FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Flint city attorney claims she has been vindicated

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flint City Hall, the gloves are now off in yet another political battle. This one pits the council and city attorney against each other.

And the mayor is weighing in on this one as well.

Cathy Shafran had more.

The city attorney claims she has been vindicated in an attack by council, which was started when the council sent a complaint about the ethics of her job performance to the State Attorney Grievance Council.

With the mayor standing in support, City Attorney Trachelle Young presented the grievance council's response, saying the council's allegations are insufficient to warrant an investigation on ethical violations.

The mayor claimed this complaint was part of widespread harassment by council.

"I think you've seen it all the way through City Hall, from the ombudsman all the way through," said Flint Mayor Don Williamson. "I think the City Council has gone out of their way to create a hostile work environment in this city."

The city attorney says in her case, it's one particular councilman taking the lead.

"Councilman (Josh) Freeman led the move to send the grievance and this letter, so I think it's a personal agenda Councilman Freeman may be on," she said.

Freeman said his concerns began when he was unable to get Young to answer questions he's raised about potential nepotism in the mayor's office, specifically the issue of husband and wife Bob and Peggy Cook both working as city department heads.

"We haven't seen her (attorney Young) since Nov. 17," Freeman said by phone. "We haven't seen at her at City Council ever since we asked her to explain her opinion, saying it was fine for them to both work for the mayor."

Freeman says since then, other issues have bothered him including "why the attorney refuses to write up ordinances the city council requests, why she doesn't come to City Council meeting, and why she is siding with the mayor and suing the council, making it look like she works for the mayor instead of the city."

"I represent the city," Young said. "The city is my client, not the mayor. The mayor is part of the city, as is City Council. If they have a valid and legitimate concern, I will represent their interests to the fullest extent as well."

Young says she is currently representing the council in an industrial facility tax lawsuit filed by the state. As for her attendance at council meetings, she says a city attorney representative has been there at every meeting.

Full Story and Video:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/news/012505_NW_da_shaffy.html
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: