric Mays says he voluntarily walked out of a committee meeting Wednesday, April 22, because he was angry with his colleagues, one of whom had asked police to remove him.

A police officer at the meeting talked to Mays after 2nd Ward Councilwoman Jackie Poplar asked the officer to remove him for being disruptive.

Mays left the meeting room, talked further with the officer, and came back to retrieve his papers and coat before walking out of City Hall with a meeting still in progress.

"I said, let me leave. I was too close ... to cussing and saying something," Mays said. "That was my decision solely."

Mays and Poplar started arguing at the very start of a Public Works Committee meeting Wednesday after Poplar went ahead with the meeting despite not having a quorum of the committee.

No votes were taken, but Mays said he was angry because other committee meetings have been regularly cancelled for the same reason.

Poplar interrupted Mays' questioning of a city department head as she ended the committee meeting Wednesday, allowing another committee meeting to start.

Poplar said later that she was attempting to deal with city business by doing what she did.

Periodic hard feelings between Mays and some other council members and city officials are nothing new.

Some council members called on Mays to resign shortly after he was elected -- following his arrest on drunken driving-related charges in November 2013, a case that remains under appeal.

Former emergency manager Darnell Earley signed an executive order a month after Mays was elected, saying the councilman was only allowed to talk to him using email and restricting him from talking to city staff.

The order, which is still in effect, also says Mays cannot be disruptive at council meetings and can only address council when recognized.

In addition to Poplar, council members Scott Kincaid and Josh Freeman have also asked police to remove Mays. Police have approached and spoken to Mays after being summoned, but have not arrested or physically removed him since he's been elected.
Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:51 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

With the EM order against him removed, May is still rowdy in council. The meetings are aired on channel 17 (Comcast) Sundays at noon and again on Monday nights at 10 pm.

Eric always boasts that he knows Robert's Rules of Order and council rules. But he seems to figure they don't apply to him. Loud and contrary he continues to talk over the other council members and appears to believe he is the only voice that should be heard.

Although he did not attend any of the meetings on the HUD Consolidated Plan, he was demanding special meetings to satisfy him of their value while the HUD clock is ticking.

Jackie Poplar turned her back on him and put her finger in her ears. Comments were made that council did not want to spend all night there jut to listen to Mays pontificate. When Freeman pointed out that as president he was in control, Mays got angry and called Freeman and others "racist".

It seems Mays believes Flint revolves around him.
Post Fri May 22, 2015 7:55 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: