FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: You mean a race riot Johnnie boy

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

http://threepercenternation.com/2014/11/racist-rep-john-lewis-calls-for-massive-protests-nationwide-if-wilson-isnt-indicted/

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Civil rights icon and Congressman John Lewis (D-GA) believes that Ferguson is a “turning point” for the modern civil rights movement, and that the nation will see massive protests if a grand jury does not indict Officer …
Mediaite · 11/18/2014.

Rep. John Lewis Remarks on Ferguson

on the show, and we were talking economic development, and we were also speaking about what’s happening in Ferguson. Do you believe that ... long haul and it wasn’t a short term situation. LEWIS: My simple …
Michigan Chronicle · 1 day ago.

Civil Rights Icon Has an Inspiring Message for Young Protesters in Ferguson

John Lewis (D-Ga.) speaking Tuesday ... rights movement] and I think what happened in Ferguson will be the turning point." He also warned that a violent police crackdown, as seen during the August protests, could set …
Mic · 11/18/2014.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Civil Rights Icon Has an Inspiring Message for Young Protesters in Ferguson

Gregory Krieg's avatar image By Gregory Krieg November 18, 2014

"My simple advice to all the young people — and those of us not so young — is to pace ourselves for the long haul. Be like a pilot light and not like a firecracker. A firecracker just pops off and it's gone. A pilot light will continue to burn."

That was Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) speaking Tuesday to the young men and women gathered in Ferguson, Missouri, waiting for a grand jury to decide if it will indict police officer Darren Wilson for the deadly Aug. 9 shooting of unarmed black teen Michael Brown.

The civil rights leader made the comments during a radio interview with Roland Martin, who asked Lewis if he saw any parallel between the protests in Ferguson and the 1965 marches across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama. Lewis, then president of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, was severely beaten by police during the first attempt.
Source: AP

"I think what is happening is moving to that point, where there will be the same feeling and climate and environment," Lewis said. "Selma was the turning point [in the 1960s civil rights movement] and I think what happened in Ferguson will be the turning point."

He also warned that a violent police crackdown, as seen during the August protests, could set off not only new demonstrations, but wider debate about heavy-handed law enforcement tactics.

Source: Getty Images

"There could be massive, nonviolent protests all over America," Lewis said. "When we were beaten on that bridge in Selma, people couldn't take it, when they saw it, when they heard about it, when they read about it. There was a sense of righteous indignation. If we see a miscarriage of justice in Ferguson, we're going to have the same reaction people had towards Selma."

But Lewis, who turned 25 just weeks before when he led the first of three marches out of Selma, saved his most poignant words for the young people who will be most squarely in harm's way if order breaks down.

"There will be some setbacks, there will be some disappointments, there will be some interruption — but you must never, ever give up, and hold on to the philosophy and the discipline of nonviolence," he said. "Appeal to the better angels in all of us."

With that, Lewis has delivered an important message for all of us, from the protesters to the people watching from afar, to keep in our hearts and minds as the grand jury decision nears and the possibility of a dangerous standoff between police and civilians becomes more real: stay calm, stay focused. Be strong.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

» National News » Rep. John Lewis Remarks on Ferguson

Rep. John Lewis Remarks on Ferguson

Comments: 0 Comments | Leave A Comment

Nov 19, 2014

By Roz Edward, National Content Director

repjohnlewisferguson

MARTIN: I just talked to Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. on the show, and we were talking economic development, and we were also speaking about what’s happening in Ferguson. Do you believe that what’s happening in Ferguson, John, what’s happening in Beaverton, Ohio, what’s happening with Eric Garner in New York ……Do you believe that these stories represent the modern day Selma that could literally…that for this generation these police killings and the social justice issue represents the modern day Selma?

LEWIS: Well, I think what is happening is moving to that point where there will be the same feeling and climate and environment that we had with Selma. Selma was the turning point. And I think what happens in Ferguson will be the turning point. I think people are waiting, they’re watching, and we’re going to see, I think, within the next few days what happens, and there could be massive, non-violent protests all over America. When we were beaten on that bridge in Selma, the people couldn’t take it. When they saw it, when they heard about it, when they read about it there was a sense of righteous indignation. And if we see a miscarriage of justice in Ferguson, we can have the same reaction that people had toward Selma.

MARTIN: I’ve gotta ask you this though, as someone who was involved it, and I’ve spent the last ten years really studying the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee and how they went about it. What advice do you give to the young people out there who are protesting? It’s now 102 consecutive days in Ferguson. We saw the Ohio students association mobilized in the John Crawford case in Beaver Creek, Ohio. What advice do you give them because y’all were in it for the long haul and it wasn’t a short term situation.

LEWIS: My simple advice to all the young people and those of us not so young is to pace ourselves for the long haul. Be like a pilot light and not like a firecracker. You know a firecracker just pops off and its gone. A pilot light will continue to burn. There will be some setbacks. There will be some disappointments. There will be some interruptions, but you must never, ever give up, and hold on to the philosophy and to the discipline of non-violence and try to protest in a peaceful, orderly fashion and appeal to the better angels in all of us.

MARTIN: Alright. Cong John Lewis. We certainly appreciate it sir………

Also On The Michigan Chronicle
Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:02 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

"LEWIS: My simple advice to all the young people and those of us not so young is to pace ourselves for the long haul"

Hmm--- could that mean don't be a thug, don't assault police officers, don't assault store owners, respect your community? I doubt if that's what old racist Johnny is referring to. Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You forget that Lewis was nearly killed by white racists during the 60's when he participated in peaceful protest. As an advocate for equality, he is not racist.

The right wing wants to make him racist, but that does not change the fact that in years to come whites will be the minority and that galls them.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: