FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Schism again in Flint NAACP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AC Dumas shared Donna Ashburn-Poplar's status.

21 hours ago

Good Morning FBF to God be the Glory: on Monday night September the 8th, Mr. AC Dumas posted pictures of the Flint Fire Marshall ordering that the Flint NAACP meeting be SHUT down due to the fact that their was over 100 people CRAMMED into a building that holds about 30-40 people and is owned by the current NAACP
President, Francis Gilcreast and her husband known by all as Gill the former owners of the Hollywood East Super Club. They along with the NAACP Secretary Alma Starks-Barnett, took upon them selves to arbitrarily overturn the Will of the MAJORITY of the General Membership who VOTED in the August meeting to have the September and October meetings at the New Jerusalem COFFY Center in order to accommodate the membership. As a result of their UNCONSTITUTIONALLY supported actions, over 900 membership notices were sent out to notify the members that the September meeting would be at the NAACP office on LIPPINCOTT, a location that was against the WILL of the GENERAL MEMBERSHIP. So, in a SPIRIT of PROTEST those who felt their RIGHTS and VOTE was being VIOLATED contacted the FIRE MARSHALL about the overcrowding and obvious POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING and SAFETY concerns. The FIRE MARSHALL responded to the call and did just what the GENERAL MEMBERSHIP who VOTED to have the September meeting at The COFFY CENTER wanted, he SHUT down the meeting for obvious safety reasons and CAPACITY CODE VIOLATIONS. As a result of the FIRE MARSHALL ACTIONS the meeting has to be reschedule and prayerfully this time the Gilcreast's and secretary Alma Stocker-Barnett will honor the WILL of the General Membership. Unfortunately and as a result of this situation I was verbally and publicly ATTACKED by the PIERCING and HUMILIATING WORDS that was posted by and later deleted by Pastor Christopher Martin when he originally commented on AC Dumas's post concerning this matter. Pastor Martin stated that I was a convicted felon and NO convicted Felon should be the President of the NAACP and that he wanted the people to vote for Francis Gilcreast. Out of respect my daughter in-boxed Pastor Martin about her feelings about his
NEGATIVE comments against me. He in-boxed me with an apology and said the Gilcreast' was his close friends. I in-boxed him back and told him as a CHRISTIAN and the God in me I accept his
apology. I feel that because he attacked me publicly before he deleted his post he should have done the Godly thing and apologized publicly. Nether the less I pray for pastor Martin that he be set free from letting satan control his actions. I prayerfully ask all of you who where upset and offended over Pastor Chris Martin's comments do the same in the name of Jesus. As I told Pastor Martin I was so GRATEFUL that JESUS shed his BLOOD and Died on CALVARY for a WRETCH like me and EXPUNGED my felony conviction of 14-years ago and set me FREE from the shame of my past. To those who may have a tarnish past you HOLD your HEAD UP and don't you let No devil in HELL hold you hostage to your past not even Pastor Christopher Martin in the attempt to discourage you from moving forward towards your DESTINY and DREAMS. Please remember this the WORD of God says that any man/ woman in CHRIST is a New Creature and OLD things are PASSED away and ALL things are NEW. The devil is a LIAR, I will NOT HARM Pastor Chris Martin with WORDS from my mouth in the way that he has HARMED ME, my husband, family and friends. I will CONTINUE to LOVE and PRAY for Pastor Chris Martin, my BROTHER in CHRIST. I pray that you do the same in the NAME of JESUS. I LOVE you all my FBF and I APPRECIATE your STRONG SUPPORT and LOVE you have POURED out to me. I am so glad that the day when God knocked on the door of my heart I let HIM in. Because my CHRISTIAN response to Pastor Martin is another example that God is showing me that I have been CHANGED. An't God GOOD? Be Blessed

A C Dumas

September 10

Packed Flint Branch of the NAACP! The September General Membership meeting was shut down before any action could take place. The City of Flint Fire Marshall shut the meeting down because of an over capacity problem. Not only standing room only in the building, many members could not get in the building because of the over capacity problem. Don't know when the make up September will take place.

AC Dumas No meetings at the Brach Headquarters!

September 10 at 11:32am ·

Marko Fields Where will it be?

September 10 at 11:32am ·
AC Dumas We do not know until the Michigan State Conference of the NAACP advises the secretary to send out notices! This is what happens when elected officials ignore the Constitution, and others that are not actively engaged give incorrect information. People should Know before you Speak!
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:04 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Donna Ashburn-Poplar

55 minutes ago · Edited

Just like Nehemiah I am the CHOSEN one and I am asking God for STRENGTH to BUILD the WALL STAY on it and to not let NO devil in HELL MANIPULATE me off the wall. Amen

Donna Ashburn-Poplar

about an hour ago · Edited

No one WILL ever know All the GRACE and MERCY that GOD has shown me because you don't know my STORY. But this one thing I want you to KNOW that God LOOKED beyond my faults/sins and dropped the charges and cast them all at CALVARY and said case DISMISSED and set me free from my sins. Oh how I Love JESUS. I Love Him, I Love Him, I Love Him. Lord Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for LOVING me in away that NO one else can. Thank you for MAKING me MORE than a CONQUEROR through YOU that STRENGTHENS me. Amen

Donna Ashburn-Poplar

2 hours ago · Edited

Lord I THANK YOU for being a MERCIFUL GOD. A God that sits HIGH and look LOW. I am GRATEFUL that you and you alone have ALL power in your hands. Thank you Lord for HELPING me to SHAKE off the PAIN of this life. I realize that this journey is not easy but Lord what ever come my way I KNOW that you WILL bring me THROUGH. Lord NO matter the PAIN, the HUMILIATION, ATTACKS and the SUFFERINGS of this li... See More

Donna Ashburn-Poplar

22 hours ago

I have decided with the POWER GOD has INVESTED in me that the ENEMY won't WIN TODAY. Lord I pray that you pour your SPIRIT out on me. Lord I can Not live with out it, I can NOT breath without it and I can NOT move forward without it. I GOT to have your HOLY GHOST SPIRIT so that I can WIN this life's journey and WITH STAND the hand of the ENEMIES that is FIGHTING against me. Lord I can do NOTHING... See More

Donna Ashburn-Poplar shared AC Dumas's status.

September 9

"Flint Fire Marshall shuts down Flint NAACP meeting because of capacity problems"! Donna Ashburn-Poplar is running for president of the Flint Branch. No other candidates have publicly announced. Donna Ashburn-Poplar will be my guest on the ... See More

Donna Ashburn-Poplar

September 8 · Edited

To my FBF early today I told you that I was going boldly into the enemy's camp . Well I want you to know that GOD showed up in the form of
the FIRE Marshall and made the wrong right and gave me and my team the VICTORY. To God Be The Glory

AC Dumas

September 8

"Flint Fire Marshall shuts down Flint NAACP meeting because of capacity problems"! Donna Ashburn-Poplar is running for president of the Flint Branch. No other candidates have publicly announced. Donna Ashburn-Poplar will be my guest on the ... See More

AC Dumas If you want to join the NAACP and support Mrs. Donna Ashburn-Poplar for president, she can be reached at 810-789-2680. Thanks for your consideration!

September 10 at 8:30am ·

Donna Ashburn-Poplar Thank you AC Dumas for your STRONG and BOLD SUPPORT. One correction my phone # is 810- 789-2630. Be Blessed!!

Yesterday at 5:34am · Like

Donna Ashburn-Poplar

September 8

FBF Today I am going BODLY into the enemies camp. I am NOT afraid because my God PROMISED that HE will NEVER leave me alone. He Promised me that I ALREADY have the VICTORY. The WORD of GOD says TOUCH not my ANOINTED and do my PROPHET no HARM. So I am DRESSED today in the WHOLE ARMOR of God Dressed for the fight. Pray for me today as I pray for you. Be Blessed!!
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On December 1, 2002 the Courier carried a story written by Charles Winfrey about a complaint filed on NAACP voting issues. Winfrey discussed how a complaint filed by the then President of the local NAACP, E Hill Deloney asked the NAACP's chair of the state conference on internal affairs (SCIA) to declare the November 17, 2002 officer election to be null and void. Deloney cited Article 5, Section 15 of the Constitution and By-Laws for Branches of the NAACP as her authority for challenging the election process if they feel violations have been committed. The signatures of 100 current members were filed with the complaint.

the issue of the complaint was the Elections Supervisory Committee's creation of rule that required a picture ID in order to vote. The national manual only requires some form of ID to receive a ballot. The alleged misinterpretation of the rules caused many voters to be turned away.

A second issue questioned the authority of the chairman of the Election Supervisory Committee. a husband of one of the candidates, to close the tabulation process to several observers and challengers. These individuals should have been allowed to observe. The was also alleged to be a discrepancy regarding the number of voters and the number of ballots counted.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:43 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AC Dumas held a lead of 91 votes over current President E Hill Deloney and had a lead of 156 votes over Vera B. Rison. However there were at least 176 challenged votes that were scheduled to be counted t Christ Fellowship Baptist Church before the complaint was filed.

The local has 15 days to respond to the SCIA complaint. If the SCIA deems the complaint has merit, the complaint is sent to the National Office of the NAACP. The matter is then up to the Director of the National Field Operations Department of Branch and Field Services to determine if a new election would be held. A national officer would then conduct the new Flint election.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Winfrey was extremely detailed in his article. He described a second complaint filed by Deloney over alleged "illegal fundraising" conducted by the Dumas slate. Deloney challenged contributions to the NAACP by three corporations-Will H. Hall & Son, Inc., Metro Fabricators, Inc., and Sorenson Gross Construction Co, Inc.,- "could rightfully be used to purchase memberships."

A member of Deloney's slate was quoted saying "What they have attempted to do is to buy the election by soliciting donations in the name of the NAACP and then using those funds to buy memberships for their church members and others who probably never would have gotten involved were it not for the free membership." "If this is allowable then anyone with a few bucks can buy the NAACP up to and including the Ku Klux Klan."

Winfrey cited documents regarding local elections prohibits fund raising in local elections. Winfrey indicated a belief that the 120 memberships in contention would be voided.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AC Dumas
Every paid member has a right to attend any NAACP Membership Meeting and vote on action items! The Secretary certified that those in attendance were "members in good standing"with the Flint NAACP! This is an election year, just as in any election anywhere, people participate in the election they prefer. It's called DEMOCRACY! While I vote in every election from Political, Church and NAACP, some choose the election of their choice. Again, the Branch's Secretary mailed over 900 plus notifications that this meeting would take place. (Please read previous post). Some that received notification chose to attend this meeting. The Branch President had many "bought and paid" members also at that meeting. Are you saying that the members that don't support the president should have not been at that meeting? I have been a fully paid life member of the NAACP for many, many years also the former president of the Flint Branch of the NAACP and I know the Constitution and By - laws of the NAACP very well! The NAACP doesn't discriminate or disenfranchise voters, especially it's own! Secondly, to bring up Sis. Donna Ashburn-Poplar past is ungodly, to say the least. What if Jesus bought up our past? What about forgiveness and love, Pastor Martin? Do you preach from the Psalms of the Bible that King David had his loyal servant murdered to have his wife? Do you preach from the Apostle Paul's epistles, the one that murdered the Saints and torchered the body of believers? All of us have terrible past, but thanks be to God for his goodness and MERCIES! Everyone has a right to support their candidate without being tormented and without publicly humiliation! I am supporting Mrs. Donna Ashburn-Poplar for president! Mrs. Gilcreast is not MY choice nor the choice of others! Your choice is the current president, if she elects to run again, so be it. Mrs. Donna Ashburn-Poplar will be my guest on the "Truth shall make you free" broadcast with your host AC Dumas this Saturday morning on Flint's premier gospel radio station WFLT 1420am from 9:30-10am. This is a call in show 810-239-5733 and your calls are certainly welcome! Remember the seeds you sow, is the fruit one day you'll have to eat. Other words, you reap just what you sow!
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I remember researching the local NAACP for a story prior to 2002. I followed a trail of three evictions and unpaid bills. I remember being told to go to Windmill Place (before it burned) and asking how to find them. I was referred to a specific table in the food court where it was said they held their meetings.

The NAACP had worked with the Sugar Law Guild to address environmental racism in the area.

The current building is owned by the Gilcreasts and according to posts on Facebook, there are problems with leaks and mold. I am not sure what the comments mean about Aonie Gilcreast owning the former Hollywood Lounge. They sold this building before it was closed. That building also allegedly had problems with leaks.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

·AC Dumas

September 18 · Edited

"The Flint Branch of the NAACP race for officers and executive committee members is heating up!" Mrs. Donna Ashburn-Poplar, candidate for president of the Branch has registered close to 800 "new" members (@ $30.00 per member) since March... See More

Flint Fire Marshall shuts down Flint NAACP September meeting because of violation of Fire Code! (Over capacity)

Packed NAACP August Membership meeting! Members showing support for Mrs. Donna Ashburn-Poplar who is running for president of the Flint Branch. Close to 100 individuals came to address the current administration regarding concerns.

AC Dumas, Bethany Hazard and 17 others like this.

Sally Haywood-leonard Their money or sponsorships for new members. Buying the election?

September 18 at 8:44am ·

AC Dumas Individuals on the most part paying their own. At least 95%.

September 18 at 10:36am ·

Cerese Simpson Pennington Thanks for keeping us informed.

September 18 at 8:12pm ·..

Haleem Bobby Simpson APPRECIATE YOUR HONESTY!

September 18 at 11:36pm · .

Donna Ashburn-Poplar Thank you brother Dumas for sharing the remarkable work that my family and friends have done in securing NAACP MEMBERSHIPS. For the CURIOUS MIND, and Mrs. Sally Haywood-Leonard, through the GRACE and FAVOR of GOD I have a DEDICATED team that is comprised of GOD FEARING family members, extended family, friends, church family and we have have come together in a SPIRIT of ONENESS and UNITY and TOGETHER we have COLLECTIVELY SECURED over 800 hundred memberships from our family and friends who feel strongly that it is TIME to CHANGE the CURRENT FLINT NAACP LEADERSHIP and UNDOUBTEDLY BELIEVE THAT GOD has ANOINTED me and STRENGTHEN me to be the BUILDER and LEADER to LEAD as the next FLINT NAACP PRESIDENT. And because of their FAITH in GOD and Love and RESPECT for me and the TEAM they WITHOUT HESITATION are PLANTING $30.00 seeds in PURCHASING their NAACP MEMBERSHIPS so that THEY can VOTE in the NOVEMBER 2014 ELECTION. For the record as a DEDICATED and OBEDIENT TEAM we CONTRIBUTE our SUCCESS SOLELY on FOLLOWING the STRATEGY and PLAN given to us by GOD. And as a DIRECT RESULT GOD is giving us FAVOR in the eyes of EVERYONE who are PURCHASING their MEMBERSHIPS . Finally. and for the RECORD there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ILLEGAL about anyone PURCHASING memberships for others. COMPASSIONATE caring people have been PURCHASING NAACP MEMBERSHIPS for their family, friends, employees, and others for DECADES This is CONSIDERED NOBEL and an act of AIDING in the CONTINUOUS BUILDING of the OLDEST and LARGEST CIVIL RIGHTS ORGANIZATION In the WORLD. Therefore , ANYONE NEAR or FAR who would like to SUPPORT me and my TEAM by becoming a MEMBER of the FLINT NAACP or PURCHASE a membership for someone else in order to be eligible to VOTE in November you can inbox me or call me @ 810-789-2630 for details. Reminder all NAACP MEMBERSHIPS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY OCTOBER 18th 2014. 30-days prior to the NOVEMBER 18th ELECTION. To God Be The GLORY. Be Blessed

September 19 at 12:53pm · Edited · ..

AC Dumas The NAACP encourages memberships for gifts to family, friends, associates, etc. Also, the National NAACP encourages sponsorship for businesses and corporations that adhere to the NAACP beliefs! I encourage those that are critical of the NAACP to research the humble beginning and join the NAACP!

September 19 at 7:15am · Like · 2
Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Election approaching for Flint NAACP officers

Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on November 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM

FLINT, Michigan — This year’s race for Flint NAACP president has been anything but quiet.

Incumbent President Frances Gilcreast faces challengers Charles Winfrey and her predecessor, A.C. Dumas, in an election Sunday for the branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

The three-way contest would be enough to stir excitement, but added to the mix are questions about whether recent new memberships to the branch were properly handled.

Dumas and Winfrey said they’re concerned that some people who purchased memberships this summer were denied access to nominating meetings this fall. They’re also concerned that many memberships were added just before the election and want to know whether those new memberships were properly paid for.

Winfrey said more than 1,000 memberships have been added in recent months.

Dumas said he has asked an attorney to review the matter.

“I think it’s a problem with the branch as far as this election is going,” Dumas said. “I think for the election to go forward would be a miscarriage of justice.”

Gilcreast, president since 2004, said she was unaware of their allegations, but all of the election processes followed proper NAACP protocol, including the new memberships.

NAACP ELECTION

•What: The election of officers and at-large members of the Flint Branch of the NAACP Executive Committee will take place at Second Chance Church (formerly Stewart School) at 1950 Burr Blvd. in Flint.

•When: Polls will be open from 1-6 p.m.

•Details: In order to vote, one must be a member in good standing of the branch 30 days prior to the election. Picture identification is required.

“This organization has been around 101 years,” she said. “You’re always going to have folks trying to circumvent processes. They’ve been doing this election process since before I was born.”

The Rev. Gill Ford with the NAACP’s national office said he is aware of the complaints from the Flint branch, but that nothing is amiss. He said officials with the NAACP’s state office will oversee the election.

“The rules governing the date of memberships and the rights of membership are outlined in the bylaws,” Ford said. “At this point, (delaying the election) is not on my radar. All elections must be completed by Nov. 30.”

Gilcreast said she’s running for a fourth two-year term to continue her work with the NAACP, a leading civil rights organization that locally has investigated complaints of discrimination in housing and other areas.

She said the organization is focused on eliminating discrimination in any form.

She also wants the local branch to continue to focus on education and helping parents learn how to help their children attain higher education, she said.

“We work on the premise that education is the best advocate you can have,” she said. “That is your empowerment. From housing and health and wellness information, with all our committees, we try to empower this community.”

Dumas, a longtime community activist, said he’s running again because the local branch isn’t as focused on civil rights issues as it needs to be. Dumas served as president from 2002 to ’04, after easily beating former state Rep. Vera Rison and then-President E. Hill DeLoney.

Dumas said he’s focused on making sure black contractors get their fair share of federal stimulus-funded work coming into the community.

“We want to be about the business of civil rights,” he said. “I’m a no-nonsense person when it comes to civil rights. I say what I’m going to say, and I tell the truth.”

Winfrey, executive director of the New McCree Theatre, said he wants to make the branch more visible and accessible in the community.

He said economic development and the city’s high crime rate are some of the most serious issues facing the Flint community.

“I didn’t really see a voice speaking to those issues and those concerns,” said Winfrey, who was an aide to former Mayor Woodrow Stanley. “We need to put our talents and our gifts together to address economic development by building our own businesses and industries.”

Other races include:

1st Vice President: Reginald Flynn or Vivian Kelley

2nd Vice President: C. Fredrick Robinson - uncontested

Secretary: Alma Starks-Barnett (I) - uncontested

Treasurer: Delores Flynn or Rozella Jones (I)

Members-at-Large:

Lee Ester Black

Celia Turner

Terry Turner

Ronald Barry Robinson

Shirley Winfrey

Arnett Miller

Earl Stephens

Rafael Turner
Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The three-way contest would be enough to stir excitement, but added to the mix are questions about whether recent new memberships to the branch were properly handled.

Dumas and Winfrey said they’re concerned that some people who purchased memberships this summer were denied access to nominating meetings this fall. They’re also concerned that many memberships were added just before the election and want to know whether those new memberships were properly paid for.

Winfrey said more than 1,000 memberships have been added in recent months.

Dumas said he has asked an attorney to review the matter.

“I think it’s a problem with the branch as far as this election is going,” Dumas said. “I think for the election to go forward would be a miscarriage of justice.”

Gilcreast, president since 2004, said she was unaware of their allegations, but all of the election processes followed proper NAACP protocol, including the new memberships.
===================================================

It appears the victor is the one that can deliver the most members for the election!
Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Zoominfo

Founder

New Direction Human Development Agency

20 Total References
Web References

Not only did Lock deny these ...
www.flinttalk.com, 14 Feb 2005 [cached]
Not only did Lock deny these requests, allegedly the HR Director Donna Poplar also refused to investigate and found no wrongdoing.
Complaints to the Human Resources Department in 2012 and 2013 brought no investigations and Poplar threatened Mcgee with firing if allegations were false.

Felon taught in Flint - district can't explain how Poplar was hired
aa.mlive.com, 22 Dec 2001 [cached]
Saturday, December 22, 2001

Especially one whose conviction was as well-known as Donna D. Poplar's.
Despite a state law that says felons can't teach in local schools and dozens of newspaper and television stories publicizing her criminal trials, Poplar worked for part of the past two school years in Flint, district officials confirmed this week.
Poplar is the former executive director of the Genesee County Community Action Agency.She was fired from that job before her conviction more than one year ago for defrauding Genesee Township businessman Tom Joubran in a bribery-related scheme.
"I don't know how that got past (our people). ...It is unfortunate that it happened.
The Flint Journal could not reach Poplar for comment.
She has filed a grievance against the district over her employment, which school officials said ended about three weeks ago.
Although Poplar did not have a contract, she gained union rights from working more than 30 days in the past school year.At least part of her work has been as a substitute teacher in the district's Helping One Student to Succeed program, a volunteer-based reading effort.
Board of Education President James Campbell said the school system will investigate how Poplar ended up on the payroll.
Assistant Director of Labor Relations David Comsa said Poplar apparently applied for certification to teach - which includes a background check - through the Genesee Intermediate School District after being charged in September 1999 with accepting $50,000 from Joubran in an alleged bribery scheme.
But because Poplar wasn't convicted until late 2000, the charge never showed up in her March background check.
Prosecutors charged that Poplar convinced Joubran she could end a criminal investigation of him in exchange for the money.
The background check is required in Michigan to ensure those with felony and some misdemeanor convictions don't end up in the classroom.In Genesee County, the intermediate school district processes the checks.
School officials said they aren't sure why her conviction - covered in newspapers and on television - never registered with district employees.
Poplar was convicted of obtaining money under false pretenses over $100, a maximum 10-year felony.In October 2000, she was sentenced by Genesee Circuit Judge Archie L. Hayman to 2 years' probation, 25 hours of community service and 90 days under house arrest.
Poplar was back in the news this year after she formed New Direction Human Development Agency, a nonprofit group, and asked for - but was not given - federal grant funds from the city of Flint.
As recently as June, the Workforce Development Board for the area - under pressure from the county Board of Commissioners - pulled back from a proposal to give Poplar's group federal funds that would help get her organization off the ground.

The council will consider replacing ...
www.flinttalk.com, 25 Mar 2013 [cached]
The council will consider replacing Frances Gilcreast, president of the NAACP Flint branch, with Donna Poplar, former Flint city human resources director, said City Council President Scott Kincaid.
As the former human resources director with the city of Flint, Poplar would be a good fit for the Board of Managers and would be able to help with any issues at Hurley, Kincaid said.
Poplar was one of several city employees who was laid off by former emergency manager Michael Brown.
The council will consider replacing Hurley Board member Frances Gilcreast, president of the NAACP Flint branch, with Donna Poplar, former Flint city human resources director, said City Council President Scott Kincaid.
Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive. com Postponed appointing Donna Poplar by 7-1 vote.
Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.comNow they're discussing Donna Poplar's appointment, which would replace Frances Gilcreast, who also is the president of the NAACP Flint branch....
Donna Poplar is being considered for appointment to the secretary position, currently held by Francis Gilcrest, but they delayed that decision.
The city's charter says majority of the board members must live inside the city, and Poplar does not.
Poplar was said to be so angry that he was not there to support her, that rumor has it she is gathering absentee ballots to support AC Dumas. Actually she needed more than BB because the vote was 5-3.

fl.mlive.com, 22 Dec 2001 [cached]
Especially one whose conviction was as well-known as Donna D. Poplar's.
Despite a state law that says felons can't teach in local schools and dozens of newspaper and television stories publicizing her criminal trials, Poplar worked for part of the past two school years in Flint, district officials confirmed this week.
Poplar is the former executive director of the Genesee County Community Action Agency.She was fired from that job before her conviction more than one year ago for defrauding Genesee Township businessman Tom Joubran in a bribery-related scheme.
"I don't know how that got past (our people). ...It is unfortunate that it happened.
The Flint Journal could not reach Poplar for comment.
She has filed a grievance against the district over her employment, which school officials said ended about three weeks ago.
Although Poplar did not have a contract, she gained union rights from working more than 30 days in the past school year.At least part of her work has been as a substitute teacher in the district's Helping One Student to Succeed program, a volunteer-based reading effort.
Board of Education President James Campbell said the school system will investigate how Poplar ended up on the payroll.
Assistant Director of Labor Relations David Comsa said Poplar apparently applied for certification to teach - which includes a background check - through the Genesee Intermediate School District after being charged in September 1999 with accepting $50,000 from Joubran in an alleged bribery scheme.
But because Poplar wasn't convicted until late 2000, the charge never showed up in her March background check.
Prosecutors charged that Poplar convinced Joubran she could end a criminal investigation of him in exchange for the money.
The background check is required in Michigan to ensure those with felony and some misdemeanor convictions don't end up in the classroom.In Genesee County, the intermediate school district processes the checks.
School officials said they aren't sure why her conviction - covered in newspapers and on television - never registered with district employees.
Poplar was convicted of obtaining money under false pretenses over $100, a maximum 10-year felony.In October 2000, she was sentenced by Genesee Circuit Judge Archie L. Hayman to 2 years' probation, 25 hours of community service and 90 days under house arrest.
Poplar was back in the news this year after she formed New Direction Human Development Agency, a nonprofit group, and asked for - but was not given - federal grant funds from the city of Flint.
As recently as June, the Workforce Development Board for the area - under pressure from the county Board of Commissioners - pulled back from a proposal to give Poplar's group federal funds that would help get her organization off the ground.

Alliance taps Poplar's agency
www.mu.mlive.com, 2 June 2001 [cached]
Flint - Not everyone on the board of Career Alliance Inc. is happy that the group has decided to give money to a new agency headed by Donna Poplar.
Career Alliance , the state's workforce development organization for Genesee and Shiawassee counties , approved $150 , 000 to Poplar's New Direction agency to run an adult-worker services program as part of a list of funding recommendations.Career Alliance awards contracts for a number of services , including skills training and job search.
Poplar is the former executive director of the Genesee County Community Action Agency convicted last fall of defrauding a businessman in an alleged bribery scheme.

Donna Poplar was very successful when she was at GCCAA , said board member Denise Chambers , who is director of the Genesee County Family Independence Agency.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The most disturbing reported incident of racial and sexual harassment is the September 21, 2010 incident. Over time Edwards had her office ransacked and some belongings thrown in the trash and had repeated computer incidents of a racial and sexual nature. However in this instance, she received a copy of a newspaper photo of herself with "Monkey Town" written on it and an arrow pointed to her.
The note with the photo read "UR1 ugly lil monkey looking black b*tch. U should stop f**king Ray and stay in your place under a f**king rock." signed your co-workers.

The Michigan State Police requested to investigate and the Ombudsman had a written request to the FBI to investigate because of the threatening nature of the letters. Not only did Lock deny these requests, allegedly the HR Director Donna Poplar also refused to investigate and found no wrongdoing.

Edwards made a complaint to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights on October 11, 2010, but by April 18, 2011 she received more letters.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County taxpayer bill on park ranger lawsuit: $400,000

Genesee County has agreed to pay a former and current park ranger $400,000 to settle a lawsuit that claimed they were disciplined for ticketing a politically...

www.mlive.com

AC Dumas This is not who the NAACP or what it represents! The NAACP is the nation's largest, oldest and boldest civil rights organization in the United States! The NAACP DOESN'T condone the actions of any of it's members that violate the laws. The actions of the 2 individuals mentioned in this article was undoubtedly wrong, thus costing the taxpayers of Genesee County hundreds of thousands of dollars! As the former president of the Flint Branch of the NAACP, I am compelled to support the candidacy of Mrs. Donna Ashburn-Poplar for president! Mrs. Poplar has the capacity to lead this organization and galvanize this community, if given the opportunity to serve. Since March 10, 2014 to date, her team has registered nearly 900 "new" members ($ 30.00 per member) showing that people are longing for positive change. I believe that she will be that agent or conduit for the much needed change! The election is scheduled to be held sometime in November. In order to vote, you must be a "member in good standing" at least 30 days prior to the election. For more complete information regarding the candidacy of Mrs. Poplar, feel free to contact her at 810-789-2630. The NAACP was founded in 1909 in the City of New York by 2 African Americans and 2 White Americans and yet remains the nation's premier civil rights organization. Membership is Power! I urge you to join, TODAY! "THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES!

Yesterday at 8:10am
Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:08 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This issue was dealt with in another thread about whether the NAACP is a force to be feared. Also in that thread the entire summary of the following case can be found:

United States Disrict Court
Easternn District of Michigan
Southern Division

United States of America vs %57,922.00
Civil No. 91-cv-73819 DT
Judge Horace W. Gilmore

Verified Claim of interest in $57,922.00 UNited States Currency
"I, Aonie Gilcreast, have and do hereby claim an ownership in $57, 922.00 U.S. Currency which constitutes the subject matter of United States v $57,922.00 U.S. Currency, Civil No. 91-cv-73819-DT now pending in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan."
dated and signed August 9, 1991.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Latest Flint appointment sparks controversy; Donna Poplar ...

blog.mlive.com/flint-city-beat/.../latest_flint_appointment_spark.html

Aug 25, 2009 - FLINT -- Donna Poplar, a former county employee who was convicted ... record expunged, has been appointed the city's new personnel director.

Who is behind the recall? A look at the people driving the ..

www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.../recall_mugs_xxx.html

Michigan Live

Nov 8, 2008 - Flint Journal extra: Related article: Flint Mayor Don Williamson in fight to keep ... Donna Poplar, a consultant and former head of the Genesee County ... "People of all different stripes want to go in a new direction," Harris said.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:36 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: